As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    It's important to know what you're getting yourself into though:

cgAUdrd.png?1

Yeah, RF5 looks real bad. The farming part looks like a cheap mobile game, the combat part looks like a low-poly port from the mid2000s, the anime part is over designed 12 year olds you are supposed to be romancing.

It's all super disappointing.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

cgAUdrd.png?1

Yeah, RF5 looks real bad. The farming part looks like a cheap mobile game, the combat part looks like a low-poly port from the mid2000s, the anime part is over designed 12 year olds you are supposed to be romancing.

Er, this is an RF4 screenshot. Also it's a port of a 3DS game from 2012.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Game breaking bugs with Puzzle Quest...early in the game you'll encounter enemies with 1000 HP when you have about 60. Good luck with that.

Did they ever fix that bug with the original game where the battle always starts the same way where it has one obvious move that sets up the person going second with a really good opening combo?

I remember the way to get around this stacking of the deck in the DS version was to purposely make an illegal move on Turn 1, then let the opponent make the obvious move and steal the combo to use against them.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Saw on reddit that Untitled Goose Game is having a day one sale, so the game will be $14.99 at launch.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Game breaking bugs with Puzzle Quest...early in the game you'll encounter enemies with 1000 HP when you have about 60. Good luck with that.

Hopefully this gets patched quickly.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Guys one question. Which FG has the best single player content outside of Smash and DBFZ on the Switch? I was thinking about picking up BBCtag but how does the AI compare say to SF:A? I've heard bad things about the cheap AI on the latter.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    That cool-looking Neo Cab game now has a date (Oct. 3) and a demo up now.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Thank you, thank you, I am very good at video games.

By which I mean that I am very good at reflexively drawing shallow comparisons between video games based on a casual, surface observation of their outermost appearance.

Truly you are the Dark Souls of video game observers.

my favorite Delduwath is Okami
    nailed it

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Is anyone going to a midnight release tonight? Which store are you attending? I'm thinking of getting my Switch Lite at Gamestop for the double sided poster then head to Target to buy Links Awakening so I can get the pin set.

Edit: Anyone know if Best Buy is doing anything? They're usually the one's with the collectible coins but I haven't seen any advertisements about it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Donnicton wrote: »

cgAUdrd.png?1

Edit: Sorry, I saw the video and thought that WAS RF5, not that RF5 was hinted at at the end of the video.

Derp.

Enc on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Really enjoying FF8 on switch. The X3 speed is a lifesaver. Always been one of my favorite FFs despite the chilly original reception.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

cgAUdrd.png?1

Edit: Sorry, I saw the video and thought that WAS RF5, not that RF5 was hinted at at the end of the video.

Derp.

Err...that's still 4.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Is anyone going to a midnight release tonight? Which store are you attending? I'm thinking of getting my Switch Lite at Gamestop for the double sided poster then head to Target to buy Links Awakening so I can get the pin set.

Edit: Anyone know if Best Buy is doing anything? They're usually the one's with the collectible coins but I haven't seen any advertisements about it.

It's out tonight? Geez, I pre ordered and completely forgot.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Scratch that, not one single store is doing a midnight release for the Lite/Links Awakening.

Someone at one of the Gamestop's told me that Nintendo wouldn't let them. They did say they would put my name on a turquoise model to pick up in the morning though, so that's nice.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

cgAUdrd.png?1

Derp.

Err...that's still 4.

Throwing another RF4 screenshot on the pile so we're all clear what we're getting:

Switch_RuneFactory4Special_01.jpg

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I didn't mean to cause any confusion. My first reply there was at the wrong time so it looked like I might be talking about RF5.

Rune Factory 4 is a port of an old 3DS game with some tweaks to put it on Switch. There are good reasons why it looks the way it does. But I still think it looks kinda pretty bad. The UI looks indie game amateurish, the various graphical elements feel like they're all at different resolutions and levels of blur/texture filtering, combined with 3D character models on top. It looks far worse than Stardew Valley IMO. It might be fun in spite of all that.

I was just personally tired of retreading the mental process of "ooh it's a Rune Factory special edition! It's coming to the Switch! ...Oh wait it's this one."

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    that's one hell of a farmville clone

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I didn't mean to cause any confusion. My first reply there was at the wrong time so it looked like I might be talking about RF5.

Rune Factory 4 is a port of an old 3DS game with some tweaks to put it on Switch. There are good reasons why it looks the way it does. But I still think it looks kinda pretty bad. The UI looks indie game amateurish, the various graphical elements feel like they're all at different resolutions and levels of blur/texture filtering, combined with 3D character models on top. It looks far worse than Stardew Valley IMO. It might be fun in spite of all that.

I was just personally tired of retreading the mental process of "ooh it's a Rune Factory special edition! It's coming to the Switch! ...Oh wait it's this one."

I love everything about RF4 and am excited for it to be on this platform, though it's not the greatest visual game at this point.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited September 2019

It's out tonight? Geez, I pre ordered and completely forgot.

Check your local stores first before you go, apparently Nintendo is only letting stores that have a certain number of pre-orders do midnight releases. Pretty much every store around me has done a midnight release for every piece of Nintendo hardware dating back to the GBA, and yet none of them are doing an event tonight.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    It looks like they took all of the image assets, ran them all through a batch upscaler and called it a day - an amusingly Square-Enix thing to do. I wonder if they lost the originals or just never made them in very high resolution to begin with.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Rune Factory 4 is really great, and I plan on getting it again for Switch. It’s not a farmville clone in any way shape or form.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    It looks like they took all of the image assets, ran them all through a batch upscaler and called it a day - an amusingly Square-Enix thing to do. I wonder if they lost the originals or just never made them in very high resolution to begin with.

When your making stuff for 240p, why would you.

Same as the backgrounds on all the PS1 FFs.

• Options

When your making stuff for 240p, why would you.

Same as the backgrounds on all the PS1 FFs.

The backgrounds on the PS1 FFs were all done at a higher resolution and then scaled down. They just never bothered to keep the sources. (especially infamous with FF9 and the original Eidos PC port of FF7)

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Were the backgrounds rendered at 1080p then?

Most of those R4 assets don't look exactly 240p to me either. Like those strawberries. Nonetheless they were built to be scaled down. Its just super noticeable in HD now because the source images are made in different resolutions.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'd like Rune Factory Frontier for the switch

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

But you can't patch out Runies on the Switch.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Aww man, all these games are out tomorrow? I thought it was today.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »

AHMLIxS.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Rune Factory Frontier was my favourite one, despite the runeys.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Scratch that, not one single store is doing a midnight release for the Lite/Links Awakening.

Someone at one of the Gamestop's told me that Nintendo wouldn't let them. They did say they would put my name on a turquoise model to pick up in the morning though, so that's nice.

The Nintendo World Store in NYC is doing a Link’s Awakening event at midnight.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

Wait, how does one patch out Runeys on the otherwise perfect RFF?

• Options
    The other main thing I remember about Rune Factory Frontier is the guy who would constantly say "HEY YOUNG MAN" even though he was one too.

7FsYHSl.png

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Saw on reddit that Untitled Goose Game is having a day one sale, so the game will be $14.99 at launch.

Not seeing this yet. Anyone else?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Not seeing this yet. Anyone else?

Apparently it's a sale that'll happen at launch? That's what I've heard at least.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So Daemon X Machina. The reviews had it pegged as being solidly mediocre. So I didn't go in expecting some sort of opus. I'm just desperate for a nice giant robot game. But it's coming across as more tedious and boring than I'd thought.

I'm wrapping up my C rank missions I think? And for the most part they are almost all the same. The mission doesn't go as planned, nobody knows why, and every single character just keeps vaguely going "Keep fighting to get to the truth!" Nobody knows anything, nobody shares any information. There are too many characters that get too little screen time too far apart for me to even remember who they are the next time I see them.

