As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PSN] Black Friday 2017 and onwards!

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I see there's little outcry over the baseball game unlike the rabid toxicity behind the PES announcement a couple months back.

There's a reason for that -- it's because PES is a non-sport played by filthy non-Americans.

(yes, that's extreme sarcasm)

You're probably right tbh. Americans are very vocal online.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Codes are going out for the new Resident Evil closed beta this weekend, I just got my PS4 one, woohoo! I'm hoping there's no NDA so I can take some videos. If you signed up for the RE Ambassador program check your email!

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Shawn Layden out at Sony, doesn't sound like it was mutual decision.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/30/20892468/shawn-layden-sony-playstation-departs

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The way it was tweeted out, in the evening and with very little fanfare, sure makes it seem like it wasn't Shawn moving on by choice, no.

edit: There were rumors from a Japanese news Twitter account that he was "retiring", but that was rescinded shortly thereafter as being mistranslated.

Either way, he's liking a lot of "Thanks, Shawn!" tweets on his Twitter account, from former employees or people who worked with Shawn/Sony.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Shawn Layden out at Sony, doesn't sound like it was mutual decision.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/30/20892468/shawn-layden-sony-playstation-departs

With the PS5 on the horizon? Could be a sign there's some real trouble behind the scenes.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    And now Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia chief Atsushi Morita is out.

Definitely sounds like something's happening over there.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Oh no. This is very reminiscent of Valve's employee departure.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I hope this means that those people were unhappy with Sony choosing to make more consumer friendly decisions for the ps5, by given Sony's history I am doubtful. I was all set to continue from my PS4 straight to a PS5 given the backwards compatibility but this has me a bit worried.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    It definitely smells like the folks leaving had a different vision from the top brass. Now, it's entirely possible the top brass are the ones with the actually good ideas, but considering the ones leaving are the ones that lived and breathed PlayStation for a loooong time, I'm a little pessimistic.

Brace yourselves for the non-triumphant return of Hubris Sony.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It definitely smells like the folks leaving had a different vision from the top brass. Now, it's entirely possible the top brass are the ones with the actually good ideas, but considering the ones leaving are the ones that lived and breathed PlayStation for a loooong time, I'm a little pessimistic.

Brace yourselves for the non-triumphant return of Hubris Sony.

Hubris Sony has been in full effect for several years now. See:
    -Removal of Ps3 and Vita games from freebies every month with the addition of... nothing.
    -Refusing crossplay while Nintendo of all companies goes all in.
    -Continuing to ink shitty exclusivity deals for content, with Call of Duty Modern Warfare's being the worst possibly EVER.
    -Refusing EA Access and just straight up saying "Eh, we think this sucks," about it.
    -Pretending Playstation Now is on the level of Gamepass (this is laughable).
    -Having some of the worst, most terrible E3 presentations of all time.
    etc etc

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Well nintendo is going to get slapped across the face when the joycon lawsuit causes them to lose a lot of money. And xbox is still last place. Sony basically has console gaming by the balls.

Considering Sony and Microsoft have already played "Lose a class action law suit because of our cheap shitty parts we tried to squeeze past consumers" I have no sympathy for Nintendo. So far we are 3 for 3 on these things per console generation so I wonder who is going to fuck up next to round.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I miss the days when you could play football with a gamecube and it would still work perfect

Zavian wrote: »
    I miss the days when you could play football with a gamecube and it would still work perfect

PS2 had a massive disc drive failure class action law suit. That wasn't the first in the console business but it started a trend which does not seem to be going any where.

furlion wrote: »

PS2 had a massive disc drive failure class action law suit. That wasn't the first in the console business but it started a trend which does not seem to be going any where.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYjgHLFZMa0

In short, all three have survived massive hardware problems just fine.

And don't forget just how weak brand loyalty is to most people. Though the PS2 was a monster, gamers quickly bailed to the Xbox 360 thanks to the PS3 costing $Texas at launch. And then they jumped right back to Sony's arms when Microsoft pulled the "you don't actually own your games and oh yeah you have to buy Kinect" stuff. The next gen is anyone's game.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

My first one died due to the laser messing up (there was a fix to it, but it got annoying after a while so I just bought a new one). So mine wasn't rugged at all.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    In short, all three have survived massive hardware problems just fine.

