As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Can't Stop Thinking About [Control]

• Options
    RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Is there a reliable way to get a corrupted sample?

Mold zone. If you look at the crafting components in the menu, they tell you where they drop from.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Every time a Hiss Agent dies from Seize running out post-battle I feel so guilty, all it needs is a wallet of family photos to spill out.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I usually just finish 'em off before the meter runs out.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    That would make me feel equally guilty!

Well, except for the exploders.

• Options
    Well think of it like this. You at least gave them one last opportunity to fight back against the Hiss.

• Options
    Just finished this the other day. Obviously any thoughts I have on the ending would be massive endgame spoilers.
    First, holy crap that Ashtray Maze level was awesome.

I thought the fake-out ending and office worker section were cool ideas, but I think they both went on a bit too long. Like, I get it, you're clever. Now let's move on.

Though I think the very last section kind of highlighted my biggest issue with the game. Boss fights. The last mission didn't really have one. It was just waves of common enemies until you reached the end. But I was almost kinda glad it didn't have a proper boss, because the ones earlier in the game weren't that great. They were generally just less fun than just fighting waves of enemies, and seemed to rely on instant or near-instant death for challenge.

My last issue is with the kinda non-ending the game had. Sure the main threat of more Hiss is gone, and Dylan is contained. But overall, it's kinda unsatisfying.
    No closure with Dylan because he's in a coma. I get that a lot of it is because they wanted an in-game justification of you still being stuck in the Oldest House full of Hiss enemies for the post-game stuff. But it does feel more like "to be continued in the DLC".

All in all, I know I come across as a bit negative, but with Remedy, it always seems easier to articulate the game's shortcomings more so than why it's good, and I did enjoy it overall. Almost got the platinum trophy, but it's roadblocked by a shitty boss fight I'm not interested in. Looking forward to the DLC.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Big Alan Wake/Control possible spoilers from fucking 2012.
    Sam Lake tweeted this on the day Alan Wakes American Nightmare came out.

I also believe “It’s happening again in a town called Ordinary.” Is one of the opening lines in that game.

This bookends nicely with the hidden area that triggers the little Alan Wake cutscene that says the date they found the typewritten page altered item is the same day Control was released.

Pump this shit directly into my veins. How am I going to get any work done today now!?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Well, The Mould Zone is a miserable time. I'd say good riddance, but the guide I read didn't mention any wait before you progress, so back to the main story I go.

On a more positive note, Jesse's inner monologue is the best

Panopticon
    Jesse: "So how'd you get here?"
    Panopticon Guy: "Well, I started at a desk job because my uncle knew a guy, then I transferred to management here because they were short staffed, then 10 years of 8 hour days later, boom, Supervisor"
    Jesse: <I just picked up a gun>

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Well, The Mould Zone is a miserable time. I'd say good riddance, but the guide I read didn't mention any wait before you progress, so back to the main story I go.

On a more positive note, Jesse's inner monologue is the best

Panopticon
    Jesse: "So how'd you get here?"
    Panopticon Guy: "Well, I started at a desk job because my uncle knew a guy, then I transferred to management here because they were short staffed, then 10 years of 8 hour days later, boom, Supervisor"
    Jesse: <I just picked up a gun>

Panopticon
    I don't know why, but the casting for the voice and facial capture for Langston continuously struck me as the most perfect casting for a side character in the whole game. He just looks the perfect amount of dumpy and discontented and pure distilled career bureaucrat.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Also, on a return-trip to Research I noticed that they put up wet floor signs, except they're warning people of building shifts, that's cute.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    so usually I only hang out in G&T but I really really really need more Control and I also really need to rant about ... things

tl;dr I did my undergraduate thesis on House of Leaves and how it relates to Beowulf, Anglo-Saxon mythology, and the hero's journey (no, seriously) and uhhh THIS GAME, IT WAS MADE FOR ME

And now that I've beaten it I'm falling down a hole of "I really should play Alan Wake, I guess?" and "Fuuuck, Finno-Urgic mythology is one of my blind spots, when do I have time to get to the library, I need to know what the HELL is Ahti's deal" (he's probably God. Or, well a god.)

