As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cleaning the nastiest thing ever

EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys.

I just got back to my apartment from Thanksgiving break to make a spectacular discovery.

Basically, prior to our break, one of my apartment-mates must have made some form of food and subsequently left the remains in the sink. As far as I can tell, it looks to be some form of noodles + vegetables - at least, I think it used to be, as one of my apartment mates eats some pretty rank indian food. Some form of carbon dating might be more accurate, but I'm going to have to go by just a quick survey.

Anyway, this stuff, having been left in this sink for an ungodly amount of time, seems to be evolving. I walked into my apartment and into the kitchen to be treated to a smell very much approaching a vomit and diarrhea smoothie. I pretty much threw up from the smell from about ten feet away, and beat a hasty retreat out of there.

From what I saw, the food remnants have turned into some kind of white filmy thing that has basically coated everything that was left in the sink, including one of my pans which my apartment mates seem to have helped himself to. I'm considering pretty much everything in the sink a total loss - there's no way I'm ever cooking or eating out of anything in there ever again - but my problem is that I can't clean the thing up because it's the most unsanitary and overpowering thing I've ever had to go near.

Why do I have to clean it up, you ask?

For lack of a better answer, it's being pinned on me. Even though I don't do any cooking of my own this semester, my pan is the one in the sink, which leads the other two of my apartment mates to believe it was my doing to leave that rank stuff behind. The guy who eats indian food simply categorically denies ever having left the food behind, even though I am 100% sure it was him. And nothing's getting cleaned up.

I've resolved to suck it up and clean this thing, but I have no idea how to even approach it without dying. If I put it off much longer, it may evolve to the point where it becomes predatory, and I don't want to deal with that.

I am very ill-equipped for this job. I can't even find a decent pair of gloves. The best I've been able to do so far is run in there behind a smokescreen of lysol while holding my breath, turn the water on hot, and squeeze some dish detergent out in the hopes that it might soap up and dissolve some of the stuff that would wash down the drain, and run back out. If I had drano, I'd probably just fill the sink with it and wash it down, and then throw everything in there out, but I don't.

What should I do?

tl;dr - Are you a bad enough dude to help me combat biological terrorism?

Ein on

• Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The drano thing sounds like a good start, Id say go get some, get some like ajax or somethin, a painting mask, and some nice rubber gloves, and a small symbol of your faith incase this thing should rise and assault you.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    TheungryTheungry Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    All you need is a gallon of vinegar and steel wool.

Open the vinegar and hold under your nose to combat the smell until you can get close enough to dump the vinegar onto the nastiness. Once the vinegar is in the air, it should cut the smell reasonably well anyway and it will kill whatever's growing, and the smell will fade pretty quickly once you're done cleaning. And its not any kind of harsh chemical that will give you cancer. And its cheap as can be.

Elbow grease that shit away and wash your hands thoroughly.

punch your roommate in the junk.

Theungry on
    Unfortunately, western cultures frown upon arranged marriages, so the vast majority of people have to take risks in order to get into relationships.
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Quit being a pussy and make whoever made the mess clean it up. If you fold now, all you're doing is letting them know that you'll fold again and again in the future.

Or scoop the food/mold into a garbage bag and throw it away immediately, while letting the sink and pan soak in a mixture of the hottest water you can afford and some dish soap for a while to break up the remainder.

Einhander on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, I actually wouldn't get just regular rubber gloves. I'd get some disposable mechanics gloves from an auto-parts/hardware store--they're just rubber gloves, but really, really thick, with a band at the opening. Get a long sleeved shirt, and tuck in the shirt to the gloves. (This shirt may have to get pitched.) And a painters mask, possibly a non-disposable one, would go a long way towards helping. Hell, I think I'd get a pair of safety goggles just in case. :P

But yeah, you're going to have to chip away at it. I would actually get a garbage pail emptied and nearby, on the horrible chance that the sink backs up.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Einhander wrote:
    Quit being a pussy and make whoever made the mess clean it up. If you fold now, all you're doing is letting them know that you'll fold again and again in the future.
    If his roommates are anything like my old roommates, they'll just stop using the kitchen for a while until he does something like this. People can be real savages when it comes to this sort of thing.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    holycrapawalrusholycrapawalrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I live with two people who are very lazy when it comes to keeping the kitchen clean, so I have one good tip that sounds odd but works for me.

