As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[3D Printing] A toy to build toys...New to the hobby....

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    On that note, Swedish company 3D Prima launched their own flexplate system just now. Might be an option for us Euros, Whambam ships from China and I'll probably be hit by customs import fee when they get around to handling my package that arrived in Sweden on Aug 28th and still hasn't been processed because PostNord is a disaster. :rotate:

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Decided to try a test print without painters tape. I thought I had my leveling dialed in real nice.

6rjtl36c4a7u.jpg

But when I popped them off, there was no bottom, just tiny mostly transparent little squares, with lines between them and a pretty good divot right in the middle of my build sheet. Try leveling things again, and it's pinching the build plate when I z-home. Run adjustments. Z-home again, still pinching. Check the z end stop switch, and the metal arm had come if, so it was going a couple mm father down to press the plastic button.
    Reattached the arm and Z-home is working again. Unfortunately my build sheet is trashed, so back to painters tape until I decide if I'm getting glass or not. Jacking up my build sheet the first time I printing directly on it is a special kind of dumb.

Also, can I get my @ removed from that quote tree.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
  • Options
    Ikea Lack hack progress!

Two extenders attacked with with glue and screws, but then I decided that just glue is probably plenty enough for this, so I could use my first prototypes instead of printing two more extenders with screw-thingies.

hbt7m1Kl.jpg

• Options
    Down side of OctoPrint webcam mentoring monitoring, you don't see when the side opposite the camera pulls up from the bed.

ezygny14bf4g.jpg

Still gonna be a useful print I think, but a bummer to come home to.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Lack hack complete! Right now I'm only using two tables, we'll see if I add the third table some time - right now the upper edge of the delta printer is at nose level, so that's a pretty good height for it.

Turns out my floor is really uneven up against the wall so I had to prop up one leg to make it stable.

o5uk1fba3lla.png

• Options
    Rapid prototyping going through three case designs over the weekend for a smart air flow regulator for my smoker.

tb16zo8hrmb5.jpg

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    So getting the carbon fiber texture on the print was way easier.
    Just needed to buy a textured carbon fiber vinyl sheet from amazon and put it on the bed.

GBEwC7j.jpg

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    So I'm gonna have to do some trouble shooting on my z. Seems all my prints fall over at around the 1.5" mark.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    So I have an Apple Watch now and I'm looking at printing a charging stand for it.

hmmmmmm

s7P1XKY.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    Well that is a new one. Heard a "twang" from the printer, (kinda sounded like filament snapping) walked over and my build plate was empty. Found my print a few feet away on the floor.

ffnzxnzbnbjl.jpg

Can totally see where the nozzle got stuck. I think the print might have pulled up from the plate.

After a couple nice succulent pot prints, I though I had everything dialed in, but I guess not.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Ughhhh. My nozzle heater stopped working again. I guess I need to figure out where the cable is worn. And this after half an hour spent levelling the bed to get it just right.

Luckilly its not bad so far as failed prints. Theres no mess to clean up. It just starts printing nothing after a bit.

Edit- deffo a loose or crossed wire. Was able to get it started by jiggling the wires.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hmmm anyone got recommendations for resin printers?

Currently I'm looking at the Anycubic Photon since it's only $279 right now, or the monoprice mini delux SLA. At a glance it looks like either is fine, but its always nice to hear if you fine folk have any first hand experience with them.

I haven't actually been using my ender5 too much recently, although I did print bed stabilizers (huuuuuuuge improvement) and some brackets in preparation for eventually moving the electronics box to the back vertical rather than the bottom. With the way it's oriented by default, you have to flip the printer on its side to do any work with the board, so it'll be less of a hurdle to actually modify things when I finally get that done.

I also need to install the auto bed leveler I bought... I'm just so lazy since it means flashing firmware and I dont want to deal with the fallout if I brick the board! Should really just get into the spirit of it and dive in though, really.

However I did print a dice storage/roll tray for DnD, will maybe remember to add pictures here later. There's definitely lots of room for improvement on the next iteration but I'm pretty happy with it since it was also my first attempt at using openSCAD instead of FreeCAD for the design.

• Options
    Friend has the Anycubic Photon and makes excellent-looking stuff with it.

Also this just showed up in my feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHZxve6fjDQ

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Yes hello I just got certified to use my local library's MakerBot Replicator.

Decided I might as well bring home something special.
    X4OuoIv.jpg
    Maybe next time I'll bring home a better camera. :snap:

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    3d printed a potato cam as well as a mini!

Also not sure if anyone has seen, but Prusa has a mk3 mini coming out:
    https://www.prusa3d.com/original-prusa-mini/

And also have an XL coming out (or at least teased).

Mini is a pretty good price point I'd think. @bowen n

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Second print, first problem. Less than ten minutes before the print finished I heard a clicking from the extruder and saw nothing was coming out. I fixed the spool but didn't know how to step the layers back and my second model came off the tray with the last millimeter or so chopped off its nose, arms and one foot.

