As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Far Side is coming back?

The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, OmeganautRegistered User, ClubPA regular
BLM - ACAB

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Karen? really?

alright, I guess

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I have fond memories of TFS

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I remember watching a Far Side Cartoon once and always being bummed there wasn't more.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I mean this seems cool but I'm also afraid of Larson being the stereotypical boomer and the new comics being all about SOME GIZMO and MILLENIALS so I think I'd be happier just leaving The Far Side as it is

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The revived Online Bloom County/Opus stuff isn't bad

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I still say they should Nancy it and give it to a young cartoonist

I feel TFS has enough of a unique tone that it would be worth passing onto a new creator to run with

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Five possibilities exist. In order of most to least positive.

1.) New strips, and Gary's still got the magic.

2.) No new strips, just an online archive of existing content. Still great news, and by far the most likely scenario.

3.) New strips, but the magic is gone. It's not offensive or anything, it's just not good any more, and that makes us sad.

4.) New strips, but Gary sucks as a person now and the comics are full of ignorant horseshit.

5.) Gary has lost his damn mind and needs a platform to shill for his private cryptocurrency, which funds the shadow war against feminists and/or lizard people.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    If it is just a web archive of the original comics that is under Larson's control, cool. If not, it would be par for the course to find another pillar of my youth to be problematic.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Yeah. He's actively fought against his strips being online up until now, so I'm guessing it's option 2.

Which will be nice for me, since whenever I get a bad fever I have no recourse but to drink tea and read Far Side comics. This will be much easier than hefting the giant collected editions onto my lap.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    At least that image is kinda neat, whatever else comes out of this.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    This ones my favorite:

FDgOg62.jpg

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    This ones my favorite:

FDgOg62.jpg

Anatidaephobia is right there

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    as a lifelong Doug I am required to love this one

cwy16cbqj58f.png

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I still do not understand some of the Far Side cartoons

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    my favorite is actually Cow Tools simply because I, as a child, immediately understood everything there was to understand about that comic, but apparently every adult who saw it was just utterly befuddled

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The world was going down the tubes. They needed a scapegoat.

They found Wayne.

Madican on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    TFS was way ahead of its time; it hits that sweet spot of bewildered humor about the current society which is the mark of most of the best contemporary memes. The one panel format is also ideal for such as mobile devices

tbh it’s bizarre it’s taken this long

So, hopefully Larson doesn’t turn out to be old and awful

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    gary Larson and bill watterson are some of the only rich people I have any respect for because they made their paper and fucked off to do hobbies and leave the rest of us the fuck alone

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I may be remembering wrong, but Larson gave a relatively recent interview saying that he just stares at the walls some days thinking about how badly we've fucked up the planet.

So hopefully he hasn't lost it in the way everyone is dreading.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

And others I understand, I just don't get why they're supposed to be funny. Maybe I'm just dumb?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I always liked the cowboy ones
    Dys wrote: »
    I may be remembering wrong, but Larson gave a relatively recent interview saying that he just stares at the walls some days thinking about how badly we've fucked up the planet.

Aw dang that's grim

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    gary Larson and bill watterson are some of the only rich people I have any respect for because they made their paper and fucked off to do hobbies and leave the rest of us the fuck alone

Watterson in particular; I can't find the interview but one the main reasons he ended C&H was he was getting a lot of merchandising pressure from his publishers and he wanted no part of it. Mad respect for preserving the integrity and vision of your work in the face of an almost unfathomable amount of money.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Yes but did he state HOW we've fucked it up?

• Options
    edited September 2019
    the crazy thing about the C&H licensing fight is that like...watterson shouldn't have been able to win it

his publisher, I'm pretty sure, could have just said "we have the right to make whatever merch we want regardless of your preferences, and you're contractually obliged to keep making the comics, end of discussion"

if that understanding is correct, it says a lot about how stubborn Watterson was

Shorty on
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Yes but did he state HOW we've fucked it up?

Environmentally.

He specifically said how creeped out he is by the rate at which we push species to extinction.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    You know what fucking ruled?

The trippy as fuck animated Far Side specials.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the crazy thing about the C&H licensing fight is that like...watterson shouldn't have been able to win it

his publisher, I'm pretty sure, could have just said "we have the right to make whatever merch we want regardless of your preferences, and you're contractually obliged to keep making the comics, end of discussion"

if that understanding is correct, it says a lot about how stubborn Watterson was

I believe he had a unique contract

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    You know what fucking ruled?

The trippy as fuck animated Far Side specials.

That was my favorite part of Halloween when I was a kid. I was really sad when my local station stopped running it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

I feel like if C&H was running today that a bunch of shitty redpill/incel/gamergate/take your pick types would idolize Calvin as a role model of whatever toxic bullshit you wanna name while Watterson would be screaming about how he's just a jerkass kid.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    yes many people would fail to understand that Calvin is both very smart and nearly always wrong

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If C&H was running today, Calvin still wouldn’t have a VCR.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Foxtrot surprises me with how Bill Amend is still very much in touch with popular culture and not just in a how do you do fellow kids sort of way

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    runner-up, and best strip to not cater to me personally

z2tzzbnxvok1.png

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I've always been partial to "Bummer of a birthmark, Hal," or the one with the two bears in a crosshairs, one pointing at the other.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    "The fuel light is on, we're all going to die! We're all going to di- oh wait, that's the intercom light"

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Was there a single a family road trip in the 90s that didn’t include a volume of The Far Side

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

And others I understand, I just don't get why they're supposed to be funny. Maybe I'm just dumb?

Many are just pure absurdity; like the cow tools one (per Larson) has no deep meaning, he just thought the idea of a cow having some weird tool-objects was amusing so he drew it

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I remember as a kid being bummed that there was never a C & H cartoon, but now I'm really glad.

It exists perfectly in it's medium.

• Options
    Also yeah, watterson only ever signed over the publication rights; that and the popularity of the strip gave him enormous leverage to do basically whatever he wanted. C&H was one of the only strips to retain a larger Sunday format because if watterson couldn’t draw them that way he refused to draw them at all (this pissed off a bunch of his less-acclaimed contemporaries). He also refused any merchandising right from the beginning, and the publisher just had to deal with it.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    my childhood dentist had a bunch far side collections in his waiting room and it was very helpful in distracting me from the fact that I was visiting the dentist.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg