As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    The fucking buyers, who agreed to a 22 day escrow are part of the agreement, are now like "just kidding, we need the full 45 day escrow"

It's not fraud, but it's unethical on the part of the buyers agent, and I wish we could somehow withhold their commission or something.

I want to push back but there is an offer on a different house contingent on selling this one so they kind of have us over a barrel.

they may not have had any choice in the matter

their bank might have been the one that told them to go pound sand

Nearly every bank is on a 45-day lock for mortgages. I don’t want to get into in this thread but the whole industry is run by sales people and not process people and it’s a joke.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    The fucking buyers, who agreed to a 22 day escrow are part of the agreement, are now like "just kidding, we need the full 45 day escrow"

It's not fraud, but it's unethical on the part of the buyers agent, and I wish we could somehow withhold their commission or something.

I want to push back but there is an offer on a different house contingent on selling this one so they kind of have us over a barrel.

they may not have had any choice in the matter

their bank might have been the one that told them to go pound sand

Nearly every bank is on a 45-day lock for mortgages. I don’t want to get into in this thread but the whole industry is run by sales people and not process people and it’s a joke.

This seems like the thread to get into it in.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    So I was leaving for work this morning and just as I was about to jump into the car, I noticed there was some weird pile of clothing on the roof of my shed. Then I noticed the clothing was moving around, and had shoes. I hollered at the dude a couple of times to see if I could wake him up, but he didn't respond, so I had to call the non emergency police line, and the dispatcher sent paramedics and the fire dept. The fire dept got him off the roof in a few minutes, but what a crazy experience. I felt bad having to call up the fire dept. but I've learned working downtown, you often don't want to mess around with the bums that may be having a serious drug trip or are drunk.

• Options
    The mortgage industry is largely run by folks that have been promoted for being strong sales people and are rarely properly trained to manage people or processes- they’re just good at managing their sales numbers.

It’s an industry in huge need of disruption, but all the regulation the banks bitch about actually keeps out new entrants into the industry and let’s the traditional banks be totally ass at mortgage origination with little recourse for borrowers to go somewhere else. For example, at a big bank, about 14 different employees will touch a mortgage application on average, and none of them can read the notes of what the other 13 did. This is an actual goddamn benchmark that we all use! (Small banks, which I recommend if available, average about 4 people, btw...)

Mortgage Loan Officer is an extremely well-paid job- $70k average with the top 10% able to pull in an average over $150k annually. There is no degree or trade certification requirement- new MLOs typically get in the industry because they know someone already in it.

This seems great for MLOs, but management will look at shitty turn times and bad customer experience and say to the MLO “you fucking fix it don’t we pay you enough?” despite these things typically being the result of bad systems and processes and being 98% out of the MLO’s control.

This leads to 60+ hour workweeks for the MLOs and high stress/burnout, but they’re all trapped because there is basically no other job for these folks to be able to earn as much, especially as many don’t have degrees or requisite experience to start anywhere but entry-level in a new industry.

Honestly mortgage applications and processing could be mostly automated. All the application/paperwork should be managed with a digital portal (well, for borrowers that can/prefer this) with the only human parts needed for appraisals and inspections.

My qualifications and experience for this post:
    Senior leader at a large bank
    Married to a top 10% producing MLO (she’s met with Jamie Dimon a few times based on her performance when she was at Chase) who has worked for 3 different banks
    I work closely with the head of mortgage/consumer lending at my bank
    I have friends and professional contacts that are senior leaders in mortgage at Chase, USBank, PNC, and M&T

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    So, we noticed after living in our house a little while that the roof design has no gutters, but instead drains at the corners of the roof. It's a well pitched roof, but I'm not sure what we'll do about cleaning the drains. We're going to get up to 35mm of rain in the next couple of days so we'll get a sense of how it performs. The roof is only about three years old, though the house is 50 years old.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Nice when they leave useful stuff and not a bunch of garbage.

I left an electric grill and a NuWave cooker. So Chaotic Neutral at least.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The place that did my mortgage did all my paperwork online and my loan officer was this really nice 80 year old lady who gave me candy.

It was great, way better than the first time I attempted to buy a house and went through the bank my parents recommended.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    My first mortgage went through a local broker, then I re-fi'd a few years later with Aimloan.com since I was looking to get a 15-year instead of 30. They were both easy enough, and both choices beat the pants off any rate I could get from a Big Bank or even the local credit unions.

If you have (or have easy access to) a laser printer + scanner, there isn't any reason to not do an online mortgage.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Our first mortgage was a real pain to get because the house needed a lot of work up front. Appraisals were coming in $40K lower than the asking price which was based off of the property size. Ended up having to go through a private lender at a higher percentage for 3 years and we had to sink $25K into renovations in the first 6 months to get the appraisal high enough to make them happy.

When we renewed we were able to go through a bank which had a better rate, but then when the next renewal came up that bank didn't want to give us more to add another building, so on to another bank. Now, 3 lenders later the property is appraised $250K higher than our mortgage amount.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    I met my new neighbor before I even started moving things into my new house because he worked at the title place and overheard our address and introduced himself before we went in to sign the papers.

"Hey I heard your address and I live across the street. Welcome to the neighborhood."

• Options
    I love this house.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Long-Beach/1169-E-17th-St-90813/home/7614042

I have no idea what this neighborhood is like but I know PCH right there is not a good area.

But look at those interiors!

I like to ART
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I've been on the hunt for a bit now and found a place I really like at a good price. Set up a second viewing for Sunday with a friend I trust to give me a good "you are/aren't crazy" read and of course someone made an offer on it just now this afternoon.

Debating going for it too, but felt comical after I decided not to post a comment earlier that was basically the same sans the rival.

This stuff is stressful.

• Options
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I've been on the hunt for a bit now and found a place I really like at a good price. Set up a second viewing for Sunday with a friend I trust to give me a good "you are/aren't crazy" read and of course someone made an offer on it just now this afternoon.

Debating going for it too, but felt comical after I decided not to post a comment earlier that was basically the same sans the rival.

This stuff is stressful.

send us a link let us judge you like a greek chorus.

I like to ART
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Noooooo my stomach hurts enough already.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I love this house.

I have no idea what this neighborhood is like but I know PCH right there is not a good area.

That is the most beautiful bungalow I've seen in a while. They've really done a lovely job coordinating the interior and exterior design. I"m highly envious!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I love this house.

I'm not fond of the modern art area rug, but the rest of the decor is sexy.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    We finished closing and the champagne is gone, so I highly encourage everybody to buy a house.

• Options
    I love this house.

I mean right between the port and the airport has gotta be good, right?

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I have to be honest though I’m getting close to showing my wife that house at that price and going for it before having a job lined up there yet

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Nice when they leave useful stuff and not a bunch of garbage.

I

uh

accidentally left my tarantula's old terrarium, and the tupperware container that had 8 years worth of her molted skins in it. I was going to do a nice framed art project that showed her increasing size, but never got around to it.

I imagine the maintenance people at my apartment were quite surprised

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Our mortgage is held by Wells Fargo and they constantly can't stay out of their own way when it comes to general banking. I feel nervous about staying there, but the cost of refinancing to get to another bank doesn't seem worthwhile. Especially when other banks can't match or improve the rate.

We haven't had any shenanigans with ours but the way WF is managing themselves, I feel that's more of an anomaly than a normality.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Done. My arms are jello. But it's done.

vgbR4rZ.jpg

Damn shame though, throwin' away a perfectly good white boy.

SRDgqV6.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I love our town sometimes.

I get three bulk pickup a year.

Just schedule, put it on the curb, and it's all picked up.

I get bulk pickup once a week.

Sometimes I just throw an armoire out there, just for the rush.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    I have to be honest though I’m getting close to showing my wife that house at that price and going for it before having a job lined up there yet

I honestly don't know what that area of long beach is like, it changes block to block, but it's almost certainly not a good area.

I like to ART
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I love our town sometimes.

I get three bulk pickup a year.

Just schedule, put it on the curb, and it's all picked up.

I get bulk pickup once a week.

Sometimes I just throw an armoire out there, just for the rush.

Do you do so whilst sitting on the front porch Kramer style, till someone comes and informs you they're taking said armoire and that's all there is to it?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

As I tell my kids when they get on my nerves, "I made you. I can just make another one of you and sell you to the highest bidder if it suits me."

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

As I tell my kids when they get on my nerves, "I made you. I can just make another one of you and sell you to the highest bidder if it suits me."

I'm not sure if paraphrasing Bill Cosby is a good parenting strategy, though.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

Eh. Just because he was a crappy dude doesn't mean he didn't say a couple funny things.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

Eh. Just because he was a crappy dude doesn't mean he didn't say a couple funny things.

Damnatio memoriae is how we deal with bad people now.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Kamiro wrote: »
    We finished closing and the champagne is gone, so I highly encourage everybody to buy a house.

We have too much champagne. Our title agent gave us a bottle, our new next door neighbor gave us a bottle, my fiancees parents gave us a bottle, and another one has been promised some friends.

I don't even like champagne!!

Mix with OJ (Or other juice of your choosing). Sip on Saturday morning and enjoy a wasted afternoon!

Bullhead on
    96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »

We have too much champagne. Our title agent gave us a bottle, our new next door neighbor gave us a bottle, my fiancees parents gave us a bottle, and another one has been promised some friends.

I don't even like champagne!!

You bought a house, now you have a place to have a party. Serve Champagne.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Came home and both kitchen sinks were half full of dirty water.

Turns out when I told my roommate she should stop putting everything the tiny human didn't eat down the garbage disposal instead of at least scraping the large food chunks into the garbage I was right.

Thankfully an hour and a bottle of liquid plumber or two cleared it but jfc please stop putting that shit down the drain

• Options
    That reminds me of an old apartment

Where the kitchen sink in the adjoining unit was so backed up that somehow whenever I flushed a dookie, it would bubble up in that sink.

I learned this 2 minutes after taking a dump and opening the front door to the landlord in semi-hazmat gear holding a plumbing snake asking me if I had used my bathroom recently, because he was having a real shit time trying to fix the sink in said other unit

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular

Turns out when I told my roommate she should stop putting everything the tiny human didn't eat down the garbage disposal instead of at least scraping the large food chunks into the garbage I was right.

Thankfully an hour and a bottle of liquid plumber or two cleared it but jfc please stop putting that shit down the drain

Yea, you should be telling her that a garbage disposal is not the garbage can. It is meant for crumbs that get missed when throwing food off a plate into the garbage.

I caught my wife throwing potato rinds down into the garbage disposal... It burned out... she learned her lesson.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »

Yea, you should be telling her that a garbage disposal is not the garbage can. It is meant for crumbs that get missed when throwing food off a plate into the garbage.

I caught my wife throwing potato rinds down into the garbage disposal... It burned out... she learned her lesson.

My mom was over at my house a couple of weeks ago and tried to put lime rinds into the disposal. I had to explain that it's more there to assist in getting dirty water down the drain. You don't throw big hunks of waste down there unless you really enjoy snaking your pipes on a regular basis. I like to think of it more as an assistant for when you let crap get down the drain and not another trash can. I'm sure the local waste water treatment plant appreciates it.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

My mom was over at my house a couple of weeks ago and tried to put lime rinds into the disposal. I had to explain that it's more there to assist in getting dirty water down the drain. You don't throw big hunks of waste down there unless you really enjoy snaking your pipes on a regular basis. I like to think of it more as an assistant for when you let crap get down the drain and not another trash can. I'm sure the local waste water treatment plant appreciates it.

Some people do that to clean the blades on the disposal and get rid of some of the smell, especially with orange peel.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

One thing to note though, liquid plumber isn't a long term solution and can often make things worse by merely pushing smaller clogs a little bit further on so they end up clogging with debris further on, creating a much larger clog much deeper in the pipes that will have to be power-snaked out. It can also be dangerous for whomever you call to fix the problem if the liquid plumber can't clear the clog, as when they go to snake they could get a faceful of now-caustic sludge.

• Options
    People are way too cautious with their disposals in terms of what you put down in it.
    It's capable of handling much more than crumbs and its entire purpose is to turn normal scraps into easy to flush down particles.

Hell even the manuals say shit like corn husks, bones, fruit pits, peels etc...

Of course its easier if you scrape all but the tiniest scraps off dishes but why'd you buy a half horsepower grinding machine to not use it.

Brother in law who is a plumber said some High end models say you can throw whatever the fuck you want down there.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »

Some people do that to clean the blades on the disposal and get rid of some of the smell, especially with orange peel.

I clean the blades by dumping a pot full of soapy water down the drain while it's running.

• Options
    I use a full ass sink of soapy water on both sides but only after a little baking soda and vinegar diy cleaner to loosen shit up.
    I inherited my disposal from the previous owner so it's gotta be damn near 20 years old by now.

This discussion has been closed.