As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You wanna pizza my [movies] thread?

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Well now it makes sense of why he had to be killed by the Mandalorian

Bloods End on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I watched the We Have Always Lived In The Castle movie on Netflix last night.

It's pretty good! It's not perfect, but I mean, the book is perfect, so that would be impossible. It does an overall good job of translating the tone of Merricat to the screen, both through her narration and through her actions, and preserves a lot of like, her weird sympathetic magic and other eccentricities. Overall it was impressively close to the book, honestly - there's a change to the ending that I think makes since for the changed medium, and a few other minor things. The main cast (Taissa Farmiga, Alexandra Daddario, Sebastian Stan, and Crispin Glover) does some really good work with it, which fits the often theatrical feel of it, and there were a few exciting bit players as well.

I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you're familiar with the source material or had otherwise had your interest piqued. I think the trailers played it as a bit more action packed than it is - it's New England gothic as hell, and that means a lot of uncomfortable slow brood.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    A few more thoughts on Ad Astra.

The opening sequence is really cool. There's a panning shot that made me feel light headed for a second. Probably even better in IMAX.

No sound in space!
    the future seems quite realistic/pessimistic. Man goes reaches for the stars and everything he bring with him to space is capitalism, exploitation and war. It's not only a voyage into the darkness that's out there.

The different outposts get more and more depressing. Living on Mars seems like a nightmare, the scarcity of resources. The fucking mood/relaxation rooms.

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I watched the We Have Always Lived In The Castle movie on Netflix last night.

It's pretty good! It's not perfect, but I mean, the book is perfect, so that would be impossible. It does an overall good job of translating the tone of Merricat to the screen, both through her narration and through her actions, and preserves a lot of like, her weird sympathetic magic and other eccentricities. Overall it was impressively close to the book, honestly - there's a change to the ending that I think makes since for the changed medium, and a few other minor things. The main cast (Taissa Farmiga, Alexandra Daddario, Sebastian Stan, and Crispin Glover) does some really good work with it, which fits the often theatrical feel of it, and there were a few exciting bit players as well.

I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you're familiar with the source material or had otherwise had your interest piqued. I think the trailers played it as a bit more action packed than it is - it's New England gothic as hell, and that means a lot of uncomfortable slow brood.

I'm not familiar with the book but you just named a bunch of people I like, so I may have to check this out.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

The opening sequence is really cool. There's a panning shot that made me feel light headed for a second. Probably even better in IMAX.

No sound in space!
    the future seems quite realistic/pessimistic. Man goes reaches for the stars and everything he bring with him to space is capitalism, exploitation and war. It's not only a voyage into the darkness that's out there.

The different outposts get more and more depressing. Living on Mars seems like a nightmare, the scarcity of resources. The fucking mood/relaxation rooms.

I'll add
    Natasha Lyonne threw me out of the film aswell, it looked like she was playing her OITNB character.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

No sound in space!

I'll add
    Natasha Lyonne threw me out of the film aswell, it looked like she was playing her OITNB character.
    I watching that and Russian Doll I think that's just how Lyonne is, but yeah, that was a bit left field

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The quality order of Indiana Jones movies is the same as the release order of Indiana Jones movies.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    in what possible way is Temple of Doom better than Last Crusade??

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Eh. Last Crusade is the top to bottom better film, but Temple was more ambitious and has, arguably, the best set piece in the series. I'd rank it higher for that alone if it wasn't for the parts that super don't hold up.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Last Crusade has Indy accidentally getting an autograph from Hitler.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    We named the dog Indiana!!

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Last Crusade is a little too Raiders rehash. And also maybe has a little too much of Lucas trying to make things funny, which he got to do unchecked in the SEs and PT.

It's close, though. Like 2 and 2A.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Temple of doom is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen probably worse than Serbian film.

Quire.jpg
    I would prefer to watch a 15 hour directors cut of Crystal skull then sit through the trailer of Temple of doom.

Quire.jpg
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the last crusade is raiders, but better

which is why it's best

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    I decided to use this upcoming October/spooky season to catch up on horror movies that have come out recently -- say, like, the last two years -- that I've missed, and I'm looking for a few recommendations. Looking back through 2018 and so far this year, I'm pretty sure I've only gotten around to seeing Us, Hereditary and Midsommar, and I don't think I've seen any that came out in 2017. I'd like to fix this.

So, if it's not too much trouble, what what's been good in horror recently?

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Temple of doom is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen probably worse than Serbian film.

Trendsetter baybeeee

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I do like temple of doom though

Last Crusade is my absolute favourite of the films, everything about it right down to the Grail theme music. Raiders is obviously great but it's a first start whereas I feel Crusade is the rounded package. I've not watched Temple often but I'm not a fan. Probably not best to project your failing relationships onto your films. I don't hate skull because...its a fucking film, but it is a bad movie. Old Man Ford just isn't what Indy was about, rugged pulp adventurer with energy and charm, the overuse of CGI when it wasn't needed, and the underuse of practical locations when it was. And people write off criticism of the aliens with him finding at least two literal relics proving the existence of God, but those are established in the lore of the film's, the tone, the setting, etc. It just didn't fit the Indiana style that I was used to.

People can like it of course, but I just felt it was completely the wrong series for it.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    in what possible way is Temple of Doom better than Last Crusade??

Short Round

“What’s that?”
    “Antidote.”
    “To what?”
    “To the poison you just drank, Dr. Jones!”

This VFX shot:

Admittedly, I think Last Crusade is garbage. But I guess it’s been long enough that I should watch it again to see if I’ve changed my mind, though I doubt it.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I really love 40 and 50s weird scifi so crystal skull is absolutely my jam.

Brainleech wrote: »
    I do like temple of doom though

I have tried to watch it like five separate times and I always check out mentally within half an hour I just find it dull.

Quire.jpg
    Temple of doom is boring, sexist AND racist, the last two at much higher levels than the rest of them

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I like that uncharted copies indiana jones beat by beat but each entry has an opposite level of reception to its counterpart

PNk1Ml4.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    I like that uncharted copies indiana jones beat by beat but each entry has an opposite level of reception to its counterpart
    I am the weirdo who loves both Last Crusade and Uncharted 3

CYpGAPn.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I still like Temple of Doom, but even I have to admit it's not a great flick

I'd still watch it before I watched Crystal Skull, if only because I find Crystal Skull extremely boring with a terrible ending that barely makes sense

(also it completely wastes John Hurt which really just bothers me, how do you cast an actor that good and make him catatonic for 95% of your movie)

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Temple of doom is boring, sexist AND racist, the last two at much higher levels than the rest of them

Oh yes it is also all of those things. I’m sure I’d remember if I could make it out of the cold open awake.

Seriously I know Crystal skull has the dreadful cgi and they don’t handle the alien staying in the best possible way and the whole thing with Marion is frought if you think about it at all but there is a lot of fun to be had with that movie.

Quire.jpg
    I feel like any movie is immune to being called “boring” if it has that mine cart sequence. That shit was wild in the theater.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I just can't stand by the Last Crusade being better than Raiders

Last Crusade rules, don't get me wrong

But Raiders has some teeth to it in a way that I really liked

The Ark is, in and of itself, scary, everything about the movie really hammers that home

The Grail is...fine, as far as macguffins go

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    I am the weirdo who loves both Last Crusade and Uncharted 3

Uncharted 3 is outdone by both 2 and 4. Otherwise, it's a fun game to play through.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Also the Tank chase is trying so hard to be the Truck chase from Raiders, and while good, isn't nearly as good as that

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    remove the monkey scene and the ending and crystal skull is probably fine

those two scenes are absolute dogshit and practically ruin the movie with how aggressively garbage they are

but the motorcycle chase/greaser fight and the tomb exploring and gunfighting commies are all very good

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Of all the Indiana Jones ladies, Dr. Schneider is my favourite despite her allegiances. She's smart, brave, and the only time she screams is a totally reasonable situation (stuck under a casket, surrounded by rats fleeing from an underground sewer.)

She's also the reason Jones Sr. gives one of his most understated quotes "She talks in her sleep"

Muzzmuzz on
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    ya'll

check out villains while you can

judging by the like 5 people at the showing i got out of, it ain't gonna have a long theatrical run and it just begs to have an audience with you reacting to the black humor punctuations sprinkled throughout

also jeffrey donovan has this mustache

5uqk0exkds7v.jpg

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    There is a scene in Crystal Skull where a snake is used as a rope to haul a grown man out of quicksand and it makes me uncomfortable that would not work you would simply ruin a snake to no purpose

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    There is a scene in Crystal Skull where a snake is used as a rope to haul a grown man out of quicksand and it makes me uncomfortable that would not work you would simply ruin a snake to no purpose

Lazy callbacks. Why did it have to be lazy callbacks.

Put Donovan into something where he is playing Guy Pearce’s brother, stat!

Fawst wrote: »
    I feel like any movie is immune to being called “boring” if it has that mine cart sequence. That shit was wild in the theater.

One exciting sequence doesnt make a movie not boring!

Michael Bay is your proof

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Boring is a... boring criticism. Because it is 100% countered by a different person saying "I was excited and engaged throughout." Someone could claim that they found Mad Max: Fury Road boring. I would wildly disagree, but I can't really say they didn't actually feel that way. Talking specifically about the pacing or where the action scenes bog down is where it's more productive to discuss.

Boring is a... boring criticism. Because it is 100% countered by a different person saying "I was excited and engaged throughout." Someone could claim that they found Mad Max: Fury Road boring. I would wildly disagree, but I can't really say they didn't actually feel that way. Talking specifically about the pacing or where the action scenes bog down is where it's more productive to discuss.

Sometimes you just say an opinion and you dont need to be "productive"

It can just be fun to share opinions

If you find a movie boring that's fine and it's fine to share it

(Fury Road is boooooring)

This discussion has been closed.