As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Afterparty & Quest for Conquest out today!

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Have any of you tried just talking to the monsters?

Well yes, but they responded to my overtures by trying to eat me.

So I hit them with a sharp metal stick and ate them instead.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So as a reminder, because I myself forgot until this weekend, AC: Odyssey has a shitload of free DLC that just wrapped up. 12 "Forgotten Tales" and 2 monster hunts.

Plus if you're lucky, the first chapter of the second paid DLC was given out for free too.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    I guess we are pretty much the bad guys in monhun as usual

actually monsters are biogenetic experiments from an extinct civilization that drain the world of energy so we have to kill them to save it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    wpfw3udrh0ib.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Hey, in Monster Hunter: World you're part of a RESEARCH COMMISSION, sent to do RESEARCH on the monsters.

It's completely scientifically sound and valid and if you don't like it well I bet you don't like how Japan researches whales!

Which I guess would be completely consistent and valid criticism!

but it's RESEARCH.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Wait, hold on...

Are you saying that humans are bad?!?

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

Wait, hold on...

Are you saying that humans are bad?!?
    jC6aano.jpg

The Baddest.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    im posting from vr. its like having a slightly low res 120" screen. its kinda cool. needs swype for the keyboard though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    im posting from vr. its like having a slightly low res 120" screen. its kinda cool. needs swype for the keyboard though.

or speech to text

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    played a little battletech today

got killed on the very first mission, had no saves from after the first fight but before the second fight

stopped playing battletech

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Have any of you tried just talking to the monsters?

The monster said "ROARAWWRRRR" and then it bit me

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Beware is very weird and I don't fully understand what's happening or how it works.

Also it was running at like 12 FPS on my computer which might be part of the problem.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    "I've combined the dna of the world's most vicious dragons, to create the most vile creature of them all!"
    "Turns out it's Cephadrome"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Bring back Great Wroggi

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Why did we get dromes back instead of Jaggis

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Why did we get dromes back instead of Jaggis

Because nostalgia sells games.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Bring back Great Wroggi

specifically bring back the cowboy outfit, I don't care about the actual monster if it has a lame generic armor set. Looking at you, 4 Ultimate!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    You're often hunting monsters that are wrecking the local ecosystem in some way, or endangering settlements or something similar, if you read the little blurb from the person offering the quest.

There is, at least, lip service paid to the idea that in Monster Hunter societies they are generally living pretty closely with nature, even with the most "advanced" societies we've seen in any of the games, and use the materials from hunted monsters in virtually everything

Humans are carelessly hunting monsters to extinction is a take you could have on the series, but I think it's one you have to sort of contort the material as presented and take a purposely contrarian stance to come to.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    yeah, all this monster killin' seems bad, but without Hunters, mankind would go extinct pretty quickly, I think.

like, every settlement is directly next to and dependent on an environment that at best just has giant Komodo Dragons or T-Rexes in it

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    There’s a giant inside out dog that vomits poison

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    what if humans were the real monster???

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Then I'd make their bones into a cool sword.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I'm still in the "ohhhh, that's shiny, I wonder how I can kill it?" phase of MHW, but I am kinda surprised at how much I'm enjoying the world building and story in this game. Like, there's an actual narrative, and also it's kinda interesting? I didn't know Monster Hunter games had a narrative, much less ones that I wouldn't feel like skipping through.

Other than that, I discovered that I enjoy the big, slow, dumb attacks a lot more than the sword/shield part of the Charge Blade, so I just swapped over to using the great sword.

There's a lot of shuffling around and checking things with shoulder tackles, but I just two shot a Kulu-Ya-Ku with a perfectly placed double charge slash, knock down, double charge slash combo and I felt like a god.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I like the hammer because it lets me smash dumb idiot monsters and it doesn’t have any fancy mechanics I have to think about

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Then I'd make their bones into a cool sword.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg3qsVzHeUt5_cPpcRtoaJQ

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    I'm still in the "ohhhh, that's shiny, I wonder how I can kill it?" phase of MHW, but I am kinda surprised at how much I'm enjoying the world building and story in this game. Like, there's an actual narrative, and also it's kinda interesting? I didn't know Monster Hunter games had a narrative, much less ones that I wouldn't feel like skipping through.

Other than that, I discovered that I enjoy the big, slow, dumb attacks a lot more than the sword/shield part of the Charge Blade, so I just swapped over to using the great sword.

There's a lot of shuffling around and checking things with shoulder tackles, but I just two shot a Kulu-Ya-Ku with a perfectly placed double charge slash, knock down, double charge slash combo and I felt like a god.

