As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Meeqe wrote: »
    Could you elaborate more on that? I have no idea how brake bias will affect how a car handles.

As fuel is burned, the car's weight balance will change, also changing tyre grip levels front to rear. Adjusting how much pressure is fed into the front and rear brake lines when the driver stomps on the brake pedal is necessary to keep the car braking as efficiently as possible. You can also adjust the brake bias to change how the car behaves under braking and turn-in to a corner. More front brake will make it understeer, and more rear brake will make it oversteer.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    While Russia may not be the most exciting GP, it's on at an excellent time for me locally - 7pm start on a Sunday night is a lot more favourable than after 9pm due to extremely early work commitments on Monday morning

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Meeqe wrote: »
    Could you elaborate more on that? I have no idea how brake bias will affect how a car handles.

As fuel is burned, the car's weight balance will change, also changing tyre grip levels front to rear. Adjusting how much pressure is fed into the front and rear brake lines when the driver stomps on the brake pedal is necessary to keep the car braking as efficiently as possible. You can also adjust the brake bias to change how the car behaves under braking and turn-in to a corner. More front brake will make it understeer, and more rear brake will make it oversteer.

You'll also adjust it for general track level grip changes, like track temperature, weather, etc. F1 takes this to the extreme during qualifying when you'll see drivers adjusting the brake bias almost every corner, depending on how they want the car to rotate through a corner.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Fun quali, LeClerc's "I fucked that fucking last sector" and then silence after learning his position was amazing.

Race is at 6am here tomorrow, and I have Formula SAE car testing* at 830am, so I'll probably be up watching it.

Enrolled in UW-Madison's Applied Math, Engineering, and Physics (yes, the official degree title uses the oxford comma because they are not monsters) bachelors degree program, focusing my degree on Aerodynamics. I'm also on the school's Formula SAE team on the Aero design, fabrication, and implementation team. Gonna get me a chance to get a lot of great practical experience working on a team that is expected to be top 5 out of 120. Just one step closer to getting on an F1 team

Veevee on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    That is super awesome Veevee!

• Options
    That is super awesome Veevee!

If you're going to do a life change and go back to school in your mid-30's, might as well aim high.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Quali
    Standouts once again Leclerc and Hamilton. Ferrari clearly the best car by a good margin at the minute, at least on quali pace. Race pace is a bit unclear, and will likely remain so as sochi is yet another track with next to no overtaking options.

In non-quali news, a major development with Mclaren going back to Mercedes in 2021! I'm a bit surprised considering they'd only just managed to get somewhere with Renault but at the same time the Merc engine is solid. It leaves Merc supplying 4 teams (unless anything else changes) and Renault supplying only their works team. Have to admit, Mclaren-Mercedes just sounds right to me.
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.mclaren-to-use-mercedes-power-from-2021.5cCcdKBm1VvNWJUwunfD1Y.html

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    That's one heck of a coin toss, specially with the new aero rules and that it seems Ferrari finally has the upper hand in the engine department.

I would've probably wanted then back with Honda, but chances are the Red Bull agreement would mean they were getting not as much attention.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    McLaren supplies every team with an ECU, so I imagine they have a pretty good handle on the available engines and their future development. A Mercedes engine may not be the absolute best, but it is the best bang for your buck

• Options
    I also wouldn't count Merc out on the engine side. They can't do much mid season because of the engine rules, but I'm sure they'll go back to factory in the off season and find some power.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    F1 engines are so fantastically complex that I'm sure they've already got a mountain of good ideas on how to make more power. Just gotta figure out what's worth compromising on and/or what avenue is worth pushing for a technology breakthrough

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I'm expecting a fairly dull race today if I'm honest. Even if Hamilton got close to Leclerc, there's no way he gets past with the Ferrari straight line advantage. Likewise I would not be surprised if it ends with a Ferrari 1-2 for the same reason. Assuming it's dry of course.

Edit: Remember it's an early one, less than 30 mins until race start!

altid on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I think we're gonna see something weird from redbull to avoid falling off.
    otherwise my eyes are on Sainz.

• Options
    Great starts from Vettel and the Mclarens

• Options
    altid wrote: »
    Great starts from Vettel and the Mclarens
    Just heard on the radio Ferrari are looking to swap :(
    Poor Vettel and fuck that political bullshit

• Options
    Gah I hate that bullshit. Just let the drivers race.

• Options
    Well, it’s clear who Ferrari favour. Leclercs whinging paying dividends.

• Options
    Well, it’s clear who Ferrari favour. Leclercs whinging paying dividends.
    I get that Leclerc is the golden boy and he's a great driver but Vettel is faster right now today so let him race his race.

• Options
    Leclerc won’t give over, will he? I think it’s a valid point that Vettel’s start was so good that it was just a legitimate overtake regardless of strategy. That and if you want a freebie past your teammate, you have to stay close.

• Options
    Leclerc won’t give over, will he? I think it’s a valid point that Vettel’s start was so good that it was just a legitimate overtake regardless of strategy. That and if you want a freebie past your teammate, you have to stay close.
    Leclerc thinks he offered the stream and that is why but I think everyone else sees that Vettel was just so far off the start he earned it.
    He's also set multiple fastest laps.
    Vettel having an amazing start to this race and honestly I hope he wins.

