As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    My box of those bad boys is still unassembled. Shame!

I have been painting rat men

srCQxxq.jpg

Dk92MwT.jpg

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    There's definitely some detail work I could still do, but I am mostly done with my Splintered Fang warband. I went with a copperhead theme and I'm really happy with how they've turned out.

MkdX9kkl.jpg

3fBH1ODl.jpg

TtYJFh8l.jpg

lrMgfcXl.jpg

BNI9E0ul.jpg

5q4hrtBl.jpg

JVy2IlJl.jpg

vZFjMBIl.jpg

UbYAwnLl.jpg

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna try to finish my birds of paradise themed Corvus Cabal this week.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So, Varnishing isn't something I've really done before, it's been asked before, but in general, am I better off going with a satin varnish for the whole thing, or using matte and gloss as appropriate on bits I want to stay shiny or stay matte?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I swept the dust off of my painting desk and got some gold trim done today

yxp5j3ao494n.jpg

TIFunkalicious on
    So, Varnishing isn't something I've really done before, it's been asked before, but in general, am I better off going with a satin varnish for the whole thing, or using matte and gloss as appropriate on bits I want to stay shiny or stay matte?

I'll take some pictures for reference but my brother put matte and gloss on the spots he wanted for his frostgrave warband. I did a satin varnish on the skeleton of my gold imperial knights as well.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Working on the Gotrek model, really fun one to paint.

PSN- AHermano
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Have you ever realized that you days painting the shield or other small part for a mini, finish, sit back and say "Man that looks good". Then later realize you spent all that time, but didn't touch the rest of the model?

Stupid stormshields with all of their details.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
    Has anyone tried painting blue, red, green, or yellow shades over leadbelcher and balthasar gold?

Warhammer TV had a video that shows the purple shade over balthasar gold but I'm not sure if the other colors will work. I plan on testing it but want to know if anyone has experience with it.

Video for reference
    https://youtu.be/96RYPJIbJ_k

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB2pQ4BILTw
    Glazes over sliver
    The harlequin book has more of the flesh washes over bronze or violet over balthasar gold for certain looks

The glazes always come out as more of a gem stone or glossy look. I'm looking for a more stained look like in the video from warhammer tv. Just curious if other colors come out as well as the purple shade.

Stragint wrote: »
    The glazes always come out as more of a gem stone or glossy look. I'm looking for a more stained look like in the video from warhammer tv. Just curious if other colors come out as well as the purple shade.

Do you want it purple or just with a highlight of purple?

Brainleech wrote: »

I'm gonna use blue, green, red, and yellow for various models.

I figure blue and green on leadbelcher and yellow and red on balthasar gold.

Not really sure what to describe it as. Basically in the video I want it to look like the purple shade over the gold before the gold touch ups.

I want the colors like it is at 51 seconds in the video.

I'm gonna use blue, green, red, and yellow for various models.

I figure blue and green on leadbelcher and yellow and red on balthasar gold.

Not really sure what to describe it as. Basically in the video I want it to look like the purple shade over the gold before the gold touch ups.

I want the colors like it is at 51 seconds in the video.

Then slap on the wash and highlight from there

edited October 2019
    I can't figure out what to do for the cloth parts of this.
    gk9idsoxa932.jpg
    o52xw99a7n0w.jpg

Did more, the tanned flesh I'm going for seems like a bad idea now. Following the citadel color app. I need to layer flayed one flesh next so maybe it will be better after that.
    2bi5fgxi63f3.jpg

I think I'm gonna do orange on the cloth on the upper body and Space wolves contrast on the pants for a sort of denim blue look.

Need to do more leadbelcher on the other metal parts on the legs and shoulders.

Stragint on

I can't figure out what to do for the cloth parts of this.
    gk9idsoxa932.jpg
    o52xw99a7n0w.jpg

Did more, the tanned flesh I'm going for seems like a bad idea now. Following the citadel color app. I need to layer flayed one flesh next so maybe it will be better after that.
    2bi5fgxi63f3.jpg

I think I'm gonna do orange on the cloth on the upper body and Space wolves contrast on the pants for a sort of denim blue look.

Need to do more leadbelcher on the other metal parts on the legs and shoulders.

The Miss Universe costume contest can help you

As well as the Mister Global
    bvta1ceb9ng3.png

Do bugman's followed by Cadian Fleshtone for a tanned look

I've already thrown some darkoath flesh contrast ont he skin and I'm gonna do a layer of flayed one flesh next.

I will give the bugman's glow with cadian fleshtone a go next though. Got all the other models in the warband to paint still.

I weirdly feel like this is harder to paint than my frostgrave warband was but I know they weren't really more difficult. No idea why I feel this way though.

I don't feel it's hard as I really should have planed it out better
    These are the 4 harlequins I worked on today
    jm9hwqd2hr0w.png
    I really feel now after this I really should have gotten the bronze/brass colors and the pink as just the various shades of green are not working
    {I would start paint in the stripes for the diamonds but I have been meh but that's due to well a brain spider I deal with as well as just the horrible summer I had and the prospects I deal with now} It's certainally a different thing to paint I will admit the book really does take the mystery out of it and does help without being high handed like some on youtube are about it[I am still stuck on a chapter icon with my homebrew as I really should have thought this out instead of winging it like I have}

edited October 2019
    Made more progress. Annoyed at how slow I am with this.
    auqsje2jx2bp.jpeg
    ypa49i1g3zxi.jpeg

Stragint on

edited October 2019
    I think I need to start using an actual wet palette instead or a budget one. When I was doing the wash it was chunking up and I think it is because of the budget wet palette.
    gcx3e0a81awz.jpg
    d6c8gcl0mk1p.jpg

I feel like there is something wrong with it.

Stragint on

I think I need to start using an actual wet palette instead or a budget one. When I was doing the wash it was chunking up and I think it is because of the budget wet palette.
    gcx3e0a81awz.jpg
    d6c8gcl0mk1p.jpg

I feel it's the slivers and the orange/brown
    I did point out look at the Mister Global costume contest and the Miss universe costume contest
    ballsy cosplay nationalism
    mkk15zpw17az.png
    gmchhv3ag8wi.png
    7pm57tlxg0bv.png

Dirt and girt sometimes doesn't work

gcx3e0a81awz.jpg
    d6c8gcl0mk1p.jpg

I feel it's the slivers and the orange/brown
    I did point out look at the Mister Global costume contest and the Miss universe costume contest
    ballsy cosplay nationalism
    mkk15zpw17az.png
    gmchhv3ag8wi.png
    7pm57tlxg0bv.png

Dirt and girt sometimes doesn't work

For some reason my day turned from a pretty good and positive day to just negative. I mention this because I think it is part of why I'm not feeling happy with my model. Part of it is also because there was this weird clumping going on when I was using the blue wash on the silver and there are these little white specs on parts of the model that I'm going to try and brush off later. I'm frustrated.

I also want to be argumentative about this and I know there is no reason to be.

Either way, before today I was feeling really good about the model, I liked how the colors had come out, the reason I shaded the really vibrant blue I had used on the feathers with the citadel blue wash was so I could bring out detail, I didn't think it would be so dark but I also kind of liked it.

I did the orange as a complimentary color to the blue, I've been agonizing over what color to do for the last few days and I figured orange would be nice.

I keep telling myself that it does look really good and the darkening from the blue shade over blue and the blue shade on leadbelcher came out really well but part of me I think just hates it.

I did want it to be really vibrant, I wanted the birds of paradise thing going but the first blue I used on the feathers just had no definition.

I don't know. I can't fix it, too much paint already on it. There is no way I'm gonna try to clean it off, the bird on the arm always feels like it is about to just snap right off.

I've lost all desire to paint.

The feathers are good. But I am saying sometimes grime and dirt are not the way to go. I was suggesting the Miss Universe as it has over the top looks that work with tons of subtle detail
    The flesh like I said could go the way of bugman's with Cadian Fleshtone. As it's too pale I feel I would have done gold to bronze for the metal or make the greaves and pauldron shiny metal but I don't know if you have them as looters or were attracted to the look of them or make them that way.

I know getting frustrated with how something is going {it's why I gave up again on my black templars since I really messed up the dry brush trick and again with the contrast} Really pick something else. Just push aside the warcry band and look what else you can paint so you can think about it. I am also stuck on my homebrew as I have done bags and other detail but chapter badges and highlights are still a mystery to me.

I have been hopping around my stuff Tyranids-aeldari-harlequin-necrons to prevent myself from getting frustrated. I know I am stuck on my harlequins but that's because I lack certain colors I feel.
    Everyone has a backlog just look are yours and see where you can distract yourself while you think about the warcry

The feathers are good. But I am saying sometimes grime and dirt are not the way to go. I was suggesting the Miss Universe as it has over the top looks that work with tons of subtle detail
    The flesh like I said could go the way of bugman's with Cadian Fleshtone. As it's too pale I feel I would have done gold to bronze for the metal or make the greaves and pauldron shiny metal but I don't know if you have them as looters or were attracted to the look of them or make them that way.

