As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Best Local Multiplayer Games

McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
The internet is fantastic. It lets you do lots of things. It's come a long way. It makes it easy to communicate with people, even when they are far, far away.

but

wiping the smug look off your friend's face is still best done in person.

In this thread, I'd like to talk about fantastic games you can play with your friends on a couch, on beanbags, or even standing up and waving your arms around like fools. They come in a lot of different varieties - some are party games you can play with a big group or are conducive to passing the controllers around, some are fantastic to work your way through with a couple of close mates. I'd argue party games really got started during the N64 and PS2 era with stuff like GoldenEye, Smash Bros and the Buzz quiz games (and even Mario Kart expanding out to 4 players from 2), and many fun hours have been had since then.

I'm going to start it off with a few of my favourites, a bit Nintendo biased but hey, that's mostly what I've had.

Mario Party
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7zTJLIYJds
Welcome to Mario Party, where everything is made up and the minigames don't matter. It's been a staple since back on the N64, though I didn't play any between then and the latest on Switch. Great for up to 4 players in the full board mode, and works fine in bigger groups passing the controller around when you just play through the minigames or other modes. Great for players of mixed skill levels because for the most part, it doesn't matter at all.

SnipperClips (Switch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFH2gtPu8SM
As a Switch launch title in that brief window where there weren't a lot of games, this probably actually got the attention it deserved. It demands cooperation to get through the levels, but it's slow paced and simple enough for even novice gamers to have a go at, and it's absolutely charming. Then everyone starts snipping each other to bits and nothing productive happens for 5 minutes at least

NintendoLand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sawZZVrlsSo
Did I say the Switch had a game drought? Sorry, the Wii U would like to have a word with me. Probably the first game to show off how asynchronous gameplay on the Wii U could be done, and unfortunately this is the game my in-laws still insist we play - but it's still fun. Mario Chase and Luigi's Ghost Hunt especially, with 4v1 gameplay with each team getting different levels of info, are great fun in a group. Plus it's always fun to gang up on family.

and, for something different (though still on Wii U)

Affordable Space Adventures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O_n_fCBZac
This is probably the most fun I've had playing on a couch with friends. You can play it solo, but you would be a madman and a criminal. Up to 3 players, each controlling separate functions of your Affordable Spaceship with wildly different control schemes through a series of challenging levels and puzzles.

Games I am yet to play, but would be happy to hear about other people's experiences with! (also, tell me about games I don't know about!)
Heave Ho (link to a giantbomb stream I saw shared here, has swearing and hilarity) - picking this one up for a games night this weekend
Lovers In a Dangerous Spacetime - I hear this is a lot of fun but don't know a lot of details yet
Jackbox Party Pack - there are now 5 different packs of minigames, with a 6th I believe not far away. Use your phone or other device to beat your friends! In the game, not RL please. But I'm not your parent.
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - this is one of the major reasons I'd like to get VR. One person gets guided through defusing a bomb. They can't see the instructions. No one else can see the bomb.
Push Me Pull You - a game about friendship and wrestling, best played 2v2. I actually got to play a bit of this with the developers at a PAX-adjacent thing before it came out and had fun, but I was fairly drunk so may have bee biased.

Okay! It's your time! Tell us what games everyone should play together!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    super smash bros.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    We host monthly game nights at our home. We don't own a Switch yet - we'll likely get one for te holiday season this year!

Any of the Jackbox Party Packs are excellent choices. Fan favorite games are Quiplash and Drawful. Neither of those depend on any kind of trivia knowledge since the players are responsible for the validity of the answers. Murder Party is another popular choice but suffers from the trivia night syndrome. Once you know the answers to the questions it becomes a lot less fun.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes made the rounds a few years back when it first came out and the VR version is much improved, but it has the disadvantage of being a VR game that requires setting up the headset.

SpaceTeam is a mobile game that involves a lot of shouting and cooperation. It's free to play and can host up to 8 players. It's platform agnostic as long as everyone is on the same wifi network.