When I can't handle the smell of something rotting in the kitchen sink, I take a Kleenex, rip it in half, soak both pieces in my cologne and shove them up my nostrils. This gives me a good 10 minutes of pleasant smells before I have to run from the kitchen. Just do this twice an hour until the mess is gone. Like I said, it sounds weird, but it works for me.

Oh yeah, it burns pretty bad the first time. Just a warning.

holycrapawalrus on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Oh yeah, it burns pretty bad the first time. Just a warning.

That's probably the alcohol.

Whatever you do, make it clear to your roomates that leaving a mess on that scale in the kitchen in the future will not be acceptable, or else they'll just do it again.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    As a former apprentice plumber, I say no fucking drano.

It won't work and it's terrible for the pipes.

You have two options: get whoever made the shit to clean it up (honestly, this is not your responsiblity--you did not make that mess, so you need to absolve yourself). Or suck it up and get scrubbing. You do not need rubber gloves, you do not need some kind of industrial-strength cleanser--fucking Dawn and a sponge will get this clean. If there's a lot of it left over, then scrape it out into a garbage sack.

If the smell really bothers you that much, then open a window. Get some of that Lysol Air Freshener aerosol and spray it around. You will have to deal with some unpleasantness, but the sooner you get it done the sooner it will be over.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This is crazy. Am I reading this right? One of your roommates did this and is now lying straight to your face, and you're just going to go ahead and clean this mess that you didn't make. What the hell? And not only that, he took your pan and messed it up like that. Sounds like you live with a real winner.

Ohio on
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you have a Home Depot close by, they sell rubber gauntlets that are great for this kind of thing. They're black, go up to your elbows, are thick and chemical-resistant.

I second the "no Drano" comment, for the same reasons as Makershot.

Put on the gloves, hold your breath, run into the kitchen, throw everything into a heavy garbage bag (like the kind for leaves), and seal it. Then put that in another garbage bag and seal that. Now you should be able to take the double-bagged thing to the dumpster pretty easily.

And no, this isn't the nastiest thing ever. When I ran the network at a student newspaper years ago, someone had literally masturbated on one of the computers one morning. It was discovered when one of the staffers picked up something next to it and got jizz on her hand.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ohio wrote:
    This is crazy. Am I reading this right? One of your roommates did this and is now lying straight to your face, and you're just going to go ahead and clean this mess that you didn't make. What the hell? And not only that, he took your pan and messed it up like that. Sounds like you live with a real winner.

Fuck it, just get a bag, and dump all the shit into it.

Put it on the offending room-mate's bed.

That'll teach him.

I've done it to my siblings whenever they've left huge messes around the house. I've cleaned it up, stuffed it into a bag and dropped it off onto their bed. I got my point across, they don't mess up the kitchen, or elsewhere, anymore.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ohio wrote:

That'll teach him.

I've done it to my siblings whenever they've left huge messes around the house. I've cleaned it up, stuffed it into a bag and dropped it off onto their bed. I got my point across, they don't mess up the kitchen, or elsewhere, anymore.

Seriously man. Get some gloves & shit, hold your breath, and pick the shit up. Put it in the guy's room.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    EggyToast wrote:
    Ohio wrote:

That'll teach him.

Seriously man. Get some gloves & shit, hold your breath, and pick the shit up. Put it in the guy's room.

I was going to say this, but it's the OP's pan and so this wouldn't do him any good. His roommate is likely to say screw it, and then the dude never gets his pan back. That's what makes this situation really crappy - roommate took his pan and messed it up.

Ohio on
  • Options
    AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ohio wrote:
    EggyToast wrote:
    Ohio wrote:

That'll teach him.

I was going to say this, but it's the OP's pan and so this wouldn't do him any good. His roommate is likely to say screw it, and then the dude never gets his pan back. That's what makes this situation really crappy - roommate took his pan and messed it up.

