As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IC{ Alien RPG: Chariot of the Gods

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Leah - Pilot
    "Ehh.. maybe. Let's see if we can get the air out of these things first. If we're relying on our own tin cans, we might have to split up just to cover enough ground."

Not sure what I'm rolling to search. Sort of want air, anything the evacuees left behind and why the evacuees fled too

discrider on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Lyron Cham, Roughneck

Realizing he had forgotten the Latin he had tried to learn when giving the dead man a prayer, he whispers to himself up the hallway.

"Remi....? Remmi...remissionem pecca...torum?... carnis resurrection...em.. shit... I need more practice"

Lyron looks at the suits. Abandoned, hanging by the missing pods. He removes his finger from the indicator button.

He points to the closed door. Then to the suit.

"Pods are gone... suit is still here. Whoever jumped in left in a hurry if they didn't grab the suit."

"It doesn't make any sense. If they did get some ancient super flu, why didn't they turn the ship around? Or cruise for the closest help?"

He then points back where they came.

"The flu definitely didn't bend that airlock either. Maybe an explosion? Sure doesn't look like an explosion happened in here..."

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Leah - Pilot

"Flu?"
    Leah smirks.
    "Maybe it was some sort of super bad migraines"
    Leah points his thumb over at the pods.
    "And those guys left with the last pack of aspirin!"

discrider on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Devin Mill - Captain

"It doesn't do us any good to stand around and guess at why someone left the suit behind and took the escape pod. We need to figure out what happened here before we go exploring, and that includes before we consider splitting up."

Devin turns back towards the hallway. "Let's go check out the bridge, see if we can get anything function from up here, otherwise we're going to have to go deeper into the ship."

• Options
    Totally not bumping this solely for science....

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Still here, just no particular input.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    There are no more supplies in the Vestibules of note, a couple of flashlights, some pens and paper, nothing you need at this time. You are able to take the air tanks from the suits, they aren't set up to siphon a little bit off at a time, but you'll be able to exchange them if someone run's out of air.

The bridge is just a short distance away. The ambient lights seem slightly brighter in the hallway as you make your short trip, and when you enter the bridge there is faint illumination from standby lights. The blast shutters have lowered around the view-ports and there is soot on the ceiling. You notice that several stations look like they sustained mild fire damage at some point. There is a command station that is unpowered, along with a holographic display table and a sensor station that both look fine. Beneath the command station should be the MU/TH/UR mainframe access, and you can hear the whir of fans down there, it may be possible to still communicate to the ship's computer.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the life support station is on auxiliary power and is flashing a red light, closer inspection reveals that it is signalling that the carbon filters in the oxygen generation system need to be replaced. The pilot station on the other hand has been attacked. By the looks of it someone took an axe, crowbar, or something else metal and just smashed the thing. Not just for a short while either, it looks like someone spent a good hour breaking it as much as they possibly good. The secondary pilot station is on the other side of the bridge and appears undamaged.
    That's the first turn, everyone who hasn't yet has to make a supply roll. Also a reminder, if you have the motion detector on you'll need to let me know and make a supply roll for that as well.

• Options
    Leah - Pilot

Leah strides across to the auxiliary pilot terminal cracking his fingers.
    'The bad news is, everything looks pretty messed up'
    Leah thumbs over at the MU/Th/Ur console and life support stations.

'The good news is, we've got me, so let's see what we can do with this tin can'
    Leah's hands glide over the auxiliary pilot console, checking subsystems, and figuring out whether they could simply get this decrepit ship to follow them back to port.

Geth roll 8d6k6+1d6k6 for slaving this ship to our freighter

slaving this ship to our freighter:
    8d6k6+1d6k6 19 [8d6k6=[6, 4, 2, 2, 1, 1], 1, 1] [1d6k6=[3]]

• Options
    1 six on 8 and no stress failure is still a win in my books :/

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Devin Mill - Captain

Entering the bridge, Devin feels his gut twist ever so slightly as he sees the main piloting station. Whatever happened to it was done on purpose, and pairing that with the dead body above leads the Captain to some concerning thoughts. Still, his mind goes into crisis mode instead, looking over the screens and warning lights flashing, identifying the various tasks that need to be done. Leah was probably going to uncover the most useful info, but his assessment gave the high level at least.

"Alright, looks like we have a couple things wrong here. While Leah works on that station, it looks like we are on Aux power, and this, " he points to the flashing light, " says that we need to replace the Carbon filters if we have any shot of getting the life support system back up and running. Triage mode everyone, what else do we see?"

