As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SCOTUS] thread we dreaded updates for because RIP RBG

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Yeah, fuck whoever wrote that sentence. That right there is rape culture.

Anyways, I have to wonder if we'll see the piece of shit that is Kavanaugh get run out of SCOTUS before the end of the next decade. Don't care if the fucker resigns or we get enough honest people in the Senate that decide "that SCOTUS has no place for a rapist piece of shit and Kavanaugh entitled, wealthy white male ass can piss up a rope."

Would require replacing a lot of white dude Ivy League alums who probably have similar stories in their past.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I couldn't finish the article, because it was so thoroughly infuriating. Like, it could not be more clear that they did everything possible to avoid actual repercussions for his past.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    EDIT: Also, and I cannot stress this enough, but WHAT THE FUCK

link goes to deleted tweet.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, and I cannot stress this enough, but WHAT THE FUCK

link goes to deleted tweet.

Looks like they have shame.

Tweet had the lead in which was basically "you may think that shaking your penis in someone's face is just boyhood fun, but..."

• Options
    EEdlGkIX4AANJ6O.jpg

For posterity

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The so-called "investigation" by the FBI into the Kavanaugh allegations did not interview the dozens of people who her legal counsel said had contemporary recollections of the events that Ramierez testified occurred - and some of those people even tried contacting the FBI independently of her legal team.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    EEdlGkIX4AANJ6O.jpg

For posterity

I lived in a very different dorm during my undergrad.

moniker on
  • Options
    And hey, what better way to use one of the most prestigious honors able to be bestowed upon lawyers than to pat folks on the back for backing team Sexual Abusers

(Elie Honing is a former Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York and a current legal analyst for CNN.)

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Anyways, I have to wonder if we'll see the piece of shit that is Kavanaugh get run out of SCOTUS before the end of the next decade. Don't care if the fucker resigns or we get enough honest people in the Senate that decide "that SCOTUS has no place for a rapist piece of shit and Kavanaugh entitled, wealthy white male ass can piss up a rope."

Would require replacing a lot of white dude Ivy League alums who probably have similar stories in their past.

This isn’t true and normalizes Kavanaughs rapist history. While it is true that many men have done things they should be embarrassed about, Kavanuagh is accused of attempted rape, and while many women are raped the vast majority if men have never raped someone. Instead, a small subset of men hide in plain sight and our typically guilty of dozens of rapes. I think we can safely ask to have no rapists in our government and still keep plenty of men around.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    And hey, what better way to use one of the most prestigious honors able to be bestowed upon lawyers than to pat folks on the back for backing team Sexual Abusers

(Elie Honing is a former Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York and a current legal analyst for CNN.)

Wow.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Every time I think we've hit bottom, they find a new low to reach.

• Options
    tbloxham wrote: »

This isn’t true and normalizes Kavanaughs rapist history. While it is true that many men have done things they should be embarrassed about, Kavanuagh is accused of attempted rape, and while many women are raped the vast majority if men have never raped someone. Instead, a small subset of men hide in plain sight and our typically guilty of dozens of rapes. I think we can safely ask to have no rapists in our government and still keep plenty of men around.

I'm aware of what he's accused of and I stand by what I said. Sexual assault on college campuses is disturbingly common. Among the scions of elite families who never face consequences for anything and end up at an Ivy? I'm willing to bet it's endemic.

The Blasey Ford accusations maybe not (though even still, I wouldn't be surprised). But incidents like what Ramirez describes or the other new allegation in the NYT story? I think that's a significant minority of the Senate.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

I'm aware of what he's accused of and I stand by what I said. Sexual assault on college campuses is disturbingly common. Among the scions of elite families who never face consequences for anything and end up at an Ivy? I'm willing to bet it's endemic.

The Blasey Ford accusations maybe not (though even still, I wouldn't be surprised). But incidents like what Ramirez describes or the other new allegation in the NYT story? I think that's a significant minority of the Senate.

And they should all face the consequences of their actions. Boot em all out and replace with actual good humans. Of which, some do exist.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

And they should all face the consequences of their actions. Boot em all out and replace with actual good humans. Of which, some do exist.

"They're sending people that have a lot of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're lobbying drugs. They're doing election crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

You know what's going to happen though. A few Democrats will be found to have done similar shit, and they'll be drummed out of Congress. More Republicans will be found to have done the same or worse, and Republicans will circle the wagons, Trump will say something outlandish on a different topic, and life will move on.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

"They're sending people that have a lot of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're lobbying drugs. They're doing election crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

You know what's going to happen though. A few Democrats will be found to have done similar shit, and they'll be drummed out of Congress. More Republicans will be found to have done the same or worse, and Republicans will circle the wagons, Trump will say something outlandish on a different topic, and life will move on.

Is Roy Moore still running again?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Last I heard yes.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Drez wrote: »

Wow.

Smacks of buying those people off to stay silent.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Last I heard yes.

He's not winning the nomination. An Alabama football coach is running.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

Wow.

Smacks of buying those people off to stay silent.

I read it more as a victory lap. The Bros laughing and high-fiving about how they showed those wimmen and libruls. They got a rapist appointed to the highest court in the land, and now, per that deleted tweet/NYT article, they're waving their dicks in all our faces.

And every indication is that yes, they are going to get away with it. Again.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Last I heard yes.

He's not winning the nomination. An Alabama football coach is running.

Auburn.

• Options
    Last I checked there were four Democratic presidential nominees (Castro, Warren, Harris, & O'Rourke) calling for the impeachment of Kavanaugh for lying under oath.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I want Kavanaugh impeached and evicted more than I want Trump impeached and evicted.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Honestly? The silver lining out of this administration is that its making a lot of things that have always been a stupid joke very plainly so, and I'm as grateful for it as you can be in the present circumstances.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    moniker wrote: »
    EEdlGkIX4AANJ6O.jpg

For posterity

I lived in a very different dorm during my undergrad.

They also deleted their second attempt at this headline. The third one, still awful, is still currently running.

The new York times is the new York times.

Edit: I guess the headline didn't actually change? Anyways, here is their fake apology thread, I guess.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Reversing the conservative coup of SCOTUS is a huge selling point for any candidate who can make it happen. Impeaching Kavanaugh is something I didn't dare to hope for, and honestly still can't bring myself to feel any actual hope yet, but I'm all for candidates seizing on it.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Hard to imagine ever getting 67 senators to vote Kavanaugh out, unfortunately.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Hard to imagine ever getting 67 senators to vote Kavanaugh out, unfortunately.

If anything, it seems like a lot of Dems got pretty nervous about the opposition to him as it was.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Hey now, dont forget that Gorsuch is also sitting in a stolen seat. Both he and Kavanuagh should be in jail, not on the bench. They have made the court nothing more than a joke. Pack the court.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Hey now, dont forget that Gorsuch is also sitting in a stolen seat. Both he and Kavanuagh should be in jail, not on the bench. They have made the court nothing more than a joke. Pack the court.

The Supreme Court's power lies entirely in its legitimacy. Packing the court will be meaningless if the court loses that, at which point we'll only have two branches of government.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

The Supreme Court's power lies entirely in its legitimacy. Packing the court will be meaningless if the court loses that, at which point we'll only have two branches of government.

There is an argument to be made that the current SCOTUS has lost its legitimacy with the seat held open for a year to hopefully get a Republican President, and then all the perjury and other bullshit that happened with another seat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    It's especially absurd because McConnell would never have allowed a theoretical Dem president in 2017 to fill the seat either if Trump had lost. The court's legitimacy would not be lost, but restored by correctively packing it. Both Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are illegitimate for separate reasons. If we can't do away with them, we have to neutralize their impact.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    SCOTUS still has legitimacy with the vast majority of the population. There's an argument to be made that a couple of the 5-4 decisions to come out have been the direct result of Roberts trying to preserve that legitimacy.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options

The court is controlled by the votes of an attempted rapist, and a thief. It has no legitimacy.

• Options

The court is controlled by the votes of an attempted rapist, and a thief. It has no legitimacy.

We shall see. Once the entire nation agrees, then it will just become a plaything of the legislative and executive branches. In that case, pack the court, don't pack the court, doesn't matter.

My opinion is that though packing the court and impeachment are both radical and unprecedented, packing the court would make the Supreme Court into a joke while impeachment would not. However, neither will occur without the consensus of the nation.

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options

We shall see. Once the entire nation agrees, then it will just become a plaything of the legislative and executive branches. In that case, pack the court, don't pack the court, doesn't matter.

My opinion is that though packing the court and impeachment are both radical and unprecedented, packing the court would make the Supreme Court into a joke while impeachment would not. However, neither will occur without the consensus of the nation.

No, neither will occur without the majority in this country standing up and demanding that peaceful change be enacted, and that we are no longer going to exist at the whim of a rural minority. The Supreme Court has no constitutional reason to be 9 people, there is no reason why adding say, 7 more esteemed judges would hurt it in any way. Tolerating the court is tolerating the republican seizing power for a generation. It’s reform or the end of the republic.

• Options

No, neither will occur without the majority in this country standing up and demanding that peaceful change be enacted, and that we are no longer going to exist at the whim of a rural minority. The Supreme Court has no constitutional reason to be 9 people, there is no reason why adding say, 7 more esteemed judges would hurt it in any way. Tolerating the court is tolerating the republican seizing power for a generation. It’s reform or the end of the republic.

At the point where adding 7 more judges won't hurt it, there isn't much power left to seize. While you consider this a solution, I consider it a landmark, something that's going to happen once things have gotten far enough along.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I'm not one hundred percent convinced we'll hit a point where we have the number to impeach Kavanaugh. I do think we're likely to hit a point where the public contempt will get bad enough that the fucker will bow out and the GOP might start to lean on him when that public anger hits a certain point. The GOP wants to win elections, Kavanaugh is also an ideologue piece of shit. Won't take them long to realize that having a known rapist on the court is going to sour their standing with women, even conservative women. The question will be how long it takes for that public contempt to build and how long the fucker attempts to weather it. I wouldn't be surprised if Kavanaugh is gone before 2030 because I just don't see thing getting friendlier for him and at about that point he is going to be dealing with a larger majority of the public not being interested in tolerating a rapist on the court.

Ideally, the GOP would see enough of a change. That the fucker gets impeached because that would send a very clear message. Not to mentioned if Kavanaugh gets his ass handed to him, plenty of other victims might come forward and we get a real reckoning against every rapist shit lord that managed to slitter into the court system because of McConnell and Trump. I seriously, doubt Kavanaugh is the only sexual predator that Trump has put forward for a life-time position on the court.

• Options
    Without going too far into doomsaying, I strongly doubt any of the above will happen.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    SCOTUS still has legitimacy with the vast majority of the population. There's an argument to be made that a couple of the 5-4 decisions to come out have been the direct result of Roberts trying to preserve that legitimacy.

I think the idea that Roberts has been letting some small fish go to preserve legitimacy for bigger fights is the correct one.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.