As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Yep. Looks like it's starting. How long before Trump declares ICE to only answer to the federal government and allows them to operate with immunity wherever in the country they want with no regard to local laws?

About five seconds before one of them gets arrested trying to act on that.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    ICE is now shooting first, asking questions later - https://www.newschannel5.com/news/police-respond-to-shots-fired-call-at-antioch-food-lion

You're at that point already

Of course they blame Nashville for not cooperating.

Fuck them

I do like how:

1) The FBI basically says, "Yeah this guy's not dangerous. Like, at all." and
    2) Mayor Briley puts out a statement saying that his priority is the safety and well-being of all "residents" (not citizens, residents!) of Nashville. As in, "not the whims of these ICE thugs from out of town". And also MNPD is looking for the victim so that he can get medical attention, not so we can turn him in.

So basically everyone who's not ICE is like, fuck ICE.

DoJ is still going to charge him with assaulting a federal officer(from the original link, they’re investigating that)

wbBv3fj.png
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    ICE is now shooting first, asking questions later - https://www.newschannel5.com/news/police-respond-to-shots-fired-call-at-antioch-food-lion

You're at that point already
    ICE spokesperson Bryan Cox told NewsChannel 5 that this is an example of how Nashville's policy of not cooperating with ICE could be dangerous to the community.

Fuck that noise, Bryan. This is clearly an example of how ICE's policies are dangerous to communities. This event is even further proof that no one should be cooperating with ICE at all.

• DunderDunder Registered User regular
    ICE delenda est.

I’d effort post but phone only+ a few drinks down... there needs to be Nuremberg-sequel reckoning here.

• NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yep. Looks like it's starting. How long before Trump declares ICE to only answer to the federal government and allows them to operate with immunity wherever in the country they want with no regard to local laws?

That is how federal law enforcement works already because Federal law is supreme to state law when they conflict. The DEA, for example, has only stopped targeting grow operations in some states in which cannabis is decriminalized or legal because of a lack of manpower, not a lack of mandate. And in the case of immigration precedent is on the side of the Federal government, not the states. Local and state governments, because of police powers, can order their agencies not to assist but they cannot order a federal agent or officer not to enforce federal law within their state.

NSDFRand on
    NSDFRand wrote: »

That is how federal law enforcement works already because Federal law is supreme to state law when they conflict. The DEA, for example, has only stopped targeting grow operations in some states in which cannabis is decriminalized or legal because of a lack of manpower, not a lack of mandate. And in the case of immigration precedent is on the side of the Federal government, not the states. Local and state governments, because of police powers, can order their agencies not to assist but they cannot order a federal agent or officer not to enforce federal law within their state.

ICE isn't exactly staying within the bounds of the law so...

• NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

How is that relevant to what I responded to? That is, that ICE enforcing federal law "without regard for local law" is literally how the federal government functions? ICE, like any federal law enforcement, can act with "immunity" (I am assuming this is meant to be Qualified Immunity) and federal law enforcement, being part of the federal executive branch, already "answers" to the federal government and not the states.

This is effectively the same as saying "next thing you know, Trump will declare that the active duty Army answers only to the federal government" as if that was not obviously how our system functions.

The fight over state enforcement of immigration law was already won by the federal government.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I think the issue @JaysonFour was arguing, wasn't regarding immigration law, but local laws in general.

Like assault, murder, false imprisonment.

Yeah, I know that middle one is probably a stretch, but the other two, and many other potential crimes, aren't.

And I can absolutely see Trump signing an order that allegations against ICE have to be handled by ICE internally.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    I think the issue JaysonFour was arguing, wasn't regarding immigration law, but local laws in general.

Like assault, murder, false imprisonment.

Yeah, I know that middle one is probably a stretch, but the other two, and many other potential crimes, aren't.

And I can absolutely see Trump signing an order that allegations against ICE have to be handled by ICE internally.

Exactly. He's got such a hate-boner for brown people that I wouldn't put it past him to try to allow ICE agents to break local and state law in the pursuit of illegal immigrants- much like what happened in Nashville. Hell, I fully expect him to try and pardon the first ICE agent that kills an illegal immigrant and gets charged by a state or local government of murder. I mean, they could beat the shit out of a family member to get them to talk and he'd argue it was in the pursuit of an illegal immigrant and therefore anyone who opposes it must be weak on immigration or some psychotic shit- and besides, if they would have just talked, they would have been fine.

Immigration is his golden issue, and the more and harder he can stick it to brown people or to dehumanize them, the more his base eats that all up.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    Polaritie wrote: »

How is that relevant to what I responded to? That is, that ICE enforcing federal law "without regard for local law" is literally how the federal government functions? ICE, like any federal law enforcement, can act with "immunity" (I am assuming this is meant to be Qualified Immunity) and federal law enforcement, being part of the federal executive branch, already "answers" to the federal government and not the states.

This is effectively the same as saying "next thing you know, Trump will declare that the active duty Army answers only to the federal government" as if that was not obviously how our system functions.

The fight over state enforcement of immigration law was already won by the federal government.

I mean ICE is exceeding what federal law permits.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

Not long until Trump tweets that ICE agents are to be giving lodgings in citizen's homes whenever they want, no questions asked.

Nobeard on
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular

Brian Entin is a reporter for WSVN working out of Florida.

Around 75,000 people were rendered homeless by Dorian from the Bahamas. Most of the disaster refugees are heading to Nassau and Florida. The capital of the Bahamas cannot handle taking all the people so the lions share need to head to Florida. This last minute change to require people get official documents that were lost in a massive hurricane that destroyed everything they own is going to cause mass deaths as people are forced into a crowded city that cannot possibly handle the crisis of this severity.

If this belongs in the Dorian thread then my apologies. This has the distinct stink of the Steven Miller immigration attitudes.

VRXwDW7.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    That chaps my ass so bad. The EVS and Food and Beverage departments at my work are dotted with a couple dozen Caribbean islanders, more than 10 of which first came to the US after Hurricanes or the Hispaniola earthquakes and they were not only allowed in with very little fuss, but have thrived here and several of them are either in the naturalization process or have already received their citizenship.

To see people like them callously treated like they don't matter and have seemingly no value...fuck this administration so hard.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Climate change and the consequences of it were always going to hurt the people least responsible for it. We're just starting to see it faster than we anticipated. Tightly restrictive border policies are only going to endanger lives as these events worsen.

Metzger Meister on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    [quote[Something has now changed.[/quote]

Yes. Something.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Good news, everybody! Once again, America is an example to the rest of the world!

India builds detention camps for up to 1.9m people 'stripped of citizenship' in Assam

First, I'll acknowledge America aren't the only ones doing this. Clearly China and the Rohingya, my own Australia also has heinous detention camps.

Second, I'll acknowledge that India MIGHT have done this regardless.

But I have no fucking doubt, that under a different Presidency, this would have been a significant issue for the US President to deal with. That there'd be political pressure, possibly some financial pressure. That it wouldn't have been acceptable under a hypothetical Hillary, or under Obama, Bush Jr, or Clinton.

Under this Administration, the only objection I could see from the White House, is Trump wanting royalties on use of his ideas.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    ICE prepares for its transition to officially becoming the American Gestapo.

ICE is seeking a vendor to provide them with "hyper realistic training devices," essentially mock houses, apartments, hotels, in "Arizona," and "Chicago," where agents can train for "urban combat."

Darwin BondGraham is an independent journalist working with The Guardian and others.

Nashville wasn't a fluke, but I'm sure we all knew that already.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Mayabird wrote: »
    ICE prepares for its transition to officially becoming the American Gestapo.

Darwin BondGraham is an independent journalist working with The Guardian and others.

Nashville wasn't a fluke, but I'm sure we all knew that already.

Great, here's hoping Miller and his ilk can't push them all the way to Einsatzgruppen.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    They also bought $35M of phone hacking tools from the Israelis:

Toler is a researcher for Bellingcat.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/sep/12/california-private-prison-ban-immigration-ice
    The private prison industry is set to be upended after California lawmakers passed a bill on Wednesday banning the facilities from operating in the state. The move will probably also close down four large immigration detention facilities that can hold up to 4,500 people at a time.

The state’s governor, Gavin Newsom, must still sign AB32, but last year he signaled support for the ban and said during his inaugural speech in January that the state should “end the outrage of private prisons once and for all”.

