As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Raid Area 51 / Great Area 51 Massacre of 2019

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    But like it's not happening. Because Internet memes consistently fail to morph into people actually being interested in the thing.

Snakes on a Plane wishes it had the box office performance that its widespread meme participation suggested.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Kind of amazing that we live in an age where this could happen

Like, if you got wind of what USAF base certain research was happening at, you could try to create a memetic weapon and gather a mob there to shut down the development or get it moved as a security precaution. Totally deniable, nobody there connects back to you... That's some cyberpunk shit

Yeah, you could get something really wild to happen

Like electing Donald Trump president of the US

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I assume this is just going to be an excuse for folks to party at the minimum legal distance from the military base. I'd be pretty surprised if anyone rushed the gates.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Mentioned this in the family group chat and @Mystery Dolphin is apparently pretty hype...

2i0Da5Al.png

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I assume this is just going to be an excuse for folks to party at the minimum legal distance from the military base. I'd be pretty surprised if anyone rushed the gates.

Area 51 becoming the new Burning Man would be fine with me.

Every year, increasing numbers of people looking to drug out in the most miserable of environs party riiiiiiiight at the edge of the base boundaries, forcing the base personnel to be on constant alert for random schmucks who pass out over the line. Ends up ten years down the road with a hundred thousand people playing a massive game of "I'm not touching you" with Area 51, encasing it in a wall of smelly, dirty bodies on the verge of OD. Area 51 becomes the #1 US military base for anxiety attacks and ulcers.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

Area 51 becoming the new Burning Man would be fine with me.

Every year, increasing numbers of people looking to drug out in the most miserable of environs party riiiiiiiight at the edge of the base boundaries, forcing the base personnel to be on constant alert for random schmucks who pass out over the line. Ends up ten years down the road with a hundred thousand people playing a massive game of "I'm not touching you" with Area 51, encasing it in a wall of smelly, dirty bodies on the verge of OD. Area 51 becomes the #1 US military base for anxiety attacks and ulcers.

Ehh... I think you are pretty significantly under-rating the ability the folks that do burning man to actually get shit done.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yeah not to derail or anything, but the people I know who organize camps at burning man would be like...the most likely people alive to actually succeed at getting in to Area 51

Edit: I know a guy who helped build a gigantic tesla coil for burning man. Its sole purpose is to play synth music as loud as possible using lightning bolts

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah not to derail or anything, but the people I know who organize camps at burning man would be like...the most likely people alive to actually succeed at getting in to Area 51

Edit: I know a wizard

Just say what you mean

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

Edit: I know a guy who helped build a gigantic tesla coil for burning man. Its sole purpose is to play synth music as loud as possible using lightning bolts

>.>
    ArcAttack? Same concept at least, dancer friend of mine is in some new footage of theirs playing around in a Faraday Suit.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Yeah, I would expect a fully non-lethal response here short of a massive and hostile mob looking to pull the base down with their bare hands. The likelihood that Area 51 has anything actually secret they can't move or protect is pretty slim considering it's been a non-secret-facility for decades now.

My preferred response would be that the gates get rushed, but they open before anybody can reach them. Waiting for the mob is a collection of tour guides who walk them through an open tour of what is now a completely boring, normal training base, except for a couple locked broom closets with "SECRET" hastily spraypainted on them. Then they shuffle the mob out at taserpoint, thus guaranteeing a million more years of idiots insisting talking alien heads are being kept at Area 51.

It would be like the alien autopsy room in the Pentagon.

Except that room is actually a bunch of tech nerds not a broom closet.

I was thinking of Stargate Command in the actual Cheyenne Mountain Complex. Different base and reference, same joke.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »

>.>
    ArcAttack? Same concept at least, dancer friend of mine is in some new footage of theirs playing around in a Faraday Suit.

Coup de Foudre, I think!

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Yeah, I would expect a fully non-lethal response here short of a massive and hostile mob looking to pull the base down with their bare hands. The likelihood that Area 51 has anything actually secret they can't move or protect is pretty slim considering it's been a non-secret-facility for decades now.

My preferred response would be that the gates get rushed, but they open before anybody can reach them. Waiting for the mob is a collection of tour guides who walk them through an open tour of what is now a completely boring, normal training base, except for a couple locked broom closets with "SECRET" hastily spraypainted on them. Then they shuffle the mob out at taserpoint, thus guaranteeing a million more years of idiots insisting talking alien heads are being kept at Area 51.

It would be like the alien autopsy room in the Pentagon.

Except that room is actually a bunch of tech nerds not a broom closet.