I think I'm seeing some Thirteenth Floor style twist coming at some point? But probably not if I'm being honest.

This is rough. Really rough. The difficulty so far has ranged from tedious to easy. I've had some fun mixing up my loadouts, but have settled onto assault rifles for the most part. Maybe it's my own fault for coming to depend on a single weapon time as my bread and butter.

Most of the C rank story missions have involved me going up against other mercs, and while at first you'd think that's exciting, it's mostly just tedious. They have all the fucking hitpoints, and you mostly just attrition each other down for 5 or 10 minutes. Maybe I'm terrible at the game and just don't know how to kill them faster. That's always a possibility. Maybe those other weapons like the acid gun or lasers could speed this process up.

I donno, I feel like I mostly just have a lot of complaints, that aren't the worst complains about a game I've ever had. But there isn't much I can put up in the pro column to balance them out either. I was hooked on Fire Emblem Three Houses until I'd stayed up stupid late. I play Deamon X Machina for about 30 to 45 minutes and I'm good. It's just not commanding my attention for whatever reason.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    In DxM every non-missile weapon has an effective range, listed right on their stats. Make sure to actually be in that range while using that weapon to do the most damage. The number below the target's name under your crosshair is your current range from it. For example the starter Grim Reaper assault rifle will ping for something like 5-11 damage outside its effective range, and as much as 25-30 in it.

Missiles are a bit more tricky. They have no range at which they do more or less damage. Instead their launch sequence, flight speeds and trajectories, plus homing abilities vary a ton. This can make can them very easy or extremely difficult to hit with, depending on the situation. The initial Thunderbird and Garuda launchers are literally the most straightforward.

For a temporary double damage boost, press up or down on the D-Pad until your Arsenal's forearms have red bands around them. This is Assault Mode. Using this and your weapons well will melt most opponents in seconds, unless they have huge bullet or laser defense. There's a HUD indicator for Assault Mode's remaining charge, the leftmost one under your Femto gauge. It will recharge itself when not in use, so long as you have Femto in your gauge.

I'd encourage taking weapons into the hangar's testing grounds to try them out and get a hang for the right range to hit those red, optimal damage numbers. To more quickly try other weapons, open the + menu in the testing grounds and select "Change Equipment". This takes much less time than exiting out to the hangar.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    This particular sort of mech game has historically been very hit or miss.

Like basically all of the armored core games. Even the best ones lauded by fans would turn off A LOT of people. And DxM is very much in that particular style. Collecting parts, building mechs, getting different stats and lots of numbers and the feeling of controlling a mech vs just controlling a character that happens to be a mech are the big draws. You kind of expect them to feel a bit budget in scope and really don't think of the story as something to come to them for. It's just sorta there to give you a reason to be a mech pilot.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Picked up Picross: Lord of the Nazarick. It's pretty good! I like that all the puzzles I've done so far are new images and not just retreads of images any picross fan has seen many times before. And they don't waste a lot of time with easy puzzles; it gets to intermediate levels pretty quickly although I havent seen anything truly challenging yet. The one thing that's annoying is it really assumes you have familiarity with the anime it's based on (Overlord, I think), and I have none whatsoever. The gimmick is the main guy is reconstructing his memories via solving the puzzles so there's a bunch of story content, characters talking about past events and such, but fuck if I know what any of it means. You end up with some forced dialogue at the beginning and end of each set of puzzles, which is as said annoying but it's at least fairly short and easy to skip through if you don't care about it.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Goose Game was said to be going up at about 9 AM no matter your time zone, but it's past 11 here and not up on the eshop yet. It's on the website for $20 preorder but once it's actually out it should be offered at its sale price.

EDIT: I checked their twitter and the time was misinterpreted, it's 9 pacific so should be out in a half hour.

UncleSporky on