As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »

I had a friend who would send sms messages to people in this manner.

You'll note I said "had" because the entire township decided to murder him in the street for it.

I can't say this is something I care about, but I sympathize with the author because people who put in tickets or send me emails without details bother me in almost exactly the same way.

"I'm having trouble with my email."

What trouble? Is there an error message? Describe it. You're an adult, use your fucking words, don't make me drag it out of you.

Oh yes. This does bother me. I have to restrain myself from replying to those emails/tickets with "oh, isn't that terrible!" or the equivalent.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    How do you guys go about looking for new jobs? I want to start poking around and seeing what I might be eligible for, but I'm not totally sure what the best options for that would be. I like my current job's independence and ability to play with and learn new things that make me more hireable, but they also definitely don't pay a ton. Education stuff isn't too difficult to look for since there's just a statewide job website I can peruse, but if I wanted to go out of education I imagine I'd be making more.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Talk to your friends first. Then your family.

That's generally what you should do before you even hit the Internet.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Guess who's organization accidentally provisioned O365 licenses for 1900 users?

Guess who's organization is now out of O365 licenses?

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

It's some other poor fool's organization and not yours, right?

That's gotta be why you're telling us this!

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

You'll note I said "had" because the entire township decided to murder him in the street for it.

I can't say this is something I care about, but I sympathize with the author because people who put in tickets or send me emails without details bother me in almost exactly the same way.

What trouble? Is there an error message? Describe it. You're an adult, use your fucking words, don't make me drag it out of you.

Oh yes. This does bother me. I have to restrain myself from replying to those emails/tickets with "oh, isn't that terrible!" or the equivalent.

"My email is broken."

Internally I'm seething, but my go to reply to that is; "Ah ok, what kind of broken?"

That usually gets folks to tell me what's actually wrong. And if they don't, I just die a little more inside.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    FF wrote: »

"My email is broken."

Internally I'm seething, but my go to reply to that is; "Ah ok, what kind of broken?"

That usually gets folks to tell me what's actually wrong. And if they don't, I just die a little more inside.

Bonus points if they reported it via email.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

Totally.

Bonus points:
    This happened via an automated process on Saturday. Someone from the team responsible realized Sunday. They didn't tell anyone until this morning.

• Options
    This is why I just let users call me, and fuck ticket systems. I'd rather be able to just ask questions right away and get rid of this shit.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    FF wrote: »

"My email is broken."

The internet is slow.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    "I dunno, it's just slow!"

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Nothing grinds my gears like users emailing me to tell me their email isn't working.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Nothing grinds my gears like users emailing me to tell me their email isn't working.

That's an OSHA violation, pretty sure.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular

Well, somebody gonna get hurt real bad.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    The best part is when the email is hard down and once you get it working you get a flood of email and trouble tickets telling you email is down.

• Options

This one is easy.

Just ignore it and if anyone asks you about it say you never saw it.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Totally.

Bonus points:
    This happened via an automated process on Saturday. Someone from the team responsible realized Sunday. They didn't tell anyone until this morning.

I'm finding it hard to believe that microsoft wouldn't help you out with that though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Infidel wrote: »

Well, somebody gonna get hurt real bad.

COG's gone. We need some thread jokes.

• Options
    A brief rant:

Yes, I know this vendor has a website that requires IE.

Yes, I know that's stupid.

Yes, I agree this is dumb.

But I also don't get to fucking say that we don't use this vendor now because they're so dumb! And I could tell them what our needs are, but they aren't going to fucking care!

We're not going to re-invent the entire fucking IT world as an itty bitty company selling porcelain and steel to itty bitty companies!

"But what they are doing is dumb!"

I DON'T FUCKING CARE ANYMORE!!! Unless you have a bulletproof plan that gets them to adopt other browsers, fuck the fuck off!

• Options
    Any company that makes something only for IE10 in 2019 deserves literally all ridicule and scorn.

