As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Official Bug Identification Thread Starring Arch, Bugboy, and Fiendishrabbit

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Hope you don't have any outdoor plants you care about at all, because Japanese beetles are assholes that eat everything and are hard to kill and just generally gross and crunchy when stepped on.

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    This bad boy(girl?) was eating the wood for making a nest for three days straight. You could actually hear it's mandibles chomping the wood!
    Not sure on which polistes exactly, but a sight to behold.

zODb1d4.jpg

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ... D:

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    It definitely has a very unusual colouring for paper wasps (but it's definitely a paper wasp). Note that Paper wasps rate a 3+ on the Schimdt insect sting pain index, with only bullet ants, warrior wasps and tarantula hawks rating higher.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Out of curiosity is there a really good reason not to kill that with fire?

ceres wrote: »
    Out of curiosity is there a really good reason not to kill that with fire?

They're not really aggressive, good pollinators and they love eating garden pests? However their sting is painful and dangerous enough that you should remove/burn any nest that's in close proximity to a house.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    edited August 2019
    Who is this?
    Central Virginia. A bit less than an inch long. Mostly black, with some very thin yellow lines running down the length. Three pairs of legs in front, two segments with no legs, then four pairs of a different kind of legs, then a couple more segments without, and then the big foot at the end. Friend or foe?

Fry on
    edited August 2019
    Well, at first I thought it was an unusually emaciated Pipevine Swallowtail, but you said it has stripes. So.
    Orange-striped/yellow-striped Oakworm is my best bet. It fits with the build, The stripes can be more or less pronounced, from very clear to almost unnoticable.
    027bafa9d60565172246764358354d56_large.jpg

Anisota senatoria/Anisota peigleri

Fiendishrabbit on
    It definitely has a very unusual colouring for paper wasps (but it's definitely a paper wasp). Note that Paper wasps rate a 3+ on the Schimdt insect sting pain index, with only bullet ants, warrior wasps and tarantula hawks rating higher.

It was in vietnam, there's a lot of paperwasp variety there. It was minding it's own business and did not exhibit any agressive behaviour. Otherwise i would not have gotten so close

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    edited August 2019
    Well, at first I thought it was an unusually emaciated Pipevine Swallowtail, but you said it has stripes. So.
    Orange-striped/yellow-striped Oakworm is my best bet. It fits with the build, The stripes can be more or less pronounced, from very clear to almost unnoticable.

Anisota senatoria/Anisota peigleri

I thought I remembered the antennae being on the head itself, but upon review of my photo and video, they do appear to be one segment back, just like your image. I think you have a winner!

Edit: if that's what it is, it turns into a pretty cool moth. Fuzzy orange body, with brown leaves for wings.

Fry on
    bwanie wrote: »

It was in vietnam, there's a lot of paperwasp variety there. It was minding it's own business and did not exhibit any agressive behaviour. Otherwise i would not have gotten so close

Yeah. I noticed that. Vietnam features 78 of the worlds roughly 300 species of paper wasps, and unlike Europe and the states many of the wasps have no photos but instead drawings or descriptions which would allow you to identify a dead or captured wasp (facial aspects, antennae proportions etc) but are practically useless when it comes to identifying a wasp from a photo.

Yeah i gave up after the first three descriptive whitepapers lol.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Not sure why this guy was crawling on me, and afiak it didn't bite me? just wondering what kinda spider it is:

o0so2u36xwkt.png

Southeast PA is where I am located?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    Dunno. The build suggests some kind of hunting spider, but it's not a pattern or build that I recognize.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    How big was/is the spider? Looks pretty good sized, but it's hard to tell without something to establish scale.

edited August 2019
    The length from thorax to abdomen was about half a centimeter? Picture is sized up because I zoomed trying to figure out what it was from the markings.

I don't think it was a web making one either, as I'm am assuming that it was in a t-shirt that I had just put on that I had left on a plastic container. Only way it could have gotten under my shirt?

tastydonuts on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Here's a cutie I saw cruising along the other day:
    njr0cfdbfw5u.jpg

I'm thinking that's a Spotted Apatelodes moth (Apatelodes torrefacta). Common in northern and eastern USA, uncommon in Canada and the southern US.
    It will grow up to become this weirdo.
    FKARXQFRIQVRRQAR70YQ80YQN0Z07QQ0QQORIQJRN0S0E0TR20CQ70DQJKFQX0BRM09RI0OQZQVRMQJR.jpg

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Needs some moisturizer...

