As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Afterparty & Quest for Conquest out today!

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I really wouldn't bother with Greedfall. The mission design is terrible and it's not one off. Example: Get mission. Go to area that is usually nowhere near. Speak to someone. Return to original mission giver. Go back to place you just came from. Speak to person again. Return to mission giver. Go WITH mission giver to place you were just at. Confront someone. Return to mission giver for reward.

It's the same thing over and over and since you don't actually have any real degree of agency for the most part I don't really know what your purpose is in the outcome short of just wasting time going here, there and everywhere. There's some interesting parts to the plot but it's not worth the very, very slow slog walking from a to b to c to d to e to f to g back to a to b to c to d over and over.

I’m a little more forgiving since this isn’t my first go-around with Spiders. For them, it is the culmination of their mission to make a classic Bioware game, with all its worts.

The weird thing is that the opening act introduced a neat mechanic - a choice to immediately fast travel back to the quest giver - and the rest of the game mostly forgets to use it.

It is also highlighting why “neutral blank slate protagonist” may just be an all-around poor choice when dealing with heavy themes. The game is heavy-handed and earnest, but the quest writing jumps all over the place in terms of message.

It’s a perennial problem in Spiders’ games. Expecting a great game from them feels like expecting the hare to beat the tortoise.

The weird dumb things that Greedfall does or doesn't do, mechanically, just give me a sense of nostalgic charm

it reminds me of Dragon Age 2 and the Gothic and Risen games of my youth

I felt like I had significiantly more agency in Gothic though. Gothic II as well. You can kill pretty much anyone, dress up as them, join factions, go where you want. I loved those games and III and Risen were big disappointments for me. This feels way too long for something where I'm not really carving my own path. Like I can lose and gain reputation just by completing main missions without any dialogue choices in them. The only odd choice is Kill or Spare. It's way, way too big and there's way, way too much walking about back and forth to speak to the same people to progress a single mission for the type of game it is. If it had been more LIKE Dragon Age 2, with much of the content set in a single city, it probably would work a little better.

I'm trying to rush through it because I want to know the ending, but even just trying to blitz it is taking forever and it's purely because I'm having to keep traversing through maze-like locations to speak two lines of dialogue to someone without any decision making on my part.

It’s a studio issue - ambition that exceeds its budget and a feeling that a lot of the linearity and padding exist because of this. As for the linearity, it is a little better than it appears.

They are using the Witcher 3 trick where a lot of the decisions trigger in subsequent quests, so it is less a direct choice and more the “animation jerk while the cutscene switches” nods to show things could have gone differently had you made different choices.

They also bury a lot of choices about the outcomes in the Intuition skill tree. Unlike Charisma checks, these don’t show up without the skill.

I’m hoping this one does well for them. They’ve got a solid engine now, and their writing has improved. I’d like to see what they’d do with a bigger budget.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    (Tweet about Discord storegame store closing)

Razer had a PC digital game store that had some AAA games on it and decent deals and it failed miserably.

Also, the store and CEO you love to hate in one tweet:

"Okay, game is out, I can open my trap again."

Undead Scottsman on
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Things I have learned from played Monster Hunter World for 2 hours:

1) The charge blade is stupid fun. Bloodborne ass sword/axe combo that shoots lightning? Hell yeah, that's awesome!

2) I am very, very bad at Monster Hunting. I'm sure I'll get better with time, but the initial controls feel just weird enough compared to what I'm used to that I keep doing shit like accidentally sheathing my weapon in the middle of fights.

3) This game is very fun and I can easily see how it sucks people in.

Charge Blade is very fun. Did you look up how charging your shield is done? The game doesn't really explain it if I recall, but just in case, when you have phials you can charge your shield by cancelling an elemental discharge by blocking. Boosts your shield and also lets you expend all your phials in a super amped elemental discharge.

I really took to World after bouncing off of 3 and 4 myself. If you need any help with a hunt, feel free to hit me up. Think my steam account is still in my signature.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Also, when you have your shield charged, when you charge your phials you can hold the light attack button to perform an attack that does decent damage and charges your sword, a state in which it deals more damage and can't be deflected. You can do this even if you don't actually have any charge to fill the phials with, or if your phials are all already full. You just need to have your shield charged.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Yeah, I watched a few videos to see how it worked; the charged sword mode is a godsend (I suck at figuring out when I'm gonna glow red and start deflecting off stuff). Getting the hang of the spacing and timing in axe mode too, way less whiffed super lightning attacks because I'm too close to a monster/it moves out of the way at the last second.

Forged some bone armor, upgraded my first weapon that I actually had to hunt something to get the mats for (the Jagras Strongarm looks a lot cooler than the starter iron weapon), and killed the Pukei-Pukei for the third or so main story mission. Does Rathalos always interrupt that fight or did I just get unlucky? Cause that was a cool moment that felt like it could have been scripted, but I've already seen a few seemingly random collisions between large monsters that devolve into cluster fucks so maybe not?

This game is fun as shit.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    give the Insect Glaive a try

it's cool, gives you a bug, upgradable into several trees, minor ranged abilities and makes various clouds that do various things

but also it's a dope spear that you can use to pole vault onto monsters

edit: also the Greatsword is a favorite of mine because it's just "hit monster" and has a combo that is basically unlimited swings, so you can really go to town on a monster after you've knocked it down

Depressperado on
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/nAhOP_oJKCo
    29:03
    Just watching the first 10 seconds will do i guess
    Pretty much have to go through the entire vanilla end game before I got it but it's worth it for me

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I was all about that Lance Life

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I’ve always had an interest in the MH series, but I never had the correct console. Then MHW was announced for the PC, and I found a vid showing a typical fight (since it was promo, it wasn’t as flashy) with an ajananth and I was hooked.

Finally found the vid (spoilered for space)

Muzzmuzz on
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    MHW is great, I just ran out of steam when all that was left was events and...ancient dragons? The monsters with the hardest modifiers.

I played the game a ton though, and loved it (HAMMER TO THE FACE). The expansion miiiiight rope me back in when it comes to PC, but who knows

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    MHW is what finally got me into MH after several attempts.

I started on Insect Glaive but eventually it came second to Gunlance.

Gunlance is the way and the light.

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I played MHW for a couple hundred hours, it's great value for money. Longsword all the way, though. At this point I think I've beaten every monster in it at least once, though there's a fair few I'm not that into doing multiple times.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    osmHkCe.jpg
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/310560/DiRT_Rally/

Dirt Rally is 100% free on steam right now, just click and it's yours

although there seems to be an issue where the game says it's in already in your library, so you can't download it/add it

just keep checking back I guess? hopefully it gets fixed

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh that actually reminds me of something.

I'm doing a sort of boardwalk pastiche for my Halloween this year, and I was thinking about tracking down a cheap racing wheel and setting up some sort of arcade racing sort of thing. The catch is, the only environment I ever play racing games in is, well, boardwalk arcades.

So uhh, what are some good-bad racing games? Particularly good-bad racing games that I can run off of a shitty laptop (i7-6500U), or games that might suit the Halloween aesthetic in some way.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    give the Insect Glaive a try

it's cool, gives you a bug, upgradable into several trees, minor ranged abilities and makes various clouds that do various things

but also it's a dope spear that you can use to pole vault onto monsters

edit: also the Greatsword is a favorite of mine because it's just "hit monster" and has a combo that is basically unlimited swings, so you can really go to town on a monster after you've knocked it down

My first thought was of the glaive from Warframe (and Krull). Just imagined throwing a spinning bladed insect around and honestly that sounds dope.

JtgVX0H.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    That’s a fake account

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

I'm doing a sort of boardwalk pastiche for my Halloween this year, and I was thinking about tracking down a cheap racing wheel and setting up some sort of arcade racing sort of thing. The catch is, the only environment I ever play racing games in is, well, boardwalk arcades.

So uhh, what are some good-bad racing games? Particularly good-bad racing games that I can run off of a shitty laptop (i7-6500U), or games that might suit the Halloween aesthetic in some way.

Road Redemption is roguelike Road Rash with a heaping helping of jank and crazy shit like rooftop motorcycle platforming and a grappling hook.
    It's also 50% off until Tuesday: https://store.steampowered.com/app/300380/Road_Redemption/

wowwww

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Mother fucker I didnt see topy

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPrC58JUzTQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peLAsvLwWYU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5f-yEtiuk8

This isn't a full game yet, but it's a good horror/driving game

https://www.patreon.com/ondrejsvadlena

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    is me, Ioby Fox. game here, give money

liEt3nH.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Road Redemption is roguelike Road Rash with a heaping helping of jank and crazy shit like rooftop motorcycle platforming and a grappling hook.
    It's also 50% off until Tuesday: https://store.steampowered.com/app/300380/Road_Redemption/

I actually already have that, and it's currently my backup plan.