And don't forget just how weak brand loyalty is to most people. Though the PS2 was a monster, gamers quickly bailed to the Xbox 360 thanks to the PS3 costing $Texas at launch. And then they jumped right back to Sony's arms when Microsoft pulled the "you don't actually own your games and oh yeah you have to buy Kinect" stuff. The next gen is anyone's game.

That's why I kind of believe the rumor that Sony will have a base PS5 and pro PS5 at launch; Xbox One having Kinect at launch at a higher price really doomed them

As long as they continue the trend of all games being both playable and feature complete on both I will be quite happy with a cheaper upgrade to my base PS4.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Jim Sterling did a video about Microsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJBlWYqVQbQ&t=1205s

If you don't care to watch the thing, it generally lays out the thesis that while both Sony and Nintendo are still committed to putting out first party single player games with zero MTX bullshit in them, Microsoft however has been actively supporting the model from the very start. I don't agree with the clickbait title that it's all MS's fault, but I do agree with the general thesis. MS has a minimalistic brand name next to Sony and Nintendo, and what little they do have, they're fully happy pumping the now toxic MTX model into them. It really made me look at the company as a whole and realize... yeah, there is absolutely nothing there I want to support.

Things can certainly change, and change hard. But as is right now, I'd rather go Sony/Nintendo, because right now they've proven they're still committed to making quality games. And right now, all these faults of Sony... I don't find as faults personally. Yeah, their stance on cross play is stupid, but I also really don't give a hoot. Certainly not enough to abandon them for MS. Something enormous would have to happen for that to occur.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Tbh the biggest knock against Sony right now is that Disney might buy them, and Disney probably doesn't really care about video games so PlayStation might go bye bye or be sold off

Tbh the biggest knock against Sony right now is that Disney might buy them, and Disney probably doesn't really care about video games so PlayStation might go bye bye or be sold off

Never say never, but that's a wild rumor no one's taking seriously other than people who really want Disney to get the Spider-Man rights back permanently.

And honestly, I don't think the majority of game buyers (who ain't us) really care about microtransactions in AAA games. Mortal Kombat 11 is klogged with the things (har!) and it's still the top-selling game of the year. Same with the rest of the third-party games that sell well.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

My first one died due to the laser messing up (there was a fix to it, but it got annoying after a while so I just bought a new one). So mine wasn't rugged at all.

The GCN also had some big problems with the power supply just up and dying.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    There's two things I'd like to add about what's going on with Sony.

When it comes to the hardware itself, I'm not terribly worried. Mark Cerny is still the chief architect of the PS5, as he was for the PS4. So from a perspective of what the next console can offer, I think that'll be fine.

I'm more concerned with what they'll be doing with the online component. Now what a lot of people are forgetting is that Sony and Microsoft, against all odds, are teaming up to make sure that platforms like Google or Amazon don't get ahead of them in cloud streaming. So whatever offers are going to be available from both an online and a backwards compatibility perspective will probably be identical between the two companies.

That... could be either really good or really terrible, depending on what's produced.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    In the time-honored tradition of the PS2 and PS3 eras, I loaded up the new Gundam today and wrestled with the sluggish controls and bad movement for like 10 minutes. Ahh, that was a trip down memory lane, axle-breaking potholes and all. It’s good to know that some things never change, no matter how many actually good mech games we get, like Titanfall 2 and Hawken.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Hard disagree on Titanfall 2 being a good mech game. It has mechs and it's good game. But piloting mechs just feels like being a big person.

Sad to hear the Gundam game feels bad though.

Sony apparently moved their cross play initiative out of beta today. They claim that any developer who wants it can now use it. I would be ecstatic to play borderlands 3 with my friends in Xbox.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Sony apparently moved their cross play initiative out of beta today. They claim that any developer who wants it can now use it. I would be ecstatic to play borderlands 3 with my friends in Xbox.

Apparently it's boosted PUBG console queues pretty seriously, especially FPP queues, which used to be pretty empty on Playstation.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    (Looks longingly at decades old LOLSony memes)

Someday. Someday.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I was around for the good times of 2006. I like sony consoles, but boy it was fun going LolSony

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I was around for the good times of 2006. I like sony consoles, but boy it was fun going LolSony

Real life battles.

And here we have a giant crab boss.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Real life battles.

And here we have a giant crab boss.

Crossplay is five hundred and ninety nine US dollars.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I know PSNow isn't popular here but I use it a lot and they've done a couple good things recently.

