As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    What is Open Succession? It can't be you just pick someone to get everything can it? That seems amazing!

Although really I haven't had a ton of trouble with elective.

Buddhists, Jain, and Taoists actually can just pick an heir. And if they've got Primo- or Ultimogeniture, the heir they designated really does get everything. Pagans can also get heir designation if they pick Meritocracy when they reform.

But yeah, Open just means the kid with the most titles gets everything. And if none of your children have any titles, everything goes to the eldest. Which is almost as good as picking one.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    What is Open Succession? It can't be you just pick someone to get everything can it? That seems amazing!

It probably is amazing until having your chosen heir with genius, strong, attractive, brawny, and a level 4 education that is now no longer under your direct control because you gave him a landed title decides to duel someone and dies.

There's also the decadence mechanic where having unlanded sons increases decadence and speeds up the chance for a revolt but the effect of that has varied from update to update.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    That's fair, with elective I usually land everyone except my heir although I'll marry them if I seem to be having trouble dying. Had a terrible stretch where I got incapable failed suicide and had to sit through various regents stealing all of my titles, not being allowed to revoke or basically any interpersonal action until I finally died.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

It probably is amazing until having your chosen heir with genius, strong, attractive, brawny, and a level 4 education that is now no longer under your direct control because you gave him a landed title decides to duel someone and dies.

There's also the decadence mechanic where having unlanded sons increases decadence and speeds up the chance for a revolt but the effect of that has varied from update to update.

Decadence is Muslim-only, pagans with Open Succession get it without that downside.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »

Decadence is Muslim-only, pagans with Open Succession get it without that downside.

I suppose that's partly balanced by the tendency for your pagan heirs to join warrior lodges and get mauled to death hunting beasts when allowed to act on their own.

In related news I started a new shattered world Germanic Han Sweden game in order to apply lessons learned from my last game. Lessons that include not having your heirs join the warrior lodge to avoid them getting killed by beasts.

Things have been running considerably different now that I know that I start with shipyards and don't need to wait for the Viking Age event to fire in shattered world games so I was able to make kingdom titles much more quickly. Would have been on my first ruler but he got tag teamed by stress and disease in his 50s. His successor was able to reform the faith, form the kingdom title, form two more to become an emperor, get the ambition to get a great work to level 2 for an extra upgrade slot done just in time to start the ambition to forge a bloodline before a legendary journey started so he could found the foreign war bloodline right before earning another. Then he died from the flu. I hadn't been aware of the great work ambition but it's a nice bonus to get for sure.

Another big influence has been where the Great Conquerors were spawned this game. In the previous game, one spawned in France and ended up forming the HRE after a few generations. This time one spawned in Orkney and I quickly checked his progress by whittling down his event troops while raiding. I also decided I really wanted the nice sword Great Conquerors start with and raided the personally held holdings of him and his heirs heavily. At one point I captured a daughter of the bloodline as a child and was able to convert her to Germanic and recruit her into my court as an adult. I matrilnealy married her to a courtier to start working the bloodline into my dynasty. Then I started antagonizing the duke of Orkney and killed him in a duel so his child heir inherited. Then I remembered I might need the males in Scotland to stay alive and have more kids because my member of the bloodline wasn't getting pregnant. She eventually spawned a daughter but only that daughter and she's a giant so more likely to die younger. So it was back to just raiding and not dueling the duke who took a damn long time to get married as an adult but thankfully did that and took concubines so he had lots of kids. Ended up capturing his daughter in a raid who I converted, took as a concubine because I couldn't directly recruit her, and then married her matrilnealy to a courtier. Then I did more raids and while I still haven't stolen his sword, I have stolen his heir and other daughters. So that's now two families I'm going to be manipulating the breeding of.

The final major difference has been from choosing a proselytizing nature instead of cosmopolitan on reformation. As I no longer have to convert every county myself, the faith has spread to conquered territory much more quickly. And Slavic rulers are asking to convert much earlier in the run as opposed to the split between my faith and Catholicism that happened later last game. One of those former Slavic rulers is from a Great Conqueror bloodline too so I'm starting to work that one into my family too but it's also nice to not have to conquer everything yourself when you're more interested in painting the faith map your color than the political map.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    You know how Paradox for some reason doesn't let players plot to murder their in-game children? Well, I've found the loophole.

So here I am, making yet another attempt at a full Muslim playthrough. I get a character who's pretty good at Intrigue, which is rare for me because I tend to focus on Martial early on and then transition into Stewardship with a side order of Diplomacy. But now that I've got the Intrigue, I figure I might as well try and get the cheevo for becoming Grandmaster of the Assassins.

