As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bicycle Thread Is Coming Your Way

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I’ve got a folding bike lock that I use that’s not failed me yet. My building is full of bureaucrats and doctors and the public can’t access the car park, so I’m not that worried.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I kind of want to offer this guy 700 for this:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/d/costa-mesa-kona-stinky-air/6948448126.html

It's a 2008

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I’ve got a folding bike lock that I use that’s not failed me yet. My building is full of bureaucrats and doctors and the public can’t access the car park, so I’m not that worried.

My breakroom is full of doctors and nurses and of course the cleaning staff. Didn't stop my $200 stethoscope with my name on it from going missing. That being said I don't think any one of them is enough of a dirtbag to go for anything but a crime of opportunity. That's just a lot of bike that I wouldn't feel safe without anything but the most secure lock.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I kind of want to offer this guy 700 for this:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/d/costa-mesa-kona-stinky-air/6948448126.html

It's a 2008

That’s quite the hunk of metal there. Looks nice.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It'd probably want the wheels re-spoking, but that's not a huge expense.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    A case of I should have looked into it
    So I did a grocery run but on the way home I popped the innertube again. I thought it was due to a sticker plant but this is the 2nd time it's happened so I looked it up and yeah the Goodyear innertubes have a habit of blowing up

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Because I'm insufferably hipster I've been haunting Blue Lug and Crust Bikes on Instagram and it's really

I just

I already have two bicycles

E: Also I came in here to say that I swapped my commuter bike flats for a set of Shimano M-324's and the DZR waterproof H20's since it routinely torrentially downpours here. So far I'm... not really sold on it being a better experience than flats, but I haven't full-on eaten pavement yet. I did nearly fail to unclip while being flagged over by the LTR (transit authority) doing a Bicycle Path Safety Awareness stop, which was hilarious. They were like "Make sure you stay under 25km an hour and keep those lights on at night!" and I was like "Thanks but shouldn't you be more worried about the fact that I nearly ran you over at a leisurely 11km/hr because I couldn't get my feet out of the pedals fast enough?"

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wow damn those Crust bikes are pricey! You can get a modern full-carbon bike for less than that!

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    This is a bike route in a city near me. Just..what.

Bothell dares you brave the Double Door Bike Gauntlet! (Seriously, wtf, there are several blocks of these, both sides of the road.) pic.twitter.com/ohls6bmNEQ

...doors on both sides, check. Cobblestone, check. It's not the worst lane I've seen but not for lack of trying!

I think they just put a bike route through a parking lot?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Seems reasonably wide and concrete paver is fine to drive on?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The pavers are ok, but it's definitely a recipe for getting clocked by a careless driver or passenger. Possibly both at the same time.

• Options
  • Options
    I know the bike paths are full of large cracks and overran with weeds and grass here {one of the reasons I feel the city/county/state are flat broke} I see people riding in the street which is questionable to begin with let alone with traffic on some of the busier streets

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    God triathlons looks like so much work.

Give me a night time fixie race where you throw up and you're not sure if it's because of the peddling or the tall can you shotgunned before the start any day.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Bothell dares you brave the Double Door Bike Gauntlet! (Seriously, wtf, there are several blocks of these, both sides of the road.) pic.twitter.com/ohls6bmNEQ

...doors on both sides, check. Cobblestone, check. It's not the worst lane I've seen but not for lack of trying!

Looks like you should be fine riding down the center?

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Oblivious pedestrians could step out of literally anywhere

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    They've added a bike lane to the busiest shopping street near my work. Which is nominally great! It goes
    |               | car   |            |  
    |    road       | park  |    bike    |  footpath
    |               | lane  |            |  

I have had more near miss collisions there than anywhere else in the city, sometimes due to passengers swinging a door open, but more often due to pedestrians just wandering into the bike lane without looking, or treating it as an extension of the footpath. There's a lot of visual cues on the ground that this is an active cycling lane (like the curb, plus it's painted green for fucks sake), but none at eye height. And because very few other roads anywhere in Boston have this arrangement, people just don't realise that they need to watch out. Add to that, the cars block cyclists from view for pedestrians crossing from the road direction.

