As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [RUGBY] World Cup is on yet we have no thread

Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton DrEdinburghRegistered User regular
OMG! The Rugby World Cup started yesterday yet I've been so slack I didn't create a thread.

UNTIL NOW!

We've just had day 2 and three cracking matches today along with Japan's nervy victory yesterday.

So what shall we expect to come? Who Knows? This is the most open World Cup ever (TM).

And that's because every contender has problems
New Zealand (back to back winners of the previous World Cups) have got a weird desire to win in a certain way which is exposing them to completely unnecessary risk.
Australia have been absolutely grim over the last two years but ironically by losing their best fullback they've fixed some of their personnel problems in the backline
England would be favourites to win the Worlds Cup if Rugby was a 40 minute match but unfortunately for them it's an 80 minute game and their player blow up in the second half every time. Also their back three is a defensive nightmare.
Wales would win every game if it conforms to a very specific schedule of a grim 80 minute dog fight of smothering defence where they constantly keep their noses in front but if the opponents can open up Wales don't have an answer.
Ireland have the world's most boring yet effective possession based game plan that makes Wales look exciting but they rely on a defensive structure that can be exploited out wide and a breakdown structure the relies on sympathetic reffing and they only have a single competent fullback in the ageing Kearny.
South Africa, probably actually the team with the best all round chance, good bunch of thuggish mobile forwards, electricity in the backline, pragmatic grim coach. My tip for the Cup.

Quick Reminder - The Rest of the World has caught up with me and understands that Leone Nakawara is liquid rugby. Lets watch some highlights of Leone Nakawara
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QhElIF72MY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dju0OJDVa8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsTs-Kgtm40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFPJyxEGA54

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.

• Options
    THAC0THAC0 Registered User regular
    It's been a cracking opening to the cup. Yesterday's games were great. The France - Argentina was definitely my favourite game so far. So loud, it was great to hear. I think Japan has turned out to be a great host for the world cup.

Before the matches started I would have picked South Africa to take the whole thing and don't think too much has changed that opinion after seeing them play yesterday despite the loss. They just look fierce this year.

• Options
    I'm keen to see Ireland play today. Outside of highlight reels I have not seem them play for a while but what I am really looking forward to is England v USA on Thursday. If the US can play with the same energy they usually do it will be a fun game to watch.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Namibia have hot some bangers in the forwards. Can they keep this up in the second half?

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    I had some question about the officiating in the Aus-Fiji games such as "why the fuck was the Aus winger not red carded for that shoulder to the head" and "is it possible for Aus to be pinged at the Ruck"

An example.

• Options
    The hit on Yato was pretty bad made even worse by the fact he had been rampaging in the game up that point.

• Options
    THAC0 wrote: »
    The hit on Yato was pretty bad made even worse by the fact he had been rampaging in the game up that point.

He's been cited for it.

• Options
    Scotland utter garbage in losing to Ireland.

• Options
    Well, I got to see Ireland play. It feels like every time Scotland got the ball it would just fizzle out.

England looked good in theory but so many simple knock ons.

• Options
    Just got to catch up on the Georgia-Wales game. Really enjoyable to watch game. Great to see the smaller side give up on the box kick and switch over to pure forward power. If this pool continues to play like this we should get some good games out of it.

Also I have noticed a few of these floating around the web and they are just beautiful to watch the game from these angles even if they are heavily virtualised.

More of them can be found here and they are just awesome.
    https://global.canon/en/event/rwc2019/special/viewpoint.html

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    All the games are on at silly o'clock in the morning over here, so I've had to settle for the official replays on youtube. Props to the rugby world cup team for doing replay specific commentary, as opposed to just splicing together footage and audio from the broadcast and leaving it at that.

And, of course, Ireland off to a fine start is something I'll gladly take. I predict we'll go all the way to the quarter finals, before getting bounced out.
    Such is our lot in life.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    New Zealand (back to back winners of the previous World Cups) have got a weird desire to win in a certain way which is exposing them to completely unnecessary risk.

Would you mind explaining this more fully? I love rugby, but I would like to understand it much better than I do.