This high Intrigue's character's firstborn also happens to be an Imbecile. Now, as a Muslim, this isn't such a big deal. One can just hand some territory to a worthy child and get a proper heir.

But hey, I'm Grandmaster of the Assassins. And the Grandmaster gets an ability that allows one to Mark any character for Death, telling all their Assassin buddies that this particular person needs to be taken out.

Apparently it's quite wrong to actively plot to murder your in-game kid, but loudly proclaiming "Who shall rid me of this turbulent priest imbecilic firstborn?" at the annual Assassin getogether is A-OK.

As it happened, the Imbecile first son was murdered by the Genius second son, so it all worked out in the end.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/787491413366007904/4AC3F151BB30183474E64D9844DF0539001F94EA/

Servant No More complete!

This is the one where you take the Viking age emir of Galilee to emperor. He's got great stats but is a eunuch. Of course the only kingdom you can form in that area can only be formed by Christians. Apparently now having Jerusalem as your capital lets you freely convert between almost every religion. So I was able to form that kingdom, and slowly acquired Syria also. Unfortunately rise of the Shia Caliph happened in Iraq preventing any expansion south or east. Egypt was way too strong to do anything with.

I thought this would be impossible because forming a custom empire before this guy dies is rough. I even invaded Anatolia and was still 80 or more holding short. Then I discovered that in that huge pile of people you can murder, the intrigue menu apparently lets you fabricate a claim on your Liege's top title. So it was back to fealty with the caliph and then massive bribery, 10+ failed attempts at 60% title creation and a short war to success.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I've officially reached the 1,000 hour mark.

The last several of those hours have been dedicated to a carefully planned breeding program designed to get the "History is in my Blood" cheevo. Unfortunately, I didn't know that Historical Bloodlines are a very specific thing, and not just any old Bloodline. So now I have characters who are the descendants of a plethora of Saints, Crusader Kings, Great Conquerors, Great Rulers, and four out of the required five Historic Bloodlines and I currently have no way to access the fifth one I need. I might have to wait for Genghis Khan to show up and find some way to breed his family line into mine.

But on the upside, all my vassals always love me because my relentless and frequently incestuous pursuit of eugenics has brought about the Übermensch.

You know, I sometimes think Crusader Kings might have a few troubling implications if you ever stop to think about what you're actually doing.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    64 bit support has just been announced, there's currently an open beta build to try out. Current version will be the last 32 bit supported build. Which means... even more CK2 is on the way, probably new DLC to be announced at PDX Con

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm utterly shocked that this game hasn't collapsed under it's own weight by now. The coding wizardry they must've done to make it support all of these DLCs piecemeal and not crash constantly (ever? I don't think I've had a crash outside of mod conflicts) is incredible.

• Options
    I'm utterly shocked that this game hasn't collapsed under it's own weight by now. The coding wizardry they must've done to make it support all of these DLCs piecemeal and not crash constantly (ever? I don't think I've had a crash outside of mod conflicts) is incredible.

I've had the occasional crash. One or two, I think.

And considering the aforementioned 1,000 hour playtime, I think that's quite reasonable. You know, all things considered.

• Options

The last several of those hours have been dedicated to a carefully planned breeding program designed to get the "History is in my Blood" cheevo. Unfortunately, I didn't know that Historical Bloodlines are a very specific thing, and not just any old Bloodline. So now I have characters who are the descendants of a plethora of Saints, Crusader Kings, Great Conquerors, Great Rulers, and four out of the required five Historic Bloodlines and I currently have no way to access the fifth one I need. I might have to wait for Genghis Khan to show up and find some way to breed his family line into mine.

But on the upside, all my vassals always love me because my relentless and frequently incestuous pursuit of eugenics has brought about the Übermensch.

You know, I sometimes think Crusader Kings might have a few troubling implications if you ever stop to think about what you're actually doing.

It's pretty funny when the personal combat bonuses from multiple bloodlines combine to make your newborn kids better duelists than most adults in the realm.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Playing as someone with Han culture is amazing. Did you ever wonder what it would be like if your holdings all were constantly on fire? Where anyone not shipped off to China was abducted and made into a concubine? My best try is 100 years in and still haven't been able to form a kingdom.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

It's pretty funny when the personal combat bonuses from multiple bloodlines combine to make your newborn kids better duelists than most adults in the realm.