I think it's different in heavy cycling cultures, or one where separated lanes are more normalized.

tynic on
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »

Oblivious pedestrians could step out of literally anywhere

That's why I continually scream when I'm riding down populated areas.

• Options
    Cathode Ray TubeCathode Ray Tube Registered User regular
    Did my biggest ride ever this August. 225 miles across Wisconsin in a well supported ride. Not only was it my longest ride ever but I recorded my fastest average speed ever also. Heck, I even beat Jens Voite up a hill.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    They've added a bike lane to the busiest shopping street near my work. Which is nominally great! It goes
    |               | car   |            |  
    |    road       | park  |    bike    |  footpath
    |               | lane  |            |  

I have had more near miss collisions there than anywhere else in the city, sometimes due to passengers swinging a door open, but more often due to pedestrians just wandering into the bike lane without looking, or treating it as an extension of the footpath. There's a lot of visual cues on the ground that this is an active cycling lane (like the curb, plus it's painted green for fucks sake), but none at eye height. And because very few other roads anywhere in Boston have this arrangement, people just don't realise that they need to watch out. Add to that, the cars block cyclists from view for pedestrians crossing from the road direction.

I think it's different in heavy cycling cultures, or one where separated lanes are more normalized.

They have that setup in parts of downtown Austin and it's exactly the same problem.

In Singapore there are a fair number of places along the designated PCN paths where there is a regular walking path, then a grass median, then the demarkated PCN path. These aren't always covered in signs saying "SHARE THE PATH, SIGNAL WHEN OVERTAKING, STAY LEFT" but they are a fair amount of the time. The rest of the time it's still marked PCN on the pavement for the shared path, but it doesn't help -pedestrians still meander aimlessly across and along the cycle path.

I'm moooostly tolerant of it except when they are totally oblivious to my bell and "BIKE!" calling and then look offended and upset when I come up on them, which I NEVER do without decreasing my speed if I think there's a chance they haven't noticed me.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Wife and I finally got bikes. I got this guy:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J7J40TM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Question though, how do I make sure my seat is the right height? At the lowest it'll go its way too low and my knees come up to my torso when I bike

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Wife and I finally got bikes. I got this guy:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J7J40TM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Question though, how do I make sure my seat is the right height? At the lowest it'll go its way too low and my knees come up to my torso when I bike

The top should be level with your hips.

• Options
    I do the heels on pedal method. You should be able to almost fully extend riding on your heels. It's not exact, do fine adjustments based on feel.

• Options
    Fat tyre bikes have a lot of rolling resistance to overcome, so you're going to want to be able to extract maximum power out of your stroke. TheStig's suggestion is pretty much spot on - you're gonna want your legs as straight as possible.

• Options
    36 miles riding on this ass zit in the worst possible spot these past 2 days.

• Options
    You should get a bike instead.

• Options
    What are a good set of 29" mountain bike tires as I have destroyed the ones I can buy around here
    Also if I get one of the anti thorn liners what would be a good one?

• Options
    idk about mountain bike tires but my continental gator hardshells are indestructible. We just had a real stormy weekend here and there are trees and shit all in the street. Rolled through it all going pretty fast on my roadbike this week with no problems. So I'd trust whatever their 29" mountainbike version of that was.

• Options
    The reason I ask is the city poorly takes care of the bike paths they are overran with sticker plants and I have lost 5 innertubes to either poor craftmanship or to stickers. The bike paths are also poorly maintained as they have wide cracks {there is one crack that will knock my bike out of gear when you hit it I have never had this happen before} The streets are weed free but just as bad {still I am curious about the slowly growing hump at one intersection} I will not ride in the street if I can avoid it
    I was using the Goodyear ones till I found out that they will just come undone for any reason {this is true}

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    What are a good set of 29" mountain bike tires as I have destroyed the ones I can buy around here

Thorn Busters are meant to be pretty great tyre liners: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CRPOMGS

