As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[X-Wing] Forums Funtime Tournament [Round 2 - Start!]

ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
edited September 2019 in Critical Failures
It's been an extremely long time since there was an X-wing league on the forums, so I'm stepping up to start a new one. As there is an X-Wing thread here I'm going to be a little lazy and leave the explanation to that thread.

Officially games will be run on Vassal using the X-Wing module, but if you want to use other software or even push real fake spaceships around on a table please feel free.

I'm going to keep sign-ups open for about a week, and decide on details once I know how many people we've actually got. Please go and fill out the sign up sheet here. Players won't be required to use the same list each round, as this is going to be a very relaxed, casual tournament.
Everyone is welcome to sign-up, from people looking at playing their first games to seasoned pros. You will have a week to get your game done, and games take roughly 2 ~ 3 hours on vassal, so please keep that in mind if you sign up.

There probably won't be prizes, certainly not anything big. I think that's everything that's needed, if you have any questions please post here in the thread and I'll try to answer ASAP.
Looking forward to getting some games in, and may the force be with you.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
Chrysis on

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hyperspace, Quickbuild, or Extended for squad construction?

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Hyperspace, Quickbuild, or Extended for squad construction?

Knew I forgot something. My preference is for extended, everything available. We've got time to choose so I'll add a column to the sheet sometime today.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    We're about half way through sign-ups, and sitting at 5 participants. A clear preference for Extended, so that looks like what we'll go for at this point. I'll be closing sign-ups Saturday night for me, at 9pm (or noon GMT), and working out the first round draw then.

Alright! Signups are over and round 1 has begun! As we have 5 players, someone has to take a BYE each round. I've volunteered myself round 1, if anyone else wants to volunteer for later rounds let me know.

Round1
    @R-dem vs. @ChaosHat
    @Phoenix-D vs. @Elvenshae
    Chrysis - BYE

Deadline will be 12 noon GMT next Saturday (the 14th), or more realistically sometime the next morning when I wake up. If the games are completed quicker, I'll start the next round when every result is in. Please let me know your kill points, and post a brief battle report in the thread.

May the Force be with you!

The 21st?

I'm bad at calendars first thing in the morning.

• R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Well, crap. My computer just bricked. I'm gonna have to withdraw until I have fundage to fix it.

R-dem wrote: »
    Well, crap. My computer just bricked. I'm gonna have to withdraw until I have fundage to fix it.

Sorry to hear that. Alright, I'll swap you and I this week and drop you if needed. Good luck with the computer and hopefully next time.

edited September 2019
    @Phoenix-D and I are attempting our game tonight at 2200-ish Eastern on Vassal. I’ll drop a Discord link here, too.

EDIT: Discord link: https://discord.gg/3Uep7D

Elvenshae on
    The game is afoot!

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    And Elvenshae picks up the victory, leading three X-Wings to victory against my 2 Khiziz 2 Y-Wing squad. He lost Luke and the remaining two X-Wings had 4 HP between them but Wedge's defense debuffs carried the game.

Phoenix-D on
    Here's the squadron I ran with: Luke, Biggs, and Wedge

Couple of places where I could've made better use of R2-D2 (ended up only using him 1x this game). I also need to remember Luke's snapshot ability better.

@Phoenix-D's list was annoying; fighting it was so stressful! :D

@Chaoshat and I were supposed to maybe start our game in about an hour and a half, but I never got confirmation and they're not responding to PMs so I don't know what's going on at the moment.

And if I realized how annoying Wedge would be I would have focused fired him :D

Chaoshat never showed up, so our game probably isn't happening. Pretty frustrating.

• R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, my laptop is a total loss, but I'm probably snagging a Pi 4 soon, and hopefully will be able to participate in a later round.

I'm sorry Chaos didn't show.