He mentioned that at this point, the pan's forfeit regardless.

Andorien on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dust mask (like the kind you use during demolition work), spray some perfume on it.

Rubber Gauntlets.

Heavy plastic bags.

or

Fire. Lots and lots of Fire.*

*not recommended if you need to continue living in the residence.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Ruckus wrote:

Fire. Lots and lots of Fire.*

*not recommended if you need to continue living in the residence.

That sounds like something from the bizaro version of this thread in SE++

ANYWAY

If the pan is an issue, clean it. Keep it.
    If not, proceed as I previously mentioned.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Google Image SearchGoogle Image Search Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I gotta go with making the guy who left it clean it. Bring it up in front of your other roommates, bring up that you've never cooked this semester, he does frequently, all that jazz.

Also, take some pictures.

Google Image Search on
    GalfordSig.gif
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Fill the sink with water, and a cap of this:
    Mr_Clean_Multi-Purpose_Cleaner_in_Ultimate_Orange-resized200.jpg

Soak.
    That stuff breaks down anything.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    TyrantCow wrote:
    Fill the sink with water, and a cap of this:
    Mr_Clean_Multi-Purpose_Cleaner_in_Ultimate_Orange-resized200.jpg

Soak.
    That stuff breaks down anything.

I bet it would have helped with the berlin wall.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Andorien wrote:
    Ohio wrote:
    EggyToast wrote:
    Ohio wrote:

That'll teach him.

He mentioned that at this point, the pan's forfeit regardless.

i would go so far as to put it all in a bag then dump the bag out on the roommates bed.

also, pics of this abomination?

Gotcha Force on
  • Options
    JamesblondeJamesblonde Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    How to Clean a sink: (from cleaning.com)

Cover sink with paper towels nad saturate in bleach.
    Let stand for 30 minutes.

Rinse with cool water.

Pour 1 cup of salt and 1 cup of baking soda down the drain.

Then pour boiling water

Never tried it, it sounds cool.

60a5bd9f-348c-46c9-9ca6-0cd3e850b7f9.gif

Jamesblonde on
  • Options
    crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ^ don't use bleach!!

Spray some whatever good smelling stuff on a bandanna and put that over your face cowboy style first of all. If that shit in the pan is soft still, get a bag and pick it out like dog poop. (if it's hard, but in a no stick pan, a bit of nudging with a butter knife or something should get it out fairly quickly)

Fill up the sink with straight hot water, soap and some vinegar if you have it and let it all soak. Refill it later even if you like. By the time it's finished soaking, most of the smell should be gone. Let out the water (leave the strainer to catch the crap) line your hand with another bag if you're still squeemish and clean out the bits. Refill and wash dishes as per normal. Give the sink a good wipe down too.

One more layer of lysol and you should be good to go.

Alternately, you can just throw out the whole thing and start over. Just soak the sink as per instructions above and it'll be good to go.

crake on
  • Options
    budecbudec Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    turn water as hot as it'll go.

When it's super hot, plug sink.

Dump in half a container of bleach and a 1/4 of container of ammonia.

Keep water running till sink is full.

turn on fan and open windows.

Let sit for a day or so.

Un plug.

budec on
    ninjasig.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    budec wrote:

Let sit for a day or so.

Un plug.

Don't, uh, don't do what he said. Unless you're going to be wearing an oxygen mask and want to kill everyone else in the building. Which I guess might hold true in your case, but still. Don't do it.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    budec wrote:

Maybe not such a good idea, what with the potential ammonium chloride gas and all. D:

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Do not mix bleach and ammonia. The gas it gives off is a potentially deadly toxin.

edit: amazing how slow I am to react sometimes. It bears being repeated at least a couple more times.

A long time ago, a guy I was working with on a closing shift at a restaurant thought he'd be smart and mix up some bleach with other cleaners to help clean the grout in the tile floors. Everything was going fine until he put in the drain cleaner. We had to evacuate the whole place and air it out for a day. Stupid fucker...

stigweard on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    budec wrote:

Let sit for a day or so.

Un plug.

Are you trying to kill this man?! That's it, your internet card is revoked mister.

