As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[US Foreign Policy] A Generation of War

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    I haven't seen the US's response yet to "Drone strikes knock out half of Saudi oil capacity, 5 million barrels a day"
    The next couple of days are about to be tumultuous.

The price of the barrel will climb quickly and also Houthi rebels have claimed responsibility plus intelligence warned that the Houthi rebels were given drone capabilities in 2018 by Iran, I'm glad Bolton is gone.

Hopefully we don't see too many strings getting pulled by friends of Trump.

Lindsey Graham went with his reaction to everything: bomb Iran.

Pompeo is parroting this, at least in placing blame on Iran.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    I haven't seen the US's response yet to "Drone strikes knock out half of Saudi oil capacity, 5 million barrels a day"
    The next couple of days are about to be tumultuous.

The price of the barrel will climb quickly and also Houthi rebels have claimed responsibility plus intelligence warned that the Houthi rebels were given drone capabilities in 2018 by Iran, I'm glad Bolton is gone.

Hopefully we don't see too many strings getting pulled by friends of Trump.

Lindsey Graham went with his reaction to everything: bomb Iran.

Pompeo is parroting this, at least in placing blame on Iran.

The Yemeni rebels who claimed Responsibility do have some ties to Iran. But this is SA's fault. If they don't want to be at war with Yemen they don't have to be at war with Yemen.

wbBv3fj.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So I'm guessing this means we're going to help them butcher Palestine.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    \
    Incenjucar wrote: »

That's about the only thing that makes any sense other then him and Netanyahu moving in together.

Also: It's always sigh enducing to hear trump making proposals that vindicate fundamentalist muslim's perspective on america.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Saudi Arabia: bombs children, World observes

Houthis: bomb refinery, World is outraged because petrol prices

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm outraged at both

Quit bombing shit humanity!

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    So far I've not found any mention of Saudi oil worker casualties in the story, which is kind of the moderating control for "how much am I pleased about this" from a climate change and "stop fucking bombing civilians in Yemen" perspective.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    So far I've not found any mention of Saudi oil worker casualties in the story, which is kind of the moderating control for "how much am I pleased about this" from a climate change and "stop fucking bombing civilians in Yemen" perspective.

It’s quite frankly a massive feat if nobody died as a result of this.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Yeah if there were no human casualties than I'm going to firmly place this in the ambiguously okay column.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    The sheer area of a modern refinery campus and the ratio of equipment to personelle, its certainly not far fetched that either no or only minor injuries resulted.

If you know what your hitting, taking down 3 or 4 primary apparatus could cripple the complex without a lot of collateral damage.

Surgical guerrilla actions may be the next in vogue tactic.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

This is more likely a play to get Netanyahu a majority in the Knesset

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

So he can murder Palestine

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

He probably does not understand how that ties into Palestine at all. I mean, more colonies will happen, but that is simply a side benefit to Trump.

Fencingsax on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

He probably does not understand how that ties into Palestine at all. I mean, more colonies will happen, but that is simply a side benefit to Trump.

Thinking about it, my main bet is that it's a play to peal off more elderly jewish voters in Florida.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

A Trump property in every settlement and a Kushner roach motel in every ghetto

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Netenyahu is definitely pushing a policy of apartheid and genocide in Palestine

If he could press a button which would make all of the Palestinians die and not get caught you'd better fucking believe he would. He wants them gone, he doesn't believe they should be there at all.

He is in fact what we would call a White Supremacist. The US will enable this behaviour insofar as they will let it happen because the Trump admin also would be fine with that button being pressed.

The sheer area of a modern refinery campus and the ratio of equipment to personelle, its certainly not far fetched that either no or only minor injuries resulted.

If you know what your hitting, taking down 3 or 4 primary apparatus could cripple the complex without a lot of collateral damage.

Halving the production capacity of Aramco in a single night is definitely the most effective strike that the Houthis have made. If they displayed the capability to keep those refineries offline, then the KSA admin might have to come to a peace settlement, because their whole geopolitical status comes from their ability to ensure stable oil prices. The US invests heavily in the KSA at least for this reason.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Halving the production capacity of Aramco in a single night is definitely the most effective strike that the Houthis have made. If they displayed the capability to keep those refineries offline, then the KSA admin might have to come to a peace settlement, because their whole geopolitical status comes from their ability to ensure stable oil prices. The US invests heavily in the KSA at least for this reason.

Houthis? But it was Iran! At least according to Pompeo. No, he doesn't provide any prove
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/14/pompeo-iran-saudi-arabia-oil-yemen-houthi

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

If the Houthis are able to keep Aramco permanently crippled then I expect The West to step in and try to bomb the Houthis to dust and Yemen will officially become a part of the Kingdom of Saud. KSA can not back down because it would be proof that the Crown is weak, and a King can not survive being proven weak.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

A lot of large refineries have gotten very very good at keeping their personnel intact when something goes wrong. I'd assume that the people designing Saudi Arabia's refineries are probably second to none in that kind of department.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

A lot of large refineries have gotten very very good at keeping their personnel intact when something goes wrong. I'd assume that the people designing Saudi Arabia's refineries are probably second to none in that kind of department.

Yeah, but Saudi refineries? They practically run a slave state. If they have high standards of safety, it’d be to protect the equipment over the personnel. Granted protecting the equipment can result in less injury and deaths, but it’s not the same thing.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

Yeah, but Saudi refineries? They practically run a slave state. If they have high standards of safety, it’d be to protect the equipment over the personnel. Granted protecting the equipment can result in less injury and deaths, but it’s not the same thing.

Oil workers, especially US and European, are treated and paid very well.

Veevee wrote: »

If the Houthis are able to keep Aramco permanently crippled then I expect The West to step in and try to bomb the Houthis to dust and Yemen will officially become a part of the Kingdom of Saud. KSA can not back down because it would be proof that the Crown is weak, and a King can not survive being proven weak.

Potentially but is that even possible? We've seen this over and over again and the deeply entrenched local forces with serious support amongst the population always just endure, endure, endure and eventually exhaust the offensive power of the attacking nation. You cannot bomb an insurgency into defeat.

Like yes I absolutely agree that the KSA response could be "we cannot allow them to exist as a threat to us of this magnitude..." yeah and then what? An escalated intervention which they are still going to eventually lose?

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Like yes I absolutely agree that the KSA response could be "we cannot allow them to exist as a threat to us of this magnitude..." yeah and then what? An escalated intervention which they are still going to eventually lose?

Genocide?

• DacDac Registered User regular

Oil is their nation's lifeblood and the source of their ridiculous wealth. If anything, you would make sure those workers are absolutely happy and fulfilled, so as to reduce risks to the refinery and temptation for espionage/sabotage.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

Oil is their nation's lifeblood and the source of their ridiculous wealth. If anything, you would make sure those workers are absolutely happy and fulfilled, so as to reduce risks to the refinery and temptation for espionage/sabotage.

They can always get more.

Phoenix-D wrote: »

Genocide?

I doubt they even could. They could definitely try and they'd kill a lot of people but the Houthi rebel groups aren't going anywhere and a lot of people in Yemen hate the Saudis, there's no shortage of recruits

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »

Oil workers, especially US and European, are treated and paid very well.

Hardly a bar. Also, wages =/= safety

https://apps.publicintegrity.org/blowout/us-oil-worker-safety/
    From 2008 through 2017, 1,566 workers died from injuries in the oil-and-gas drilling industry and related fields, according to data from the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics. That’s almost exactly the number of U.S. troops who were killed in Afghanistan during the same period.

Maybe SA’s work safety standards are higher, but US oil and gas fatalities are nearly five times higher than other industries.

My point is that the people aren’t the important part, the oil is first and foremost. Then the equipment that extracts and refines it. Then the people that run the equipment. As long as the people can be replaced without interrupting the flow, there won’t be any safety standards beyond that, doubly so for a country like SA that probably has even less safety standards than the US.

At best, the high skill jobs are protected while disposable laborers barely survive exhaustion and dehydration on a daily.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.

You're going to have a hard time getting skilled workers to move to the kingdom if you don't offer the incentives the Saudis already offer (good pay, benefits, paid school for employee children etc.). Skilled workers in the petroleum field have options.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

You're going to have a hard time getting skilled workers to move to the kingdom if you don't offer the incentives the Saudis already offer (good pay, benefits, paid school for employee children etc.). Skilled workers in the petroleum field have options.

In other countries I'm sure that's the case, though I'm skeptical that the house of Saud feels so constrained.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

In other countries I'm sure that's the case, though I'm skeptical that the house of Saud feels so constrained.

Normally I think they would have constraints, but with MBS more or less acting as de facto monarch atm, I'm not so sure.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Especially since the other factions in Yemen are increasingly at war with each other and the Saudi coalition has sort of fallen apart, with the UAE backing southern separatists instead of focusing on the war against the Houthis. At this point a repartition of the country along north-south lines seems more likely than ousting the Houthis from Sanaa.

Allowing an Iranian ally control along their southern border would be a bitter pill for the Saudis to swallow, but their war effort has failed, so they don't seem to have any other choice.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    It's probably why they are trying to get nuke tech via Kushner.

steam_sig.png
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Their motivation is more likely Iran directly. Founded or unfounded, there is a lot of concern in Saudi about Iran. One of the major concerns is the Shia minority on the gulf coast, which is why the Saudis have been so concerned about Iranian regional actions (Iran has found success in building local militia groups in Lebanon, Syria, and Iraq) because they see the possibility of Iran working with them.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

And these are highly skilled and educated people. Like the lowest skilled jobs in a typical refinery are equivalent to the highest skilled jobs in a conventional manufacturing plant

fuck gendered marketing
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Their motivation is more likely Iran directly. Founded or unfounded, there is a lot of concern in Saudi about Iran. One of the major concerns is the Shia minority on the gulf coast, which is why the Saudis have been so concerned about Iranian regional actions (Iran has found success in building local militia groups in Lebanon, Syria, and Iraq) because they see the possibility of Iran working with them.

Saudi Arabia has good reason to be concerned about the Shias in its borders, because they repeatedly treat them like absolute shit, and surprise surprise, they tend to get upset about it!

I can't say I'm remotely broken up about these refineries tbh. It's about time someone put that horrible government in it's place.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Media Matters guy

Coons's state is like +6 Dem, he just likes war.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    So US/Iran is now the will-they-won't-they sitcom couple of wars. Just when a major character leaves the show and you think it's over for the season some contrived farce throws them back together. This is not at all a stressful reality to live in.

This discussion has been closed.