As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Relationship Advice

Hi Folks! I need to get this out somewhere and I'm hoping that someone may have some insight that would help me as my internet searches so far have not helped and I think have only made things worse.

I have been with my partner for nearly 8 years. It started off as mainly a sexual relationship, we bought a house, we improved the house and we eventually ran out of projects to work on together. These goals I think brought us together but we never learned to be more than we were. I have realized now after recently imploding with anxiety that I did things in the past that she didn't like so she shut me out, which in turn caused me to shut her out of other things. To me these were never conscious decisions, they just happened over time. We both grew apart and never realized that we needed to grow with each other as well.

A few years ago she began to realize that she may be more interested in a poly-amorous relationship. At first it was things like her wanting to explore her sexuality outside of our relationship which I had no interest in. This topic came up probably once every 10-12 months for the past 3 years and I feel as though each time it distanced me from her more as if I wasn't good enough for what she needed.

Recently she took a trip which isn't out of the norm but when she got back she brought up the poly option again and I blew up. This year I began to question my own needs and desires in life and when I blew up it was everything at once, all of those thoughts as well as everything she was thinking. Needless to say, things are quite rocky now. I have opened up more in the past few weeks than I have in my entire life. I have realized that the thing I need most in my relationship is quality time which she has not been providing me very much, more so in the past year as we stopped doing things together.

I am fully committed to doing what is necessary to repair the relationship and I want to believe that she does as well. The thing that is bothering me the most though is the poly relationship. It is that everything can be fixed but at some point that conversation will come back up and if I am not willing to open up to that, that will be the end of the relationship. I don't feel that it is fair to me to have to change in that manner for her and I don't feel that it is fair to her to have to change as well. This has all been discussed between us and she believes that it is who she is and not just something that happened as we grew apart.

I'm I crazy in thinking that it may be better off to not put myself through this pain again in the future by calling it now? Has anyone ever been in a similar situation with someone that wanted a poly relationship? How do you get over the feeling of being inadequate in that you can't provide them for all of their needs? How do I not feel like I would be second fiddle and just there to pay half the mortgage and take care of things when she is gone?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    If she wants a poly relationship and you don't, it seems pretty clear that you're incompatible. It's neither of your fault, it's just a thing that happens sometimes.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    just_another_altjust_another_alt Registered User regular
    That is something that I am finding myself starting to realize and I think I am trying to ignore it because I don't want to face that. One part of me feels as though maybe my thoughts will change or hers will change and another part tells me that it is better to stop now, deal with the pain and move on. I suppose I just need to figure out which part is right.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    That is something that I am finding myself starting to realize and I think I am trying to ignore it because I don't want to face that. One part of me feels as though maybe my thoughts will change or hers will change and another part tells me that it is better to stop now, deal with the pain and move on. I suppose I just need to figure out which part is right.

It's the later part I'm afraid =(

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    What you want and what she wants are two entirely different things. She wants a poly relationship, you don't.

Break it off and save yourself the headache/heartache. It's not worth the stress or the grief.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Since there are no children involved (apparently) there should be no shame in splitting amicably as you have grown apart in life. You should both find someone who is right for you (or in her case, more than one someone!)

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Being pushed to a type of relationship you're not okay with because you don't want to end things will inevitably result in resentment and jealousy down the road anyway. Save yourself the frustration and hurt by really sorting out your thoughts now while it's a simple incompatibility and not an investment of time you can't get back.

Good luck.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    It sounds to me like asking why she wants a polya relationship is worth asking. The answer to that may help you with your answer. However! I think this is also a question that may be best asked by and answered with a trained professional. So consider this to be the stock generic answer of seeing a marriage counselor if the two of you are interested in doing work to save your relationship.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Poly relationships dont always start from a rosey place of trust, but when they do its a whole heck of a lot easier. If you want the relationship to work, you are going to have to figure out what parts of polyamory scare you the most and be able to have a rational conversation about it. Its certainly not for everyone and it doesn't have to be for you, but if you want to repair the relationship, her bringing it up cant also be an immediate bomb drop.

You would both have to sit down to the table, understanding what poly means to different people (it is often characterized extremely poorly), and be willing to make adult choices about how to make each other feel safe, understood, and heard. If shes approaching it as "I get to go out and do whatever I want and fuck your feelings!", that's not how its supposed to work either, and probably a sign that shes feeling afraid of this impending breakup as well. If shes also interested in keeping the relationship going, couples counseling would be the best bet.

If the poly idea is a showstopper for you, and any sort of monogamous relationship is a total deal breaker for her, you are both sitting down at the table to just try to claim your resentment is the most valid, and that's a bad approach. If you cant really see it any other way, I would start to think about the cleanest way to split now before its more ugly. If you put couples counseling on the table and neither of you can think of a good reason to invest the money, time, and emotional vulnerability to the relationship, that would be telling.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If you aren't okay with it you aren't. Being poly and having a mono partner, there is no requirement that you go around having extra partners. I'm guessing that's not the problem here, just putting that out there in case.

There is no repairing this relationship if repairing it means "her not being poly anymore." She is poly and has been for a very long time, and it has come up repeatedly and will come up again. It will. It's part of one of you wanting more than one relationship and the other not being okay with being in a relationship with someone who wants more than one. It is probably going to end. And that's okay, just try to be grownups about it and recognize it as an incompatibility that has nothing to do with your relationship or how close or grown-apart you are.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight everyone. I have a very big conversation to have which I have gone over in my head all day about. I'm sure it won't go anywhere near the way I think it will but that's alright. I am prepared for both outcomes and sometimes the one that is more difficult is the better option.

• Options
    So we went over everything again and we are going to give couples counselling a go. She is not entirely certain on what she needs but we both now know that we are at the time we have to figure that out.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So we went over everything again and we are going to give couples counselling a go. She is not entirely certain on what she needs but we both now know that we are at the time we have to figure that out.

Make sure you find one who is up-to-date on what poly means and the other hip trends that have come around in the last 50 years. From what I've read in the LGBT thread, some counselors are a little behind on these things and may not give the best help.

*Ceres/others - please blast me if wrong, I'm jut speaking from second-hand.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    LGBT friendly and sex-positive are what I looked for to filter when I was looking for therapists. We found both a couples councilor and personal therapists this way. You can also feel out how familiar they are with your consultation.

If you feel under-informed about poly and want to do some of the work to understand the whole landscape, The Ethical Slut is a easy to read overview of modern thinking about it.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah if you end up with one who hates the idea of multiple partners to begin with it's going to go poorly. When you get there though, also beware someone who is judgemental of how you feel.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Just bear in mind that if you really aren't right for each other, somewhere deep down you already know that, even if it's scary to face. If you do end up breaking up, the loss of anxiety related to that feeling really does help in the recovery process.

• Options
    I brought up the real possibility that we may be at the end and she understands that. I've been in nothing short of overdrive on understanding what I need and as soon as I told her that my anxiety is almost completely gone. It makes a world of difference thinking about my needs for once.

She's going to meet with the therapist next week(I already have) and then we will be going together. At the moment it is about being patient while she works through everything.