As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also on iphone if you Swipe down on the bottom part of the screen (where the little bar is when you are in apps) itll pull the screen halfway down. Letting you reach the corners.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I've learned from my elderly patrons, so I refuse to engage with the touch screen and just bellow stilted voice commands into the bottom of the phone while holding it two inches from my mouth like a CB handset.

The phone does not understand me, and I become furious.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My dad, who used to be vehemently against iPhones, got one a few months ago, and now he uses Siri all the goddamn time

He even turns it on with 'Hey Siri'

it's kind of adorable, honestly

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I have big enough hands that reaching any part of the screen has never been an issue.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    My parents are like that, they love their amazon alexa surveillance cylinder.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Also weirdly while I'm right handed, when I use my phone one-handed it's almost exclusively with my left hand.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Rachel and I are getting closer to needing new phones. Our current phones are the 6S+, which are still holding on pretty well but are starting to get issues with batteries and stuff.

I’ve been pretty happy with my XR, which will almost certainly go down in price following these new phones.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    taco543taco543 Loser CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I have big enough hands that reaching any part of the screen has never been an issue.

You know what they say about big hands....
    They need bigger gloves

Jedoc wrote: »
    I've learned from my elderly patrons, so I refuse to engage with the touch screen and just bellow stilted voice commands into the bottom of the phone while holding it two inches from my mouth like a CB handset.

The phone does not understand me, and I become furious.

Also, I work at a bank and this infuriates me SO MUCH. I'll have customers coming in to do wires and I'll ask em for wire info, immediately oh yeah hold up! And they just start yelling into their phone for wire instructions and it never works and they always get upset

taco543 on
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    Rachel and I are getting closer to needing new phones. Our current phones are the 6S+, which are still holding on pretty well but are starting to get issues with batteries and stuff.

I’ve been pretty happy with my XR, which will almost certainly go down in price following these new phones.

That’s what I was thinking of going with, yeah. As nice as these brand new phones are I think I’d rather get one that’s still pretty good and a lot cheaper

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    taco543 wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »

You know what they say about big hands....
    They need bigger gloves

That is a common concern of mine yes

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have to skip the 11 solely because I've only ever bought even numbered iphones and I'm not stopping that tradition now (with the exception of the first one.) I went from the first to the 4 to the 6 to the X.

It'll probably be two year until the 12 so I have some time and nothing is currently wrong with my X.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited September 2019
    X isn't a number, and it's a pretty odd letter.

Checkmate.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    X isn't a number, and it's a pretty odd letter.

Checkmate.

How are you going to be able to tell when movies were made!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    www.imdb.com.

King me.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Apple just announced their own games service and they are no shit advertising it with fucking frogger

and a partnership with beloved industry staple konami

you know I'm still fucking amazed that apple doesn't allow livestreaming of this shit
    They streamed the whole press conference on YouTube, though I think this is the first time they’ve done that.

Unless you meant something else?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I have to skip the 11 solely because I've only ever bought even numbered iphones and I'm not stopping that tradition now (with the exception of the first one.) I went from the first to the 4 to the 6 to the X.

It'll probably be two year until the 12 so I have some time and nothing is currently wrong with my X.

Yea these new cameras are nice but my X is working just fine so no need to upgrade, even almost 2 years in. Lets get two more years out of this!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I am absolutely baffled at Apple’s decision to keep jamming every goddamn thing under the sun into their new watches except a battery that will last longer than a day. Make a big fat watch and let me wear it for a week, Apple, damn!

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Them: I really like that giant battery you’ve got strapped to your wrist.
    You: It tells time, too!

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

XR is now $599, new iPhone 11 is $699.

I personally think the new cameras + A13 + more RAM + better FaceID is probably worth $100 over 3+ years, but it might not be for everyone.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssss

1iaocdu7u6af.jpg

it's happenin my dooogs

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

XR is now $599, new iPhone 11 is $699.

I personally think the new cameras + A13 + more RAM + better FaceID is probably worth $100 over 3+ years, but it might not be for everyone.

Hmm, if the price different is that slight maybe I’ll go with that. It’s a ways off before I upgrade though, so who knows.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i felt the 10 was a really bad value for money, but the 11 sort of closes the gap depending on if you think the camera + battery life is worth it

10 was almost a farce... Face ID... and animojies!! weeeeee!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Zxerol wrote: »
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssss

1iaocdu7u6af.jpg

it's happenin my dooogs

are those keyboard switches? are you building something?