Skulking plotter waits until the nurse is out of the room, then creeps to the side of the crib, drawing a dagger...
    which is expertly parried by a rapier clutched in a tiny fist.
    The babe burbles in glee.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Playing as someone with Han culture is amazing. Did you ever wonder what it would be like if your holdings all were constantly on fire? Where anyone not shipped off to China was abducted and made into a concubine? My best try is 100 years in and still haven't been able to form a kingdom.

I swore fealty to Tibet in 769 which helped a little

Also I don't want to spoil too much but when you're big and powerful China will come knocking or you might even get the Scion event

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So I was not able to get build a hospital or go into seclusion but I was able to get achievements for seducing 10 people and becoming a pilgrim. Which didn't get rid of my lunaticness. Also did they remove being able to kill yourself by decision?

it's an option if your character is depressed or over a hundred years old

Gundi on
  • Options
    If I am the liege of someone who has two children betrothed to each other, what is the least tyrannical way to split them up?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    If I am the liege of someone who has two children betrothed to each other, what is the least tyrannical way to split them up?

... murder?

ED: More serious answer, you might be able to just offer another betrothal, and if you're their liege, there's a significant (?) bonus towards getting them to accept it.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

Provoke him into a rebellion, siege down the holding with the kids, hope that you capture one of them, betrothe them to a courtier.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Hmm. Not sure if I have the time to sway them or anger them enough, the kid is 15 and has two historical bloodlines, one of which is only held by him.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Hmm. Not sure if I have the time to sway them or anger them enough, the kid is 15 and has two historical bloodlines, one of which is only held by him.

If Conclave is enabled you can just appoint him to the council, then kick him off for like -40 opinion or something similarly ridiculous. If you have viceroyalties enabled you can grant him a bunch and then revoke them to get him frothing at the mouth without anyone else caring. Raise his levies and have them sit around for no particular reason. Seduce his wife.

At any rate the absolute simplest answer is indeed to murder the kid's wife/wife-to-be and then offer to remarry him to your second daughter or whatever.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    look man is it really a historical bloodline without some (i.e. A LOT OF) inbreeding?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The actually serious answer is murder

It's the safest and most reliable way of getting anything done these days

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    look man is it really a historical bloodline without some (i.e. A LOT OF) inbreeding?

You know you're doing it right when you start to get Habsburg Jaws
    3q52DkcPcpmAj6YQnc2vaD6XBtpZ8mz32UHz1Po8gimy7jNJKLbvH6YWsFsCGM35SUz2LdQp7pAFY1-768x1024.jpg

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Anyone know if CK is going to become 64-bit? I assume not, but then it won't run after I update my OS.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Anyone know if CK is going to become 64-bit? I assume not, but then it won't run after I update my OS.

They've said it will be getting a 64-bit patch.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options

They've said it will be getting a 64-bit patch.

There's already a 64 bit beta, just switch to beta build in Steam. May have bugs since it's a beta

• Options
    So because I can never get the favor system right, I bought a favor on the kid to get him to join my court, but then he wouldn't because he's the vassal's son apparently. So since my ruler picked up depressed I revoked the vassal's title, fought her off and then he was more than happy to join my court even without the favor. I guess he didn't like his mother.. Meanwhile I antagonized a khan to the north, so he would duel me and kill me. So no tyranny for my new leader with much better stats who promptly married the kid. 4 Historical bloodlines with no inbreeding yet. Except for other parts of my family who feel the need to inbreed constantly for some reason.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options

Crusader Kings 2 is free now. Not sure for how long. Always? While PDXCon is going?

And all the DLC is discounted, so that's all nice.

I'm guessing this means they're gonna announce Crusader Kings 3 pretty soon.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I mean, we're already on CK2 3.x so that's basically CK4 right there.

Diplominator on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I'm guessing this means they're gonna announce Crusader Kings 3 pretty soon.

CALLED IT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlOXhOxEum0

Crusader Kings 3 coming next year. Probably means I'm gonna have to buy a new PC.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    There are screenshots up on steam...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1158310/Crusader_Kings_III/

Visible settlements on the campaign map, 3D rendered characters, character lifepath specialization trees...

Veeeery interesting

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    So apparently Crusader Kings 3 will not feature the words "Deus Vult".

And a whole lot of people are very upset about this, probably without realising they're the very reason CK3 supposedly won't have Deus Vult.

The internet was a mistake.

• Options

And a whole lot of people are very upset about this, probably without realising they're the very reason CK3 supposedly won't have Deus Vult.

