As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Live feed of the Chandrayaan 2 landing https://youtu.be/2srV-bEi_DU

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Live feed of the Chandrayaan 2 landing https://youtu.be/2srV-bEi_DU

Thanks, I was just searching for this! Believe landing is expected between 45 minutes from now and two hours from now, but I haven’t gotten the most up to date info.

Edit: Watching a moon landing be explained in Hindi while I battle a fever is proving to be a very pleasantly surreal experience.

OneAngryPossum on
    Update: About 30 minutes out from touch down.

edited September 2019
    Sorry for the multi posts, but descent is starting in the next few minutes.

Edit: In progress! Ten minutes of braking starting now to reduce velocity.

OneAngryPossum on
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Seeing that big EARTH COMMUNICATION: OFF is nerve racking at this point when it should have touched down.

Edit: I don't like the mood in the room.

Handkor on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Yeah, a bad sign that telemetry ended right at final descent braking. So probably more of a rapid unscheduled disassembly than lithobraking.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    edited September 2019
    Handkor wrote: »
    Seeing that big EARTH COMMUNICATION: OFF is nerve racking at this point when it should have touched down.

Edit: I don't like the mood in the room.

Official announcement on whatever is going on should be soon. I caught something about receiving SSR data, but that doesn’t mean anything to me.

Edit: Possible theories just put out we’re that either the lander decided the first site wasn’t good enough and deviated to assess the second potential landing site, or a failure of some sort in the final period of deceleration.

Edit: Just stated that descent was as planned down to 2.1 kilometers altitude, then communication was lost. “Data is being analyzed.”

OneAngryPossum on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Loss of signal at 2.1km altitude. :(

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Flight director says they lost comms at roughly 2km but everything was within targets until then.

Hopefully just comms problems but unlikely. Still on the brighter side it's closer than the previous attempt by Israel, I think they got to about 10k before losing?

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    landing on the moon: still fkin hard

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Maybe they kerbaled it and it landed then tipped over onto its dish.

I hope one of the lunar orbitor will be able to send back photos of their landing site.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Go home, YouTube captions; you're drunk.

htd0aicp6ud5.png
    Yeah, I know it's just trying to grab English phonemes from probably-Hindi language.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i’m gonna have to remember “soft landing your mom” though

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Seeing some reports on the twitters that the lander has been found and might have completed the descent? Nothing on any verified accounts (not that that counts for too much) or on the mission log yet though

https://www.isro.gov.in/chandrayaan2-latest-updates

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/11/water-vapor-exoplanet-rocky-core/

Water vapor has been discovered in the atmosphere of a rocky exoplanet in the habitable zone of it's host star. The finding isn't yet peer reviewed, but this would be the first time water has been detected on a potentially habitable exoplanet. Don't get too excited though, they estimate the atmospheric pressure at the planet's surface would crush a puny, fleshy human. That doesn't mean other things couldn't live there, though.

We are inching ever-closer to finding Earth 2.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Just like Teddy Roosevelt would have wanted. Another planet with things to fight.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Even though I've known about how it's done for a few years now, it still marvels me how much information we can glean about an object from dissecting its spectra.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Just like Teddy Roosevelt would have wanted. Another planet with things to fight.

Hopefully the pressure situation means they will be worthy opponents.

Just not too worthy. None of this "fair fight" nonsense.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    fmtwWUX.jpg

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Teddy Roosevelt was nuts, he'd probably demand to be dropped onto the planet with his horse even after numerous crushed egg demonstrations of what the pressure would do to him.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Teddy Roosevelt was nuts, he'd probably demand to be dropped onto the planet with his horse even after numerous crushed egg demonstrations of what the pressure would do to him.

"Well there's your problem, you're using EGGS when you should be using a MAN! With a HORSE!"

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Article about the NASA study of mark Kelly and his twin brother after a year in space.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/04/what-happens-human-body-space/586966/

Scott Kelly retired from NASA in 2016, about a month after he returned to Earth and his body began to adjust. For some time, his legs felt jiggly, his joints ached, and his skin burned, unused to the touch of fabric, hugged close to him by gravity. Space, he said back then, had been disorienting. “Even after I’ve been here nearly a year, you don’t feel perfectly normal,” he said. “There’s always a lingering something you feel. It’s not necessarily uncomfortable, but it is a harsh environment.”

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    We really need to get a spinning ring habitat up and running. Before we go anywhere we're going to need one. Best to start testing now.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Has NASA or anyone else partnered with the ISS looked into constructing a spin gravity habitat for the ISS?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Has NASA or anyone else partnered with the ISS looked into constructing a spin gravity habitat for the ISS?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifuge_Accommodations_Module
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautilus-X

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    It is prohibitively expensive to get enough materials in space to make a large enough spinning habitat. I think you'd need more than the entire ISS and MIR combined.

Hopefully SpaceX will finally take launch costs out of the reasons not to do it.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifuge_Accommodations_Module
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautilus-X

The CFM wasn't for people (if a person got inside their head would be pulled in the opposite direction as their feet) but for experiment samples so control sets could be on the station and not the ground, eliminating any other environmental variables.

edited September 2019
    Oh, I know. I just thought it was the closest example to what @Lanz was asking about, since a mock-up/prototype was actually built, just never flown. :)

Speaking of moonshot projects:
    A Lunar Space Elevator Is Actually Feasible & [relatively] Inexpensive, Scientists Find.
    Perhaps the biggest hurdle to mankind’s expansion throughout the Solar System is the prohibitive
    cost of escaping Earth’s gravitational pull. In its many forms the space elevator provides a way
    to circumvent this cost, allowing payloads to traverse along a cable extending from Earth to orbit.
    However, modern materials are not strong enough to build a cable capable of supporting its own
    weight. In this work we present an alternative to the classic space elevator, within reach of modern
    technology: The Spaceline. By extending a line, anchored on the moon, to deep within Earth’s gravity
    well, we can construct a stable, traversable cable allowing free movement from the vicinity of Earth
    to the Moon’s surface. With current materials, it is feasible to build a cable extending to close to
    the height of geostationary orbit, allowing easy traversal and construction between the Earth and the
    Moon.

Zilla360 on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Well, that's an angle I'd never thought of.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yeah, but I question its actual utility - once you're in orbit, the rest is easy.
    The whole point of an (Earth) surface to orbit elevator is to get past the hard part. Which, no surprise, is hard no matter how you do it.

It would significantly cut fuel costs of reaching the moon.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Yes but we could take the materials for construction from the moon. Then we only have to get initial tooling to the moon.

wbBv3fj.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    What happens when the commies come for our moon ropes?

The most fucking epic swashbuckling documentaries in the history of the human race.

• schussschuss Registered User regular

The most fucking epic swashbuckling documentaries in the history of the human race.

This summer.....
    Defend....the LINE

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Presumably it saves a lot of energy as the difference in energy requirements for LEO and translunar travel is a lot. So you'd use LEO capable rockets/the space line to transport much larger payloads way higher up the gravity well

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Solar wrote: »
    Presumably it saves a lot of energy as the difference in energy requirements for LEO and translunar travel is a lot. So you'd use LEO capable rockets/the space line to transport much larger payloads way higher up the gravity well

It's about 14 km/s of delta V to go from the ground to GEO. It's another 4 km/s of delta V to go from GEO to the moons surface.

An elevator to go from GEO to the Moon would save energy, yes, but it's not a whole lot compared to what could be saved by taking an elevator from earth's surface to GEO.

Edit: Not to mention it is A LOT easier to gain V in space as compared to in atmosphere

Veevee on
    Veevee wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

It's about 14 km/s of delta V to go from the ground to GEO. It's another 4 km/s of delta V to go from GEO to the moons surface.

An elevator to go from GEO to the Moon would save energy, yes, but it's not a whole lot compared to what could be saved by taking an elevator from earth's surface to GEO.

Edit: Not to mention it is A LOT easier to gain V in space as compared to in atmosphere

Sure, but how much harder is it to build GEO -> lunar elevator than a surface -> GEO one?

Also, going from 18km/s total required to 14km/s is a significant reduction.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Yeah, even if the first couple hundred kilometers away from Florida are the roughest part, taking an axe to delta-V budgets anywhere else along the route is still savings.

Also remember you're not just lowering to-the-moon costs, you're lowering costs on the way back up as well. If travel between the moon and GEO is 'free' or close to it, you're getting into the realm of pretty significant savings on any kind of round trips.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    And the moon is a much better target for asteroid drops too; lithobrake your target on the dark side, mine it there with the convenience of gravity, but not too much, ship it to the light side and Earth is much, much closer if there’s an elevator waiting for you.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
This discussion has been closed.