Currently, one company, the Geo Group, operates four private prisons in California under contract with the California department of corrections and rehabilitation. The contracts for these four prisons expire in 2023 and cannot be renewed under AB32, except to comply with a federal court order to reduce crowding in state-run facilities.

In addition to signaling a major criminal justice reform, AB32 also has become a flashpoint in California’s fight with the Trump administration over the treatment of immigrants.

The bill’s author, the assemblymember Rob Bonta, originally wrote it only to apply to contracts between the state’s prison authority and private, for-profit prison companies. But in June, Bonta amended the bill to apply to the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency’s four major California detention centers.

Bonta’s amendment, say immigrant rights advocates, appears to have caught Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (Ice) and the private prison companies at a moment when their current contracts are expiring. The result is that instead of slowly phasing out immigration detention centers as their existing contracts expire years down the road, most will face closure next year – unless Ice and its private prison contractors find a workaround.

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Since this is the thread to discuss ICE, they recently released a letter to the American Public. I'm copying the text here for anyone who doesn't want to visit their webpage.
    To: The American Public
    From: Field Office Directors, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO)
    Across the country, a national debate about current and future U.S. immigration policy is growing louder by the day. As field office directors for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO), we oversee the offices that enforce immigration laws within the interior of the United States, and we want to set the record straight.

ICE officers are sworn federal law enforcement officers who enforce U.S. immigration laws created by Congress to keep this country safe. As such, it greatly concerns us when advocacy groups, citizens and politicians share and support incorrect or misleading information about our mission that is a vital part of national security and public safety. These misconceptions may lead to violence, which places innocent bystanders, aliens and law enforcement officers in danger. This summer, two ICE facilities – the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma, Washington, and the ERO Field Office in San Antonio, Texas – have been targets of lawless gunfire. Transparency and accurate information are necessary to build trust and foster useful and ongoing collaboration in communities across the United States and should form the basis for civil discourse and for lawmakers as they attempt to address the border security crisis.

ICE makes targeted arrests every day; ICE does not conduct “raids”
    ICE does not conduct raids or sweeps and does not operate roadblocks or checkpoints. The use of these terms evokes images of indiscriminate enforcement actions taken without probable cause. Nothing could be further from the truth. ICE focuses its limited resources first and foremost by targeting those who pose the greatest threat to public safety and border security, and our officers make arrests every single day. ICE does not target aliens indiscriminately; the agency conducts investigations and gathers intelligence on specific individuals and targets them for immigration enforcement based solely on their violations of federal law. Targets are most frequently those who were previously arrested on criminal charges or have blatant disregard for U.S. immigration laws. The agency’s arrest statistics clearly reflect this. Nationally, approximately 90 percent of all people arrested by ICE during fiscal year 2019 either had a criminal conviction, a pending criminal charge, had illegally re-entered the United States after being previously removed (a felony charge) or were an immigration fugitive subject to a judge’s final order of removal.

ICE does not need a warrant to make an arrest
    ICE officers are sworn federal law enforcement officers who operate within the confines of the law. Section 287 of the Immigration and Nationality Act provides ICE officers the authority to arrest aliens without a judicial warrant. In fact, no judge in this country has the authority to issue a warrant for a civil immigration violation. Congress, by statute, vested this authorization solely to supervisory immigration officers. Local police officers don’t need a warrant when they encounter someone breaking the law in a public space, and the same holds true for ICE officers. Obstructing or otherwise interfering with an ICE arrest is a crime, and anyone involved may be subject to prosecution under federal law. In addition, encouraging others to interfere or attempt to obstruct an arrest is extremely reckless and places all parties in jeopardy

ICE officers treat detainees with dignity and respect
    ICE provides safe, humane and appropriate conditions of confinement for individuals in its custody. ICE has a series of detention standards that ensure that individuals with medical conditions or other specific needs receive exceptional care while in our custody, which exceed the standards of most local jails and prisons. Individuals in our custody are also provided access to legal representation, translation services, recreation, and a multitude of other offerings.

ICE officers are aware of the real and emotional impact of immigration enforcement
    The immediate and extreme impact an immigration enforcement action has on an individual and their family is not lost on our officers. These ICE officers and their families live and shop, as well as attend schools and places of worship in the same communities. Casting aspersions about our officers’ intentions only spreads fear in a community; this is unfair and without merit. Our officers do their jobs professionally, humanely, and treat those they encounter with dignity and respect. It is unconscionable when those who have ideological or political beliefs that differ from the law, misdirect their attacks on ICE officers who are charged with upholding laws Congress has passed.

We know that immigration enforcement is an extremely polarizing issue, but we ask the American people to understand that the federal laws we enforce today are the same ones that have been law for decades. Our mission remains consistent: to identify, arrest and remove aliens who present a danger to national security or are a risk to public safety, as well as those who enter the country illegally or otherwise undermine the integrity of our immigration laws and our border control efforts. We want the American public to know the truth, but also to understand how critical cooperation among ICE, local officials, and the community is an indispensable component to promote public safety and national security.

Respectfully signed,
    ICE Field Office Directors

This is, of course, standard obfuscation and propaganda bullshit. But I found it particularly most bone-chilling that they outright say "ICE does not need a warrant to make an arrest", because that shit is scary and you can bet they'll be leaning into that heavily. Previous successful attempts at preventing ICE's bullshit have seemingly relied on people holding them accountable for warrants, but now they're just outright publicly saying they don't give a fuck about them. They'll just claim everyone is a alien, and that's that.

VuIBhrs.png
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    You don't typically a warrant to carry out an arrest. Warrants are most commonly issued to police agencies when they need permission to enter a private residence and make an arrest or to conduct an arrest.

It's why ICE had been so keen to scoop people up when they show up for court dates or work because they can grab them without getting a judge involved.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    American Gestapo is coming together nicely, it seems

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    ICE doesn't do checkpoints but CBP does and I guarantee they're comparing notes.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Catching up on this thread after a week or so away. Is this "just" more of ICE's usual rate of escalating shittiness, or are they gearing up for something (e.g., mass raids)?

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Catching up on this thread after a week or so away. Is this "just" more of ICE's usual rate of escalating shittiness, or are they gearing up for something (e.g., mass raids)?

Authoritarian propaganda.

Incenjucar wrote: »

I should have clarified: I was referring to them buying hacking tools and seeking training for urban combat.

Incenjucar wrote: »

I should have clarified: I was referring to them buying hacking tools and seeking training for urban combat.

It's always escalation, it's just a matter of the speed. This looks like they're aiming to assault cities.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    "ICE does not need a warrant to make an arrest"

...if they can just snap up everyone, I fully expect to see them grab local and state-level opponents to intimidate Trump's opponents, and then outright disappear people who raise too much fuss.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    If ICE doesn't pull something during the elections I'm going to assume it's because Russia just fired something and it would be a waste of effort.

If Russia actually wanted to bomb us (they don't), then the ideal time to do it would have been during the chaos of Trump's first days in office :razz:

ICE fucking (more) with minorities just before or during the elections is depressingly plausible, though.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    People should really stop trying to externalize problems by assuming Russia is to blame

The sickness comes from within

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    I did not intend to imply Russia was actually going to do anything. I just don't have a hat to eat or a pig with aerodynamic potential.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    They can just camp outside of voting places and arrest anyone who looks even slightly darker skinned. It's not like they care whether or not the people they arrest are Americans.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    They can just camp outside of voting places and arrest anyone who looks even slightly darker skinned. It's not like they care whether or not the people they arrest are Americans.

They're totally gonna do that

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Given the slim margins of Trump’s win, and the granularity of the data they have, it might not even need to be that many stake outs in that many states.

I bet (C+ Santa Monica fascist) Stephen Miller is just giddy over the potential for voter suppression here.

Of course, a handful of high profile arrests near future polling locations in the days leading up to it might do just as well.

So they might as well do both.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Depending on who's running against Trump and the national mood, I'm not so sure they'll have the balls to try it.

Or that it wouldn't backfire horribly and drive turnout.

Or get members of ICE shot.

And there's the whole 'now we have to have a civil war' thing if an election is stolen by arresting American citizens at the polls.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    "ICE makes targeted arrests every day; ICE does not conduct “raids”"

This was just LAST MONTH

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

This was just LAST MONTH

They’re trying to make you see five lights when there are four.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

This was just LAST MONTH

They’re trying to make you see five lights when there are four.

Bellyfeel

This discussion has been closed.