• Options
    Hanging Vettel out to dry looks like. If they do that I’d love to see it all backfire horribly for them. Of course with Ferrari it’s hard to tell if it’s intentionally bad or just normal Ferrari.

• Options
    Oh My God.
    Fucking gutted for Vettel.

Ferarri also appears to be turbofucking themselves because of this?
    Leclerc is not only gonna lose but ferrari might end up with a hopeful third.

• Options
    Another fucking safety car (poor Russell :( ) so Merc basically has this now?

• Options
    Luck hands Merc a win, then kick takes it back again (possibly).

Gutted for Vettel. He was clearly the fastest today, got screwed by strategy and got screwed by reliability.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Race looks dead now. A pity. Was very exciting for this track.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Hamilton set 2 fastest laps in a row but he's on 5 lap older tires than Leclerc I think so I'm worried about his degradation

• Options
    Leclerc not past Bottas yet though. Just chews through the available tyre life and laps available.

• Options
    Not sure how I feel about this talk of continuing on with a busted mgu-k. Potentially very dangerous depending on what the failure is given it's 95% of the rear brakes.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Leclerc not past Bottas yet though. Just chews through the available tyre life and laps available.
    Yeah I was way wrong on the tires.
    Leclerc's are only 2 laps newer than Hamilton and Leclerc is hovering around 1 second behind Bottas for like 8 laps now so I think it's gotta be over.

• Options
    there are 8 laps left Charles, how the fuck are you falling off Bottas on newer tires and a faster car....

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Aridhol wrote: »
    there are 8 laps left Charles, how the fuck are you falling off Bottas on newer tires and a faster car....
    One or two laps newer means fuck all around a low degradation track.

And I don't think you realise just how punishing dirty air is.

AND a faster quali car does not automatically mean a faster race car.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Dirty air = less grip = overheating tires. He has to keep dropping back to let them cool or they'll be nuked into oblivion. That 2 lap wear advantage is almost certainly gone by now even with managing them.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Albon should be driver of the day

• Options
    Albon drove well all day but Seb was by far. by far, the most entertaining with an incredible start and pace. If he had finished there would have been no question of DOTD.
    No disrespect to Albon but the results were foreseen 15 laps in, no question.

• Options
    Post race
    As a Hamilton fan, quite happy with the result, especially given the difference in pace. That said, would have been interesting to see how a 'normal' race would have played out with relative pace. Hamilton held on well enough in the first stint and fresher, faster tyres could have seen him catch up. I doubt passing was possible though. Ferrari too quick in a straight line and Merc too quick in S3.

The Leclerc/Vettel issue is going to be a mess to sort out, but I'm more or less on Vettel's side with this one. Aside from the fact he was quicker in the race, it makes more sense to do a swap when you've built a gap and can do it safely (unless one car is clearly faster that is). I also think his start was good enough that, cooperation or not, he was getting P1. Leclerc passively agressively whinging about it for 20 laps or so doesn't exactly help either. Vettel was pretty clearly screwed by strategy gifting Leclerc a 4.5s or so undercut without response. Frankly I don't see any future for Vettel with Ferrari. Seems pretty clear they'll go out of their way to keep Leclerc happy, no point sticking around for that.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I’m probably a bit more neutral about the whole thing. I really don’t like talk of drivers “whinging”, because they are driving cars at 200mph and full of adrenaline for two hours. I forgive them the shit they say on the radio because it’s too easy for us sitting on our couches to armchair quarterback. I do think Vettel deserved the lead on merit but I also know how political of a team Ferrari is. It creates a machiavellian environment where everyone is out to kill or be killed.

In the grand scheme of things Charles is definitely Ferrari’s future...and I don’t have a ton of sympathy for Vettel in the long run. He’s created his own misery half the time with bone headed driving and unforced errors over the last couple of years. I think he’s a great guy away from the track and he’s a legend of the sport but he’s not done himself a ton of favors in the turbo hybrid era.

Obviously happy for a Hamilton win as I always am, even if it’s a lucky one. He’s now got a 73 point lead, so it’s looking like Mexico will be the the first chance for a wrap up. Selfishly I hope it goes to America 8-)

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Conspiracy Theorist in me:
    Ferrari flipped a switch and shut Vettel down for insubordination. He was clearly faster than LeClerc and was definitely going to try passing LeClerc.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I do, however, agree they should bring the fucking v12 back. Just a more enjoyable experience with them.

• Options
    Never happening. People need to get over it. V12’s have no road relevance and given the current climate situation it would be a horribly bad look. Even NASCAR is seriously considering a swap to V6’s because the manufacturers want it.

• Options
    I like the idea of opening up the engine requirements to whatever the teams want to do, but only allow a limited ammount of fuel used for the race. It would be pretty amazing for Ferrari to show up with a v12, Merc with a what they use now, while Honda rocks a massively turboed v4.

This discussion has been closed.