As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who is the best Ryu in video games?

-Tal-Tal Registered User regular
mbmGSEX.jpg
zgQWUB7.jpg
lO380MM.png

This is to be graded comprehensively, considering aesthetic design, personality, ability to win in a fight, how fun it is to play as them, and reviewer's tilt

PNk1Ml4.png

Who is the best Ryu in video games? 115 votes

Ryu Hayabusa
19%
MulysaSemproniusAlucard6986Houk the NamebringerKadithDrezKarlcj iwakuraDarkPrimusTransporterChincymcchillaWybornOdinTonkkaani_game_bumRorshach KringleRadiusElderlycrawfishDaebunzFawst-Tal 22 votes
Ryu Streetfighter
53%
#pipeMulletudeA duck!ButlerAshcroftDevlin_DragonusDex DynamoWearingglassesOne Thousand CablesVeldrinPerrsunsarukunph blakeBrolobsjezzAzraithOptycheese_boyUnbrokenEvakriegs 62 votes
Ryu Breathoffire
26%
NothingDarmakRaijin Quickfootsee317Magic PinkBeef AvengerTNTrooperNorgothwanderingNaphtaliSimBendurandal4532Tofystedethqwer12turtleantFig-DTaminDemonStaceyHexmage-PAXeinos 31 votes

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Ryu Streetfighter
    Even I'm gonna go with Ryu Streetfighter, and I'm Dan Hibiki 4 Lyfe

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Ryu Streetfighter
    he's a wizard

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Geez Ryu what happened
    That beard totally doesn't suit you at all

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Larlar

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Geez Ryu what happened

the satsui no hado don't give a fuck

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Ryu Hayabusa
    1. I like Ryu Hayabusa's sexy leather ninja outfit with no arms so you can see his biceps and cool mask with crown that reveals his piercing green eyes. Aesthetics: 9.86/10

2. Not too much to speak of with his personality, unfortunately. I'm going to have to give a low score of Personality: 9.21/10.

3. When it comes to murdering people, it's hard to beat Hayabusa, who is also known as "the Super Ninja" or "the Singular Super Ninja", "Dragon Ninja", "the Modern Day Ninja" and "the Ultimate Ninja".... Ability to Win in a Fight: 9.98/10

4. Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 are really fun games! and the nes games are cool too! but also there's some bad ones. How Fun It Is To Play As Them: 9.79/10

5. I like hayabusa Reviewer's Tilt: 10/10

Total: 9.768/10

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Ryu Streetfighter
    Geez Ryu what happened

It was the year of the Dad Beard. Everyone got a beard.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Ryu Hayabusa
    ryu looks good with a beard, which is why many in the gaming community have dubbed him "hot ryu"

PNk1Ml4.png
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Ryu Streetfighter
    -Tal wrote: »
    ryu looks good with a beard, which is why many in the gaming community have dubbed him "hot ryu"

Personally I think that might be the eight pack that looks like a fresh pack of ping pong balls

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Ryu Streetfighter
    Geez Ryu what happened

Geth please ban Peas

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Ryu Streetfighter
    Ryu with a beard is the best Ryu

CYpGAPn.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I like a good pastrami on ryu

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Thought this poll was going to be about who was the best "main character" in a fighting game

Like Kyo is the Ryu of King of Fighters

Ryu Streetfighter
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Thought this poll was going to be about who was the best "main character" in a fighting game

See this seems like a fun discussion

CYpGAPn.png
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Ryu Streetfighter
    Who is the best Ryu? The answer lies...

in the heart of battle.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    Ryu Streetfighter
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

See this seems like a fun discussion

The best Ryu is John Cena

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Ryu Hayabusa
    the best ryu is ken

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Ryu Hayabusa
    There's a correct answer to this question (Ryu Hayabusa) and a lot of y'all gonna get it wrong

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    latest?cb=20130329201536

Ryu Streetfighter
    the best ryu is ken

the best ryu is not dan

but that is because dan is far superior to any and all puny ryus

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Ryu Breathoffire
    Guys, I don't want to insult your ninja Ryu, or your punch guy Ryu, but Breath of Fire Ryu is an actual literal dragon who has killed gods.
    BoF Ryu has, by far, the greatest body count of any of these Ryus, not only by virtue of being a JRPG protagonist, but also for being the JRPG protagonist for 5 games. He's cut his way across planets leaving a swath of death and suffering behind him for no reason beyond the experience and the gold in the pockets of his victims.

Punch guy Ryu? Sure, he's fought a bunch, but always the same dozen or two people. Has he ever slaughtered his foes by the hundreds in order to buy a shiny new swordpair of punch gloves? I think not.
    Ninja Ryu? I'll admit, I don't know what Ninja Ryu's been up to recently. Been a long time since I played a Ninja Gaiden game. But I'm guessing that, despite being a ninja with a badass scarf, the total number of gods he's killed is less than BoF Ryu.

