As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Turns out all they had to do to get me to play WoW again was to make it available to play

ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morningAnd the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
...Exceeeeeeeeeept

I now run a linux machine. I don't want to boot into Windows for a variety of reasons, one of them being that I'd really like to be able to just alt-tab out of the game without having to think about it and use the rest of my machine. Everything I've found with instructions for how to run the launcher (or even just classic itself) is somewhere between 10 and 14 years old, and no piece of software involved looks entirely the same as it did then, so I'm having a lot of trouble making it happen.

Does anyone know how to get classic WoW to run on linux? By which I of course mean using a current and legit copy of classic WoW and ideally the launcher as well but not required I don't think to connect to official servers. I can't be the only linux user who wants to play. :P Someone else must have figured out how to do this, I just can't seem to find anything for the modern versions of the software.

Note that I am not really proficient at linux.

Help, somewhere a mage in a 40-man raid is sending the whole group to the farthest capital city as they try to summon their tank on the lock's third-to-last soul shard and I'm not a part of it!

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    ...Exceeeeeeeeeept

I now run a linux machine. I don't want to boot into Windows for a variety of reasons, one of them being that I'd really like to be able to just alt-tab out of the game without having to think about it and use the rest of my machine. Everything I've found with instructions for how to run the launcher (or even just classic itself) is somewhere between 10 and 14 years old, and no piece of software involved looks entirely the same as it did then, so I'm having a lot of trouble making it happen.

Does anyone know how to get classic WoW to run on linux? By which I of course mean using a current and legit copy of classic WoW and ideally the launcher as well but not required I don't think to connect to official servers. I can't be the only linux user who wants to play. :P Someone else must have figured out how to do this, I just can't seem to find anything for the modern versions of the software.

Note that I am not really proficient at linux.

Help, somewhere a mage in a 40-man raid is sending the whole group to the farthest capital city as they try to summon their tank on the lock's third-to-last soul shard and I'm not a part of it!

https://wow.gamepedia.com/World_of_Warcraft_functionality_on_Wine

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Not new classic though.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I have a laptop, I hate the keyboard and screen but it does do well is have Windows. My husband has been trying to talk me into using a KVM switch, which is probably doable but the keyboard I actually like and use is DIN 5 so that's another layer to adapt.

I think I might go for it and hope for the best. There are probably other advantages to having easy access to a Windows PC, maybe it'll work out for something else.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Have you tried VMWare?

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Not new classic though.

New and classic are the same thing, or rather classic runs on the same engine but with different data. Any instructions that get you set up for modern wow also set you up for classic.

steam_sig.png
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Yeah the engine/game itself is nearly identical so if Retail WoW runs classic will as well.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I got WoW installed and working on a linux machine using just wine, a couple of months ago, it went very swimmingly. The guide linked above is pretty much what I did. Wine <install path>, Wine <client path> to play.

Anon the Felon on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    @Thawmus does this in our guild, he uses some sort of wine offshoot to do it I can't remember the name of

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Hi I play WoW Classic on Linux. I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 and Lutris.

If you don't have Lutris, I recommend it because while we all enjoy playing around with stuff, sometimes we just want to play a dumb video game.

https://lutris.net/downloads/

EDIT: Shit, crucial step, follow the instructions here before you install: https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/Game:-World-of-Warcraft

There's some dependencies you'll want to take care of before the install. I forgot about them because I had already done them for retail WoW.

After you have Lutris installed, you go here: https://lutris.net/games/world-of-warcraft-classic/

And click "Install". Follow the prompts carefully. The script is really well written, installs the proper wine version for you and everything.

This is how I installed Classic, and I've been playing flawlessly since the stress tests, zero changes to my wine config necessary.

If you have any issues, feel free to batsignal me again!

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Thanks @Thawmus! You're the man! Ceres now has another problem - WoW runs fine but can't find her video card driver. You get a nice window "Your 3D accelerator card is not supported by World of Warcraft. Please install a 3D accelerator card with dual-TMU support." <click OK to close WOW>

The good news is that the Blizzard Battle.Net app works perfectly and everything seems to load.

I found an old article saying that new versions of Mint (19.2 here) don't default to having MESA 32-bit installed, only 64-bit. I fixed that but the message didn't change.

So we're ... 90-something percent the way there? I don't have any ideas on what to try next though.

EDIT: The card in this PC is an old R9-290. I could give her my R9 Fury but since that uses the same driver(s)....

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I have a laptop, I hate the keyboard and screen but it does do well is have Windows. My husband has been trying to talk me into using a KVM switch, which is probably doable but the keyboard I actually like and use is DIN 5 so that's another layer to adapt.

Wow. What kind of keyboard? I assume you have to use some kind of DIN to PS2 adapter?

steam_sig.png
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Thanks @Thawmus! You're the man! Ceres now has another problem - WoW runs fine but can't find her video card driver. You get a nice window "Your 3D accelerator card is not supported by World of Warcraft. Please install a 3D accelerator card with dual-TMU support." <click OK to close WOW>

The good news is that the Blizzard Battle.Net app works perfectly and everything seems to load.

I found an old article saying that new versions of Mint (19.2 here) don't default to having MESA 32-bit installed, only 64-bit. I fixed that but the message didn't change.

So we're ... 90-something percent the way there? I don't have any ideas on what to try next though.

EDIT: The card in this PC is an old R9-290. I could give her my R9 Fury but since that uses the same driver(s)....

Are you using the open-source driver? Because while the open-source driver is pretty okay and will get things done in a pinch, you will want to use the proprietary driver in most cases, they often double your performance. Nvidia has been great about making linux drivers, and AMD has been getting better every year about it. It's possible that wine can't see the card properly due to the open-source driver? I'm admittedly spit-balling here.

Found the Ubuntu 64 bit driver for the 290 here (Jesus it was never this easy when I started playing on Linux!): https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-290

Looks like they keep it up to date, too, so I'd bookmark that page.

There's also some ppa's you can use to facilitate this so that you're not constantly updating the driver, but a cursory google search didn't get me one.

Other than that, even though the stuff in this link are performance tweaks, I wouldn't be surprised if something in here is completely necessary: https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/Performance-Tweaks

In particular, get Vulkan enabled! https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-DXVK

Also check out the lutris forums for some of your searching, I found this: https://forums.lutris.net/t/world-of-warcraft-dxvk-with-amd/2964/2

Pretty much any articles/posts regarding BFA or wow retail will be helpful.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yeah I've had issues in the past because of the open source drivers and switching to the proprietary one fixed all my issues with wine.

Admittedly this was easily 12 years ago and it wasn't with this fancy new lutris stuff and just straight normal wine.

It was an AMD card though (under ubuntu).

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited September 2019

Wow. What kind of keyboard? I assume you have to use some kind of DIN to PS2 adapter?

I do, but double-adapting is... not ideal. It's one of these guys. I have cleaned it, taken it apart down to the base, hand-repaired switch mechanisms (there was some jerry-rigging involved there at times), and neither Scott nor modernity itself will be able to pry it from my cold dead hands. Both have tried, both have failed.

ceres on
  • Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I would dearly love to install the Closed-Source driver. I've been trying for... hell, almost a decade?

But:
    1) The Open-Source driver works really well, and
    2) AMD drivers *refuse* to install on Mint. They expect Ubuntu and puke all over everything.

Sadly I don't have the technical expertise to fight through all of the various package errors that the most popular distro generates when installing the most popular driver. Whenever I ask for help, people just tell me to use the Open-Source drivers that come with the OS and... well, they mostly work fine, so I can't even say those people are wrong.

EDIT: Things have gotten even worse since I've last attempted this. Package Manager spits out "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: fglrx-core" I don't even get to the point it fails installing any more to show the errors.

EDIT2: Trying the generic driver's .RUN file (specifically: amd-driver-installer-15.302-x86.x86_64.run) gives the terminal error:

"error: Detected X Server version 'XServer 1.19.6_64a' is not supported. Supported versions are X.Org 6.9 or later, up to XServer 1.10 (default:v2:x86_64:lib:XServer 1.19.6_64a:none:4.15.0-64-generic:)
    Installation will not proceed."

Great Scott on
    Good news everyone!

I'm an idiot.

Despite reading everywhere that WOW insists on 32-bit video drivers... the 64-bit ones work fine. As a bonus, the 64-bit driver isn't from 2015 and installs properly.

All is well, except for the wound in my geek cred. BTW, if anyone reads up on Lutris and Mint... yeah, the 32-bit AMD drivers don't just not work, they aren't needed (whatever you read).

I am so glad I did not read the chain of edits till now, when everything is fine.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

I do, but double-adapting is... not ideal. It's one of these guys. I have cleaned it, taken it apart down to the base, hand-repaired switch mechanisms (there was some jerry-rigging involved there at times), and neither Scott nor modernity itself will be able to pry it from my cold dead hands. Both have tried, both have failed.

While I wouldn't use one of those myself these days, I have many fond memories of playing TIE Fighter, Civilization, and Chips Challenge with that exact model back in the day.

steam_sig.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @ceres if your cord is detachable, you can get one of these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SDL-to-USB-SOARER-S-CONVERTER-Clicky-Keyboard-Cable-6ft-IBM-Lexmark-Model-M/273156390075?pageci=6b1a0ceb-cc53-4f93-887e-b735634c7bd1

The Model M is such a well loved keyboard that there's a vibrant enthusiast community keeping it going on current hardware.

• 1nvent1nvent Registered User new member
    Hello, friend. Did you manage to run this game on Linux? If not, try to use Lutris, it should help you.

I did end up with Lutris, it runs a little weird and it treats battle.net a little weird, but it works. Thanks. :)

• charrlescharrles Registered User new member
    I did end up with Lutris, it runs a little weird and it treats battle.net a little weird, but it works. Thanks. :)
    Hi ceres, how did u solved the problem? I met the same question and cannot run on Linux

Cheap WoW Gold with fast delivery and professional services.Legal and Safe here https://www.pvpbank.com/wowclassic-gold