My one issue there is that I can't get one of those ridiculous arcade motorcycles for it, and it feels like it would be weird to use a racing wheel with a motorcycle game.

Brolo wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPrC58JUzTQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peLAsvLwWYU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5f-yEtiuk8

Oh, hmm, I think I love this idea?

I'd been on the like, weird grindhouse why-is-this-at-a-family-friendly-arcade aesthetic

But if I were to dress this up as a fun racing game and then it's just sinister and surreal instead? That works very well with what I'm already playing with

Straightzi on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    You know what? I really should have seen this Crosscode Gaia Garden tablet coming.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    edited September 2019
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I actually already have that, and it's currently my backup plan.

My one issue there is that I can't get one of those ridiculous arcade motorcycles for it, and it feels like it would be weird to use a racing wheel with a motorcycle game.

Brolo wrote: »

Oh, hmm, I think I love this idea?

I'd been on the like, weird grindhouse why-is-this-at-a-family-friendly-arcade aesthetic

But if I were to dress this up as a fun racing game and then it's just sinister and surreal instead? That works very well with what I'm already playing with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Gmibzwg4g

I think this was the first video I saw of this game

and the bits where you're being chased (and have a trunk full of... babies?...) really does set the tone for some good horror

looking backwards and having headlights appear behind you through the forest fog creates just the right kind of creepy horror atmosphere

also works well in a rear view mirror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WweTJi9Ceuc

Brolo on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

that's weird, I also strongly associate boardwalk arcades with racing games, specifically the santa cruz beach boardwalk

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    huh

this looks kinda cute:
    Orpheus’s Dream is a 3D isometric-inspired puzzle game with storytelling elements.

Orpheus wakes up in his family house with his beloved cat beside him. He realizes he can play melodies he hears and interact with the environment in this dream. He has no recollection of recent events, so with his guitar and partially destroyed diary in hand, Orpheus explores this surreal space and slowly recovers his past memories of him and his cat, Lyra.

it's a free game, so could be worth checking out if you've got some time

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1097000/Orpheuss_Dream/

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Man I love Beat Saber. It is just so fun. Going to have to work on loading up some custom tracks today.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I realise Ten Piedad translates to Be Merciful but it also looks like ten piedad and I am stupid so I found it difficult to respect the Blasphemous boss Ten Piedad

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    tenpai dad

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Ten Pie Dad should watch out for Lex Luthor.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    At least they're not forty cake dad, that situation could get real bad real fast...

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Ten Pie Dad doesn't have to worry, that's too small a take for Lex, he doesn't even get out of bed for less than twenty pies

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Yeah, I watched a few videos to see how it worked; the charged sword mode is a godsend (I suck at figuring out when I'm gonna glow red and start deflecting off stuff). Getting the hang of the spacing and timing in axe mode too, way less whiffed super lightning attacks because I'm too close to a monster/it moves out of the way at the last second.

Forged some bone armor, upgraded my first weapon that I actually had to hunt something to get the mats for (the Jagras Strongarm looks a lot cooler than the starter iron weapon), and killed the Pukei-Pukei for the third or so main story mission. Does Rathalos always interrupt that fight or did I just get unlucky? Cause that was a cool moment that felt like it could have been scripted, but I've already seen a few seemingly random collisions between large monsters that devolve into cluster fucks so maybe not?

This game is fun as shit.

Another fun weapon is the bow. Takes a bit of getting used to how the combos work, but it's pretty for pretty much all monsters, particularly if like you are really bad avoiding damage whenever you use melee weapons and not getting stuck in combos with slow stuff. My favorite part, is it's special attack, dragon piercer, goes all the way through stuff, and let me tell you, when you line that up right down the spine of a larger monster and get like 30 hits all the way through, it feels real good.

steam_sig.png
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I started with Sword and Shield, then switched to Hunting Horn, then became an unmovable object with Lance, and then became an unstoppable object with Hammer. I'm trying LBG, but I suck at ranged.

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I quite enjoy the bow, the combo gameplay is fun, while Bowguns are Not For Me.

Longsword is the most anime of weapons, though, and chaining Helmsplitters is incredibly satisfying.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Light bowguns are the first weapon I went to, myself. I love taking the cross bowgun and putting something to sleep and barrel bombing it like, four or five times in a row.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Have any of you tried just talking to the monsters?

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.