As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

40 Years of Weird Al

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Just got back from Strings Attached in Cary, NC. Outdoors in NC is not generally a wise move in July (so... humid...), but at least the rain held off this time (I was not at the show that was cut short a few years ago, opting to catch a later show in Charlotte). Good set, with a different mix than usual and even at least one song that Al claims he has never performed live prior to this tour.

Set list as best I can recall (gonna screw the order up so ignore that):
    Big Band Medley of Lost on Jeopardy/Like a Surgeon/something else I can't remember? (not Eat It, as he had done similarly on the Mandatory Fun tour)
    Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota
    Weasel Stomping Day
    Don't Download This Song
    Jurassic Park
    Word Crimes
    You Don't Love Me Anymore (perhaps the song most improved by the symphony)
    Harvey the Wonder Hamster
    Jackson Park Express(!)
    Tacky
    Smells Like Nirvana (in costume)
    White & Nerdy (in costume)
    Dare to Be Stupid (in costume)
    Amish Paradise (in costume)
    Encore: Saga Begins/Yoda (in costume with the usual cosplay honor guard)

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We're going on Thursday in NH. Thinking about bumping up our seats since there are still a good number available. I haven't seen him live in years, I'm excited and my son is fourteen so I think he'll have fun too.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Just got back from Strings Attached in Cary, NC. Outdoors in NC is not generally a wise move in July (so... humid...), but at least the rain held off this time (I was not at the show that was cut short a few years ago, opting to catch a later show in Charlotte). Good set, with a different mix than usual and even at least one song that Al claims he has never performed live prior to this tour.

Big Band Medley of Lost on Jeopardy/Like a Surgeon/something else I can't remember? (not Eat It, as he had done similarly on the Mandatory Fun tour)
    Weasel Stomping Day
    Don't Download This Song
    Jurassic Park
    Word Crimes
    Jackson Park Express(!)
    Tacky

This is basically the same setlist when I saw him in Dallas. My only complaint is there was no polka, but I guess it would be hard to use an orchestra for that.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    August 17 for me

BLM - ACAB
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Going to the LA show, so excited.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    August 17 for me

Me tooo

• JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Saw him (for my first time) in Toronto last Monday. My girlfriend originally got the tickets last year as a Christmas gift. I can’t even put into words how good the show was.

Bloods End wrote: »
    August 17 for me

Me tooo

Oh hey you’re in Seattle huh?

BLM - ACAB
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Weasel Stomping Day
    Don't Download This Song
    Jurassic Park
    Word Crimes
    Jackson Park Express(!)
    Tacky

Argh, I wanted to go to this show so bad but I was out of town last weekend.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

Weasel Stomping Day
    Don't Download This Song
    Jurassic Park
    Word Crimes
    Jackson Park Express(!)
    Tacky

Bruh.

I was there. So weird seeing other forumers are near me

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    In related news, I did see him in Seattle when he came through for the latest tour and it was a fantastic show as always.

For those of you who attended in other towns: Since he used a local orchestra at each stop, did your show also feature a few warm up numbers for the orchestra alone and then an intermission before the full on concert began? Our orchestra here did some John Williams and other such fun stuff.

BLM - ACAB
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    you know, I can't remember if I posted it here or learned it here or what, but did you all know that Albuquerque is not an original, but a parody of this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glVrf7J6wss

also, I know how to spell Albuquerque because of Weird Al

thank you Weird Al

edit: this song is every bit as weird as the parody

Xaquin on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    When I saw him at a local fairgrounds something like ten years ago he didn't have an orchestra with him

Madican wrote: »
    When I saw him at a local fairgrounds something like ten years ago he didn't have an orchestra with him

I meant specifically for the tour this year. It's a special tour where his band plays along with an orchestra.

BLM - ACAB
    In related news, I did see him in Seattle when he came through for the latest tour and it was a fantastic show as always.

For those of you who attended in other towns: Since he used a local orchestra at each stop, did your show also feature a few warm up numbers for the orchestra alone and then an intermission before the full on concert began? Our orchestra here did some John Williams and other such fun stuff.

Yeah the NC symphony ran through a few Williams songs (Raiders, Superman, Star Wars) as a warm-up.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I was at a karaoke night the other night, and went with The Saga Begins.

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular

Yeah. Fun, but hard on our 3-year-old who was already up an hour past his bedtime and waiting for White and Nerdy.

mkc.png

Was definitely not expecting this to be on the setlist.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Paul Rudd took his daughter out for Trunk or Treat this weekend (what the hell is Trunk or Treat?). Daughter went as The Wasp. Hey, that's cool! The Wasp and Ant-Man!

Nope!

hf2j0rgemd0z.png

I think I actually remember seeing that from last year.

BLM - ACAB
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Paul Rudd took his daughter out for Trunk or Treat this weekend (what the hell is Trunk or Treat?). Daughter went as The Wasp. Hey, that's cool! The Wasp and Ant-Man!
    Nope!
    hf2j0rgemd0z.png

Sure, who wants to wear their work clothes for Halloween?
    Chris Pratt, sure, probably Ryan Reynolds (assuming, of course, that he's ever not wearing the Deadpool suit).

Just saying, it's got to be a lot of work maintaining the shape to get into an MCU suit, and not everybody's going to be up for that 365 days a year. Given the option for a nice Hawaiian shirt, a wig and the option to eat a sandwich on occasion or a year round super hero diet/workout regimen to be able to fit into the Ant Man costume...

Just saying, I can understand why he may have wanted to go with Weird Al.

Very possible; I just saw it, but coulda been!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @chromdom

Trunk or Treat is when you have a bunch of people bring their (sometimes-decorated) cars to a central location (school or shopping center parking lot, mostly) so that kids can go trick-or-treating in a safe location, usually during daylight. Tends to work out better for little kids.

I was guessing it was some kind of attempt to get kids not to trick people who gave bad treats

chromdom wrote: »

Very possible; I just saw it, but coulda been!

In fact, fuck it. That should be posted every Halloween, and it will be great every year!

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It surprises me 0% that he’s good at game shows

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I remember watching that episode and getting into an argument with my stepbrother. We agreed that the producers had clearly intended to have one celebrity who could clean up at the trivia portion through being a living pop-culture encyclopedia, and one who could dominate the physical challenges by being a legendary muscle man. But we disagreed that Lou Ferrigno's brand of physicality was actually a good fit for game, since Double Dare challenges are pretty light on strength and endurance elements, and are mostly calibrated for the energy of hyped-up middle school kids. And the episode largely validated my position, although Lou put up a better fight than I anticipated.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    It says a lot about just how good he is that he can make it funny at the same time–that's a level of skill all on its own to go "I'm going to do this flawlessly, then make a joke out of it after."

Which, I guess, is Weird Al's career in a nutshell.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    This weekend I discovered that the Peacock streaming service has The Weird Al Show in its archives.

And then like 6 hours of my day vanished.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Finally, a reason to give a care about Peacock. That show was goofy and fun

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    I have the DVD box set!

BLM - ACAB
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Now all he needs to do is parody it with a song about beating it and music will officially have come full circle

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Now all he needs to do is parody it with a song about beating it and music will officially have come full circle

https://youtu.be/e4wFviI79VA

BLM - ACAB