Also: - I had a roommate who was lazy in the extreme. His frequent messes in the kitchen were often vomit inducing. Simple Orange, Febreeze, and thick rubber gloves were my best allies. Breathing through the mouth also helps.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    budec wrote:

Let sit for a day or so.

Un plug.
    No.

Azio on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006
    :lol:

Bleach and ammonia. Nice.

Seriously, the folks saying you don't need anything special are correct. Soap and water will clean this adequately, including your pan. Your sink is not made of cloth, it will not irrevocably absorb odors and nastiness. It's porcelin or steel, and both will clean easily. Fill the sink with hot water, pour in some soap, let it sit. After 30 minutes, scrape the shit down the sink, run the garbage disposal, and scrub. It'll almost certainly come off.

If the sink is stained, fill it with hot water and maybe 1/4 cup of bleach. If it's stinky, do hot water and Pine-Sol. If there's really still crap caked to the sink, use cleanser.

This is all assuming that you're a goddamned pussy and don't kidney punch your fuckwad roommate until he agrees to clean up his own damned mess.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Seriously, don't mix bleach and ammonia. It can kill you.

Budec, you're taking a couple days off for that one.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I use bleach and ammonia all the time. It has a nasty smell and makes my eyes water, but other then that it disinfects really well.

I suggested opening a window.

Are they really toxic when mixed together? I know your not supose to breathing either of them in (even if used alone) - but is it really that dangerous?

btw, bleach and ammonia can clean about anything.

budec on
    ninjasig.jpg
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Poisonous gasses of highly killing nature. Best not to make those.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    budec wrote:
    I use bleach and ammonia all the time. It has a nasty smell and makes my eyes water, but other then that it disinfects really well.

I suggested opening a window.

Are they really toxic when mixed together? I know your not supose to breathing either of them in (even if used alone) - but is it really that dangerous?

btw, bleach and ammonia can clean about anything.

There was a kid on my street growing up who was playing around with chemicals in his garage. He mixed bleach and ammonia and died within an hour from fume inhalation. So to answer your question, yes. It really is that dangerous.

holycrapawalrus on
  • Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Budec, I hope you are joking

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A795611

Often, one looks at a bottle of bleach and wonders, 'Why shouldn't this be mixed with ammonia?' If you know how dangerous chlorine gas is to humans (it was used as a chemical weapon during World War I and later by Nazi Germany in World War II), this will be very apparent. This entry will tell of a few reactions that can occur when bleach and ammonia are mixed in various proportions - the release of chlorine gas is just one of these. In the following sections, the header will be the name of the most dangerous compound produced in the reaction shown. Please, do not try any of this at home.
    The Pain! The Pain!

To understand the effects chlorine gas has on the body, we first need to understand the chemical properties of chlorine, particularly its valence, or number of chemical bonds chlorine can form. Chlorine is in the seventh of the traditional groups of elements, one before the group of inert gases, which, as their name suggests, are almost completely unreactive. Chlorine has seven electrons in its outer electron shell.

The Octet Rule states that all elements try to fill in their outer electron shell until they have eight electrons. When a chemical has eight electrons in its outer shell, it is then stable. Being so close to having 8 electrons in its outer shell, chlorine is quite desperate to get that one last electron - and will literally rip other atoms apart to do so. This is what happens to your respiratory system when you inhale chlorine gas. The gas tears into your nasal passages, trachea, and lungs by causing massive cellular damage. Obviously, chlorine gas causes a very painful death.

read linky for more gasious death goodness

@OP: I suggest hot water and ultra concentrated dish soap. Other than that, to combat the smell, the vinegar idea mentioned above is good, If you can't stand that, rag + lovelysmells over the nose ftw

X5 on
    TheX5.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    :shock:

I should probably stop doing that.

Or go to vegas, cause I'm one lucky son of a bitch.

um. So are they safe to use alone... can I still clean with just bleach as long as I got a window open?

budec on
    ninjasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    That should probably be okay, just keep the area ventilated and for the love of God, stop mixing shit. That's why cleaning product companies exist.

holycrapawalrus on