• Options
    Bhow wrote: »

Would you mind explaining this more fully? I love rugby, but I would like to understand it much better than I do.

New Zealand have always had, often in a very low key manner, a pack of brutal, violent, scrotum ripping forwards.
    Their incredible ball playing skills hid the fact that they could also tear you limb from limb, and frequently did.

New Zealand have always had the ability to punish mistakes, no side is better on capitalising on seizing on a loose ball and turning it into a try. nO side has been better at standing off ruck after ruck in defence and then piling in on that one key ruck to win the turnover. They win that turnover with the limb ripping ability.

Over the last 4 years Hansen has forgotten that New Zealand is based around murderous forward play. Instead he wants to win the game with sublime wide ball play. New Zealand has been at the fore front of sophisticated pod play from Graham Henry onwards. Hansen has developed an extremely wide pod structure that allows New Zealand to play the widest game possible. But it makes them predictable. And it robs them of the ability to just pick and go up the field, brutalising the opposition.

They are in effect a caricature of what an unsophisticated viewer would think New Zealand play like. When it works they look unstoppable, when it fails they look impotent.

They don't look after the ball any more, they don't value evil forwards. Kaino won the world cup in 2011 and 2015. He wasn't in the side for his sublime ball playing ability. More for his ability to murder.

• Options
    Incidentally the reason Ireland went I to this world cup ranked 1 in the world is because they haven't forgotten rugby is won by having murderous forwards. Their problem is an all or nothing defensive setup

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    the aforementioned official extended replays have been my first foray into rugby.

aka a quite honestly fascinating sport I would never in a million years have even considered trying out even back when I was young and dumb.

it is enjoyable to watch and not in a NFL see big hits all the time kind of way but still in a way that makes me wonder how a person would do that to himself. For quite an extended period of time for a game and I suspect many many years before.

It also seems mostly good-natured and, quite honestly, amicable and regulated which I did not expect.

Incredibly unpopular in Germany. Like I would struggle to find a less popular sport over here.

scherbchen on
  • Options
    Bhow wrote: »

New Zealand have always had, often in a very low key manner, a pack of brutal, violent, scrotum ripping forwards.
    Their incredible ball playing skills hid the fact that they could also tear you limb from limb, and frequently did.

New Zealand have always had the ability to punish mistakes, no side is better on capitalising on seizing on a loose ball and turning it into a try. nO side has been better at standing off ruck after ruck in defence and then piling in on that one key ruck to win the turnover. They win that turnover with the limb ripping ability.

Over the last 4 years Hansen has forgotten that New Zealand is based around murderous forward play. Instead he wants to win the game with sublime wide ball play. New Zealand has been at the fore front of sophisticated pod play from Graham Henry onwards. Hansen has developed an extremely wide pod structure that allows New Zealand to play the widest game possible. But it makes them predictable. And it robs them of the ability to just pick and go up the field, brutalising the opposition.

They are in effect a caricature of what an unsophisticated viewer would think New Zealand play like. When it works they look unstoppable, when it fails they look impotent.

They don't look after the ball any more, they don't value evil forwards. Kaino won the world cup in 2011 and 2015. He wasn't in the side for his sublime ball playing ability. More for his ability to murder.

I'd add to this that it leaves the All Blacks really succeptible to pressure. When things turn against their desired flow of play they have started to really struggle to bring the game under their control for the last two years. They are still a class team but not nearly as unbeatable as before.

I can see a team like England shutting them down in short order. They remind me a lot of early 2000s Australia. Eddie Jones will do that though.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    scherbchen wrote: »
    it is enjoyable to watch and not in a NFL see big hits all the time kind of way but still in a way that makes me wonder how a person would do that to himself. For quite an extended period of time for a game and I suspect many many years before.

It also seems mostly good-natured and, quite honestly, amicable and regulated which I did not expect.

In my experience the hits can leave you a little sore but generally it's fine. Players get drilled at the early club level to bring down opponents efficiently as it gives you the best opportunity to keep going in defence (the game keeps going after the tackle is made instead of having a reset of the play) and is least likely to hurt you as the tackler. And it turns out the most efficient way to stop someone running is to make sure they can't use their legs. So hitting around the hips with your head to there side/butt works wonders if you can do it. Trying to stop someone from above that means you have to be either much stronger then them or have a lot of momentum and has a higher risk of injuries to both players. The most common bad injury you see at international level in my experience is two guys hitting at full height and smashing their heads together.

Having said all that the hits at international level are gonna be a lot harder then your average club.

THAC0 on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    the aforementioned official extended replays have been my first foray into rugby.

aka a quite honestly fascinating sport I would never in a million years have even considered trying out even back when I was young and dumb.

Incredibly unpopular in Germany. Like I would struggle to find a less popular sport over here.

Cricket and Baseball?

honovere on
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Cricket and Baseball?

a cursory google reasearch reveals people in Germany being members of the national association of:

Cricket: 6000
    Rugby: 15311
    Baseball: 22500

So yeah, Cricket. Also, surprisingly Curling with less than 800 members.

• Options
    If you are not watching Uruguay vs Fiji just now then do you even like Rugby.

Cracking match so far

• Options
    And that is what we call rugby.

Epic.

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    I watched Uruguay-Fiji over breakfast this morning, struggling to comprehend what I was watching through my morning stupor. I'll always enjoy watching Fiji, given their commitment to running rugby, but my God. It amazes me Uruguay are competitive in football, their favourite sport, given the size of the their nation. This isn't quite on the level of Japan/South Africa, but its not far off.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I watched Uruguay-Fiji over breakfast this morning, struggling to comprehend what I was watching through my morning stupor. I'll always enjoy watching Fiji, given their commitment to running rugby, but my God. It amazes me Uruguay are competitive in football, their favourite sport, given the size of the their nation. This isn't quite on the level of Japan/South Africa, but its not far off.

As a Scotland fan I instinctively understood what was going on. The heavy favourites playing in white who arrogantly took the field thinking they deserved to win were ambushed by the plucky under dog playing in blue who gave it their all.

I had to restrain myself from reflexively shouting "Have some of that you arrogant English bastards" at one point after a great Uruguayan tackle.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    And that is what we call rugby.

Epic.

So glad I avoided the result until I had a chance to watch this tonight. What a great result for Uruguay.

• Options
    Well, I did pay for TSN so I could watch the rugby, nobody said I had to wait until I get home to start doing it.....

*narrators voice* And that's how a company wide ban on watching rugby during work hours was added to the employee handbook.

sig.gif
  • Options
    So far the England forward pack are just too huge for the US. The scrum and rolling mual are just shutting them down.

• Options
    It's a little weird seeing Italy being the ones handing out an arsekicking.

sig.gif
  • Options
    It's happening!

• Options
    edited September 2019
    The worst possible result for Scotland but fuck yeah. Awesome.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    Ireland have the world's most boring yet effective possession based game plan that makes Wales look exciting but they rely on a defensive structure that can be exploited out wide and a breakdown structure the relies on sympathetic reffing and they only have a single competent fullback in the ageing Kearny.

I'm not saying I'm a genius but I'm a genius.

POM and Stander were taken out of the game.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Come on, Japan! Absolute beauties.

Dominated Ireland for 60 minutes. Perfect rugby apart from their out of hand kicking which was crap.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Come on, Japan! Absolute beauties.

Dominated Ireland for 60 minutes. Perfect rugby apart from their out of hand kicking which was crap.

Let's not get silly here.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Just caught up to the Japan game. What a great world cup! Japan's scrums where huge. Just steady as a rock.

Just wow so awesome.

• Options
    Poor Uruguay look exhausted today. Doing their best here but just can't keep up with the Georgians. Georgia putting in a good game.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Go Wales!

• Options
    I can't pick a winner for this. My head says Wales but the Wallabies have knack for pulling off big performances when they need it

• Options
    Will Australia learn how to stop a player without a shoulder by the end of this game? Time will tell.

• Options
    OK that fend penalty is ridiculous. I think the welsh are confused by this even

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Not sure about that penalty and Wales makes them pay :/

• Options
    The intercept try was read beautifully though