As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Enes Kanter just won the WWE 24/7 title.

• Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    Oh god can't unsee

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Oh my god fuck all the way off with the Helvetica.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Oh my god fuck all the way off with the Helvetica.

It's made to look like Subway signs I think, so I get it, but yeah that motif feels overdone at this point.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Yea I get it I just think it’s lame and so beyond played out.

They had the subway tile look last year that they were too cowardly to pull the trigger on, do that if you want the look.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    It's to distract how bad the team is.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Wait what?

You mean just for the year they’ll be ok until Durant is back?

• Options
    I'm sure they'll make the playoffs at like 41-41 record.

• Options

Wait what?

You mean just for the year they’ll be ok until Durant is back?

durant is coming off a career killer and will be 32 at season start next year. certainly possible he's still mvp caliber but i dunno that i'd take that bet.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I mean, even with a potentially hobbled Durant, having Kyrie means they're probably good, especially in the East.

• Options
    A bit of a steep price for a 35 year old but could be good for a team looking to clear cap space the following year.
    The Memphis Grizzlies and Andre Iguodala have mutually agreed to let him stay away from the team, sources confirmed to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Memphis has no plans to negotiate a contract buyout and continues to expect that it will find a trade for Iguodala prior to the Feb. 6 deadline, sources said.

The Golden State Warriors sent Iguodala, who is due $17.2 million next season in the final year of his contract, along with a lightly protected 2024 first-round pick to the rebuilding Grizzlies because they needed to shed his salary to execute a three-team, sign-and-trade deal for All-Star guard D'Angelo Russell.

Iguodala, 35, a critical piece of the Warriors' three championships and five consecutive Finals appearances, is considered one of the league's elite wing defenders and is an excellent passer and threat off the dribble. He averaged 5.7 points, 3.7 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game as Golden State's sixth man last season. Those averages increased to 9.8 points, 4.3 rebounds and 4.0 assists during the playoffs, in which Iguodala started the majority of the games.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Los Angeles Lakers forward Kyle Kuzma is out indefinitely with a stress reaction in his foot, an injury he suffered while he was working with Team USA this summer, the Lakers announced.

Kuzma, 24, has not been cleared for full practice or game participation and will miss at least the first three weeks of training camp

Caruso's time to shine

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    After China doubled down on boycotting the Rockets, the NBA abandoned their efforts to be conciliatory and issued a second statement that essentially says "fuck china"

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Next Yao Ming will unfollow Silver on Instagram.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Next Yao Ming will unfollow Silver on Instagram.

I'm not a sportsball person, but the president of the Chinese Basketball League(CBA) is Yao Ming... who played for the Rockets.... and has cut ties with the Rockets
    Tencent has also cut ties with the Rockets as well.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The NBA should cut ties with China. If this is the cost of doing business it's not worth it.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    The NBA should cut ties with China. If this is the cost of doing business it's not worth it.

Their plan appears to be to come out in support of Daryl Morey, support his right to say what he wants, but make China be the ones to formally cut the ties

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular

We're going to find out soon how much companies really like money.

• Options
    Einzel wrote: »

We're going to find out soon how much companies really like money.

From what I gather, the value of China to the NBA is their consumer market. They want the sport and the league to be popular there because there's a billion people to potentially sell merch to and games on Chinese media. I can't imagine they have any plans of building anything beyond that.

And if a single tweet can lead the Chinese government to force a boycott then the risk doesn't sound worth the reward.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    This is one of the things that I think people significantly underestimated when they talked about "opening up" China - the government's wherewithal to control anything and everything, and their willingness to invest in the necessary infrastructure and processes to do so. It should not be a surprise that China is willing to explicitly leverage their control of their economy and markets to further their political goals.

Remember back when people laughed at the idea of a "Great Firewall"? Or how for literally decades China has been raising a hissy fit every time anyone has acknowledged the existence of Taiwan as an independent nation?

As long as the American public remains captive to the almighty dollar, other governments and entities will continue to abuse it to their advantage, because they aren't stupid enough to actually believe that "ALL OF THE MONEY (but just for the rich people)" is an actual goal in and of itself.

• Options
    NBA China is worth 4 billion dollars.

I’m shocked that silver rolled back his statement at all honestly, but I do think the nba was pissed off that China didn’t give anything back after they apologized so hard.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Knight_ wrote: »
    NBA China is worth 4 billion dollars.

I’m shocked that silver rolled back his statement at all honestly, but I do think the nba was pissed off that China didn’t give anything back after they apologized so hard.

What is "NBA China" exactly? I am aware of a $1.5B streaming deal with Tencent and a few games being played there but nothing beyond that. They don't operate a league there and I'm unaware of any plans to build one.

And since Tencent is willing to suspend their relationship over a tweet I go back to my original point on it not making business sense.

Butters on
  • Options
    Merchandise, player sponsorships.

• Options
    The Chinese government just demonstrated they can and will pull all of that away any time they want.

• Options
    Pro basketball is pretty huge in China and washed out NBA players regularly sign with teams and become superstars again.

Stephon Marbury one of the biggest examples:
    Thanks to his play on the court, Marbury has become one of China’s most famous athletes and a beloved hero in Beijing where he has received the title of honorary Beijing citizen, his own series of stamps and even a statue outside the Ducks’ arena.

In 2016, he also became the first foreign celebrity to ever receive a Chinese green card.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Pro basketball is pretty huge in China and washed out NBA players regularly sign with teams and become superstars again.

Stephon Marbury one of the biggest examples:
    Thanks to his play on the court, Marbury has become one of China’s most famous athletes and a beloved hero in Beijing where he has received the title of honorary Beijing citizen, his own series of stamps and even a statue outside the Ducks’ arena.

In 2016, he also became the first foreign celebrity to ever receive a Chinese green card.

This doesn't really impact the NBA at all though.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It is interesting to see the radio silence from Jeremy Lin on this topic, given he recently joined the Beijing Ducks, is outspoken about social issues, and wears his Christian faith proudly.

• Options
    Even though just preseason, Zion is looking legit. Dude has some crazy hops.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=27809995

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    He's so smooth around the rim. Graceful even. Definitely gonna have to watch some Pelicans games.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Big guys who can’t shoot look great when defenses aren’t really trying. Ben Simmons is a regular season hero for a reason until he figures out how to shoot a basketball regularly.

Same applies to Zion.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Zion literally pulled the same spinning layup manuever for like 10 straight plays and made all of them

Simmons looks average compared to him

• Options
    We'll have to see if he can keep that energy going for 82 games. I see him picking up some lingering injuries with his bull rush mentality as well.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Zion literally pulled the same spinning layup manuever for like 10 straight plays and made all of them

Simmons looks average compared to him

Hah, ok. I’ve watched Simmons score 20-30 points so many times and look insanely good in the regular season when guys don’t play at full intensity. Suddenly 1 point in the playoffs.

A guy making the same move 10 times in the preseason is now an all star I guess.

Edit: Zion might be good, he might be great, he certainly could be. But we anoint people so early in the nba and it’s really god damned stupid.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    We'll have to see if he can keep that energy going for 82 games. I see him picking up some lingering injuries with his bull rush mentality as well.

Zion might be indestructible like young Lebron. We’ll see.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Did you watch Zion in college? He's not a terrible shooter. He's not pulling up in your face but he can knock them down if you let him shoot.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So the Celtics signed Tacko Fall to a two way contract which means he'll spend a big chunk of time in Maine. Guess who lives in Maine less than an hour away from where the Red Claws play?

This discussion has been closed.