I was thinking of Stargate Command in the actual Cheyenne Mountain Complex. Different base and reference, same joke.

For all the stuffiness there is a surprisingly large amount of nerds that do all sorts of shit like this in the military. I bet Thule probably has at least one Thing reference.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So it seems the raid is a flop. Out of two million interested people on Facebook, about 1500 showed up for the music festival, and 75 went within sight of the famous gate. Two were arrested, one for trying to duck under the gate and one for public urination. No aliens so far.

sig.gif
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I dunno if I'd call it a flop in that the only thing I wanted it to be was vaguely amusing and it definitely is that

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The turnout was actually pretty good for a viral internet sign up.

In Obama's first year, hundreds of thousands of bikers and then thousands of truckers signed up to flood the streets of DC and shut the city down. About twelve bikers and zero truckers showed.

Chemtrailers, 9/11 truthers, and false flaggers have had as many as 30k people sign up for events very similar to the Area 51 raid, where a group will mob a site related to the conspiracy seeking proof, and the turnout record is probably the time 15 false flaggers congregated in front of the wrong school.

That teenager who accidentally made their party invite public and millions signed up? Their friends didn't even show.

That barbecue on the front lawn of an angry vegan who was suing neighbors for eating meat? One guy showed up with no meat. And it wasn't the organizer.

If you want an accurate sign up, make people put money down. Even a few bucks, even if you refund it at the door. Because clicking an internet button is easy. Especially when it becomes a hilarious joke you aren't actually telling anyone but yourself.

Hevach on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm shocked that a raid on a domestic US military base organized on facebook turned out to be a be a waste of everyone's time.

Just shocked.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Hey so there’s an AF Base ~30 miles from the Ohio Renfest grounds. Maybe we can organize a group of jousters and jesters raiding Wright-Patterson with turkey legs.

Captain Inertia on
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    As a mild paranoid, I understand the conspiracy theorists not showing up at the rallys, no one wants to be outed as knowing too much, and next to a military base? forget it!

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    At the end of the day, none of them have any actual conviction behind their beliefs, and for good reason.

Zek on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    The date is long enough for people to cool down

Yeah the meme had already become kind of passe by the time the date of the raid rolled around. I wonder if you'd gotten a higher turnout if it had happened even a couple of weeks earlier.

That said, I'm genuinely surprised at how many people actually showed up.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

In Obama's first year, hundreds of thousands of bikers and then thousands of truckers signed up to flood the streets of DC and shut the city down. About twelve bikers and zero truckers showed.

Chemtrailers, 9/11 truthers, and false flaggers have had as many as 30k people sign up for events very similar to the Area 51 raid, where a group will mob a site related to the conspiracy seeking proof, and the turnout record is probably the time 15 false flaggers congregated in front of the wrong school.

That teenager who accidentally made their party invite public and millions signed up? Their friends didn't even show.

That barbecue on the front lawn of an angry vegan who was suing neighbors for eating meat? One guy showed up with no meat. And it wasn't the organizer.

If you want an accurate sign up, make people put money down. Even a few bucks, even if you refund it at the door. Because clicking an internet button is easy. Especially when it becomes a hilarious joke you aren't actually telling anyone but yourself.

On the flipside tho, there was that one guy who had to make like 20k$ worth of potato salad

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

I’m more amused this gained publicity outside of Australia.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    It can also go badly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_X_Haren

Thousands of drunk people, 34 arrests, national news, a public inquiry

All because a girl made her birthday party invites public.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Ouch.

But can I say that I think the Naruto style "Running" is the just the worst contribution Naruto has ever made to pop culture or culture in general. I get it, you have to have the characters run everywhere because god forbid this vague stupid Ninja series has the Main Characters ride horses or bicycles or any form of actual transport, but it is just so dumb! It is obviously unbalanced, its tiring to hold your hands like that for any lengt of time and bend at the waist reduces your ability to lift your legs.

Plus you look like a dork.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Ouch.

But can I say that I think the Naruto style "Running" is the just the worst contribution Naruto has ever made to pop culture or culture in general. I get it, you have to have the characters run everywhere because god forbid this vague stupid Ninja series has the Main Characters ride horses or bicycles or any form of actual transport, but it is just so dumb! It is obviously unbalanced, its tiring to hold your hands like that for any lengt of time and bend at the waist reduces your ability to lift your legs.

It's easier to animate, though!

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

Peas wrote: »
    The date is long enough for people to cool down

Yeah the meme had already become kind of passe by the time the date of the raid rolled around. I wonder if you'd gotten a higher turnout if it had happened even a couple of weeks earlier.

