As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Ritual is [Chat]

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Dawn of War: Winter Assault with dead body persistence on max.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Which Dawn of War 1 expansion was the really terrible one?
    Honk wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Pythagoreans were weird as heck.

I don’t know what they are but I got an image of a math cult doing human sacrifice to please divine theorems and I’m into it.
    https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pythagoreanism/
    The most romantic aspect of the tradition concerning Hippasus is the report that he drowned at sea in punishment for the impiety of making public and giving a diagram of the dodecahedron, a figure with twelve surfaces each in the shape of a regular pentagon (Iamblichus, VP 88). This is best understood as reflecting some sort of mathematical analysis of the dodecahedron by Hippasus, but it is implausible in terms of the history of Greek mathematics to suppose that he carried out a strict construction of the dodecahedron, which along with the other four regular solids is most likely to have first received rigorous treatment by Theaetetus in the fourth century BCE (Mueller 1997, 277; Waterhouse 1972; Sachs1917, 82). Nor is it clear why public presentation of technical mathematical analysis should cause a scandal, since few people would understand it. The most likely explanation is that the dodecahedron was a cult object for the Pythagoreans (dodecahedra in stone and bronze have been found dating back to prehistoric times) and that it was because of these religious connections that Hippasus’ public work on the mathematical aspects of the solid was seen as impious (Burkert 1972a, 460).

Another late story, which appears first in Plutarch, reports a scandal which arose when knowledge of irrational magnitudes was revealed, without specifying any punishment for the one who revealed it (Numa 22). In Pappus’ later version of the story, the person who first spread knowledge of the existence of the irrational was punished by drowning (Junge and Thomson 1930, 63–64). Iamblichus knows two different versions of the story, one according to which the malefactor was banished and a tomb was erected for him, signifying his expulsion from the community (VP 246), but another according to which he was punished by drowning as was the person (not specifically said to be Hippasus here) who revealed the dodecahedron (VP 247). Modern scholars have tried to combine the two stories and suppose that Hippasus discovered the irrational through his work on the dodecahedron (von Fritz 1945). This is pure speculation, however, since neither does any ancient source connect Hippasus to the discovery of the irrational nor does any source relate the discovery of the irrational to the dodecahedron (Burkert 1972a, 459). Some scholars nonetheless credit Hippasus with the discovery of irrationality (Zhmud 2012a, 274–278).

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Which Dawn of War 1 expansion was the really terrible one?

Probably Soulstorm? I liked it because it finally had Dark Eldar, but it was pretty much just a worse Dark Crusade.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    My hatred of painting is the only thing to keep me from indulging in warhammer, and what would be a 200 dollar a month habit. Like cocaine but with a lower chance of STIs.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    My only magic gemstone is a lapis lazuli given to me by a hippie girl and I’ve decided that if anyone is magic she is.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    My hatred of painting is the only thing to keep me from indulging in warhammer, and what would be a 200 dollar a month habit. Like cocaine but with a lower chance of STIs.

I mean you can pay people to paint for you. Or use contrast. Man that stuff makes painting easier.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    credeiki speaking of which did u survive your techno night

Clearly since they aren’t answering you at 11am the morning after they did not survive

fuck gendered marketing
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I think

I think I had too much whiskey this week

Roughly 3 liters in 5 days

P alright yeah?

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

are you sniffing cocaine from inside people's genitals

Umm that's a lot of whiskey.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Seriously though it is completely rational to pray to math

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

That's what I thought!

It was 5 days with old friends at a cabin on the river so I said fuck it

Are you not?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    the nights aren't darkening they're already dark

an incredibly dull unchanging black most of the night

boo

I’m glad I’ve only ever visited your part of the world in the not dark times

well you guys have those kinds of nights all of the year

ftOqU21.png

That is approximately my annual whiskey intake

And I like whiskey

fuck gendered marketing

Are you not?