God is a House and we just live here.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Fuck yeah House of Leaves

Have you seen this video yet? It isn't about Control and House of Leaves, but it draws those comparisons

https://youtu.be/mexs39y0Imw

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    Fuck yeah House of Leaves

Have you seen this video yet? It isn't about Control and House of Leaves, but it draws those comparisons

https://youtu.be/mexs39y0Imw

Totally gonna watch that when I get home from therapy!

Regarding your very first post in this thread:
    Ahti is the name of a Finnish god of the sea / water / fishing / deep places

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&amp;tl=en&amp;u=https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahti

And then there's this concept art by the lead character artist:

https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/020/503/381/large/antti-puomio-at-work.jpg?1568040855

source: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zANLmL

So yeah. There's a bunch of other stuff too, like how the sky is held up by a giant pole which is itself held up by the north star -- aka, Polaris. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_mythology#The_origins_and_the_structure_of_the_world

I absolutely think Yggdrasil and Norse mythology are connections too, because, I mean, yeah, the big ol World Tree carving in the basement, the House of Leaves references, etc. It also occurred to me that in many, many mythologies that have a World Tree, a giant serpent gnaws at its roots. What do serpents do? They Hiss.

So I guess my theory is that Ahti is a caretaker/keeper of the Deep Places / secrets of the world, and the House is Yggdrasil, and the Hiss is Niddhog.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I finished the game and have a lot more thoughts but for now

Fuck, somebody sell me that hair comb

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Yes, everyone should play Alan Wake.

It is in my top 3 favorite games of all-time and I need more people to talk with about it, ESPECIALLY now.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    I have seen the truth about the NSC and I can’t stop thinking about the NSC.

• Options
    Cello wrote: »
    I finished the game and have a lot more thoughts but for now

Fuck, somebody sell me that hair comb

for that matter, how does that hair work? And where can I get that SUIT?

• Options
    I just got that suit last night!

It's very good

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The fuck is Dougie Jones

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The fuck is Dougie Jones

the fishman actor

• Options
    I've been meaning to ask, how prevalent are the alternate outfits? I know there was a PS4 exclusive one, but I'm past the first visit to the Panopticon and I only have the civilian outfit.

• Options
    I barely had any outfits until the very very end. I know some of them (like the gold one above) you could get anytime you can access the room (it has a keycard clearance level), but a lot are locked behind stuff that happens towards the end.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    God I’m loving this game and want to talk about it but I only just finished up my first (??) trip to the research sector and everywhere I go everyone has already finished it

How are people so fast at games, don’t you have like errands to do or something

Anyway this game is great

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I've been meaning to ask, how prevalent are the alternate outfits? I know there was a PS4 exclusive one, but I'm past the first visit to the Panopticon and I only have the civilian outfit.

1 you get near the end, 2 more you get at the very end of the story, 1 after a certain sidequest, 1 from a puzzle.

captaink on
  • Options
    I have been thinking about how I could just modify a women's suit even with my mediocre sewing skills and get that final outfit but somebody's gotta sell me that comb before I buy a damn sheet metal shop myself

Steam
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    God I’m loving this game and want to talk about it but I only just finished up my first (??) trip to the research sector and everywhere I go everyone has already finished it

How are people so fast at games, don’t you have like errands to do or something

Anyway this game is great

Don't rush, just enjoy the atmosphere.

• Options
    I feel like the Astral Dive suit was leftover from some cut story concept. Like maybe there was going to be a mission that required her to go even deeper into the Astral Plane and even with her abilities, she needed the suit. Then they scrapped the idea and decided to use the suit as bonus content. But without a story-based justification, it doesn't look like anything Jesse would ever wear, so I never wore it. I didn't really like it anyway.

The rest of the costumes came to me far too late to ever bother with them. It doesn't help that you can only change outfits at one specific control point. It felt like too much of a commitment.

Only slightly related, but I do wonder how video game actors whose likenesses are used in-game feel about how their body is portrayed. The astral dive suit is pretty form fitting. That's gotta be kinda surreal seeing your head/face on top of what a 3D modeler imagined your body looks like.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The fuck is Dougie Jones

It's from twin peaks season 3

For a lot of complicated reasons, Agent Cooper spends most of the show trapped in the body of Dougie Jones. He can't speak and he can barely function, but because of his time in the black lodge he's magically lucky.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I won't name them, but if you're a certain young(er) female actress, probably not great after having a nude model programmed in one game you did, and another game making a pretty strong likeness to you.

• Options
    Asynchronous Suit 4 Life

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I won't name them, but if you're a certain young(er) female actress, probably not great after having a nude model programmed in one game you did, and another game making a pretty strong likeness to you.

This feels like a non sequitur to the conversation. Am I missing something?

Also I don't understand avoiding names in this context either.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

This feels like a non sequitur to the conversation. Am I missing something?

Also I don't understand avoiding names in this context either.

Well he was responding to my comment, which I admit was only tangentially related. Not sure why we'd want to avoid naming Ellen Page, as her issues with Quantic Dream and Naughty Dog are well documented (though I think the Naughty Dog thing is a stretch). And its not really quite what I was talking about.

• Options
    Yeah it may not matter, but I didn't want to encourage GISes of that. Agreed the Naughty Dog thing is less relevant.

The Quantic Dream issue was the extreme example I thought of around modeling actors. Like what if they decide to add a bikini outfit to Jesse- does the actress have a say in that?

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Yeah it may not matter, but I didn't want to encourage GISes of that. Agreed the Naughty Dog thing is less relevant.

The Quantic Dream issue was the extreme example I thought of around modeling actors. Like what if they decide to add a bikini outfit to Jesse- does the actress have a say in that?

It certainly feels like she should, but I’m no expert on how these things work in movies. I know there’s plenty of actors who sign into films before a script is written, so like, how do you resolve that if they suddenly are asked to do a nude scene or something

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I have been thinking about how I could just modify a women's suit even with my mediocre sewing skills and get that final outfit but somebody's gotta sell me that comb before I buy a damn sheet metal shop myself

I'm just glad I wasn't the only one looking at a pile of brass scraps like "Hypothetically, maybe, I could machine this. But it'd also probably cut all my hair off and kill me."

But god damn I want it. I WANT TO BE BUSINESS BITCH.

*edit* as for altering an extant suit, the biggest issue I've found is that the collar is *not normal* (it's inverted and the darts are in a really odd spot), the vents are also in an odd place, there's a bigass subtle triangle (but you can make that by just ironing a big ol triangle of fusible interfacing into the back) and then the blouse too has this really unique collar and cosplays like this are REALLY all in the details arejgldjlfjd

*edit* Also, I apologize @Cello , but this is my first time seriously in SE++, I am learning the landscape and the people here, and I just want to commend you on your completely fantastic choice of avatar. Jodariel is... ... /chef's kiss, ok

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options

I'm just glad I wasn't the only one looking at a pile of brass scraps like "Hypothetically, maybe, I could machine this. But it'd also probably cut all my hair off and kill me."

But god damn I want it. I WANT TO BE BUSINESS BITCH.

*edit* as for altering an extant suit, the biggest issue I've found is that the collar is *not normal* (it's inverted and the darts are in a really odd spot), the vents are also in an odd place, there's a bigass subtle triangle (but you can make that by just ironing a big ol triangle of fusible interfacing into the back) and then the blouse too has this really unique collar and cosplays like this are REALLY all in the details arejgldjlfjd

*edit* Also, I apologize @Cello , but this is my first time seriously in SE++, I am learning the landscape and the people here, and I just want to commend you on your completely fantastic choice of avatar. Jodariel is... ... /chef's kiss, ok

Thank you!!! And yeah, modifying suiting could be hard, but if you could find a jacket with that weird collar, the little triangle cuts would be easy to add in... I also thought about just getting two of a single blouse, essentially pinning in a new collar that had the overlap, and installing snaps to make the front look right. I am generally a mediocre sewer, though (I prefer armour-based cosplay since that matches my talents better), so I might be more tempted than other more skilled ones to cut corners, ahahah

Steam
  • Options
    anyway, I'm a goose, please love me

https://old.reddit.com/r/controlgame/comments/d7wviz/goose_ai20ue/ (I wrote this)

• Options
    This game has such interesting boss design, which is hampered by how much it sucks having to restart when you die. My kingdom for some reasonable checkpoints.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I just started this and I know I have a bad sense of direction but
    The layout of this place totally changed after I talked to the janitor didn’t it? The hallway past the offices I came down leads to nowhere and past the janitor is the lobby again with a new elevator. The door I opened in the bathroom is still open even