That said, I'm genuinely surprised at how many people actually showed up.

People who genuinely believe in the existence in aliens and UFO's and a conspiracy at Area 51 are probably more common and at this point more devoted than you average meme-participants. That wouldn't stop a lot of them from signing up and then not showing, but it makes sense they'd have more turnout than less enduring conspiracy/troll shit.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The idea that internet signups for anything are basically worthless has been known to political organizers for years.

And that’s for relatively mundane events, not miles of travel and camping in an actual desert.

That said I am disappointed we didn’t get grainy video of a few naruto runners getting tear gassed or something

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular

On the flipside tho, there was that one guy who had to make like 20k$ worth of potato salad

Which is kind of the point of making them put up money. That guy had potato salad at least. These guys had boredom in the desert.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Ouch.

Ninja running was a thing way before naruto (i remember seeing it first from way back in double dragon 3) and i would put money on seeing it japanese media all the way back to at least the 60s. Samurai also run in a similar manner (though hands on their sword instead of behind back/in front of face) all throughout japanese media

Edit: more information i can find is not sourced but generally comes down to “this is how people thought people would run with swords. Hunched over to lower profile from arrows. One arm in the front holds the sword. Arm in the back holds the scabbard away from the body. The pose continued as fewer and fewer characters stopped having awords

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    “this is how people thought people would run with swords."
    I guess nobody ever bothered to test it.
    Or think about it for more than 5 seconds.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Hunching over at least makes sense if you're trying to avoid getting shot.

But archers fired like artillery, with indirect fire (at least in Europe, and I assume in Japan, too). So the arrows would come in enormous volleys at a steep angle. I dunno if being hunched over would be advantageous then.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the whole thing is just a really dumb, cheap way to exaggerate character speed without spending extra money on animation. Absolutely fucking nobody runs faster by leaning way forward, but it looks faster because surely somebody like that is just so amazing that they have to lean way forward to balance out all that extra speed they've got. Olympic sprinters run upright, but that involves a lot of complex (expensive to animate) body movement.

There's potentially some realism to the pose for characters with long swords as they would need to hold the swords in place. And samurai do have charges where they angle the body in certain ways while holding drawn or sheathed swords, but that's all short-range stuff where they're taking passes at each other.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

But archers fired like artillery, with indirect fire (at least in Europe, and I assume in Japan, too). So the arrows would come in enormous volleys at a steep angle. I dunno if being hunched over would be advantageous then.
    No one in Naruto uses arrows, let alone artillery. It's basically just daggers and swords, sometimes with an explosive on it, sometimes not.

sig.gif
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    This talk of leaning forward while running reminds me of a former coworker claiming that lifting your legs up helps when doing a poop

So now all I think think of when seeing the Naruto run is people rushing to the bathroom :lol:

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    This talk of leaning forward while running reminds me of a former coworker claiming that lifting your legs up helps when doing a poop

So now all I think think of when seeing the Naruto run is people rushing to the bathroom :lol:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/search?Search=squatty+potty

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

No one in Naruto uses arrows, let alone artillery. It's basically just daggers and swords, sometimes with an explosive on it, sometimes not.

Yes but Naruto did not originate the Naruto run its just a continuation of a style made cultural touchstone before it. The run and similar runs show up in historical japanese drama even. (Though the hands in back and exaggerated leaning is much more uncommon).

wbBv3fj.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I wish Devilman running had caught on.

6fliipv2j28z.jpg

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Ouch.

Ninja running was a thing way before naruto (i remember seeing it first from way back in double dragon 3) and i would put money on seeing it japanese media all the way back to at least the 60s. Samurai also run in a similar manner (though hands on their sword instead of behind back/in front of face) all throughout japanese media

Edit: more information i can find is not sourced but generally comes down to “this is how people thought people would run with swords. Hunched over to lower profile from arrows. One arm in the front holds the sword. Arm in the back holds the scabbard away from the body. The pose continued as fewer and fewer characters stopped having awords

Well that is even dumber. You can't raise your sword hand to block anything and your head is at chopping height.

If you want speed with minimal animation, just have them do the classic hulk jump or something.

I am going to chalk this up to a japanese idiosyncrasy like doing the V sign in photos. Still think its dumb though.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    So it seems the raid is a flop. Out of two million interested people on Facebook, about 1500 showed up for the music festival, and 75 went within sight of the famous gate. Two were arrested, one for trying to duck under the gate and one for public urination. No aliens so far.

The military really patrols that area. They really make their presence known too.