If there is any other way to do cocaine I need to have a stern conversation with some friends of mine

Elldren wrote: »

That is approximately my annual whiskey intake

And I like whiskey

It is also my annual whiskey intake

Because I probably wont have any more for the rest of the year

okay I think we will do chili and cornbread today, and pretend like it's autumn

sXZgFYX.jpg

>:[

And here I sit

Overestimated traffic delay and I have 2 hours to mull about Reagan national

edited September 2019
    okay I think we will do chili and cornbread today, and pretend like it's autumn

sXZgFYX.jpg

>:[

"Autumn" is a made up season created by Big Lawn to sell rakes

jungleroomx on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    heresey! ten is sacred but only the ten sefirot!

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    And here I sit

Have some whiskey while you wait

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    my doggy loves my mom so much, she reacts more insanely for her than for me or my father (she lives with me and my dad, not my mom, and my mom visiting often means she gets to go play with my mom's dogs)

it makes me feel a little bad sometimes!

Our blossom likes my husband More than me T-T

Vanguard wrote: »
    And here I sit

Have some whiskey while you wait

My stomach actually lurched in response to that

All this talk in politics threads about m4a and I keep mentally appending 3e8...

Tanks are cool

fuck gendered marketing
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Going to get some poached eggs over corn beef hash at al’s breakfast then shop for books and records and then get a juicy Lucy at matt’s And then maybe a tiki cocktail at psycho suzi’s before dinner

Going to get some poached eggs over corn beef hash at al’s breakfast then shop for books and records and then get a juicy Lucy at matt’s And then maybe a tiki cocktail at psycho suzi’s before dinner

this all sounds great and esp brekkie

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    My only magic gemstone is a lapis lazuli given to me by a hippie girl and I’ve decided that if anyone is magic she is.

I need some magical bismuth...

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

I need some magical bismuth...

AKA Regular bismuth

Rate my rig
    eg9wagfp8dqc.jpg

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

this sounds like a Frank O'Hara poem
    Neon in daylight is a
    great pleasure, as Edwin Denby would
    write, as are light bulbs in daylight.
    I stop for a cheeseburger at JULIET'S
    CORNER. Giulietta Masina, wife of
    Federico Fellini, e bell' attrice.

And chocolate malted. A lady in
    foxes on such a day puts her poodle
    in a cab.

There are several Puerto
    Ricans on the avenue today, which
    makes it beautiful and warm. First
    Bunny died, then John Latouche,
    then Jackson Pollock. But is the
    earth as full as life was full, of them?
    And one has eaten and one walks,
    past the magazines with nudes
    and the posters for BULLFIGHT and
    the Manhattan Storage Warehouse,
    which they'll soon tear down. I
    used to think they had the Armory
    Show there.

A glass of papaya juice
    and back to work. My heart is in my
    pocket, it is Poems by Pierre Reverdy.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Airy

Kadoken wrote: »
    Airy

Air flow keeps the temps low

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    credeiki speaking of which did u survive your techno night

Clearly since they aren’t answering you at 11am the morning after they did not survive

Cred went on Friday night tho so maybe they did not

poo
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    7/10, sound dampening could be better but points for no RGB light show.

Eddy wrote: »

this sounds like a Frank O'Hara poem
    Neon in daylight is a
    great pleasure, as Edwin Denby would
    write, as are light bulbs in daylight.
    I stop for a cheeseburger at JULIET'S
    CORNER. Giulietta Masina, wife of
    Federico Fellini, e bell' attrice.

And chocolate malted. A lady in
    foxes on such a day puts her poodle
    in a cab.

There are several Puerto
    Ricans on the avenue today, which
    makes it beautiful and warm. First
    Bunny died, then John Latouche,
    then Jackson Pollock. But is the
    earth as full as life was full, of them?
    And one has eaten and one walks,
    past the magazines with nudes
    and the posters for BULLFIGHT and
    the Manhattan Storage Warehouse,
    which they'll soon tear down. I
    used to think they had the Armory
    Show there.

A glass of papaya juice
    and back to work. My heart is in my
    pocket, it is Poems by Pierre Reverdy.

“A Step Away From Them” is great

This Bloody Mary tastes like spicy vodka

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    i thought i wasnt tired after holiday but i just took a 5 hour whoopsies nap so guess i was very very tired

Elki wrote: »
    That’s a bullshit renovation

This discussion has been closed.