Brolo on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssss

1iaocdu7u6af.jpg

it's happenin my dooogs

Thats weed rolo, jesus christ you said you were cool

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

yessir, they're mechanical key switches that I'm using to mod some compact keyboards for home/work because I've become really annoyed at the ergonomics of full-sized 104 keyboards.

These particular switches are perpetually out of stock and I had to import dem bitches from China and they're gonna be fuckin sick when I put them in

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssss

1iaocdu7u6af.jpg

it's happenin my dooogs

Thats weed rolo, jesus christ you said you were cool

Rolo's a cop you can't just tell him what that shit is

• Options
    ordered an 11 Pro.... don't plan on getting it for 3 weeks unless you want Rose Gold (yuck)

• Options
    I opened up my old Apple IIc at school yesterday and fixed the sticky spacebar. I also cleaned all the rest of the keys. The speaker also decided to start working again so now this 35 year old computer is basically mint, except for the plastic being discolored by UV.

Kids are back to playing Oregon Trail the way it was supposed to be played, on a green crt screen!

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    ordered an 11 Pro.... don't plan on getting it for 3 weeks unless you want Rose Gold (yuck)

I got a regular (Green) 11 for my wife through T-mo without any trouble. I didn't bother with the Apple site since it is easier to finance with the carrier.

• Options
    i didn't have any trouble, just out of supply. maybe they don't make as many pros or something

the apple site didn't bother me too much except if you ask them to pre-configure the phone for your account, they make you ship it to your wireless account's address on file... which I am pretty sure is not accurate for me ;o

so i think i need to sim swap when it gets here

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I want to change my X for the new Pro 11...maybe the max not sure yet...but I can get work to pay for it if I wait till January.

Why work do you have 3 year upgrade plans and not 2 year...who signed these ancient terms!

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Just got an email from Google Pixel teasing an announcement for October 15th, guessing that's gonna be the 4.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    My old Moto G4+ is getting on a bit, and I want to upgrade, but I work in a regional area and there are maybe 1 and a half service providers I trust (I'm currently with the 1, and have been told the half is a lot better than it used to be).

I'm happily out of contract but wouldn't mind going back on one for a better deal, and I keep seeing offers I'd jump on like a 12 month plan, decent data, with a $2/3/400 gift card towards a new phone, except they are for new customers only.

I really don't want to go through the hassle of porting out for a month just to qualify for a better deal when I come back. It's a pet hate of mine when existing customers are treated worse than new ones.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I picked up a Moto G7 recently, unlocked at Best Buy for $229, and I'm pretty pleased with it so far

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Sterica wrote: »
    I have my butler press it for me.

Can confirm.

Butler on
  • Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    Just got an email from Google Pixel teasing an announcement for October 15th, guessing that's gonna be the 4.

There are also full-on video reviews of early production units out there. Safe to say there aren't any surprises left.

Also early iPhone reviews are up, and they're exactly what you'd expect based on the specs and the types of places that actually get seeded review units from Apple.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    My old Moto G4+ is getting on a bit, and I want to upgrade, but I work in a regional area and there are maybe 1 and a half service providers I trust (I'm currently with the 1, and have been told the half is a lot better than it used to be).

I'm happily out of contract but wouldn't mind going back on one for a better deal, and I keep seeing offers I'd jump on like a 12 month plan, decent data, with a $2/3/400 gift card towards a new phone, except they are for new customers only.

I really don't want to go through the hassle of porting out for a month just to qualify for a better deal when I come back. It's a pet hate of mine when existing customers are treated worse than new ones.

Does it have to be for a whole month, or can you buy a $2 Amaysim, swap it in and activate it, then stroll right into the telstra store 5 minutes later?

• Options
    McFodder wrote: »

Does it have to be for a whole month, or can you buy a $2 Amaysim, swap it in and activate it, then stroll right into the telstra store 5 minutes later?

I'm told I need to have been out of Telstra's system for 30 days to be eligible for 'new customer' deals.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fuck 'em. Go with Optus.

• Options
    I've just looked at Optus's plans and they're actually more expensive than Telstra? When did that happen??

This discussion has been closed.