26904.png
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I'll have to check SpaceTeam out, that looks like heaps of fun!

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Resident Evil Revelations 2
    I like how you have to use teamwork with each player playing a different role (combat and support). There's an RPG upgrade tree and you can tackle levels in any order at various difficulty levels. Probably my fav local coop game so far
    https://youtu.be/I9KfDiVhTyg
    Castle Crashers
    A really fun retro style beat em up for up to 4 player local coop. I had a great time playing this year's ago and it recently had a remastered release
    https://youtu.be/srZXWDjeOf4
    A Way Out
    This game was designed for local coop though supports online as well. It's a story based game that has a unique split screen style. This one is on my backlog admittedly, but it seems great for local couch coop
    https://youtu.be/-r5fY05t_7g

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Just a shoutout here for the website Co-Optimus, which lists co-op games and categorizes them by "couch co-op" (eg, in-person) vs online. They have ratings and you can search by platform.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes made the rounds a few years back when it first came out and the VR version is much improved, but it has the disadvantage of being a VR game that requires setting up the headset.

FYI, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes does not require VR. You just have to position the team of "experts" in such a way that they can't see the "technician's" screen.

You can literally just rotate your couch 180 degrees (if that's convenient) or have somebody play on a laptop behind a dungeon master's screen.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

McFodder wrote: »
    Lovers In a Dangerous Spacetime - I hear this is a lot of fun but don't know a lot of details yet

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is one of my favorites.

Aesthetically, it's very cute and colorful. A lot of pastels.

Up to 4 players pilot a spaceship. You directly control your own crew-member; the spaceship is shown to you in a cross-section and you run from side to side or jump around between parts of the ship (a bit like a platformer). In order to control the spaceship, your character needs to be standing in the right spot for the component you want to control.

ss_9258e46d97c5cc9a0a64228fe3aebce583bf6015.1920x1080.jpg

this gif is a little bit over our size limit but it's a good representation

For example, if you want to shoot out of the cannon on the right, you need to get your little crewman over to the right-most weapons console, press X (or the appropriate button on your controller) to take control of the console, and then you can aim and shoot.

Somebody else might steer the ship using the steering wheel in the middle, or yet another person might man a different gun.

The goal is to pilot the ship around in zero gravity, rescue space bunnies (yes, for real), and occasionally fight a big boss.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I've done a decent amount of local multiplayer stuff with friends.

Overcooked / Overcooked 2
    Stardust Vanguards
    Inversus
    Jackbox Party Packs
    Lethal League / Lethal League Blaze
    Crawl
    Ultimate Chicken Horse
    Puyo Puyo Tetris
    Rivals of Aether
    Mount Your Friends
    Stick Fight: The Game
    Sonic Racing All-Stars Transformed

I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting or never played. Those are all good pick up and play type things that are good for parties. There's other stuff that's probably better for more longform couch multiplayer.
    Also good are fighting games, though those are 2 person. But you can swap out between matches.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Nine Parchments - in the same vein as Magicka or Helldivers. At it's base its a cute 3/4 scroller, but when someone pops down a fire well and you shoot a stream of water through it to combine into a steam hose, it shows a high level of coordination. Friendly fire is on by default and AOE heals include enemies! Add a bit of alcohol and this can get crazy silly in a big hurry!!

26904.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Towerfall! Defeat your friends in tense, brief, instra-glib archery matches. Team up in a kinda bubble-bobble co-op mode.

This is the Switch trailer, but it's also on literally everything else. Remember Ouya? It's there too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1-1EaXQ-f0

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Nine Parchments - in the same vein as Magicka or Helldivers. At it's base its a cute 3/4 scroller, but when someone pops down a fire well and you shoot a stream of water through it to combine into a steam hose, it shows a high level of coordination. Friendly fire is on by default and AOE heals include enemies! Add a bit of alcohol and this can get crazy silly in a big hurry!!

Not local co-op, but Magicka's always-on PVP and elemental combo system made for hilarious fun. Screaming at each other over voice, getting drunk, finally beating a hard section or boss. So fucking good

JtgVX0H.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

Not local co-op, but Magicka's always-on PVP and elemental combo system made for hilarious fun. Screaming at each other over voice, getting drunk, finally beating a hard section or boss. So fucking good

According to the Steam store page, Magicka has shared/split screen. Wouldn't that be local co-op with a little side accidental murderizing of your co-op partner?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    We have Magicka 2 on the PS4 and I'm almost certain that it has a shared screen multiplayer mode for couch co-op. I think we got about 60% through the whole game at one point.

Nine Parchments iterates on that formula and improves it in almost every way. It does lack the cartoony vibe in magicka, but the gameplay, controls, map design, character progression, etc is much improved!

26904.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

According to the Steam store page, Magicka has shared/split screen. Wouldn't that be local co-op with a little side accidental murderizing of your co-op partner?

Does it? I only ever played it online so I never realized! That's fuckin awesome then

JtgVX0H.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

FYI, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes does not require VR. You just have to position the team of "experts" in such a way that they can't see the "technician's" screen.

You can literally just rotate your couch 180 degrees (if that's convenient) or have somebody play on a laptop behind a dungeon master's screen.

It's even better on the Switch, because it's like you're holding the bomb, and touch screen.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Towerfall! Defeat your friends in tense, brief, instra-glib archery matches. Team up in a kinda bubble-bobble co-op mode.

This is the Switch trailer, but it's also on literally everything else. Remember Ouya? It's there too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1-1EaXQ-f0

I finally got to play TowerFall last year with some kids and it was a blast. Highly recommended.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Ultimate Chicken Horse is really good. You build a racetrack cooperatively with your opponents and then race for points. You keep adding stuff every round until someone hits max points and wins the match. You can make the level harder by adding stuff or easier by using bombs to blow stuff up but if its too easy and everyone finishes then no points are awarded.

It also has online.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I've played Magicka local coop, it totally works.

Great idea for a thread! I've got a group of friends that get together once or twice a month to play a bunch of local multiplayer games.

Jackbox are always great, given that people can use their phones as controllers.

Heave Ho is the new addition as was a huge hit. It depends on your controller situation, but you could go either Switch or PC on this. Highly recommend.

Cooperative Titles:
    Overcooked
    Broforce
    Gauntlet
    Risk of Rain
    River City Ransom
    Monaco
    Magicka/2
    Mother Russia Bleeds
    Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
    Double Dragon Neon
    Capcom Beat 'em Up Bundle

Competitive
    Mount Your Friends
    Gang Beasts
    Lethal League/2
    Duck Game
    Dive Kick
    Street Fighter IV/V
    Marvel vs Capcom 3
    Samurai Gunn
    Towerfall Ascension
    Badblood
    Nidhogg/2
    Laser League
    Sportsfriends
    Stardust Vanguards
    Stick Fight: The Game

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If turn-based games are something that could be of interest, there's also the Worms series. For me, the series peaked with Worms: Armageddon, but WMD might also be decent (haven't put much time into WMD, mind you).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Played Death Squared at a video game bar and it was loads of fun. 4 player puzzle game, lots of different mechanics, "accidently" killing your friends over and over.

https://youtu.be/FCOKAek1wB4

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    looks like a block pushing puzzle where you play as the boxes :rotate:

I've played through the Death Squared demo a few times and have actually picked up the full game now but never started it. I also just saw a trailer for a new game those devs have coming out that gives very Overcooked vibes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2maY2jMfXw
    Though apparently it was announced way back at the end of last year?

