As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Sonic 2's Chaos Emerald gathering was too cheap. The whole 50 ring at the goalpost requirement, and then the levels themselves. I could never get Super Sonic without a code.

Same, though it's probably the most generous of the Classic Sonic lot, giving you multiple potential opportunities per act, rather than just one at the end.

(Which doesn't help me because I'm trash at most Special Stage types, anyway.)

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Oh, good, it's not just me.

I cannot manage a single one of those damn things in Sonic Mania. On top of being terrible in the actual levels.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Sonic 2's Chaos Emerald gathering was too cheap. The whole 50 ring at the goalpost requirement, and then the levels themselves. I could never get Super Sonic without a code.

Same, though it's probably the most generous of the Classic Sonic lot, giving you multiple potential opportunities per act, rather than just one at the end.

Sonic 3 had multiple Chaos Emerald opportunities per act as well.

Sonic 1 was super stingy with the bonus stages, but then all it did was slightly change the ending, so meh.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I cannot manage a single one of those damn things in Sonic Mania. On top of being terrible in the actual levels.

Definitely not just you -- there's not a single 2D Sonic game where emerald collecting isn't a giant pain in the ass.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Off-screen footage of someone playing the PC-Engine Mini while the audio from the trailer for Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls plays in the background:
    https://youtu.be/6wLVyZ8XiRM

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Sonic is a bunch of easy games for people too sissy to play Mario like me. Y'all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Advance 1 can go fuck itself though. I can't even see where the stupid rings are in 3D space.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Playing as Sonic & Tails made the Emerald gathering crazy hard. The lag on Tails reacting in the Special Stage was rough. It was way easier as a solo character though!

I see this a lot, but I don't get it. Tails only collects and loses rings you'd have missed anyway.

No? Let's say there's rings in the left position of the halfpipe, then bombs immediately after. So you drift Sonic into the left and then either jump or move out of the way in time to dodge the bombs. Tails follows what you did, but with a delay, and in that delay he eats a bomb. That takes rings from your count. If you're saying that Tails can only lose rings that he himself picked up, I'm pretty sure it does NOT work that way in several versions of that Special Stage, if it ever works that way.

edited October 2019
    That's exactly how it works. Each character has their own separate ring score which combines to a total for passing the goals. Tails will typically stay in back and can't go below 0 rings (although it can suck if you push him into the front by hitting bombs /jumps the wrong way.)

latest?cb=20160821153236

Some of the stages however have slightly higher ring requirements when you have sonic + tails instead of either one solo. So if you don't feel like managing tails then yeah its gonna get a bit harder.

Also Knuckles has really low requirements for whatever reason.

rahkeesh2000 on

Sonic 3 had multiple Chaos Emerald opportunities per act as well.

Sonic 1 was super stingy with the bonus stages, but then all it did was slightly change the ending, so meh.

I couldn't remember if Sonic 3 had more than one Warp Ring per act, or if there were as many as there are checkpoints.
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Definitely not just you -- there's not a single 2D Sonic game where emerald collecting isn't a giant pain in the ass.

That said, Sonic CD's are my favorite, and recently learning that you can slow Sonic down has helped me get better at them.

Also, Generations 3DS follows the Sonic 2 style, but they're REALLY easy -- so easy that even I could do them all!

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Polygon recently had a look at the Japanese version of the Genesis/MD Mini, particularly the games we're missing out on here in the west.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    That Japanese version does seem import worthy.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I wonder if the hackers will figure a way of simply having the US/EU, Japanese, and Asian games line-ups installed and switchable somehow on just the one machine. That'd be a way of getting partially around the one-giant-bitmap menu image limitation too, at least for those games.

Jazz wrote: »
    I wonder if the hackers will figure a way of simply having the US/EU, Japanese, and Asian games line-ups installed and switchable somehow on just the one machine. That'd be a way of getting partially around the one-giant-bitmap menu image limitation too, at least for those games.

Probably! You can do something like that with the NES and SNES Classics via a multi boot method. I've already seen video of someone I know running the US Genesis Mini firmware on his SNES.

Another fun tidbit about the Genesis Mini discovered via the hacking efforts:

There are "leftover" roms on the console that are not accessible, at least not from the system UI:

Gauntlet IV (JP unit only)
    Aladdin (JP and EU units)
    Mortal Kombat II (US and EU units)

It'd be neat if there were some secret code you could enter in the menu to access these games, but that is probably not the case.

Oof, I was really hoping for Gauntlet IV, since that was M2's first game.

Oof, I was really hoping for Gauntlet IV, since that was M2's first game.

I remember it being pretty good! I tried to replay it with my wife last year, but her initial excitement kinda died when she saw the graphics. Her fond memories of Gauntlet are from the Dark Legacy era on PS2. Not that she has anything against pixel-based graphics, but it just wasn't the Gauntlet she wanted to play.

• QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    My username gives away the fact I played Gauntlet a lot as a kid!

steam_sig.png
    Questor wrote: »
    My username gives away the fact I played Gauntlet a lot as a kid!

Elf shot the food!

Wasn't Gauntlet 4 the one with the great music?

Yes but you could also call it the one with music... don't recall too many versions having any background music.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    As a child who grew up spending WAY too much money on Guantlet I and II in the arcade, I'm shocked to find that there was a Gauntlet 4 I never knew about....and it's a better-than-arcade port? Incredible.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited October 2019
    The quest in Gauntlet 4 sounds neat.