Most of the stories are why is x change happening in the ecosystem

If you really want to go deep though you can find the shit on how monster hunters are born from genetic super soliders from the great dragon human war and that every monster you fight was man made bio weapons 🙃

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I’m a big fan of the switch axe for its wild combos and explosions, and the insect glaive for its ability to never ever touch the ground if I don’t wanna

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I really got into Bow in a way I never expected in MHW, but invariably I will always find my way back to the Greatsword

• Options
    I kinda wanted to get BL3 but decided not to because of the high level of fuckery

also I'm supposed to be working on portfolio stuff so gaming time needs to be limited

but also because they want 100 USD for the game and season pass thing and that feels kinda steep

so instead I fired up BL2 and man

I forgot how much it sucks that you need to level up like 6 times to get your basic skill

and that the early areas are pretty bad

and how much unavoidable claptrap there is in like the first hour or so

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah it’d be nice if games of that ilk had an adventure mode, especially after you finish the story the first time. I didn’t care about Handsome Jack the first time!

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Not stealing more of what worked about D3 is a huge disappointment. Endlessly running the story is zzZzzz

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Not stealing more of what worked about D3 is a huge disappointment. Endlessly running the story is zzZzzz

Path of exile needs to do this so badly

Edit well I guess more just skipping the story completely since the end game is fine but leveling is terrible every single time

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Edit well I guess more just skipping the story completely since the end game is fine but leveling is terrible every single time

I mean, if you could have a league where you start out at max level, that'd solve your issue with it.

I love levelin' in that game though. I've never done more math in my entire life than in that game alone.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Just ditch the game after you finish the main story.

If a game provides a good experience and then it's over, I'm happy. Grinding "endgame content" over and over just to make some numbers go up is a suckaz game.

broken image link
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Dee Kae wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I mean, if you could have a league where you start out at max level, that'd solve your issue with it.

I love levelin' in that game though. I've never done more math in my entire life than in that game alone.

I just want to do maps and never have to deal with trudging through the story for the 6th time

Something about it just bores me out of my gourd

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Path of Exile feels like a direct response to Diablo 3 not being Diablo 2

I don't know if the timeline actually bears out on that, maybe Path of Exile is just a response to the fact that Blizzard hadn't made another Diablo 2 yet if it predates Diablo 3, I dunno

Either way, it not taking things even when they work from Diablo 3 feels very on brand

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Path of Exile feels like a direct response to Diablo 3 not being Diablo 2

I don't know if the timeline actually bears out on that, maybe Path of Exile is just a response to the fact that Blizzard hadn't made another Diablo 2 yet if it predates Diablo 3, I dunno

Either way, it not taking things even when they work from Diablo 3 feels very on brand

Path of exile does a lot of things I enjoy but its founding principle is absolutely "how dare diablo 3 not be diablo 2 again"

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Just ditch the game after you finish the main story.

If a game provides a good experience and then it's over, I'm happy. Grinding "endgame content" over and over just to make some numbers go up is a suckaz game.

I love Path of Exile's story, and I finally finished act 5-10 the other day, but end game and running maps bored the fuck out of me so I stopped. I know there's some story there but I couldn't be arsed to find out because it got real tough and I don't want to minmax to get there. I replay it every so often though for the new league mechanics though

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Re: Monster Hunter

In the older games, when there were established towns and the like, actually hunting these things made sense, and indeed was also strictly regulated by the Guild. Something like a Rathalos is just going to straight up kill dead a whole bunch of people and burn down the town in the process. And in the larger sense, humanity is definitely just trying to stay alive against these things. So yeah. Monster Hunters are definitely on the "right" side of this entire equation.

But with World specifically, humanity straight up sailed across the seas to a place where humanity really hadn't been before and decided that they were going to Do Research. That is their stated, absolute goal. "Some big ass monsters leave to go Somewhere, we need to find out Where That Is. Oh. Here it is! We already know where they go! Now let's do a whole bunch more Research so we know exactly why!"

And this being Monster Hunter, that Research involves a hell of a lot of just slaughtering various creatures (some of which you are told to kill because some cat wants some new ingredients to cook with) that unless humanity had specifically traveled across the Not-Atlantic to be there, would be zero threat to humanity. There also doesn't seem to be much regulation either on the Hunters themselves from the Guild. That may be due to the fact that in-universe everyone who is going on these hunts ANYWAY is a tenured Hunter and so the Guild is all "mmmyeah we trust you not to like, just poach or whatever".

Spoilers for endgame World:
    Like, you could make the claim that the ecological disaster that'd be caused by letting Zorah Magdaros do its thing and explode could cause some major havoc back in the old world but feels like in aggregate humanity kinda knowingly put themselves into danger in the new world.

This discussion has been closed.