Debating whether to print another or try and salvage this one.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Finally getting around to dialling in the flexplate for my Ender 3, but it's so much thinner than both the glass plate and the original surface that I can't raise the print bed high enough to meet the nozzle. And the Z-stop doesn't go any further down unless I do some surgery to it, so I guess that's the next step.

• Options
    Sometimes you just need to take a saw to your 3D printer.

w0Iphxol.jpg

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Or could have printed a new one. Took the easy way out!

• Options
    1/4 scale Abe Lincoln from the Smithsonian 3d scan of his Life Mask

afhd0f44yal5.jpg

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    It looked good, so I went and hopped in the bathtub, and then it looked less good. This is PETG, so I guess I need to experiment a bit with the bed temperature.

0m4tkj3ovgmu.png

Extremely smooth first layer though, there's essentially no texture at all on the PEI surface.

szs7jt8xlqfs.png

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm having such a hard time getting my bed level on the Ender 3. Just replaced all the bed springs, thinking that would be the cure. Hasn't made a whole lot of difference. Considering getting one of those touch sensors, anyone got one of em, know if that'd help?

(Also I got a buncha those Uxcell yellow springs leftover if anyone wants a set!)

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with the Anycubic photon?

Most of what I'm doing is related to wargaming miniatures and my Ender 3 just doesn't cut it with some of the more detailed stuff. Thinking about getting a small resin printer and the photon is reviewed well... just wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Man, resin printers are getting huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rw3AN-67wY

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    There's some plant based resins that just come out, too. They're a bit more flexible, they are still pretty gnarly to interact with directly (like most resins) but once cured they are less off-gassy and a little bit safer to interact with.

I put off getting a 3dprinter because it looked like resin was the way to go and the next 2-3 years will be a big deal for them it looks like.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Friend has the Anycubic Photon and makes excellent-looking stuff with it.

Also this just showed up in my feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHZxve6fjDQ

I knew I was going to like this video as the first thing he shows as a print is a Nova bust!

My favorite!

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Looking at an anycubic photon and they have a bundle that includes an FEP

What is that and do I need one?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Khraul wrote: »
    Looking at an anycubic photon and they have a bundle that includes an FEP

What is that and do I need one?

FEP film is the clear plastic film used as the bottom of the resin tank so the UV light can shine through it. But it is soft and will get damaged over time and need replacement. They are including a 5 pack of replacement film. However, it's about half the cost to buy by the foot than their precut sheets: https://www.mcmaster.com/85905k66

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    That's way cheaper

Thanks!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    This is absolutely not bad for FDM printing.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    If anyone is thinking about a resin printer, the anycubic photon is on for $239 right now... For another 10 hours from the time of this post (930 PST).

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is this printer on amazon the same one as the one for $239 on the anycubic site?

ANYCUBIC Photon UV LCD 3D Printer Assembled Innovation with 2.8'' Smart Touch Color Screen Off-line Print 4.53"(L) x 2.56"(W) x 6.1"(H) Printing Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TVW9HGH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TGm0DbV9EZSGA

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is this printer on amazon the same one as the one for $239 on the anycubic site?

ANYCUBIC Photon UV LCD 3D Printer Assembled Innovation with 2.8'' Smart Touch Color Screen Off-line Print 4.53"(L) x 2.56"(W) x 6.1"(H) Printing Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TVW9HGH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TGm0DbV9EZSGA

Looks like it to me

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options

Looks like it to me

Yea, same. Was just confused by the price. It says $289.99 normally while the one on anycubic is normally $419.99. Didn't know if the one on anycubic was a better version and if I should get it while it is currently on sale or still just go with the amazon purchase.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Nah, the anycubic just has a massively inflated MSRP... it's regularly on their site for $419 $289

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Nah, the anycubic just has a massively inflated MSRP... it's regularly on their site for $419 $289

That's good, I've been feeling kind of stressed about getting the one on anycubic. I'll just continue my plan on seeing whether the one on amazon goes on sale on black Friday or cyber Monday and grab one.

• Options

That's good, I've been feeling kind of stressed about getting the one on anycubic. I'll just continue my plan on seeing whether the one on amazon goes on sale on black Friday or cyber Monday and grab one.

If you grab one, don't pay for the deal that comes with resin.... the stock resin is, from what I've read, really bad to get on your skin and generates some rather noxious fumes.

The plant-based resin is supposed to be far less toxic and generates almost no odor

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options

If you grab one, don't pay for the deal that comes with resin.... the stock resin is, from what I've read, really bad to get on your skin and generates some rather noxious fumes.

The plant-based resin is supposed to be far less toxic and generates almost no odor

Yea, a recommended video popped up on youtube about anycubic photon printer safety and that resin sounds real bad.

So with my plan to get a 3D printer on black Friday or cyber Monday, should I stick with the anycubic photon or is there a better resin printer to look for on sale?