As for tyres I am so impressed by the (26 inch) tyres on my bike I can't not recommend something similar in 29 inches from the same brand: https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/bicycle/cross-country-marathon/booster-pro/

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Depends on terrain - ask around your local shop for what's good there. What's good in New England mud is not good on Utah rock

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I've used Mr.Tuffy tire liners and they're fine; seconding the recommendation for Continental Gatorskins in whatever form factor you're after, those things seem pretty indestructible. (hm, looks like they don't make a knobbly version, but I would generally trust their "puncture resistant" MTB tires, based on their road tires)

• Options
    Hmm the Gatorskins used by my best friend and by me on a loaner bike are Not Good for mountain/trail, in my opinion. The lack of tread means that unless you decelerate a bunch or are a fucking wizard at rebalancing and not slipping, they skid like crazy the second you hit dirt, sand, gravel or loose soil. My bestie literally ate face because we went on a slight curb in a gravel-coated construction zone and my experience on them was the same. Very, very slippy on trails.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Look who's back at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAEBNEscL0c

edit: "I thought Santa Cruz didn't make trials bikes?", I hear you say. Turns out they do, but only the one, for Danny Mackaskill.

Which involved an interesting method to repair it, given they made it in the USA, but he broke it riding it in Glasgow:
    scb_web_dmac_oven.jpg?itok=VBdNqndi

djmitchella on
  • Options
    Ayyyyy so

This year instead of the Four Rivers trail in Korea we're going to do the Appalachian Gravel Growler trail in Pisgah National Forest. My Surly LHT is my favourite bike I've ever ridden, but it's definitely built for pavement touring with a bit of gravel/dirt rather than singletrack/mountain trails, and this route's description is below:
    Finishing the ride in five days requires just under 5,000 feet of climbing per day, for which a solid level of fitness is mandatory. Generally speaking, there’s not too much technical riding, save for a short (but steep) descent through a power line cut. Part of that section requires a brief hike-a-bike due to the steep and rocky terrain. There are also two singletrack segments that are rooty at times, and one of them has a couple stream crossings.

Sooo I'm thinking of, you know, solving this problem logically by buying a new bike. Specifically a Surly Karate Monkey is my frontrunner candidate at the mo - thing is I'm also thinking maybe I'll do a bit more of a custom setup than I did with my LHT? Does anyone have any bikepacking/MTB fork and dropper post recommendations? What about headset? If I'm going to be doing bikepacking rather than true singletrack/DH I'm also not sure whether flat bars or drop bars will be better...

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I tried changing the chain on my bike. I figured it couldn't be that difficult, but apparently I don't know what I'm doing.

I thought I had the right chain length, but couldn't get it around both the front and back gears. So I figured I had made it one link too short went back to the store for extra chain links. Turns out inserting another link makes the chain too loose to be functional.

Now I'm finally doing what I should have done to begin with and looking up a guide on replacing a bike chain. It turns out you're supposed to loosen the back wheel while attaching a new chain. I wonder if I'll remember that in however many years it'll be before I next need to replace a bike chain.

• Options
    That depends on how your bike's set up -- if you have a derailleur, then when you're replacing the chain you can just change gears to give yourself more slack, though of course then you have to make sure you don't make the chain too short to get into the biggest gears when you're done.

If you have a singlespeed / fixed-gear then in theory a new chain should just wrap around both gears and fit exactly the same way the old one did (except for wear, I guess), though it can be pretty fiddly putting a new chain back together if it's tight. (this is the one time where I found a master link in the chain makes things more difficult rather than less)

• Options
    I have a fixed gear so I just loosen the back wheel and slam it forward then when the new chain is on pull it back enough for the right tension.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    is there a specific name for bikes that don't have gears or handle breaks?

edit: i guess fixed-gear? im'a get one

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Also I guess there's a difference between single speeds and fixies, to do with whether the pedals have to spin while the wheels turn or not? Or another variant, a geared e-bike, but the pedals can pedal backwards independently of the wheels, but the chain does not go backwards with the pedals, which makes for fun chain cleaning.

PSN: Kurahoshi1