That thing looks like a bird's leftovers

Now you're just insulting Eudryas grata (aka, "Beautiful Woodnymph moth) and Macrocilix maia. They worked hard on their bird poop disguises.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I was thinking more like a PSA for what happens when you don't condition/moisturize

So, I just saw another one of those spiders, this time dangling closely to a wall a short distance from where I guess the first one hitched a ride? When I turned the light on, it proceeded to ascend up toward my ceiling (which is dark colored)?

So, I just saw another one of those spiders, this time dangling closely to a wall a short distance from where I guess the first one hitched a ride? When I turned the light on, it proceeded to ascend up toward my ceiling (which is dark colored)?

That is no longer your house.
    It belongs either to the spiders, or to the flame.

That decision though, belongs to you alone.

edited September 2019
    see317 wrote: »

That is no longer your house.
    It belongs either to the spiders, or to the flame.

That decision though, belongs to you alone.

I fear you may be right; the past few days it's begun to run a circuit across the perimeter of the room. Perhaps my mistake was ceding the basement to their rule.

edit: it has completed the circuit and started again... . . . ?

tastydonuts on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I'm sitting in a flower garden watching a dozen or so Monarchs do there thing when I see what looks like an nega-Monarch. Same size and shape as the other monarchs, but it has black wings with orange veins instead of orange wings with black wings. Sorry, I couldn't get a picture that wasn't some blurry, abstract mess.

What Butterfly did I see? I'm in Southern Wisconsin if location is important

Edit: Actually got a real good look and a picture. Not a nega-Monarch, but still interested in what it is

https://imgur.com/a/C5k2CDZ

Veevee on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    what the hell are these sticky fuckers that are all over my vines, and what do:
    q9ndjxm5scid.png

I googled, "furry aphids" but got "woolly Aphids" which seem to look different from these guys, which have much more whispy hairs and less black on their bodies

Mealybugs?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    just give in to them

rest

it'll be over soon

it'll be better

just rest

Veevee wrote: »
    I'm sitting in a flower garden watching a dozen or so Monarchs do there thing when I see what looks like an nega-Monarch. Same size and shape as the other monarchs, but it has black wings with orange veins instead of orange wings with black wings. Sorry, I couldn't get a picture that wasn't some blurry, abstract mess.

What Butterfly did I see? I'm in Southern Wisconsin if location is important

Edit: Actually got a real good look and a picture. Not a nega-Monarch, but still interested in what it is

https://imgur.com/a/C5k2CDZ

Tiger swallowtail?

Mealybugs?

They really look like those, everything I find seems to be about how to get rid of them.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    They look like tiny trilobytes.

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    What the heck is this guy!!

oxuk0Ehl.jpg

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
    Blameless: an excellent fishing lure

What the heck is this guy!!

oxuk0Ehl.jpg

Tussock moth. Almost certainly a Banded Tussock moth (which exist in every colour from pale tan to vibrant yellow. You can recognize them on their tufts, with two black tufts at each end and then some white tufts at the front end, usually 4). It grows into this
    9RLQ1RIQOR7QJR0QURZQVRMQK0P0OQFKVR80VRX0VRI03QI0Z060DQHQNRFKVR3KDR3K3Q80WRYKOR.jpg

WARNING: No touching. Tussock moths will give you one helluva rash if you touch them.

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Thanks!! We did not touch it

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!

Fiendish is just trying to keep all the adorable bug cuddles to themselves.

see317 wrote: »

Fiendish is just trying to keep all the adorable bug cuddles to themselves.

Those hairs are barbed and contain chemicals which are roughly equivalent to poison ivy in their effect... not a joking matter.

edited September 2019
    the actual moth (image) is poisonous?

Usually it's the Caterpillar...

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    bwanie wrote: »
    the actual moth (image) is poisonous?

Usually it's the Caterpillar...

The caterpillar.