As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stranger Things] The Rollerskate Of Justice (Season 4 OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Holy fuck I found Erica irritating last season and she's more irritating this season, I really hope they've gotten that out of their system and she isn't a central focus going forward. Oh wow, she's 10 and calling people bald bastards and keeps asking for free ice cream, isn't she hilarious?!

Fuck yeah she is.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    No, she's not.

Overall I enjoyed the season. I think it's shorter than previous ones which is sometimes worse when you WANT to spend more time with these people which wasn't so much the case last season. Mrs Byers got over her PTSD with Samwise fairly quickly which was a shame because I don't need her and Hopper together for the story to work but eh. I think way too much time was spent on the whole Russian thing which seemed to just be an excuse to get the gateway open again, where they could have just as easily said that it was because that part of the Mind Flayer had remained in our world. None of it seemed to matter beyond giving Steve/Robin/Dustin/Hopper/Mrs Byers to focus on for most of the season. Also they kind of undermine the threat of the mindflayer-subprime when it can be physically outpowered by three kids.

I wouldn't say here was a particular episode here that I'd go back and watch again, I was hoping for an Upside down mall from the trailers, but I think it was generally more entertaining than S2.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Agreed with the Upside Down mall, I really expected a ton more of that this season. The lack of it is my biggest gripe and highest hope for S4.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    No, she's not.

Overall I enjoyed the season. I think it's shorter than previous ones which is sometimes worse when you WANT to spend more time with these people which wasn't so much the case last season. Mrs Byers got over her PTSD with Samwise fairly quickly which was a shame because I don't need her and Hopper together for the story to work but eh. I think way too much time was spent on the whole Russian thing which seemed to just be an excuse to get the gateway open again, where they could have just as easily said that it was because that part of the Mind Flayer had remained in our world. None of it seemed to matter beyond giving Steve/Robin/Dustin/Hopper/Mrs Byers to focus on for most of the season. Also they kind of undermine the threat of the mindflayer-subprime when it can be physically outpowered by three kids.

I wouldn't say here was a particular episode here that I'd go back and watch again, I was hoping for an Upside down mall from the trailers, but I think it was generally more entertaining than S2.

I thought the main reason why the Mind Flayer was gaining power (besides turning people into jelly) was because of the Russians breaking open the portal, but I could be wrong. It was dormant and doing nothing for months until they started using their drill.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    No, she's not.

I thought the main reason why the Mind Flayer was gaining power (besides turning people into jelly) was because of the Russians breaking open the portal, but I could be wrong. It was dormant and doing nothing for months until they started using their drill.

Yes that's the reason they give in the show to justify the Russian involvement, but they also said the rest between worlds wasn't healed but healing. I assume there will be a larger endgame with the Russians but I think they took up too much time this season and I'm not sure how they justify experiments in Russia somehow ending up in Hawkins again.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Allot of people died this season.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Erica was definitely the one character I could not stand and was very sad that they put her with the best group of people.

Like man, entitled asshole kids who seem to have been poorly raised is not something I find particularly endearing.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    No, she's not.

Yes that's the reason they give in the show to justify the Russian involvement, but they also said the rest between worlds wasn't healed but healing. I assume there will be a larger endgame with the Russians but I think they took up too much time this season and I'm not sure how they justify experiments in Russia somehow ending up in Hawkins again.

I wonder, did the US military have one of those laser beams to rip a hole into the gate? I don't remember that being a thing... I thought they just kinda stumbled upon it and then went with it.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Didn't Eleven open the gate for the U.S.? I forget.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Yeah IIRC it was at the very least implied that the gate was at least perforated by the experiments they were running with Eleven and remote viewing. Once it was partially open, it was only a matter of time before the DoE or something from the other side punched through.

• Options
    I think Eleven was the experiment. Or 1 through 11+, and 11 stumbled on the Upside Down which in turn started a tear into our dimension. I think after that it was just a growing wound in that wall.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Erica was definitely the one character I could not stand and was very sad that they put her with the best group of people.

Like man, entitled asshole kids who seem to have been poorly raised is not something I find particularly endearing.

She just seemed like a kid to me. I didn't even think about what monsters her parents must be.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    The thing that made me the saddest in this season was that they had Will leave his D&D books with Erica. As if they were childish nonsense to abandon as he moved on with his life. They should have had the kids stay the D&D kids, not transition them to "cool" things.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    The thing that made me the saddest in this season was that they had Will leave his D&D books with Erica. As if they were childish nonsense to abandon as he moved on with his life. They should have had the kids stay the D&D kids, not transition them to "cool" things.

That's not at all how I read the scene. Will explicitly said that he didn't want to play D&D if it wasn't with his friends in Hawkins. He passes his books onto Erica because she's coming to terms with the idea that "geeks" and "nerds" are just meaningless labels and that she should just enjoy what she finds enjoyable. Will hopes that she will find D&D as enjoyable as he did.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

That's not at all how I read the scene. Will explicitly said that he didn't want to play D&D if it wasn't with his friends in Hawkins. He passes his books onto Erica because she's coming to terms with the idea that "geeks" and "nerds" are just meaningless labels and that she should just enjoy what she finds enjoyable. Will hopes that she will find D&D as enjoyable as he did.

I found the framing to suggest that these games were things to support the growth of a child, not a source of lifelong entertainment and wonder. Crutches to be abandoned behind you. Will no longer needed his "crutches" and so he passed them on to Erica. But, playing games with friends and telling stories is what is best in life. To abandon this important narrative arc was a weakness in the series to me.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Go back a few pages and see my complaints about character arcs being abandoned in favor of spectacle, but I felt that Erica was one character who was legitimately expanded upon and, god willing, she will be involved even more in the next season. Hopefully it'll mean Lucas gets to have a character arc next season, too!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Will didn't pass the books on to Erica, he just left them for Goodwill and said that he'd use Mike's if he came back for a visit

I read that scene as Will not wanting to give up playing, but knowing that it was something that he wouldn't enjoy without his friends

It was the rest of them that decided to give the books to Erica, and I hope that season 4 opens with her running a campaign for them

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

Operation Child Endangerment !

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I found the framing to suggest that these games were things to support the growth of a child, not a source of lifelong entertainment and wonder. Crutches to be abandoned behind you. Will no longer needed his "crutches" and so he passed them on to Erica. But, playing games with friends and telling stories is what is best in life. To abandon this important narrative arc was a weakness in the series to me.

But he specifically said they would still play when he came back.

• Options
    That Dragon magazine getting rained on in the fort was unforgivable.

• Options
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    That Dragon magazine getting rained on in the fort was unforgivable.

It was a Best of Dragon, too! Those things were condensed awesomeness!

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular

That is seriously perfect.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    And just like that, the best character in the franchise is gone. Not sure I can keep watching after this tragic loss.

Rest in peace, Steve's hair.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Are we 100% sure that’s Joe Keery?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I'm not sure the Hopper, p.i. trailer works so well since he's wearing the same shirt in nearly all the clips.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Just got around to watching the series this weekend and man, it just continues to be so good. I thought I'd get tired of the relationship stuff in a hurry, but they ended up balancing it out time-wise and had the characters do their own solutions instead of basic tropey stuff. Plus, the relationships gives us the most unexpected and awesome rendition of Neverending Story pretty much ever. Everybody is fighting for the fate of the world, but Dustin really lays himself down in the sacrifice play there. Seeing everybody jaw drop at what they're hearing to save the world was the only thing better than the song itself.

Also, as far as Will giving away his D&D books, it's extremely obvious it's a pass-the-torch thing, not any kind of judgement on D&D or Will "growing out" of playing. He doesn't know they're going to Erica, but he knows he doesn't need to carry them anymore because every time he's going to play D&D, it's going to be with his friends. And Erica is definitely not getting them because she's a kid, she's getting them because, as previously mentioned, she's being taught not to get wound up in labels like "nerd".

And as far as Erica being a little shit, well, she's ten, and some ten year olds are like that. All the kids in the main crew are assholes at some point or another, and her brother does a fair bit of being an asshole himself. She's also doing that to other kids and taking her cues from those around her, which is why she even mouths of to an adult at some point (an adult with zero authority over her). She's also revealed to be extremely smart and I've seen a ton of smart kids that are assholes because they're impatient with getting talked at like kids.

And I fucking knew Hopper didn't die. The Russkis probably got sick of him fistfighting their demodogs to death, though, which is why they keep him in the cell. But now there HAS to be at least one more season, and I'm guessing it must involve the Upside Down so that they can get Hopper back without having to break into the Soviet Union.

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    https://youtu.be/cIiDY4WA0oo

Interesting...

No release date or window given, but I'm gonna assume Christmas 2020 based off the end of the last episode. Or maybe a christmas special this year as a S3/4 gobetween?

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    There were some rumors that they may have filmed Season 3 and 4 back to back and this was foreshadowing some sort of secret Netflix drop for s4 but I kind of doubt that is the case.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    A Christmas special would be on brand for the time frame

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Read somewhere that those chimes at the end are specifically Big Ben. But I can't imagine how that would be relevant.

• Options
    It would be interesting if this next season mostly takes place in the upside down.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    It would be interesting if this next season mostly takes place in the upside down.

big ben is in england not australia

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Considering how season 3 ended, I will be extremely surprised if season 4 isn't
    Hawkin's Christmas/European Vacation.

I mean, we basically have to go somewhere in the Soviet Union at this point so we can save Fat Rambo.

• Options

I mean, we basically have to go somewhere in the Soviet Union at this point so we can save Fat Rambo.

Pretty sure most folks in the USA couldn't just
    casually travel to the USSR in the 80's.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

Well, this is the show that somehow
    snuck hundreds of Russian soldiers and scientists into the middle of the United States with no one batting an eye, so why the hell not.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »

Well, this is the show that somehow
    snuck hundreds of Russian soldiers and scientists into the middle of the United States with no one batting an eye, so why the hell not.

Yeah, we're gonna end up with something like
    something takes somebody with a connection to the group overseas (my bet is that Eleven goes and picks up on Hopper from England or something), they find out Hopper is stuck in a Soviet gulag, and Eleven and the gang go through the Upside Down to rescue him the same way that the Soviets used the Upside Down to escape.

After all, Eleven can open doorways between the two dimensions at will, she doesn't need a big machine to do it.

Oh yeah, and five bucks says Asshole Scientist from the first season is going to show up as working for the Soviets because they don't mind him working on kids.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    On mobile so I can't post it easily, but the teaser for season 4 is out!

... And every thumbnail of it is a spoiler. A potentially obvious one but still. For such a Bare bones trailer, is is annoying.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    On mobile so I can't post it easily, but the teaser for season 4 is out!

... And every thumbnail of it is a spoiler. A potentially obvious one but still. For such a Bare bones trailer, is is annoying.

And here's the video!

sig.gif
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular