As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who is the best Ryu in video games?

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Ryu Streetfighter
    A Ryu needs to be easy to pick up and Jin is one of the hardest execution characters

I might honestly call Asuka the the Ryu of Tekken at this point

I did consider that, but I wasn't sure about picking a Ryu that joined 6 games into the series (if you count TTT)

Who would be the Ryu of the first bunch of games? Trying to think of anyone who is both "main protagonist" or at least central to the story and also easy for newcomers. I don't know if Kazuya is all that much easier than Jin.

I think it might be Paul? He definitely fits the "normal guy who just martial arts well" dynamic, but there isn't really anyone else who fights like him

King/Armor King definitely have the Ryu/Ken dynamic on lockdown

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Ryu Breathoffire
    All I know about Tekken is that there's an evil old guy and a panda and some guy who got into a teleporter with a jaguar

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Ryu Streetfighter
    Platy wrote: »
    All I know about Tekken is that there's an evil old guy and a panda and some guy who got into a teleporter with a jaguar

it's a wrestling mask! except of course when it clearly isn't, but even then it still is just a mask

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Ryu Streetfighter
    Only difference between hayabusa and sf Ryu is a izuna drop

icGJy2C.png
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Ryu Hayabusa
    I'm pretty sure the Ryu of Tekken is Akuma

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Ryu Streetfighter
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    A Ryu needs to be easy to pick up and Jin is one of the hardest execution characters

I might honestly call Asuka the the Ryu of Tekken at this point

I did consider that, but I wasn't sure about picking a Ryu that joined 6 games into the series (if you count TTT)

Who would be the Ryu of the first bunch of games? Trying to think of anyone who is both "main protagonist" or at least central to the story and also easy for newcomers. I don't know if Kazuya is all that much easier than Jin.

I think it might be Paul? He definitely fits the "normal guy who just martial arts well" dynamic, but there isn't really anyone else who fights like him

King/Armor King definitely have the Ryu/Ken dynamic on lockdown

Paul seems right to me, very easy to pick up and play and just kind of a lovable goofus

Law is the other one I would consider

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Ryu Breathoffire
    There are 5 Breaths of Fire Ryus, three Ninjas Gaiden, and only one Street Fighter. The dragons win by numbers!

Also: they're dragons

sig.gif
    Ryu Streetfighter
    There are two street fighter ryus, maybe three

Ryu Breathoffire
    hmm

sig.gif
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Ryu Streetfighter
    The clearest example of a Ryu in Tekken is Tekken 6 Lars.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    bcc3ied50t9x.png

The game with most Ryus
    I guess most of these folks just kinda just became normal working civilians like every club members after their school life

Peas on
    Ryu Streetfighter
    SimBen wrote: »
    hmm

Ryu, Evil Ryu and Kage

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I recently learned at the guy that played Ryu in the Raul Julia street fighter movie was in a scene The Big Short with Steve Carroll which just.....*booooosh*

RoyceSraphim on
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Ryu Streetfighter
    How quickly can the other Ryus totally destroy a car

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Ryu Breathoffire
    Ryu is a Link from the Legend of Zelda series situation. Technically all different people who fill the same archetype vaguely in the same world. All of them can turn into dragons that trivialize combat. It’s a series that tends to be on the easy side other than 2, which has some experience curve issues

VRXwDW7.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I recently learned at the guy that played Ryu in the Raul Julia street fighter movie was in a scene The Big Short with Steve Carroll which just.....*booooosh*

oh my god he's the shitty CDO manager, holy shit

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah I said "main character" for the Ryu of the game, but usually that's just because the poster character for the game tends to lean toward being very basic in terms of execution, which is the more important factor in being the Ryu of the game.

A Ryu is a character that embodies the basic mechanics of the game.

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Tekken didn't get a Ryu until Shaheen and Kazumi. Katarina is Ken.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Ryu Hayabusa

you should look up what the guy who played ken has been up to

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Ryu Hayabusa
    Sophitia is 100% the Ryu of Soul Calibur.

As an added bonus she even has a Ken in Cassandra

Ryu Hayabusa
    who is the ryu

of this thread

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Ryu Hayabusa
    Also Tekken’s Ryu was originally KAZUYA think about that.

Ryu Hayabusa
    who is the ryu

of this thread

You’re not Ryu if you’re wondering.

You’re Zack from Dead or Alive.

The loveable goof whose wishes somehow inexplicably come true for no reason.

edited September 2019
    Ryu Hayabusa
    Tube is 100% Akuma

Edit: Fuckin whoops.

Transporter on
    Ryu Streetfighter
    who is the ryu

of this thread

Etchwarts, I think

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Ryu Hayabusa
    Ninjas are fucking rad.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    Ryu Breathoffire
    I don't think there's a way to call anyone "the Ryu of real life" without it sounding extremely insulting?

sig.gif
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    calling someone the ryu of real life is like calling them a basic bitch with an utmost and sincere respect

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Wow I can't believe Theodore Floosevelt stole AJ's signature, what a biter.

Ryu Breathoffire
    Okay I was gonna ask what's up with that

sig.gif
    Ryu Streetfighter
    What’s a signature?

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Ryo Hazuki is all standing outside this thread with his face pressed up against the window, the rain hiding his tears.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Ryu Hayabusa
    If we let in Ryo we have to let in Roy.

PNk1Ml4.png
    Ryu Streetfighter
    who is the ryu

of this thread

Etchwarts, I think
    calling someone the ryu of real life is like calling them a basic bitch with an utmost and sincere respect

I'm honored

Mods, change my name to The Ryu of This Thread

Ryu Hayabusa
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Wow I can't believe Theodore Floosevelt stole AJ's signature, what a biter.

mitch you s.o.b.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Ryu Streetfighter
    Although now I'm paranoid

Why am I the Ryu

Are you roasting me, @WeedLordVegeta

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Ryu Hayabusa
    you gotta stop thinking like that, that's how you become the Dan of this thread.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    Ryu Hayabusa
    who is the ryu

of this thread

You’re not Ryu if you’re wondering.

You’re Zack from Dead or Alive.

The loveable goof whose wishes somehow inexplicably come true for no reason.

the reason is i deserve it!!!!

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Ryu Hayabusa
    Which fighting game character am I

PNk1Ml4.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Ryo Sakazaki is weird because he's Ryu, but he's not the Ryu of KoF

Maddoc on