1. Added a few higher-profile-than-normal games; the new God of War, Uncharted 4, GTA V, and Infamous Second Son. The catch is higher profile games are being given limited-time availability, they're playable from now until January. Also more will be added per month on top of the regular 'lesser' additions.
    2. Reduced the costs to $10 1 month / $25 3 months/ $60 year

I know PSNow isn't popular here but I use it a lot and they've done a couple good things recently.

1. Added a few higher-profile-than-normal games; the new God of War, Uncharted 4, GTA V, and Infamous Second Son. The catch is higher profile games are being given limited-time availability, they're playable from now until January. Also more will be added per month on top of the regular 'lesser' additions.

Yeah and also the ability to download games instead of streaming is also great, PS Now is one of the better ones now IMO. 15/month for Now and Plus would be the sweet spot that would make me bite

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

Yeah and also the ability to download games instead of streaming is also great, PS Now is one of the better ones now IMO. 15/month for Now and Plus would be the sweet spot that would make me bite
    PS4 and PS2 games being downloadable for the PS4 has been part of the service for quite some time, but the new pricing makes it a lot more attractive, especially if they are competing with Stadia. The ability to stream PS4 games on PC is nice, too, although that requires decent bandwidth (but the downloading to the PS4 is just like downloading a PS Plus "free" game or any other digital download). I will note that for a year's subscription, PS Plus is already $60 (USD), and it's been as low as $43 as of last month. So you can already get PS Plus + PS Now for less than $10 month if you go for a year's subscription, and you wait for a deal for PS Plus.

EDIT: Oh hey, PS Now has Bloodborne, a lot of Metal Gear Solid games (including both MGS V games and Revengeance), The Last Of Us, and Uncharted 2-3 (with 4 as a limited run). Neat!

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

PS4 and PS2 games being downloadable for the PS4 has been part of the service for quite some time, but the new pricing makes it a lot more attractive, especially if they are competing with Stadia. The ability to stream PS4 games on PC is nice, too, although that requires decent bandwidth (but the downloading to the PS4 is just like downloading a PS Plus "free" game or any other digital download). I will note that for a year's subscription, PS Plus is already $60 (USD), and it's been as low as $43 as of last month. So you can already get PS Plus + PS Now for less than $10 month if you go for a year's subscription, and you wait for a deal for PS Plus.

Yeah but I'm a cheapskate and never buy annual subs even though it saves me more in the longterm

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Hubris Sony has been in full effect for several years now. See:
    -Removal of Ps3 and Vita games from freebies every month with the addition of... nothing.
    -Refusing crossplay while Nintendo of all companies goes all in.
    -Continuing to ink shitty exclusivity deals for content, with Call of Duty Modern Warfare's being the worst possibly EVER.
    -Refusing EA Access and just straight up saying "Eh, we think this sucks," about it.
    -Pretending Playstation Now is on the level of Gamepass (this is laughable).
    -Having some of the worst, most terrible E3 presentations of all time.
    etc etc
    I feel like some of this is nitpicking just to nitpick and holding a grudge even as they try to improve. Sony changed their position on Cross-play a while ago and are officially all in now. Also, EA access was kinda shitty at first, and they've since changed their minds and now EA Access is on PS4. They've made significant efforts to make PS Now more like Game Pass (adding game downloads, lowering the price). And really, you're getting hung up on E3 presentations? How does a good E3 presser make the actual games better?

Game Pass still has better pricing month-to-month thanks to Game Pass Ultimate, but PS Now had the better annual pricing even before the recent price drop. And now that annual price advantage is even bigger.

The real issue is the game library. I think both services are bloated with a lot of garbage games that are really just for the bullet points. "100+ GAMES!" But I do think PS Now is worse about it. Game Pass has more legit good games, even if it's still not many.

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    One of the standout things about Xbox Game Pass is that ALL first party games hit that service day and date, especially now that they’re all coming to PC (which I have) and not just Xbox (which I don’t have). I think Sony has way better first party games, but they’re unwilling to bring stuff like Spider-man or Death Stranding or whatever prestige game to PS Now because they don’t think it makes sense financially. I mean, I kinda get it, but I would absolutely subscribe in a heartbeat if they did, even at the old price. I bought Horizon and Spider-man day one, but I waited for stuff like God of War and The Order to be on sale (or I Redboxed them).

A simple proposal: PS Now Platinum. All first party games including new releases at the old price.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    PSNow would be quite popular with me were it available where I live!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png