It is really cliche, but neat.

Krathoon on
    My UK Mega Drive Mini has shipped! It'll be here tomorrow.

Yes but you could also call it the one with music... don't recall too many versions having any background music.

That weird first NES game had music. Not sure about the second NES one though.

I mostly played Gauntlet on the Spectrum. Fairly typically for the machine, it had music on the title screen, but not in-game. It kept the synthesized speech on the 128K version, though, which was cool.

Trying to remember if I played it on the Atari ST as well.

I never really played the sequels, though. You guys are making me want to check out Gauntlet IV.

I would say Gauntlet 4 would be a collector's item.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

I do like how it looks. If only not for those controllers...honestly, that might be the way I go regardless, and just figure out how to get a 6-button controller separately.

Synthesis on

I do like how it looks. If only not for those controllers...honestly, that might be the way I go regardless, and just figure out how to get a 6-button controller separately.

I'm still weighing up a Japanese or Asian one later on as well with 6-button controllers. But back in the day I only had the 3-button ones, so I'll be happy with the feel of them for the nostalgia kick.

It helps that I couldn't care less about Street Fighter II on it; that's a game I'd rather just bust out the SNES Classic for.

I ordered a Japanese Mega Drive mini from Play Asia. They really stick it to you on shipping.

Krathoon wrote: »
    Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOagvSmosBg

Although this was the stand-out best song on the OST. There are a few other good songs, and then some forgettable stuff. It's not that long of a soundtrack, but for a Gauntlet game it was pretty impressive. With some of the songs you can definitely tell that the guys who would eventually compose for Tactics Ogre and FFT were behind this game.

Krathoon wrote: »
    Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOagvSmosBg

Although this was the stand-out best song on the OST. There are a few other good songs, and then some forgettable stuff. It's not that long of a soundtrack, but for a Gauntlet game it was pretty impressive. With some of the songs you can definitely tell that the guys who would eventually compose for Tactics Ogre and FFT were behind this game.

Hell yeah this is good stuff. I kinda remember playing the game with my brother and friends. We probably beat it. We had the 4-player adapter, which was nice.

As a kid, I only ever played Gauntlet 2 on NES, as far as the old school ones go. I did play the N64 ports of the 3D arcade games as well. I only learned of Genesis Gauntlet 4 in recent years. I wish I could have played it back in the day, since it looks to have been much improved over the NES ones.

edited October 2019
    It's here!

So before I go and hook it up, here's the obligatory picture with its older sibling, my Frankenstein'd Mega Drive which has the guts and bottom half of a UK unit under the top half of a Japanese one:

od19qiu8i5t0.jpg

It's so flippin' cute :)

Edit: and with the SNES Classic:

lt7oannmmt02.jpg

Jazz on
    I have too many Genesis controllers.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The wife gave me the Genesis classic for my birthday. I have no open ports on my TV.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The wife gave me the Genesis classic for my birthday. I have no open ports on my TV.

I have to run my PS Classic through the HDMI input on my Xbox for the same reason.

edited October 2019
    A couple of thoughts:

I think the CRT filter is actually very, very good - probably the best I've seen - at actually recreating the look of how these games were on a CRT TV. But I do have a big criticism of it, which is that it makes everything significantly darker, unlike most other examples. Enough that I'm not sure I'll actually use it. Which is a shame given how good it is otherwise at what it sets out to do.

Setting it to English in the languages menu, of course it uses the UK ROMs. What I don't know is if there's any way to get it to use the American Genesis ROMs for the games that are different to the UK ones (such as Castlevania: Bloodlines and Contra: Hard Corps, which are Castlevania: The New Generation and Probotector over here). Now that it's available over here, hopefully brighter minds than mine will be able to answer that question soon. (Edit: found them. See edit below!)

Altered Beast was never a great game, but it has aged even worse than you'd think. One thing it does do quite well is create an atmosphere, and graphically it can be decent, it's just sorely lacking in gameplay. A shame, as the actual concept of the game isn't a bad one.

Sonic is still good fun, though. And Streets of Rage 2 is still one of the finest beat-'em-ups ever made (and of course with that rarest of beat-'em-up inclusions, an optional female protagonist in Blaze, that really makes it stand out even more for an early-'90s game). So far those are all I've played on it.

I also wondered if the controller would work for the Genesis/MD Classics on Steam. And it does, you just need to set it up in Input Options first (which actually took me a couple of tries, it's not exactly intuitive and initially I had everything on the D-pad reversed!), and it doesn't seem to want to navigate the UI with it (it expects a modern Xinput controller), but in-game it works fine.

EDIT: Looks like the Genesis versions of the few games where they were different are lurking in the Chinese and Korean selections, a few different ones in each! At least they're there somewhere :)

And on a down note, despite having read to the contrary, it does not seem able to use either an Xbox One or PS4 controller, which is a shame. In fact, hot-swapping to an Xbox One controller hard-locked the machine so hard I had to physically unplug it from the power to turn it off!

Jazz on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I'm getting my Arcade 1up TMNT machine in a few days! Oh yeah baby, that's turtle power.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    I'm getting my Arcade 1up TMNT machine in a few days! Oh yeah baby, that's turtle power.

I keep finding them sold out at Walmart .

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    @Krathoon I got mine on Walmart's website. As far as I can tell they're still in stock.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --