As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    What about Commander Keen? I picked up 1-5 on sale recently and am looking forward to playing through them again. Loved them as a kid. Probably still have the old copies around somewhere but figured spending 3 bucks on steam was easier than finding both sizes of floppy drive.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    KaEq8aY.jpg

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I get it!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I grabbed original Doom on Switch, since I actually haven't played it since the 90's, and I'm having a blast with it. I get the technical complaints, especially the fucken Bethesda login, but I don't much care when I'm lying in bed blowing away demons.

It's surprising that given how basic the gameplay is - have guns, point at bad guys, run around looking for keys in maze levels - it's absolutely perfect shooter fun.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Gah, just had a perfectly good run in Doom: VFR ruined by a bug that makes your gun just straight up stop shooting. You can still see your hand pulling the trigger, but nothing comes out. Well took that as a sign to stop playing for the night.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    sometimes you find something on youtube that evokes powerful nostalgia beams, in this case waiting an hour for a 300mb frag video to download from fileplanet.de or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRV0tclxXMQ

2003 was a better era fronds

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Wow that is some great stuff. Nice to see Quake 3 in action again, and how it is the apotheosis of id’s level design work begun in the original Doom. I can completely understand the repeat attempts to bring Quake 3 back-it’s really got a unique, streamlined aesthetic punch where the levels are almost a racetrack and everything is speed/reaction/nonhesitation.

It’s like a supremely stripped down roadster built for speed and cornering and nothing else.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    there was a surprising amount of quake 3 in early cs. in beta through 1.3 there was no slow down on jumping and entire classes of weapons were fully accurate in midair ( most notably the mp5/usp/deagle ) and given it was the modified quake 2 engine you could bhop like a madman. it was a very different game...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    I finally played through Sigil from Romero and I started a WAD kick. Doom is so great.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    sometimes you find something on youtube that evokes powerful nostalgia beams, in this case waiting an hour for a 300mb frag video to download from fileplanet.de or whatever

More like waiting twenty minutes to join a server because you had to download the map (often a very minor variation of an existing map but let's do the whole thing anyways), everyone's custom skins, some stats tracking thingy, and a pile of backend stuff that may or may not be malware.

In retrospect I may be juxtaposing my time with Quake online with Unreal Tournament, but that era of FPS, while amazing on many levels, did hit occasional hurdles, that your post just reminded me of now.

"Oh cool, that guy looks like the robot fighter thing from Robotech, glad I had to download a seventh variation on that skin this week..."

Sometimes finding good servers wasn't just about ping, but how much garbage they wanted me to download map to map. You could kind of see it coming when a new map was inbound and like half the population disappeared instantly. Oh, you poor souls, this is your first time here, isn't it?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    This guy yells about Plutonia for a while

https://youtu.be/cVyMsAja5z8

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

More like waiting twenty minutes to join a server because you had to download the map (often a very minor variation of an existing map but let's do the whole thing anyways), everyone's custom skins, some stats tracking thingy, and a pile of backend stuff that may or may not be malware.

In retrospect I may be juxtaposing my time with Quake online with Unreal Tournament, but that era of FPS, while amazing on many levels, did hit occasional hurdles, that your post just reminded me of now.

"Oh cool, that guy looks like the robot fighter thing from Robotech, glad I had to download a seventh variation on that skin this week..."

Sometimes finding good servers wasn't just about ping, but how much garbage they wanted me to download map to map. You could kind of see it coming when a new map was inbound and like half the population disappeared instantly. Oh, you poor souls, this is your first time here, isn't it?

It was a fucking mess, but damn it if I don't get a little bit nostalgic over that no-hold-barred, entirely community-supported wild-ass-west era of online gaming. Nowadays you play on servers run by a big company, on maps only made by said big company, only with gametypes that this company proscribes, and with players using skins that costs 5 dollars a pop or have a 1/1000 chance of dropping from a crate. Probably a lot smoother nowadays, but distinctly lacking that special character of the Unreal Tournament announcer yelling out HEADSHOT when you pop Barney the Dinosaur in the head with the AWP on jeepathon2k, ya know?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    That "wild west" system is what generated many of the big trends in gaming as well. The battle royale fad came directly from DayZ ARMA mod and was very much in the "unregulated pile of servers" style of gaming.

Which is a huge part of why modern AAA multiplayer gaming has become incredibly stale. Without mod-driven creativity to parasite off of, big publishers have no ideas to steal and instead have to keep recycling what they've already got while trying to double-down on shitty lootbox practices. Then they bitch about the cost of game development because they dump tons of cash into restricted content and completely ignore trying to make interesting new content that people want to buy on its own merits.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Tim Willits ended up at Sabre Intersctive.

Which seems odd after Quake Champions was taken off them and given to Willits to head directly, I thought there would be a bit of bad blood there. Guess there’s more to it.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Tim Willits ended up at Sabre Intersctive.

Which seems odd after Quake Champions was taken off them and given to Willits to head directly, I thought there would be a bit of bad blood there. Guess there’s more to it.

Was it taken from them, or did they finish their contract and move on?

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Eh, I'd say to mention Rage in this thread sparingly (at least the original; I haven't played the sequel yet). For an id game it's still pretty mediocre. Now that my brother has a computer that can run it we've been tossing around doing the Legends of the Wasteland co-op missions; maybe that'll be more fun than the singleplayer.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »

It was a fucking mess, but damn it if I don't get a little bit nostalgic over that no-hold-barred, entirely community-supported wild-ass-west era of online gaming. Nowadays you play on servers run by a big company, on maps only made by said big company, only with gametypes that this company proscribes, and with players using skins that costs 5 dollars a pop or have a 1/1000 chance of dropping from a crate. Probably a lot smoother nowadays, but distinctly lacking that special character of the Unreal Tournament announcer yelling out HEADSHOT when you pop Barney the Dinosaur in the head with the AWP on jeepathon2k, ya know?

Also, these communities keep games alive by hosting servers...I can go back and find servers for 20+ year old games because there are people who still host. These days, once the company decides the money isnt worth it anymore, the game disappears.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Eh, I'd say to mention Rage in this thread sparingly (at least the original; I haven't played the sequel yet). For an id game it's still pretty mediocre. Now that my brother has a computer that can run it we've been tossing around doing the Legends of the Wasteland co-op missions; maybe that'll be more fun than the singleplayer.

I really liked the first game, and I’ve put nearly 60 hours into Rage 2. I find them perfectly good id games. Rage 2s shooting is basically an expanded Doom 2016, and some feels like a testbed for Eternal, with the Dash. Really shows id softwares influence.

The more average parts of the game are the Avalanche parts - the open world.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Just finished Amid Evil. Great game! It's not as good as the original games it's being based off of, but I thought it was pretty good, especially for an indie effort. Sound is a big deal for me in these types of games, especially when you are going up against the classics. For the most part, it's great. Your character's laughter when picking up weapons (like Heretic), health pick up sounds, mana pick up sounds, and the "overdrive" power-up are all well done. Weapon wise, it's good but could use some improvement, like firing the ice scepter and firing the lightning trident. The axe is great (and actually useful) and feels like it has that nice heft when you smack enemies with it. The soundtrack is also top notch, lots of good ones. Graphically, it's really well done. It captures the essence of the older games (like using sprites for pick-ups) and the lower poly count. The weapon models are also cool looking too. Some of the enemies are a little boring looking and generic, whereas in the classics everything seemed pretty unique and interesting looking.

To get maximum enjoyment out of this game, I suggest playing it on the highest difficulty (the one after Hard, the equivalent of the Nightmare difficulty in Quake). When I was playing it on Hard, it was way too easy and I was always fully stacked. I think as you get farther along, they got better at balancing mana and health, but a lot of the time you are maxed out on mana. I think some of the weapons could've been more useful or had more punch. The game frequently gives you blue mana for the staff and trident, but often I found myself using the ice scepter/planet thrower because they just were much more effective against enemies in general. Sure, the trident has the chain lightning, but it's damage output is fairly weak unless it's an enemy that's weak to it. Speaking of enemy weakness, it's an interesting idea to keep your other weapons useful and to switch it up.