Ryu Streetfighter
    Is the Ryu of Mortal Kombat Liu Kang, Scorpion or Sub-Zero

CYpGAPn.png
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Lars wrote: »
    latest?cb=20130329201536

I was like "wait, if Wright is named after a dragon in Japan, not a phoenix, then where does the "Rise From the Ashes" case name come from? Anyway, turns out it's just "Turnabout Rebirth" there, which is way more boring.

Moth 13 on
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Ryu Hayabusa

it's raiden

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Ryu Hayabusa

It's Liu Kang. Ryu isn't just the main character, he's the "normal" guy who does a martial art very well.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    Ryu Streetfighter
    see317 wrote: »
    Guys, I don't want to insult your ninja Ryu, or your punch guy Ryu, but Breath of Fire Ryu is an actual literal dragon who has killed gods.

yeah but nobody knows what that game is

Ryu Streetfighter
    Radius wrote: »

It's Liu Kang. Ryu isn't just the main character, he's the "normal" guy who does a martial art very well.

Lore-wise, absolutely

but, on a mechanical level, Ryu is the "template" character on which half a dozen other characters (Ken, Dan, Allen, Sean, Akuma) are based to varying degrees

there's a strong argument to be made that Sub-Zero fills that role within Mortal Kombat

(Scorpion is Ken, in this scenario)

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Ryu Hayabusa
    I love Breath of Fire Ryu but he doesn't have an Izuna Drop.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Ryu Hayabusa
    I was about to throw a shit-fit at the absence of Ryu from Shenmue, but turns out I forgot his name is actually Ryo.

Still, he's the best Ry_ around.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Ryu Breathoffire
    I enjoyed Breath of Fire II a lot as a kid and I wish they had bothered to retranslate it for the rereleases

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Reduce Ryus. Recycle.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Ryu Hayabusa
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Radius wrote: »

Lore-wise, absolutely

but, on a mechanical level, Ryu is the "template" character on which half a dozen other characters (Ken, Dan, Allen, Sean, Akuma) are based to varying degrees

there's a strong argument to be made that Sub-Zero fills that role within Mortal Kombat

(Scorpion is Ken, in this scenario)

Scorpion is the Ryu

His clan is the Shirai Ryu

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    ARyu talkin' to me?

When all those Ryus get back together do you think that they call it a Ryunion?

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Ryu Breathoffire
    Ninja Guy Dan is not a Ryu.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Ryu Hayabusa
    see317 wrote: »
    BoF Ryu has, by far, the greatest body count of any of these Ryus, not only by virtue of being a JRPG protagonist, but also for being the JRPG protagonist for 5 games. He's cut his way across planets leaving a swath of death and suffering behind him for no reason beyond the experience and the gold in the pockets of his victims.

Punch guy Ryu? Sure, he's fought a bunch, but always the same dozen or two people. Has he ever slaughtered his foes by the hundreds in order to buy a shiny new swordpair of punch gloves? I think not.
    Ninja Ryu? I'll admit, I don't know what Ninja Ryu's been up to recently. Been a long time since I played a Ninja Gaiden game. But I'm guessing that, despite being a ninja with a badass scarf, the total number of gods he's killed is less than BoF Ryu.

Now I've only played two of the Ninja Gaidens to completion, but from my experience it seems like Ryu Hayabusa can't go pick up some milk at the corner store without being waylaid by the servants of a bad god that he'll eventually have to fight his way to and murder

dN0T6ur.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Ryu Breathoffire
    I really like all 3, but the swordsman who's also a dragon kind of takes the cake for me, even though I have yet to complete a BoF entry. Although if it weren't for the modern NG games I might've gone with Hayabusa, I don't like his updated design as much, but I love the first two NES games.
    "hot ryu?"

lemme tell y'all about a man named mister

Ryu
    Jehong
    Sexy

"Hot Ryu" isn't implying he's the only Ryu that is hot, they're just saying it's the hottest version of Street Fighter's Ryu.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Ryu Streetfighter
    okay so I think Jin Kazama is pretty clearly the Ryu of Tekken

for Soulcalibur my first instinct was Siegfried with Nightmare as his Ken, but the more I think about it I'm pretty sure the Ryu of that series is Sophitia. Super integral to the plot, arguably the main protagonist through much of the series including the recent reboot, and she's a template for at least two other characters - Cassandra who is absolutely her Ken, and Lizardman.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Ryu Streetfighter
    A Ryu needs to be easy to pick up and Jin is one of the hardest execution characters

I might honestly call Asuka the the Ryu of Tekken at this point