OK, off to a slow start, but it's time for round 2. The new match-ups are:

1. Chrysis vs. @Elvenshae
    2. @ChaosHat vs. @Phoenix-D

@R-Dem gets another BYE, which I'm surprised Cryodex isn't freaking out about.
    Deadline will be the next weekend. Saturday or Sunday night. I can be flexible.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Hey sorry about that, had some fun mandatory overtime over the weekend so I was pretty unavailable. I will get with Phoenix and figure out a time for this week.

Elvenshae and I are getting started now on vassal if you want to come watch. Just doing setup now.

From earlier: Week 1: Phoenix-D vs. Elvenshae (W; 200 - 133)

Great match last week against Phoenix-D! As alluded to above, Viktor Hel and His Amazing Stress Machine was a right pain in the butt to deal with. I forgot to screenshot the beginning of the game, but P-D lined Hel up on the left side of the board, with his support out on the right. I think the plan was to use Hel as poisoned bait, allowing his main forces to sweep in and flank, ioning things and adding stress so that I couldn't reposition and then shoot me from behind. I figured, hey, I got some X-Wings here, they like flying slow with badguys in front of them, I'll jump up, take out Hel real quicklike, and just burn the stress with a couple rounds of blue maneuvers since I want to do that anyway before I swing around and outmaneuver his Y-Wings.

It started out okay, with an Outmaneuvering Wedge sneaking in a Range 3 closed-S-foils shot on the first turn post-boost, and Wedge + Outmaneuver = Range 3 + Stealth Device, so he didn't pick up the stress. But, after that, it didn't work so well because, as it turns out, long-range shots on an Elusive, Stealth-Deviced Hel are somewhat hard to land.

End of Round 1:
    849ci25mzx07.png
    (This is actually slightly into Round 2; CG2 has already moved.)

Round 2 saw the first hits on Hel strike home, messing up his Stealth Device and dropping his shields, but he was still alive and kicking despite taking the combined fire of all 3 X-Wings. Biggs took a hit for his buddy Wedge, sharing shields.

End of Round 2:
    5qgumfaz8crw.png

Round 3 saw Luke accidentally slide perfectly into Hel's gunsights, while Wedge had to hit the brakes to avoid slamming into the other fighter - this unfortunately prevented Wedge from splashing Viktor, and instead he launched his ion torps at the closest Y-Wing, ensuring that its dangerous ion turret would be facing the wrong way next round. The Force was with Luke, though, and he managed a Force-assisted attack as Viktor maneuvered, almost destroying the ship, and then mostly escaped from Viktor's shots, though his shields were dropped.

End of Round 3:
    i5mu3h3vyiam.png

We don't talk about what happened in Round 4.

But in Round 5! Luke and his inexplicably trashed ship managed to hold on for one more day (doing his best Monty Python impression) while his friends lit up Viktor Hel and one of the Y-Wings - Wedge taking another closed S-Foil shot, but this time able to use his ion torps! Meanwhile, Talonbane and the other Y-Wing continued to whittle down the defenses of the Rebel ships.

End of Round 5
    1utrfjbh8dki.png

Round 6 saw Wedge snap open his S-Foils and close murderously slowly on the Y-Wing in his sights, blasting it from space - at the cost of an attack from the rear by Talonbane! Meanwhile, Biggs overshot his Y-Wing target by just a tiny bit, missing his chance to have R2 pull power from the guns and redirect it to his shields. Luke continued to keep his leaking, burning, almost-falling-apart craft the hell out of the way.

End of Round 6
    q5so0d27vhac.png

Rounds 7, 8, and 9 saw the ships maneuvering for their final positions, with the Y-Wing chasing Biggs as he attempted to get back into a support position, and Wedge was content to shadow Talonbane, keeping him in front of his guns but never getting a good firing solution. Luke turned back into the fray, and and was able to score some hits on the remaining Y-Wing before ...

End of Round 7-9
    y8q7oq2vi38e.png
    wmz3zxk0bm6k.png
    dn4b8b3gcu3b.png

... he took one more hit in Round 10 and was forced to eject, hoping that his side would win out and he'd get picked up by the rescue shuttle. Meanwhile, Talonbane attempted to get some distance on Wedge, which gave the canny pilot the exact shot he needed - Talonbane's hull was nearly shredded, and his stabilizer was knocked loose! This gave the team quite a bit of breathing room, because Talonbane was unable to turn without exploding, meaning he'd have to dodge the asteroid in front of him, which would prevent him from fixing the stabilizer, which means that he'd have to proceed straight ahead for at least 2 rounds - plenty of time to finish off the Y-Wing before Talonbane could re-engage.

End of Round 10
    lpvjdl68m8h0.png

Unluckily for Talonbane, though, the damaged stabilizer prevented him from zigging, so he was forced to zag right into the asteroid. Biggs somehow managed to coax his now mostly-holes ship through the ion fire coming from the remaining Y-Wing, while Wedge put several small, key holes into it.

End of Round 11
    hoflfg8y428m.png

At last, Wedge was able to line up a kill shot, and the enemy Y-Wing blew apart into its constituent pieces.
    9m6pm9ht5ypm.png

Phoenix-D's Scum and Villainy (198) (Init)
    • Talonbane Cobra (50) (D)
      • Elusive (3)
      • Ion Missiles (4)
      • Shield Upgrade (6)
    • Viktor Hel (44) (D)
      • Elusive (3)
      • Ion Missiles (4)
      • Shield Upgrade (6)
      • Stealth Device (6)
    • Crymorah Goon (31) (D)
      • Ion Cannon Turret (5)
    • Crymorah Goon (31) (D)
      • Ion Cannon Turret (5)
    Total: 198

Elvenshae's Yavin Buddies (198)
    • Luke Skywalker (62) (D)
      • Foresight (4)
      • R3 Astromech (3)
      • Servomotor S-Foils (0)
    • Biggs Darklighter (48) (1/2)
      • R2-D2 (5)
      • Shield Upgrade (6)
      • Servomotor S-Foils (0)
    • Wedge Antilles (55) (1/2)
      • Outmaneuver (6)
      • Ion Torpedoes (6)
      • R3 Astromech (3)
      • Servomotor S-Foils (0)
    Total: 198

Week 2: Elvenshae vs. Chrysis (W; 127-101)

Nailbiter of a match that unfortunately had to end before things were resolved because it was 0-dark-thirty for Chrysis and I really needed to get to work. 1 point away from half-credit on Captain Oicunn (and the win)!

Elvenshae's Expensive Imp Ships (199) (Init)
    • Countess Ryad (82) (1/2)
      • Outmaneuver (6)
      • Fire-Control System (2)
      • Autoblasters (2)
      • Cluster Missiles (5)
    • Darth Vader (67) (D)
      • Foresight (4)
      • Fire-Control System (2)
      • Cluster Missiles (5)
      • Munitions Failsafe (1)
    • Academy Pilot (23)
    Total: 199

Chrysis's Big Bois (200)
    • Lieutenant Sai (47) (D)
      • Ion Cannon (5)
    • Captain Oicunn (74)
      • Darth Vader (14)
      • 0-0-0 (5)
      • BT-1 (2)
      • Dauntless (4)
    • Captain Feroph (47) (D)
      • Predator (2)
    Total: 200

It was a good game, especially for my first game of 2nd. Pity about the time, and I think you would have had it if we had more time. Oicunn is too slow to pin Ryad down after the initial joust, and the academy pilot can still do good damage it turns out.

... if we had more time, or if the good Countess had managed to pass her marksmanship course.

Or, you know, manged at least a D. :D

So, the time to start Round 3 has been and gone, but due in part to a bad cold I didn't feel up to thinking about it. Also no word from @ChaosHat or @Phoenix-D about their game. Did that happen? What was the result?

The last round will be myself vs. @Phoenix-D and @Elvenshae vs. @ChaosHat
    Play your game when you can and post some results in the thread.

We exchanged PMs without ever confirming a time. Busy week for us both I think

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I have completed my match with @Elvenshae and scored a victory for the Resistance! I would be open to replaying my match against anyone I missed (or anyone for any reason!) if we can work it out!