I think it would've been better to have at least 2-3 more weapons. It feels like just as we are ramping up in the game we've already got all the weapons the game has to offer. I'm not sure what order the episodes came out in, but I always felt like each episode I chose was better than the last. I definitely agree with people that the enemy selection can get a little repetitive due to how they went with a distinct theme for each episode. The game actually has a lot of enemies overall (although a lot of them seem to be simple floating spheres) and a fair amount are fun to fight against. My favorite episode was probably the Arcane one, with all the projectile warlock guys. It was fun to dodge around and battle those enemies. I think if, like Quake and other games, they had levels combining all the different enemies you see, it would've been less monotonous fighting the same few enemies over and over.

This game is definitely a mix of Heretic 1 and Quake 1, but I think it leans a bit more towards Quake 1. One thing's missing though...multiplayer! It would be great to run around and play deathmatch with the "overdrive" being like the Quad Damage. I also hope we can get some support for custom maps or mods and open the game up a bit.

EDIT: I forgot to talk about the level design. It's pretty good and they have some really interesting locales and design (especially the final episode). A lot of it is based on Quake 1 style pushing buttons ("3 more to go...Sequence complete!") to get around. The levels are quite long, usually in the 20-30 minute range for me to complete just one.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Been playing some of the DOOM 2016 multiplayer for the first time lately. It's nice having a game with a loadout system where the weapon choice for that loadout is less dominated by "what range and RoF do you want on this hitscan weapon" and gives you a truly varied selection of weapons to choose from and pair the strengths and weaknesses of. I'd love to be able to play with some of these weapons in single player. Drum fed grenade launchers and battle rifles are my jam.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the multiplayer for DOOM '16. I did have to set up a playlist of the game's soundtrack to play in the background, though. It was weird playing the game with one of its greatest aesthetic strengths totally absent.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    With no radar, loud music would probably make it near impossible to have meaningful situational awareness.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I really liked the first game, and I’ve put nearly 60 hours into Rage 2. I find them perfectly good id games. Rage 2s shooting is basically an expanded Doom 2016, and some feels like a testbed for Eternal, with the Dash. Really shows id softwares influence.

I bought Mad Max at release and that was enough to stroooongly steer me away from Rage 2. Avalanche does fine making a nice-looking open world, but they're terrible at making it worthwhile to do anything in it. Mad Max is like two hours of game duplicated over too much open space, without really any use for the open space.

I'll probably pick up Rage 2 when it gets solidly discounted though.

• Options
    edited August 2019

I bought Mad Max at release and that was enough to stroooongly steer me away from Rage 2. Avalanche does fine making a nice-looking open world, but they're terrible at making it worthwhile to do anything in it. Mad Max is like two hours of game duplicated over too much open space, without really any use for the open space.

I'll probably pick up Rage 2 when it gets solidly discounted though.

That’s a pretty good summary of Rage 2. You can finish the game in about 5 hours and with only the assault rifle and shotgun if you beeline through the story, but that skips 90% of the open world activities, of which there isn’t much variety and mostly boils down to shoot more enemies.

It’s the strength of the id software gunplay that got 60 hours out of me. When you’ve unlocked all your guns and powers it’s so good.

-Loki- on
  • Options
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I liked playing Mad Max, but yeah. There wasn't a lot of variety.

• Options

• Options
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It's probably been well over a decade since I've seen someone reference "DeHackEd"

Might be closer to two.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43d8fICz6gM

Edit: This isn't the QDQ video everyone in this thread has probably watched a dozen times - it's a detailed breakdown of the WR progress for E1M1 specifically.

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Update is out: taking the ps4 version for a spin.

august on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Performance improvements.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Performance improvements.

It's hard optimizing 26 year old games for modern systems after all.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Those are...quite the palette swaps for 1, 2, and 3.

Like, 1996 me could have made those skins just by fiddling with RGB sliders and replacing the files.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Pretty sure they’re also reusing the model from Quake Champions with an added shoulder cannon.

-Loki- on