Heave Ho was a massive hit on Friday, can definitely recommend. We had 6-8 people passing controllers around and all had a blast, it really hits that sweet spot of difficulty where it's not frustrating but keeps you learning.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I think I played death squared at PAX, and I'm not sure how much I would trust the coordination of random split screen people to be able to complete the levels.
    But having a set co-op group should work.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Ooooh. Interesting thread. So, I'm going to tender a pretty unexpected suggestion--did you know that the technological masterpiece Gears 5, the latest entry in the series that metaphorically (and maybe literally) set the standard for all third person shooters going forward, has local multiplayer? Though to the best of my knowledge, it is entirely cooperative (the whole singleplayer experience can be played cooperatively with up to three people).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi8VBUDx2ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEE-qa_-Ow8

Synthesis on
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    My GF has really been liking our playthrough of gears 4 and 5. Not sure we should go back to the 360 games as they're harder, but any ideas for other fps that have couch co-op? She enjoys FPS, and has played overwatch and other games on xbox live. But to duo for those you need 2 tv's.

Also, other genres are also open. I love beat em ups, have castle crashers and guardian heroes (the saturn game not sure I got the name right) and she's ok with them. Anything that has a difficulty setting we can set individually is greatly appreciated. Love she can be on beginner in gears 5 and me on normal. Plus with a female lead, she just gets to be more than a bad ass. And I love that. Which reminds me. Games with female playable characters are a huge plus!

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Ooooh. Interesting thread. So, I'm going to tender a pretty unexpected suggestion--did you know that the technological masterpiece Gears 5, the latest entry in the series that metaphorically (and maybe literally) set the standard for all third person shooters going forward, has local multiplayer? Though to the best of my knowledge, it is entirely cooperative (the whole singleplayer experience can be played cooperatively with up to three people).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi8VBUDx2ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEE-qa_-Ow8

lol should have looked at the post above mine.

Highly recommend gears 5 especially if you have a gf who likes games. She gets to be the badass espeically if you let her open all the doors and such

There are a lot of great recommendations in this thread

I want to throw out one that is different from everything else so far: Divinity Original Sin 2

https://youtu.be/Onx9OW5W0zI

DOS2 is a crunchy, deep, turn-based, western fantasy RPG. If you've played Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights, you're on the right track.

In-person co-op is unusual for this genre, but DOS2 knocks it out of the park.

Each player takes primary control of one hero. When your heroes are together, you share a screen. When they're far apart, the screen splits and you can adventure independently.

https://youtu.be/kMHqguB7ihE

When your hero recruits a friendly NPC to your party, you get control of that NPC as well by default. You can pass control over to the other human if you want.

Combat is complex enough that both humans have plenty of think about. There are a lot of environmental effects, too. An enemy might spray poison everywhere, but your magic-user can summon a storm to rain the poison away. But be careful - you don't want to be standing in a puddle of water when you cast lightning. This isn't the gonzo chaos of Magicka; rather it's a system that rewards communication and creativity.

You can create custom characters, but the prebuilt ones are not only well-balanced, they each have a personal storyline and sidequests to complete.

Also, it controls great on either KBAM or gamepad.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Samurai Gunn 2 NEEDS to come out already.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    RickRude wrote: »
    My GF has really been liking our playthrough of gears 4 and 5. Not sure we should go back to the 360 games as they're harder, but any ideas for other fps that have couch co-op? She enjoys FPS, and has played overwatch and other games on xbox live. But to duo for those you need 2 tv's.

Quite a few options on Xbox 360 (the PS3 seemed to have fewer local co-op games? Or that's just my aging memory failing me). Every Halo game before 5 (and by extension, the whole of the Master Chief Collection), Left for Dead on different platforms, and Borderlands (the first two games, at least?). Resident Evil 5 was literally designed around a co-op shooting experience (though, like Gears of War it's third person and not actually very "scary") as is 6. Both have outstandingly fun Mercenaries modes if the campaigns don't interest you.

All of these Xbox 360 games are playable on Xbox One, either through BC or re-release, retaining the local co-op.

Plus, there's always Metal Slug.

Synthesis on
    edited October 2019
    I thought I had already come back and said that Heave Ho was great, but I've now put more time into it, with a couple of different groups and also playing solo or with my wife, and it's even better than that. There's a good few hours of content there great for new players / non-gamers, but the levels we're getting up to now we've decided probably have to wait until we just have the better players of our regular group around because they are properly hard.

McFodder on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Bomberman, any will do

Also, if you can find enough people, Killer Queen Black is coming out this month on consoles and PC. A two Switch match is the easiest to pull off, but it requires eight people.

YL9WnCY.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I'd put a slight caveat on Divinity Original Sin 2 in that, if it's anything like the first (which has similar local co-op, by the way), the difficulty is very unforgiving. It is not something I'd recommend to a more casual gamer.

If you both can handle it though, it's a great choice.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Bomberman, any will do

Also, if you can find enough people, Killer Queen Black is coming out this month on consoles and PC. A two Switch match is the easiest to pull off, but it requires eight people.

My favourite Bomberman for Vs is still Bomberman 64, I have a lot of fond after school memories of that game.

Excited for KQB, I’ve heard it get hyped up for a long time.

Our regular group is 4-6ish though, not 8. I assume it will still support that okay.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Oh! Diablo III is a very good for good local co-op. Although I hope that the inevitable sequel will let people manage their inventory on their cell phones, Jackbox style. It's a little bit of a drag waiting for your turn to sell and craft in town.

Has anyone played 'Think of the Children'? Just saw that it's out cheap on Switch at the moment, but is also on other platforms. Looks kinda Overcooked-ish from the trailer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSEY-6Tmzgo

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    My favorite kind of co-op games are asymmetric, where the players have different roles, like with Keep Talking.
    This goes all the way back to when I first played Gyromite on NES with a friend, and it blew my mind that one player controlled the guy, and the other controlled the level.

steam_sig.png
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Big fan of local co-op since it lets me play with my 9yo son. In addition to the ones mentioned here I will add:

Borderlands series. All 4 games support local split screen, with the caveat that 3 runs like complete ass at the moment until they get a patch out. I mean like holy shit who let the college senior thesis project stand in for an actual gameplay mode garbage.

Super dungeon Bros. In the same vein as Castle Crashers, simple but fun.

Marvel ultimate alliance 1 and 2. Haven't played 3 so I can't vouch for it but those two are a blast to play and with the current gen releases are not quite so ugly.

Dead island series. Bit of a mixed bag here as the developers are kind of shitheads, but the games are still fun in my opinion. Going to need an older crowd for these as you murder your way through the population of a small city in zombies.

Earth defense force 4.1 and 5. These 2 are available on current hardware and are good mindless fun. You play as a dude or dudette tasked with protecting the Earth from invading aliens who are mostly just giant Earth insects.

Gauntlet Slayer edition. This a throwback to one of the original multiplayer hack and slash games. You and your friends do your best to cut your way through hordes of evil nasties.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Rocket League is the game I finally bought a second controller for
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC82dWrFqCE

Versus or co-op, always a good time, and you'll go from smugly watching a replay of your half-court backwards goal to being ridiculed for bouncing the ball backwards into your own net in the span of thirty seconds

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Feels bad bumping this thread when a lot of the world can't have friends over to play games, but I'mma do it anyway.

Picked up Boomerang Fu for the Switch on the weekend and that's a fun time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6PXlvEtNKc
    Up to 6 players on one Switch (we had 4), cute and chaotic slaughter for everyone. Each round is generally over pretty quick so if you get killed quickly it doesn't matter, winner is first to a certain number of kills over however many rounds it takes. Only 3 buttons and the control stick so easy to learn but a suprising amount of depth there, especially once you start getting combinations of powerups - but also random since you don't know what the powerup is until you pick it up.

Highly recommend!

• Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    I have longed for a game that gave me the awesome feeling of Baldurs Gate dark alliance for couch co op on my Xbox.

There’s been a few the last couple months on game pass, so here they are

Android Cactus
    Neon Chrome
    Darksiders Genesis
    Gears 5 Horde/Escape
    Castle Crashers (as mentioned above)

For party games, Marooners is fun for all ages and reminds me of a favorite Dreamcast game I can’t remember the name of. Maybe Ooga Booga?