Change my mind.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I will 100% seek an alternative even if it's worse. I'm not going to support and train users for the next 5 years to use IE10. At some point that's gonna break and it's going to be a nightmare to keep up and retrain users.

Better to just train them on a slightly shittier platform and then when that platform catches up in features, I'm gravy.

• Options
    We are not talking about something that's within the IT department's control.

We're talking about companies with names you'll see advertised when you watch football. You don't get to just abort business with these guys and not lose your own.

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular

We're talking about companies with names you'll see advertised when you watch football. You don't get to just abort business with these guys and not lose your own.

What stress at your job? Don't you mess with computers all day? -All of my family when I talk about being stressed at work.

Huh...
  • Options

Depends on the industry. Maybe you can't, but I can.

• Options
    For instance, one hospital up here refuses to adapt and requires IE7 for their weird little web portal. Guess what, my doctors can't access it remotely even though I theoretically could get them connected. It's probably different if it's a vendor you need to use for x, y, z but, still.

I'm going to shame the fuck out of their sales people and tech support when I get ahold of them because I am not supporting IE10 or lower.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

Yes that is what I'm saying.

• Options

just shame them constantly about how it only works in IE

• Options

I doubt they care.

• Options

I doubt they care.

Depends on how big they are and how big you are. If you're not spending 10k and have some significant pulling power in the local area to influence others it's a thing.

But we're all talking coded messages, near as I can tell you are all talking about something shitty like teamviewer that pretends it's bigger than it actually is.

• Options
    Nah I'm talking about a major parts manufacturer.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Our entire organizations g suite was just suspended for about 15 minutes.

I can only imagine the panic in IT.

...I went to lunch.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Jeez, my users are getting phishing emails from someone who has done a remarkable job of faking a signature on the emails to make it look like it came from one of the bosses, asking for people's cell numbers. It's not the bosses actual email signature either. But it looks like it totally could be! Damn you scammers, I have enough problems without dealing with this!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Jeez, my users are getting phishing emails from someone who has done a remarkable job of faking a signature on the emails to make it look like it came from one of the bosses, asking for people's cell numbers. It's not the bosses actual email signature either. But it looks like it totally could be! Damn you scammers, I have enough problems without dealing with this!

Had something similar recently and it turned out to be part of a pentest (but one the head of IT was not informed by).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

There are already proofs of concept for deep fake voices/voice filters, so phone calls will get way more interesting soon.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

There are already proofs of concept for deep fake voices/voice filters, so phone calls will get way more interesting soon.

Pfft, then we'll just go to video ch-oh wait.

• Options

Totally.

Bonus points:

I'm finding it hard to believe that microsoft wouldn't help you out with that though.

We don't need their help. There's automatic over-provisioning. We only had ~100 unused licenses, but O365 will let you provision beyond that with... I forget the name, but basically temporary licenses that are only good for 30 days. That gives us more than enough time to identify the accounts that were created automatically and decommission them (which will reclaim the licenses). We were back up to ~90 free licenses last time I checked.

So it wasn't the end of the world, but it was a hell of a way to start a Monday (and would have been way easier to clean up if the people responsible had fessed up when it happened).

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

*laughs in Fed Govt*

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Not only do we have multiple business critical websites that require MSIE11, we have others that don't work at all in MSIE11, and we have to make sure our users know which browser to use for each site.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Also, not only that, we have one specific major vendor whose critical website:

1) Only works in MSIE11 because it requires a specific ActiveX MSIE plugin
    2) Breaks often, usually due to network/server/loadbalancer problems on their hosting
    3) Whenever a user calls them to troubleshoot, their tier-1 support asks us to turn on Compatibility View
    4) the website actually does not work in Compatibility View, ever, at all. This advice never works.

No, we cannot go to a competitor. There is no competitor. They may not have a monopoly in their industry in the legal sense, but they have a de facto monopoly.

We could stop offering the service to our customers that relies on this vendor, but our C-level execs and our board won't take that option for strategic reasons, not the least of which is that we're under contractual obligation in some cases and we could literally be sued.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.