As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »
    Yeah, woof. My (long-suffering) "Persian Leopard" dropship project is loosely based on the MWO style model, and that sucker's in the neighborhood of a foot long. You might be disappointed in the interior room, though; there's only enough space for probably about four hexes, which'd be the 'Mech bays themselves. Turns out, a dropship needs a bunch of stuff on the inside to make it work! This image is from a blog called "Leg Destroyed - Reverse Disabled" (lol!) where a guy was working on a physical model for an MWO-style Leopard, and I shamelessly stole the artwork to use as a guide for my own work.
    Leopard_scale.jpg

I notice he's using the Correct Sexiest 'Mech for his modeling.

I don't see him using the Locust.

Exactly.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Yeah, woof. My (long-suffering) "Persian Leopard" dropship project is loosely based on the MWO style model, and that sucker's in the neighborhood of a foot long. You might be disappointed in the interior room, though; there's only enough space for probably about four hexes, which'd be the 'Mech bays themselves. Turns out, a dropship needs a bunch of stuff on the inside to make it work! This image is from a blog called "Leg Destroyed - Reverse Disabled" (lol!) where a guy was working on a physical model for an MWO-style Leopard, and I shamelessly stole the artwork to use as a guide for my own work.
    Leopard_scale.jpg

I notice he's using the Correct Sexiest 'Mech for his modeling.

I don't see him using the Locust.

Exactly.

That's not a marauder either.
    I think you might have your "sexy" wires crossed.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    I think you folks know where I stand on this issue.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    We all know how much you and everyone rightly love the Dragon

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So it sounds like they're basically having to rebuild their pledge manager with a bunch of new custom code and shit because all of the options they included means it's mathematically possible for each of the over 11k orders to be completely unique.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Had a free-for-all game today. 2500 points.

One other player brought three Owens, two Prime and one Alpha.

The Alpha tripped over rough terrain and critted its own MG ammo in the first turn.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Tox wrote: »
    So it sounds like they're basically having to rebuild their pledge manager with a bunch of new custom code and shit because all of the options they included means it's mathematically possible for each of the over 11k orders to be completely unique.

Yeah, I read that earlier today. I guess I'm not shocked? It's nice that CGL let us go hog wild with options and picks and add-ons and things like that, but I can't imagine anyone being surprised to hear a stock pledge manager backend was going to be able to handle all that.

On the flip side of this, the Mechwarrior: Destiny beta rules were released! I'm actually pretty excited to dig into them, because I'd love for there to be a lighter-weight RPG I can tack onto my Battletech games. From everything I've read, A Time Of War is not at all that.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Ianator wrote: »
    Had a free-for-all game today. 2500 points.

One other player brought three Owens, two Prime and one Alpha.

The Alpha tripped over rough terrain and critted its own MG ammo in the first turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF-c1K3WWg4

(I don't know why this popped into my head. It just did.)

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Yeah, I read that earlier today. I guess I'm not shocked? It's nice that CGL let us go hog wild with options and picks and add-ons and things like that, but I can't imagine anyone being surprised to hear a stock pledge manager backend was going to be able to handle all that.

On the flip side of this, the Mechwarrior: Destiny beta rules were released! I'm actually pretty excited to dig into them, because I'd love for there to be a lighter-weight RPG I can tack onto my Battletech games. From everything I've read, A Time Of War is not at all that.

It is a super light weight RPG, I think it might work well in a PBP. I need to read the combat part again to see how that might work, seems like they encourage using whatever system you want (classic, TW, AS) with some narrative add on.

Any takers?

Tigliss on
    l7n41RV.png
    Tigliss wrote: »

It is a super light weight RPG, I think it might work well in a PBP. I need to read the combat part again to see how that might work, seems like they encourage using whatever system you want (classic, TW, AS) with some narrative add on.

Any takers?

@DaMoonRulz

o4n72w5h9b5y.png

Any takers?

*Both hands shoot into the air immediately*

Ooh, ooh, pick me, pick me!

Yeah I could give it a shot

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    My LGS surprisingly got the TR: Clan Invasion in. Did not pick up yet but flipped through it. Just going to start out by saying that the last TR that I owned was the 3058 one.

That being said, the Project Phoenix Reseen designs are mostly terrible. The Thunderbolt, Battlemaster, and Rifleman are somewhat passable, but everything else is just...ugh.

Also, the mix of original Duane Loose artwork (like, artwork I remember from early readouts) with some of the mechs from the same readouts being updated by other artists just felt weird to me.

Still need to get it at some point.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I've got a soft spot for the Wolverine, but I do agree most of the Project Phoenix mechs are a little too out there... which I think may have been the point?

Fortunately the new Succession Wars-era reseen are :+1:

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List

Any takers?

me three :+1:

Any takers?

I don't know much about the in-depth lore and history of battletech, but I do love me some stompy robots.
    If you've space for another player, I'm in.

see317 wrote: »

Any takers?

I don't know much about the in-depth lore and history of battletech, but I do love me some stompy robots.

I've never run it before either, so sure we totally have room!

Give me a day or two to put something together and read the rules a second time.

l7n41RV.png
    see317 wrote: »

Any takers?

I've never run it before either, so sure we totally have room!

Give me a day or two to put something together and read the rules a second time.

That'll give me time to read the rules the first time!

Or at least part of the rules.

Let's face it, I'll be reading the rules as I make posts, no lie.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Samesies. @Tigliss Do you want us all in Mechs, or do you want to try a mix of Mechs/Aero/Ground vehicles

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Samesies. @Tigliss Do you want us all in Mechs, or do you want to try a mix of Mechs/Aero/Ground vehicles

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Samesies. Tigliss Do you want us all in Mechs, or do you want to try a mix of Mechs/Aero/Ground vehicles
    Everyone takes a LAM or a QuadVee. All the joy of mechs, and we also get to be tanks and planes.

Don't let Mitch Gitelman find out

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Anything not to split the party too much, thinking no Aero to start with. Mechs/Ground/LAMs are all good.

Better start figuring it out. :biggrin:

l7n41RV.png

Anything not to split the party too much, thinking no Aero to start with. Mechs/Ground/LAMs are all good.

What experience package we starting with?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Crosspost due to relevant interests:

Part 2 is here and it's fucking huuuge
    *bagpipes intensify*
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVrAdhCfc4

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png

Veteran.

l7n41RV.png
    Samesies. Tigliss Do you want us all in Mechs, or do you want to try a mix of Mechs/Aero/Ground vehicles

Veteran.

You're just trying to give me a Dragon, aren't you :heartbeat:

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I haven't read the rules yet. How many Locusts does that buy me?

Kerensky knows I'll need a few replacements.

edited September 2019
    I haven't read the rules yet. How many Locusts does that buy me?

Kerensky knows I'll need a few replacements.

If I'm reading correctly, only 1, but you can repair/rebuild it.

Veterans start with three hardware points each, then choose from the following table:
    1HARDWARE POINT
    Light BattleMech (20–35 tons)
    Light Combat Vehicle (1–35 tons)
    Small Personal Vehicle (< 3 tons)
    2 HARDWARE POINTS
    Medium BattleMech (40–55 tons)
    Medium Combat Vehicle (36–55 tons)
    Light Aerospace Fighter (20–45 tons)
    Large Personal Vehicle (3+ tons)
    3 HARDWARE POINTS
    Heavy BattleMech (60–75 tons)
    Heavy Combat Vehicle (56–75 tons)
    Medium Aerospace Fighter (50–70 tons)
    4 HARDWARE POINTS
    Assault BattleMech (80–100 tons)
    Assault Combat Vehicle (76–100 tons)
    Heavy Aerospace Fighter (75–100 tons)
    Starting as Dispossessed will allow you to hold onto your Hardware Points and use them to lay claim to the first mech you come across at -1 to the cost, but only on the first mech you get. Hopefully, that means "Stolen mech in good working order" and not "Smoking mech shaped crater that needs to be rebuilt from hopes and dreams", but that's up to the GM.

