As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good at Video [chat]s

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Neco wrote: »
    Blazblue is good fighting game

Guilty Gear is ok fighting game

SFV is okish fighting game

That is all

BlazBlue is good but Guilty Gear is just okay?

Winky on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    @credeiki it's really not that hard to be decent at fighting games. The execution aspect is tough but it doesn't take years and years or anything. People who get into a local scene go from "how do I do a hadoken" to semifinal placements within a year sometimes.

They're not significantly more difficult than any other competitive real-time game.

What if you did not grow up at a console and struggle a little bit with controllers instead of kbam?
    What if you are someone who has practiced a different game assiduously for 5 years and are still terrible at it???

(...I lost 3 games of LoL last night just as I’m trying so hard to push to plat and it’s making me so sad)

LoL is different because it's a team game. It's harder to improve, it's harder to be consistent because your performance depends on others, and it's easy to get rolled by circumstance (stacked enemy teams, one person drops or afks, etc), IMO

also you're obviously not "bad," just because you're not in platinum

I grew up using controllers, but I never used fight sticks and hated them. Then my buddy who was really into Street Fighter convinced me to make the switch to a stick, and I adapted to it over a few months before exceeding my previous ability with a controller. It's just about consistent practice rather than skills embedded from childhood, genuinely.

If you get in a lobby with someone better than you in a fighting game, and just play ten matches, you'll leave having noticeably improved. It's great.

I once played almost a hundred matches in a row with Bizazedo from SE++, just grinding mirror matches, and I think it was like 90 to 6 by the end. He just crushed me. But the next day I annihilated everyone I met in ranked and it was wonderful.

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting to buy samurai showdown but my videogame budget is 0 dollars for the rest of the year

edited September 2019
    Winky wrote: »
    Blazblue is good fighting game

Guilty Gear is ok fighting game

SFV is okish fighting game

That is all

BlazBlue is good by Guilty Gear is just okay?

Yes i think it’s way more fun with character designs that I actually like

Ramlethal and that one armed girl are cool lthough

Neco on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    you can play fighting games on KBAM too. I mean the hitbox is basically KBAM but designed for fighting games (larger buttons, better layout than the default most games have)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    did the old death and taxes type cards rotate out or did they make that archetype better for standard

you could build a deck in Standard with some similarities to Death & Taxes, but there's nothing in the new set like Thalia or Sanctum Prelate. Death and taxes hasn't really had a presence in standard for a little while.

But there's a few things in the new set that fit a black/white tempo shell, like

en_Ltoj7uB1n5.png

en_UZOv6cZTkW.png

en_RwvrCqleAz.png

en_fBVhl5KXOh.png

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I am excited at the prospect of a new, simpler Guilty Gear. The fact that it looks like a 3d anime with a budget bankrolled by Jeff Bezos doesn't hurt either.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    I wish there were a fighting game I liked out right now

I bought Samsho and played a fun lobby with my friend but I haven't touched it again

I could try SF5 again but...
    sam sho is good but the online sucks but my brother bought it so maybe I should actually play it again
    don't let SFV hurt you again even though everyone seems pretty happy with the latest 3 characters

I saw some high level Sagat matches and they looked so fuckin boring it put me off one of my fave characters :(

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    guilty gear has a rock and roll witch that whips off her top tho

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

I bought Samsho and played a fun lobby with my friend but I haven't touched it again

sam sho is good but the online sucks but my brother bought it so maybe I should actually play it again
    don't let SFV hurt you again even though everyone seems pretty happy with the latest 3 characters

I saw some high level Sagat matches and they looked so fuckin boring it put me off one of my fave characters :(

I mean it is still more exciting than watching high level Guile.

I do think fighting games have that aspect that shooters often do, where someone can pick them up quickly but it’s usually because you have a lifetime of experience playing that style of game.

It’s hard to realize how much of an effect that has on how well you play a game. I was playing chicken horse with my friend’s girlfriend and she had just never really played any platformers in her life (not even Mario) and I was really surprised how difficult it was for her and how much I took skill in that kind of game for granted.

I think SFV guile is actually more interesting than Sagat

the only SFV I've played in like a year has been Sagat mirror matches against a bro and that matchup is actually fun because you can whiff punish and fireballs matter. and then you play against anyone else and you want to eat the controller

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

it also has an insane physician who will poke you in the butt and cause your character to make an anal joke

and a few characters (like the rock and roll witch) who seem to like getting poked in the butt

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

edited September 2019
    SFV is much better now that both Poison and Juri are in it but it still isn’t as good as bb and gg

Neco on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

As soon as I saw 'the dead preserve the hobbies of every epoc' all I could think about was that illustration of HG Wells playing miniature wargames on his floor with other nerds.
    ldmusmrpfaqelvjws5zp.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Feral wrote: »

it also has an insane physician who will poke you in the butt and cause your character to make an anal joke

and a few characters (like the rock and roll witch) who seem to like getting poked in the butt

Yes, a good example of why I vastly prefer blazblue

I do think fighting games have that aspect that shooters often do, where someone can pick them up quickly but it’s usually because you have a lifetime of experience playing that style of game.

It’s hard to realize how much of an effect that has on how well you play a game. I was playing chicken horse with my friend’s girlfriend and she had just never really played any platformers in her life (not even Mario) and I was really surprised how difficult it was for her and how much I took skill in that kind of game for granted.

My experience with fighting games has been almost the opposite. Taking it seriously shows you how totally useless all your previous game time has been even if you've been playing casual mash games with your buddies for decades

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    A smart person would not play more games of ranked LoL tonight after being mentally exhausted from full day of meetings and physically exhausted from the climbing gym and tilted from losing yesterday

...someone log on tonight and force me to play non-ranked so I don’t lose more...

Play the new magic set instead

This is a sensible financial decision

I’ve never gotten into magic cards. I can absolutely see the appeal but/and I know if I played I would need to be obsessive about it, so I’ve refrained.

You don't need to be obsessive, it's free and you can just dabble, I mean I've only spent...

oh no

Yeah, I see this with all kinds of games. Just little things like parsing salience cues, understanding the difference between an enemy and an NPC at a glance, etc are learned skills

I'm still 100% zero-cash on MTG Arena

feels good man

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i liked the anime girl driving around the old man martial artist mech but she was DLC and apparently hard to play even by guilty gear standards

alas

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yep now the injection site is sore, soon I'll be able to speak to modems.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I haven't spent cash on Hearthstone since *checks*

mid-2017

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I think SFV guile is actually more interesting than Sagat

I guess... Guile has easier poke, anti air and zoning than Sagat. I guess its just that watching Nuckledu pro zone people out becomes so damn boring heh.

I was an arcade kid, so I always liked fighting sticks

but I really don't want to spend $200 on a controller that has no wireless mode for a genre of game that comprises maybe 10% of my total gaming time

that said I am still def going to buy the new guilty gear

And

My experience with fighting games has been almost the opposite. Taking it seriously shows you how totally useless all your previous game time has been even if you've been playing casual mash games with your buddies for decades

Granted, there’s a lot of games where if you want to play them well you have to unlearn bad habits.

i liked the anime girl driving around the old man martial artist mech but she was DLC and apparently hard to play even by guilty gear standards

alas
    she has a weird input for her upkick which you use in her combos (Four Tigers Sword (Reverse) - 623[K]~1/4/7 ) but I don't think she's technical outside of that. You put the ball on top of people and then make them block it and go high or low.

okay but have you played Them's Fightin' Herds?

I own three fight sticks

They are

hard to store

ngl thems fighting herds music slaps
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asB0Co6-Bvg

I have not!

*googles*

...I see

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    I use the dual shock number four for playing the fighting games and I do not use the analog sticks

I’ve actually always had a harder time playing with a proper joystick

Also there’s Dizzy:

https://youtu.be/KbzToVXm70Q

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Hmm Yuan or Qing?

Backwards or Forwards?

Geth, roll 1d2

But Yuan run is really fun!

Im assuming EU4 heh.

Yes. I've played a Horde before, but never ever taken the Mandate except for cheevos. So I'm okay with this dice roll.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I use the dual shock number four for playing the fighting games and I do not use the analog sticks

I’ve actually always had a harder time playing with a proper joystick

My soft, uncalloused thumbs recoiled reading this.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Look at all these non-bushido blade games

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    *looks at thread title*

Hmm, no. I'm more like this

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.