I know getting frustrated with how something is going {it's why I gave up again on my black templars since I really messed up the dry brush trick and again with the contrast} Really pick something else. Just push aside the warcry band and look what else you can paint so you can think about it. I am also stuck on my homebrew as I have done bags and other detail but chapter badges and highlights are still a mystery to me.

I have been hopping around my stuff Tyranids-aeldari-harlequin-necrons to prevent myself from getting frustrated. I know I am stuck on my harlequins but that's because I lack certain colors I feel.
    Everyone has a backlog just look are yours and see where you can distract yourself while you think about the warcry

Yea, I definitely agree. I did want to do something similar to the miss universe stuff. Just vibrant and bright. I'm just kind of disappointed. I'll probably go back to feeling good about it after this irrational mood wears off. But yea, I wanted nice and bright.

I had already put on the darkoath contrast for the first layer of the flesh and the citadel app for tanned skin said to next put on flayed one flesh and I just don't see how this is tanned. I do plan on doing the bugmans with cadian flesh on the next one though. When I get there that is.

I do plan on doing stormhost silver highlights on the silver and retributor armor gold on the balathasar gold. I want to brighten it back up a bit.

I have been meaning to start painting my Necrons, I also have a squad of 5 intercessors to paint and that phobos librarian with the fire sword to finish.

I am also going to get the 3D printed parts I ordered for my armigers significantly sooner than planned so I could do those.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    More progress! For some reason I really love adding more red details on these guys than the usual scheme

nprj3a7wmpfg.jpg

So because I got stuck on my harlequins and debated about getting the last couple of colors I need to do them
    I decided to do the Sslyth I have since it was just there sitting in the box waiting
    7i3fhmwp61ku.png0sqcbda4gxz7.png

I didn't want to do it in the generic green snake look but I wanted to do it as a gaboon viper just as someone said if you need to magnifying to paint what was the point?
    I did another snake

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    The Vallejo metal air paints I've tried so far are awesome.

Anyone know which GW gold the Vallejo air gold would be closest to? I'd like a gold airpaint that's close to retributor armor

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Khraul wrote: »
    The Vallejo metal air paints I've tried so far are awesome.

Anyone know which GW gold the Vallejo air gold would be closest to? I'd like a gold airpaint that's close to retributor armor

I'm pretty bad at color comparison but this is the vallejo metal air gold that I used on some of my imperial knights.

t2ZySQ4.jpg

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Huh... well it's not retributor gold but I can probably find a use for that shade.

Thanks Stragint

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited October 2019
    Khraul wrote: »
    Huh... well it's not retributor gold but I can probably find a use for that shade.

Thanks Stragint

You might be able to get a closer retributor color with more layers. It is a really thin yellowish gold.

8gyzNet.jpg

That is a Necron I did with just 1 layer. The knights have two.

I forgot I had this picture.

Stragint on

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    I dont think the vallejo metal air has a shade similar to retribution sadly

I do think retributor is a really good covering gold paint in it's own right though

PSN- AHermano
    So...Just a heads up to everyone so you don't do what I did.

I had a pair of plastic terminators I needed to swap torsos on. I wasn't paying full attention when I glued them together and got the captain torso and body on two separate pieces. I tried everything to break the bond. Turns out that the blue capped Gorilla Glue doesn't mess around. I tried freezing, twisting, gently whacking with a hammer.

I'm a chemist, so I figured I'd move into solvents next. I started with acetone. What I didn't realize was that the miniature melts faster than superglue in acetone. I dunked them acetone, went and got a new pair of latex gloves. To my surprise and horror all of the details had melted away. However the superglue held fast.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Pictures of melted Termies please!

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I dropped them in the nearest trashcan. Sorry!

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Yes, it is good to remember that acetone is an amazing effective solvent when applied to styrene plastics. Never use it on anything with plastic parts that you want to be ablw.to use later.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Also it smells like blue! Pretty, pretty blue… *whump*

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Ok, I'll admit I like the smell of acetone, ether, and ethyl acetate. I was hoping a short dip would get the glue before the model.

It depends on the glue but most super glues do not like dry heat or being frozen

Tried all of that before I went for the chemicals. It was not gonna budge