Points can be pooled for the party if someone doesn't want to spend all their points, or each unspent point can be spent as follows:
    1 XP
    2 Additional skill points to assign
    +1 to your EDG

Later mech upgrades can be purchased for XP. Repairing/rebuilding your existing mech costs 1/2 xp respectively. Salvaged hardware can be claimed for XP equal to base hardware-1, but may also have to be repaired/rebuilt as above. So, salvaging a busted up Locust is actually free, but repairing/rebuilding it is going to cost you as above.
    Purchasing "new" costs base hardware price in XP (+2 if it's a mech).

So, your three initial HWpoints get you 1 Locust with 1 complete rebuild or 2 repairs (the repairs/rebuilds being taken from your 2xp) or you could take 4 additional skills or +2 EDG or some combination of those. Or, if you pool your points, it gets you 1 locust, and two allies sitting fat and happy in assault mechs who really owe you a favor.

Edit: Heh, forgot the question I came here to ask.
    The beta rules point me to https://bg.battletech.com/ to download character sheets, but I don't see the destiny character sheets under the download link. Are they called something else, am I just blind, or are they not up yet?

see317 on
    Alright, legit question here for those of you that've played a wide breadth of RPGs:

How do you feel about the Roll vs. Roll mechanic for resolving Tests, instead of say Roll vs. Target Number? I've seen some grumblings about that on the official forums, but I've never played a system where Roll vs. Roll adjudicated everything, even in circumstances where the GM's roll represents a non-acting entity (e.g. inanimate objects).

My knee-jerk reaction was to say in my head "Oh, it's just an escalating progression, so instead of rolling I'd replace Easy with a TN of 7, Average with a TN of 10/11, and Hard with a TN of 14" Then I kept reading, and saw the bit about Edge and forcing rerolls (even on the GM's side), and did a double-take.

Like, I kinda see where it's interesting; say for example, not all Locked Objects to pick open are created equal, and even within a difficulty class (say, Easy) you don't really know if you're getting a Masterlock padlock versus a cheap flea-market luggage lock. At least until you make the attempt! So there's some narrative dissonance that every Easy lock becomes a black box, that you don't know how actually hard it is to succeed against it until you've already tried, which could range from trivially easy (2d6=2) to actually pretty hard (2d6=12).

Thinking all that through, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I know the system is supposed to be narratively driven, but this feels like a weird little mechanical square peg that doesn't quite fit in any round narrative holes without shaving it down first.

The opposed rolls is certainly a thing... It feels good in the struggle between two characters (trying to get a lock on the Locust darting between the buildings vs. that tbolt will wreck my day, gotta go fast). Narratively seems like it could be neat. Though opposed versus skill check like things feels weird.

l7n41RV.png
    @Tigliss @DaMoonRulz @Nips We're gonna do the thing where nobody's playing anything hyper-controversial like where "my character has Dark Secret + In for Life + Alternate Identity because I'm secretly a Word of Blake ROM agent" or some bullshit, right?

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Alright, legit question here for those of you that've played a wide breadth of RPGs:

How do you feel about the Roll vs. Roll mechanic for resolving Tests, instead of say Roll vs. Target Number? I've seen some grumblings about that on the official forums, but I've never played a system where Roll vs. Roll adjudicated everything, even in circumstances where the GM's roll represents a non-acting entity (e.g. inanimate objects).

My knee-jerk reaction was to say in my head "Oh, it's just an escalating progression, so instead of rolling I'd replace Easy with a TN of 7, Average with a TN of 10/11, and Hard with a TN of 14" Then I kept reading, and saw the bit about Edge and forcing rerolls (even on the GM's side), and did a double-take.

Like, I kinda see where it's interesting; say for example, not all Locked Objects to pick open are created equal, and even within a difficulty class (say, Easy) you don't really know if you're getting a Masterlock padlock versus a cheap flea-market luggage lock. At least until you make the attempt! So there's some narrative dissonance that every Easy lock becomes a black box, that you don't know how actually hard it is to succeed against it until you've already tried, which could range from trivially easy (2d6=2) to actually pretty hard (2d6=12).

Thinking all that through, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I know the system is supposed to be narratively driven, but this feels like a weird little mechanical square peg that doesn't quite fit in any round narrative holes without shaving it down first.

For me it depends on the situation really. Roll vs Roll makes sense when it's two intelligent things facing off against each other and testing skill vs skill. Roll vs static number makes more sense when it's like "I want to hit a static thing with a thing." Though, even then, I rankle a lot with how in D&D breaking something could be DC10 and you still roll low and fail even though you have an 18 strength. Like, Captain America doesn't need to fucking roll to split a log in half with his bare hands. He just fucking does it. Cause he's Captain fucking America. So, yeah, I think a GM needs to take into considering the character's stats and abilities and just make judgement calls accordingly and not being afraid to just be like "you've got an 18 strength, of course you can punch through this thing" without asking for rolls.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Crosspost due to relevant interests:

Part 2 is here and it's fucking huuuge
    *bagpipes intensify*
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVrAdhCfc4

I have a soft spot in my heart for btech lore <3

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »

For me it depends on the situation really. Roll vs Roll makes sense when it's two intelligent things facing off against each other and testing skill vs skill. Roll vs static number makes more sense when it's like "I want to hit a static thing with a thing." Though, even then, I rankle a lot with how in D&D breaking something could be DC10 and you still roll low and fail even though you have an 18 strength. Like, Captain America doesn't need to fucking roll to split a log in half with his bare hands. He just fucking does it. Cause he's Captain fucking America. So, yeah, I think a GM needs to take into considering the character's stats and abilities and just make judgement calls accordingly and not being afraid to just be like "you've got an 18 strength, of course you can punch through this thing" without asking for rolls.

This. A good GM should only ever make you roll if the potential for failure is interesting in the narrative, be that because of negative consequences or to provide twists in the narrative.

I think that's one of the hardest lessons to learn as a GM, especially if you're coming from a background of pass/fail game mechanics like D&D.

There was some discussion over in the general RPG thread that's stuck with me a while back:
    So, basically, D20 says Yes or No.

[Powered by the Apocalypse, e.g. Dungeon World] says Yes, Yes But..., or No and leaves it up to the DM to creatively fill in the blanks.

FFG Star Wars says Yes, Yes But..., No And..., or No...and the dice give the players and DM a finer detail of what exactly went right or wrong to interpret the results creatively? [More like] Yes, yes but, yes but holy shit, yes and also, yes and incredibly

Which, thinking about it, makes me a little upset about MW:D; it's trying to be a more narrativist system, but instead of learning from these newer systems mechanically it stuck with pass/fail and its inherent faults.

@Nips The difference, though, is that while playing you earn tokens that let you bypass the roll completely and just narrate what you want to do

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited September 2019
    @Nips The difference, though, is that while playing you earn tokens that let you bypass the roll completely and just narrate what you want to do

Not what I'm seeing. Plot Points (pg. 33) can be used to
    1. Change the turn order
    2. Take two move actions
    3. Add a surprise threat
    4. Heal a point of Fatigue or Physical damage
    5. Take a hit for another character
    6. Immediately make a retaliatory attack on an NPC

You can spend Edge during a gaming session (pg. 36) to make or force dice rerolls during a Test. Edge, however, can't be earned back and doesn't refresh until the next gaming session (which seems like a really fuzzy and bad length-of-time metric, given that the game literally has mechanics for Missions that better narratively delineate when a PC would get the down time to rest and refresh).

Nothing lets you hand-wave away a Test roll if it's required.

Nips on
    Man, I haven’t read these rules yet but I’m I’m getting flashbacks of the old (like, Fasa) Shadowrun.

Nobody wrote: »
    Man, I haven’t read these rules yet but I’m I’m getting flashbacks of the old (like, Fasa) Shadowrun.

Having played old, old FASA Shadowrun, MW:D is super really not that. At least not from what I've read so far, but I can't imagine there's a turn in these rules that makes it look anything like old Shadowrun.

edited September 2019
    I’m just remembering the old Edge stuff

EDIT: unless my wires are really crosses and I’m thinking of the old Mechwarrior rules.

Nobody on