As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I superset everything with a 500 meter row today. 6 rounds of alternating KB presses and 3 rounds of chin ups and pushups. It was very much needed.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    I was watching the Dave Tate & Nate Harvey table talk today, and first, it’s great. I’ve never met Nate Harvey but I’ve read his articles and am familiar with his time as a S&C coach at Buffalo. I’ve met a few folks that have worked under him or with him. His book ConjugateU is a solid book, seriously helped me understand Conjugate more than Louie’s ramblings ever did. Also his Shit Sport Coaches Say series keeps me sane.

Anyway, he described an exercise he called a low back crunch as holding a medball against your abs and you RDL down and then arch your back up slightly then return to neutral. I went and tried it for about twenty reps with a twelve pound med ball and induced a solid low back pump, I think I’m going to implement it tomorrow before I lift.

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Built my own version of kbox (flywheel inertia trainer) this weekend

My legs haven't hurt like this in awhile plus only spent ~$120 compared to $1800

I'm calling it the okbox

• Options
    40 minute lift, low back is lit

2x20 low back crunches w 20# mb, 2x15 cable crunches, 2x20x24kg kB swing

Then box squats (was using 14” height)5x70/3x120/3x140/2x160/2x2x180/2x2x190

Seated sumo deadlifts (never done them, think they’re pretty silly)
    5x70/5x110/5x140

RDLs 3x5x110 with 10 shrugs at the end of each.

• Options
    Ah, was pretty lazy today but after I got home from work I got going in the garage

Warmed up with some cable facepulls and Barbell curls, then hit some fat grip DB bench superset with upright rows, then did Swiss bar curls and skull crushers and finished off with some neck harness work

I at least did a decent amount of volume but didn’t really push anything too terribly hard. Skull crushers still feel like somebody jammed a needle in my elbow.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    this elbow tendinitis needs to back off

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Tried to play around with exercise order on my tricep work. Doing skull crushers last doesn't make it feel like someone is jamming a needle in my elbow, but it did darn near feel like someone almost dropped an inch and a half needle on my forehead.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Hi folks i have been trying to do chinups and pull ups for a couple of months now, although progress for the chinsups have been slow i can do like 3 (from 0) with no assist, while i have been making absolutely no headway with my pullups (0)

Without going to the gym do you folks have any good excercise which i can do without any equipment to train my back muscles

• Options
    If you haven’t hit yourself in the head with lifting implements, you may be smarter than me.

Mr. Buttons I have found the “JM press” to be effective and or a “California Press”

JM Press you can look up on YouTube. I picked the California Press up from a throws coach, but basically just an eccentric skull crusher then bring it down to your chest for a close grip bench.

Still happy I can do pushdowns and dips with no issue.

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    Hi folks i have been trying to do chinups and pull ups for a couple of months now, although progress for the chinsups have been slow i can do like 3 (from 0) with no assist, while i have been making absolutely no headway with my pullups (0)

Without going to the gym do you folks have any good excercise which i can do without any equipment to train my back muscles

Banded pullups

Pullup negatives

And the ultimate tool to improve pullups : weigh less

Steam ID
  • Options
    On the flip side, I can do more pull-ups now at 265 than I could at 230. I also got a hell of a lot stronger and could not do very many at the start.

I did 12 deadhang pull-ups back in July, which is about my limit when one of the students called me out while we were testing them.

My progression for people struggling:

Can they do an unassisted pull-up/chin up? If yes, do as many sets and reps unassisted as possible. For example, 4 sets of 1 and we reach failure. Great. That’s 4 reps.

Now they’re going to do 4 more sets with 3-6 reps with the least amount of band assistance as possible.

Once we do that for a few weeks and they’re working on it at least twice a week, we’ll move on to negatives.

If it’s 0 reps that you start with, we’ll start with the bands and do 4-6 sets of 5 reps. After three weeks of that, test them, if they can manage one, we go to back to getting as many sets and reps unassisted and bring up the volume with band work.

I teach them on the last rep of the last 2-3 sets to treat it as a negative as much as they can. Maybe with an extra pure negative set thrown in.

We had 15/19 volleyball girls able to do at least 1 chin-up this summer, and 4 that did 6 reps, and the other 11 were between 1-5.

I was extremely happy with those numbers.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Threw out my damn back doing pullups. I feel like on my back work now I just have to stick to supported movements because it only takes a momentary failure to throw it out and stop me sleeping for a week. Cable rows over barbell rows, pulldowns over pullups etc.

• Options
    That sucks, Tube. I never would have thought pull-ups would give you grief.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The entire right side of my body is a shit show, it doesn’t take much to angry it up. I was still able to complete my workout and don’t think I’ll lose too much steam.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    My resistance tube handle popped off RIP

Got through my leaning bicep curls though. Instead of taking a rest pause I basically leaned farther forward and stretched my biceps out for about 40 seconds before jumping right into the next set and boy talk about a pump

• Options
    Also I continue to be garbage at pullups. I'm ok with chin ups but only just barely which, doesn't make a whole lot of sense because I got mad lats and my back is basically the strongest part of my body.

A lot of it comes from angry elbows and my grip strength. Your elbows shouldn't be coming into play at all but try as I might after about two sets I start feeling the tendonitis or whatever and have to drop.

• Options
    Do a bunch of bicep work and try going thumbless with your pull ups.

A supinated grip is what commonly aggravates my elbows. No entiendo.

Box squats, deadlifts, good mornings today. Kinda rushed for time, didn’t feel like lifting. Worked up to 3 doubles at 210 on the box squats.

• Options
    Banded pullups w/ thumbless grip (I was taught that they help to prevent bicep activation and reduce stress on your elbow), snatch-grip deadlifts, pendlay rows, shrugs, narrow low cable rows, dual handle lat pulldowns.

Slowly but surely becoming a flying ninja squirrel.

Thought I had hit some records for total volume today, back was on fire and I lost my grip doing my last set of pulldowns. Figured I must have hit 60k.... I was nowhere near that. Felt good though, I'll keep the exercises and order and change up the % and reps as needed

• Options
    I do the thumb over grip, yeah.

Eventually I'm going to cycle back around to my volume routine and I'm going to put a heavy focus on weighted pull ups and making sure I'm not shorting myself. I need to go lower and stay in the hole for a beat or two longer even if it only means doing 4 or 5 reps. I need to start focusing on my forum and policing the quality of my reps more in general probably.

• Options
    Big upperbody day

DB bench 2x10 / 2x8 / 3x5 superset lat pulldowns 2x10 / 5x8

Cable flys and KB pullovers 3x15?

Neck harness + DB shrugs 3x15

DB curls 3x10 superset TRX overhead tricep extensions 3x10 then Barbell curls superset with band pushdowns 2x15?

Feeling fucking yoked

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Back on the wagon and did 3x5 135lb zercher squats. I could barely get into my car after my workout. Felt good. I gotta dig out my knee sleeves though. Need that compression.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Zerchers are a fuckin crazy workout. Bold move for heading straight to zerchers for getting back on the wagon.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    Zerchers are a fuckin crazy workout. Bold move for heading straight to zerchers for getting back on the wagon.

I find they are easier as far as mobility is concerned versus back squats or front squats, as a very overweight person. Once I shed some pounds and regain some flexibility I'll probably switch back to back squats.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    If my volume is this:

xgbgdlerdno1.png

I should not be able to hear your stupid fucking conversations with your training partner.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Holy shit. JM presses are quick to put you in your place.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Now this is interesting. I really struggle to do low, low, way down low squats with a traditional shoulder-width grip on the bar. But when I put my hands way out to the end of the bar, as far as they can go, I go all the way down with, well I wouldn't say with ease, but I have no problem going low.

That must be a mental thing, where my traditional-grip brain says "Hey now, stop right there, I can't balance this if you go lower" but when I move my hands out to the end of the bar, "Ah that's much better, proceed".

• Options
    It may be bar position too. Wider grip lets the bar sit in a low position. Narrow/normal grip better for high bar. For me at least.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    whats the exercise called where your on the ground, heels secured and you use your core and leg muscles to lift yourself vertical on your knees?

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Nordic Curl? Or a Glute Ham Raise?

Turned 30 today. Tried to summon Tom Platz quads with 30x315 on back squat.

Hit 26. Felt like I was going to black out and vomit. I don’t squat near as narrow as Tom.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Oof sounds like a nice way to kick start that 30s back, get ready for your body to throw you a bunch of infuriating curveballs as it decides its time to start the decline.

• Options

Hit 26. Felt like I was going to black out and vomit. I don’t squat near as narrow as Tom.

Glute ham raise! Thank you.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    Oof sounds like a nice way to kick start that 30s back, get ready for your body to throw you a bunch of infuriating curveballs as it decides its time to start the decline.

That’s why I train!

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

Only 200 more pounds and you would've beat Platz.

https://youtu.be/s6H-xs0fPyM

• Options
    edited September 2019

Only 200 more pounds and you would've beat Platz.

https://youtu.be/s6H-xs0fPyM

I can do that for a triple? And it wipes me out

Also i see Kaz, was that Fred Hatfield at the end there?

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Yeah. That was the squat off between Hatfield ans Platz. Hatfield had a higher max - 840ish but Platz had more reps at the lower weight.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Getting back into the groove.

Hit a 98% single today for my top set on squat for 157,5kg. Just trying to do a little more each week.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    are there any downsides to me only using the yoke bar for back squats

seems safer and i don't need to worry about my shoulder mobility as much

poo
  • Options
    are there any downsides to me only using the yoke bar for back squats

seems safer and i don't need to worry about my shoulder mobility as much

Not unless you’re planning on competing in powerlifting. Use it and enjoy

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    This is amazingly terrible and very satisfying to read the comments on.

• Options
    oof

Steam ID
This discussion has been closed.