Geth roll 5d6t6 for Air Supply
    Geth roll 4d6t6 for Perception
    For the second roll, I'm just kind of assuming it's the same as D&D perception in that looking around for key items and getting successes or not off that.
    Air Supply - Down to 4 (I did this roll wrong from a which to keep perspective)

Just as a note, I intentionally didn't turn the motion tracker on yet. I figure Devin would save it until he truly felt threatened, so for now, he isn't using it.

Air Supply:
    5d6t6 0 [5d6t6=4, 1, 3, 2, 3]
    Perception:
    4d6t6 2 [4d6t6=6, 1, 6, 3]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    Leah is able to interface with the auxiliary console, but quickly realizes everything with it is not as it should be. Certain functions have been disabled, some of the switches and buttons simply don't work. A quick glance at the working underneath shows that while this console wasn't sabotaged as thoroughly and obviously as the primary, it has been sabotaged none the less.

You do manage to link the Cronus to the Monterro. When you do so the lights noticeably brighten in the bridge and you hear the fan of the MU/TH/UR's system on the Cronus pick up. In a few minutes your suit's sensors even have read a small increase in temperature, it looks like your actions have woken the sleeping Cronus up, at least partly.

Captain Mills meanwhile is able to take stock of the Bridge, it's not so different from ones you've been on before. The Cronus has no significant damage, and the systems are all shut down but in working order, as evidenced by their slow coming to life around you. Briefly the ships sensors even detect some movement a few hundred KM out, but by the time you can react and try to take a closer look the signal is gone. Possibly just an error caused by the system coming on after so long, but your gut tells you there is more to it.

In more immediately concerning news you are happy to see that the ships Cryo-Pods show as green, indicating not only that they are functional but that they have turned on. It looks like there are some survivors on the Cronus after all. The ship will warm up over time to a habitable level soon, and if you are able to replace the air filters the whole ship will soon be survivable, if not comfortable, for an unsuited human.

• Options
    Lyron Cham, Roughneck

geth roll 5d6 for air supply

Lyron views the bridge. "This place looks like hell. burns. Sabotaged consoles... Crew mutinied?"

He notes the cryo-pod lights indicating operation.

"See Leah, you take care of your equipment it takes care of you"

How many pods are indicating occupation?

Lyron goes to the Mu/Th/Ur console and touches it gently.

"Come on baby, wake up for me."

He presses the keys to speak to he mainframe and get a ships log, and a crew and cargo manifest (with particular interest in where replacement scrubbers are stored), printed if possible.

I'd also like to assess the command station for reconnecting the power. If I can flip it back on i will do so or try to determine the repairs needed. what should I roll?

Does the holo display table display anything?

air supply:
    5d6 17 [5d6=3, 1, 4, 5, 4]

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    JJ Wilson, W-Y Field Rep

"If we're going to wake anyone up, let's be smart about it - get one awake and find out what happened."

Wilson has been unable to shake a creepy feeling since the team woke up. He's held on to the shotgun, holstering the pistol the captain gave him, and seems jumpy.

Geth, roll 5d6 for Air Supply

Air Supply:
    5d6 18 [5d6=5, 6, 3, 3, 1]

• Options
    Leah - Pilot

Leah curses at the console.
    Everything isn't reacting to his touch, and that is just not on.

He smooths his hair.
    "S'pose so Lyron.
    Can't imagine Mr Ventilated back there would have turned down a pod if offered though. And the others left completely.

Maybe it was mutiny and the mutineers turfed the losers out, but then why smash the controls?"

Leah shakes his head.
    "Once you've had a chat with Mu/Th/Ur any chance of having a look at fixing this aux console? Would be good to get off this ghost ship ASAP"

Leah turns to Wilson.
    "And I don't know about waking people up.
    We're still in the tail end of nowhere.
    Mutineers aside"

• Options
    The pods status display doesn't indicate how many of the pods are active from here, it could be one person or it could be dozens, you'll have to manually check. The command station itself is fine, the generators to the ship are starting to kick on as the ships wakes up after it's long slumber, the command station should become active soon enough, along with the holo display.

After a delay the mainframe comes on and text slowly comes across the screen, the Cronus' MU/TH/UR speaking to you. "CRITICAL MISSION PRIORITY: RECOVER DATA, RECOVER SAMPLES. SECONDARY MISSION PRIORITY: ASCERTAIN STATUS OF THE CRONUS AND MAKE NECESSARY REPAIRS TO RECOVER SHIP. TERTIARY MISSION PRIORITY: ASCERTAIN STATUS OF CREW. REMAIN ON THE CRONUS, ALL OTHER PRIORITIES RESCINDED."
    The ship will take some more time to fully power up, and the bridge functions are going to be one of the last things to receive power. Besides the piloting capabilities though everything else on the bridge appears functional.