Who cares (other than literal fascists)

Like I've got 1000 hours on ck2 and there's... one event, and I think the crusade trigger that features those words?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

Like I've got 1000 hours on ck2 and there's... one event, and I think the crusade trigger that features those words?

Me, at least, because ceding a not only authentic but pretty much iconic to the phenomenon phrase to said literal fascists is still giving ground to them.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

Me, at least, because ceding a not only authentic but pretty much iconic to the phenomenon phrase to said literal fascists is still giving ground to them.

Yeah, that is kind of a genuine problem. What to do with something once the Nazis have got their corrosive slime all over everything? Shove it into a dark corner? Fight to reclaim it?

And, of course, Deus Vult has an even bigger uphill struggle than, say, Norse runes, because the phrase really was used (or is understood to have been used) as some kind of Us Christians VS Them Muslims rallying cry.

I can understand why Paradox has decided to just not go there.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Yeah, that is kind of a genuine problem. What to do with something once the Nazis have got their corrosive slime all over everything? Shove it into a dark corner? Fight to reclaim it?

And, of course, Deus Vult has an even bigger uphill struggle than, say, Norse runes, because the phrase really was used (or is understood to have been used) as some kind of Us Christians VS Them Muslims rallying cry.

I can understand why Paradox has decided to just not go there.

I get it. I don't particularly like it, but I get it, particularly from a corporate standpoint rather than a personal one.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    I'm less excited than I thought I'd be. Going into a new game after all of the DLC available for CK2 is going to feel empty. Hopefully there are enough improvements and new features to make up for it, but hell, I'm still exploring the new features added to Holy Fury.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    New CK2 patch! This one includes a new challenge mode with CK3 unlocks! Also free-LC in the form of Egyptian portraits:

4506396.71500001_image.png4522605.380000023_image.png

- Monarch's Journey is available to all non-Linux players. This is a feature which will bi-weekly present new characters to play with a scenario of challenges to earn cosmetic rewards for the upcoming Crusader Kings III game.
    ################ 3.3.0 ##################

###################
    # Free Features
    ###################
    - Base game is now free to play!
    - CK2 is now running on a 64-bit architecture, 32-bit systems are thus no longer supported.
    - Egyptian portraits.

###################
    # Balance
    ###################
    - Adjusted some numbers for tech spread rate for upgrade features relating to the Great Works Library and University.

###################
    # Interface
    ###################
    - Fixed it being possible to open multiple rename windows when renaming Great Works or Artifacts.
    - Made it possible to scroll the bloodline description in the bloodline view, in case the text is too long to fit.

###################
    # User modding
    ###################
    - Added is_local_human_observer trigger.
    - Added support for hide_scrollbar in instanttextbox definitions.
    - Added support for scrollbar_offset in instanttextbox definitions.
    - Disallowed safe ReligionEffect from changing the religion of a Holy Order leader.

###################
    # Bug Fixes
    ###################
    - Hiding the Legend text on the Society menu when no societies are found.
    - Blocked members of Holy Orders from numerous converting religion decisions.
    - Unqualified leaders of Holy Orders are regularly cleaned out should they've converted since they joined.
    - Fixed the issue where one got a game over by converting to a religion that requires a disabled DLC by blocking some convertion decisions
    - Unqualified leaders of Holy Orders are regularly cleaned out should they've converted since they joined.
    - Blocked members of Holy Orders from numerous converting religion decisions.
    - You will no longer push yourself to your death.
    - Your courtiers will now care about their sexuality when they get lovers.
    - You can no longer seclude yourself for meditation when you're already meditating.
    - Century old wonders will no longer be talked about as if newly constructed.
    - Courtiers will no longer leave their children behind when asked to leave court.
    - Dead people looking for books will no longer behave as if alive.
    - It's no longer a religious experience to be an Aquarius.
    - The Local Traditions decision now includes an active Embrace.
    - You will no longer be gifted artifacts from imprisoned characters.
    - Artifact flags are no longer looked for in a character scope when you throw it to the ground to save yourself in battle.
    - Women can now hunt boars themselves, and also send their daughters to do so.
    - You will no longer be able to be both a strong and a weak leader at the same time.
    - After siege looting rampages are now far less common.

Zavian on
  • Options

Ehhh, to a degree I get it. It's kind of bullshit that "some fascists said/did a thing, therefore let's cede the thing to them" is becoming the default stance, rather than pushing back against the fascists.

uH3IcEi.png