• Options
    I take it that means no ship log or manifest for me yet, and nothing on the holo table?

• Options
    Devin Mill - Captain

Devin sighs slightly as the MU/TH/UR spins online, changing their objectives. "Alright everyone, looks like the job has changed."

He pauses for a second collecting his thoughts. "New list of priorities. One, we need to get to Cryo and see who's still here. Two, we're sample hunting now, so we're going to need to get to those science labs. Three, we need to get this ship up and running."

"Now, normally I'd just send everyone to their stations, but I'm still not comfortable with what we've found here so far. So, either we go as one big group, or we split into two teams at most. Given the company has decided to change our objectives on us, I'm opening the decision up to everyone on which you want."

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Rye has been following and listening. Now, she speaks up. "If it means we get off this thing faster, I'm for splitting up, Cap'n."

(OOC: Sorry I'm not keeping up. Part of it is I don't know the setting super well, so I feel a bit at a loss at times.)

geth roll 5d6 air supply

air supply:
    5d6 14 [5d6=4, 4, 4, 1, 1]

• Options
    Leah rolls his eyes at the new objectives.
    'What do we need to stay on this rust-bucket for?
    We have a perfectly not sabotaged ship over the umbilical.'

Leah strides over to the MU/TH/UR terminal.
    'In fact,' Leah jacks his audiocaster in, 'Here's a mission update for you'

Geth roll 3d6t6+1d6t6 for tunes

tunes:
    3d6t6+1d6t6 1 [3d6t6=5, 4, 6] [1d6t6=3]

• Options
    Leah chuckles as he drops 'Staying Alive' onto the terminal

• Options
    (OOC: Sorry I'm not keeping up. Part of it is I don't know the setting super well, so I feel a bit at a loss at times.)
    Pretty sure we're wandering around this ship until we get eaten, and that's about the limit of the setting?

• Options
    Devin Mill - Captain

Devin sighs lightly at Leah. "Our payday is now dependent on this rust bucket. So if you enjoy actually getting paid at the end of this, we need to work it out over here."

• Options
    Leah scrunches his face.
    'Well, I'd suggest at least pressurising this ship through the umbilical but .. I don't think ... umbilicals are built to that spec'.

Leah pushes himself up on a nearby bench, or attempts to before discovering yet again that the suits aren't as flexible as he would like.
    'I'm happy to split up. I'm not sure how well our air supplies will hold up otherwise.
    We've got, what, replace the air scrubbers, de-ice some crew, 'weird', and de-sabotaging the auxiliary pilot'

• Options
    JJ Wilson

A rattled Wilson hasn't stopped pacing in his suit. His expression darkens at the news that they're to stay aboard the derelict.

"Well," says Wilson, "I suppose I can take someone with me to see what we can find out about what was going on here."

"Who can you spare from trying to sort out repairs, captain?"

• Options
    Lyron Cham, Roughneck

"due respect Cap, we can't secure anything if we all are breathing space, and a pay day's worth nothing if we're dead. Don't go getting yourself some kind of plague for money.

"Now I'd like to go fix the air before we do work here."

Lyron can't help but notice Wilson pacing. He's seen people have a panic attack on ship before, and knew it was best to head it off in advance.

"Deep slow breaths buddy. You get in any trouble, just shout. The med equipment can take care of a lot of stuff they couldn't back when this ship was launched, now let's focus, you know what these "samples" look like?"

• Options
    Devin Mill - Captain

Devin nods at Lyron. “It’s a good point.” A checklist begins to form in his head.

“What and who do you need? Your job, you’re point.”

• Options
    Leah looks around at the crew.
    'I'm not much for rough work. I can fly and I guess use large machinery better than anyone, but that's about it.
    Unless you need something shot or need someone to get somewhere in a hurry.'

Leah stands up and cups his hands behind his head.
    'Or supervising. I can supervise pretty good'

• Options
    @Neaden about that ship manifest? Also do we have radios in our suits?

• Options
    @JebusUD Sorry for missing it earlier, no manifest available, you do have radio's on your suit which includes limited communication back home to MU/TH/UR
    @Cheeseliker the setting isn't too complicated, just picture run down 70's future and you'll be close 99% of the time. it's mostly about the mood.
    @discrider a point of clarification, the ship is pressurised but the atmosphere doesn't have enough oxygen in it until you get the CO2 Scrubbers back online.

• Options
    Lyron Cham, Roughneck

"Any extra set of hands will do. I suppose you can come supervise holding tools Leah."

Lyron smirks a bit. Who knows what Leah would get into without him? If he is holding air scrubbers he can't be blowing himself up on any loose wiring.

"Stay close, and I'll teach you a thing or two."

• Options
    Leah winces. Air scrubbers sounded heavy.

'Fair enough. If you need a second set of hands.'
    Leah glances at the map, 'Although, I can't see a way into the air scrubber shaft? Is it not manual replacement?'

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    "I'm down for weird," Rye says. "Let's get what we need and we can get off this rock sooner rather than later."

• Options
    Devin Mill - Captain

"We don't all need to go fix the scrubbers. Lyron, Leah, Rye, the three of you can go figure out the fix we need. Wilson and Myself can make our way to Cryo and see about whoever is left there."

Devin taps his hands on the sides of the console as he thinks. "We're limited in weapons still, should we need some defense. I still want to check out the armory too. But we need the air systems back online. Our suits aren't going to last forever."

• Options
    Lyron Cham, Roughneck

"Great, lets get it fixed up team.

Cap, I don't think a bunch of freeze dried mutineers are going to put up that much fight. Best to be there when we turn the air back on though. The chambers might automatically kick them out then."
    I've been really busy. Not sure where we are going to get into the air scrubber shaft and not had time to look at the map. Wherever one of you guys say we are going is fine.

• Options
    JJ Wilson, W-Y Field Rep

Wilson looks relieved that there's a plan.

"Sounds fine, Captain."

• Options
    Leah - 'Pilot'

Leah glances around.
    'I'm following you Cham. I assume these scrubbers can't be much different from our own'
    Let's either assume with Cham bring the mechanic, she knows where she it's going, or we roll mechanics of some sort to figure out out
    @JebusUD

• Options
    I assume Neaden was eaten by the Alien. I work a ton all week and am not going to look at the map and figure out where to go until like friday. Lets just move toward whatever to closest room that says "air scrubber shaft" in it is.

• Options
    sorry everyone, had a run of bad luck with computer troubles and work getting crazy, I'll try to get a post up tomorrow and start posting now regularly

• Options
    The Air Scrubber shaft is on B deck where you are, the Cryo's are on A Deck. You'll be able to remain in communication even split up thanks to your radios.
    The group leaves the bridge together, heading down the hallway past the already explored vestibule and towards the stairwell where you split off. The group going to the Air scrubbers passes the Mess Hall, a quick glance as you pass by shows that it looks like a pack of feral dogs went through the place decades ago, it's a mess with the rotten remains of food still strewn about. You quickly reach the Air Scrubber shaft, where the ships oxygen should be being gnerated. Instead the shaft is dark, with only the emergency lights on, illuminating ice at the bottom of the shaft. The way this works that water should be liquid, allowing electrolysis to generated oxygen from there while the scrubber removes CO2. Those filters are caked with a thick layer of mold, like you would expect after decades in a damp room before they slowly froze. With the Cronus' MU/TH/UR awake the power is slowly starting to come back on, and the water will melt. You'll need to spend some time cleaning out the scrubbers to get them working though.

The other group heads upstairs into the stairwell, as you enter you hear something fall downstairs. The air is starting to move as the ship powers on, which could have caused something to fall. You get back to the deck you came in on, on one end you see where the MU/TH/UR mainframe is located, though you lack the keys to get in. On the opposite side of the ship is the Cryo bay. The doors to the Cryo Bay are locked and damaged, it looks like an animal tried to get in here, or maybe an axe wielding maniac...The door has a blinking red hazard indicator light on, indicating that the door has locked as a safety precaution, based on what you saw on the bridge it's detected that the CO2 content in the ship has made it too hazardous to any sleeping crew to wake up, it should unlock once the bridge detects it is safe.
    It's a Heavy Machinery roll to clear out the scrubbers and it will take 2 turns. One of you can make the roll, others can assist. A heavy Machinery roll can also get you into the Cryo Chamber.

• Options
    Lyron Cham, Roughneck

Lyron looks around at the wrecked rooms that they have walked by or into. "This doesn't look like a mutiny. This looks like someone lost their damn mind"

Lyron hears the clang. "Systems are coming online. We will want those doors open when the air starts. I doubt they all went nuts. Probably just the poor one in the entry. Just in case the others have lost it too, we don't want a bunch of crazies running around."

"Rye, you work the door"

Lyron climbs down off the loader

Looking in the air shaft he gets a good whif of newly warmed over mold. Recoiling a bit from the smell.

"Whew. It's like a wet dog rolled in the solid waste system on these filters. It'll take a bit, but I think we can just clean them. You can help me with this one, Leah"