As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Prince: 3rd Season out on Nov 22nd!!! Always Sweep the Leg.

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Along the lines of the recent discussion, and something I was trying to find the right wording for in my earlier post and then just abandoned - I really enjoy that basically every character on the show is some shade of morally gray. And because it is ostensibly a children's show, the younger the character, the lighter the shade of gray. Although I think the only thing they've shown for Ezran is his willingness to steal pastries and going along with various deceptions in service to their mission.

On a completely different note, I was looking at that age/height pic in the OP to refresh myself on names and it now really bothers me that Callum and Rayla's ages and birthdays are logically inconsistent.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    abotkin wrote: »
    Along the lines of the recent discussion, and something I was trying to find the right wording for in my earlier post and then just abandoned - I really enjoy that basically every character on the show is some shade of morally gray. And because it is ostensibly a children's show, the younger the character, the lighter the shade of gray. Although I think the only thing they've shown for Ezran is his willingness to steal pastries and going along with various deceptions in service to their mission.

On a completely different note, I was looking at that age/height pic in the OP to refresh myself on names and it now really bothers me that Callum and Rayla's ages and birthdays are logically inconsistent.

Women are generally taller at that age, what is the problem?

• Options
    Enc wrote: »

It's not the height, as you said, that's fairly common at that age. It's that Callum is listed as being slightly younger on his actual age (14 5/6 vs 15), but their birthdays are listed so that he would be two weeks older (July 15 vs July 31).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

It's not the height, as you said, that's fairly common at that age. It's that Callum is listed as being slightly younger on his actual age (14 5/6 vs 15), but their birthdays are listed so that he would be two weeks older (July 15 vs July 31).

I took that as Callum being one year and 16 days younger than Rayla.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    Didn't Callum say he was 14 and 5/6 in the pilot, possibly to Soren? It's been a while since I watched it.
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    It's excellent writing and I always feel like they're just one scene away from doing the right thing. Except all of the characters are built in a way they're always doing the right thing with the information they have. By perspective none are motivated by low rent Disney style good guy / bad guy trope morality. It's really impressive.
    In retrospect, it makes me give the writer of this show more credit for Avatar than the creators and helps explain to me why Korra got so bad. The writer here is great.

There were more writers on the show than Aaron, Bryan, and Mike. Not saying that he isn't a good writer, but I'm over the implication that everything good came from Arron at the expense of the rest of the staff, especially the creators.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Korra was hampered by being created piecemeal and quickly compared to Avatar. It was first ordered for one season only, then renewed for 3 season to be aired in quick succession. Remember Avatar was 3 season from the start and was paced out in production to the point the last few episodes where aired months after the rest. While Korra's season where aired one right after the other.

So the staff had to first write a self-contained 1 season story, followed by 3 season straight away. Of course it suffered.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Watched through the first two seasons yesterday and today. Pretty good show. Def feels like one that netflix is going to randomly kill before they finish their story though, which is a bummer.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Watched through the first two seasons yesterday and today. Pretty good show. Def feels like one that netflix is going to randomly kill before they finish their story though, which is a bummer.

Why do you say that? Its got that cheaper Voltron style kinda CG but not animation, and kids shows are very much their bread and butter right now to retain subscribers. Doesn't seem like it's going to be worth killing, when they can get it nicely wrapped up in 2 or 3 more seasons.

More likely is that we're going to start getting half seasons, and pointless filler and so on, just like Voltron.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019

Like the first episode has an entire point about Callum being

Soren: "14 and a half"
    Callum: "14 and 5/6ths, technically"

right before he gets chastised for attempting to come along to fight the moon elves.

It's a context joke.

Enc on
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Wow that ended abruptly. Did they run out of money as it just seemed to end. My kids and I were a little confused when we couldn't play the next episode and saw that it was just...over.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Wow that ended abruptly. Did they run out of money as it just seemed to end. My kids and I were a little confused when we couldn't play the next episode and saw that it was just...over.

They’re doing nine episode seasons, and I suspect that they felt like this marked enough of a change in status quo to break here.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    a

right before he gets chastised for attempting to come along to fight the moon elves.

It's a context joke.

Yeah, I think it was just a combination of me being tired when I was posting before and getting hung up on the specificity of Callum's age, when Rayla would have also been either 14 5/6 or 15 5/6 herself based on the birthdays.

Anywho, on a less abotkin is being pointlessly nitpicky note, I was reading an article in which the two showrunners say they've got a ton of plot drawn up in their heads, including an ending. Which was nice to hear, but then they also say that they could keep it going as long as people are interested in more, which seems counter to their previous point. But if they can maintain the quality level of the first two seasons, I definitely wouldn't mind getting a continuous stream of 9 episode seasons every 6 months or so.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    a

It's a context joke.

Yeah, I think it was just a combination of me being tired when I was posting before and getting hung up on the specificity of Callum's age, when Rayla would have also been either 14 5/6 or 15 5/6 herself based on the birthdays.

Anywho, on a less abotkin is being pointlessly nitpicky note, I was reading an article in which the two showrunners say they've got a ton of plot drawn up in their heads, including an ending. Which was nice to hear, but then they also say that they could keep it going as long as people are interested in more, which seems counter to their previous point. But if they can maintain the quality level of the first two seasons, I definitely wouldn't mind getting a continuous stream of 9 episode seasons every 6 months or so.

Seasons 1 - 6: Callum and the gang solve all the magical and political problems.
    Seasons 7 - N: Animaniacs style sketch show, featuring favorites like, human Rayla, Soren's poetry corner, important life lessons with Villads.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Rayla is great. Human Rayla is the ultimate best.

• Options
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Rayla is great. Human Rayla is the ultimate best.

I really hope to see
    Elven Callum next season.

"I run around with my arms behind me!"

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I don’t think that
    Virin killed Sarai.

I do think that there’s a strong chance
    He left her to die.

And if so,
    I expect her to show up as a prisoner.

I like this, too, but it doesn't change my stance on Virin.
    He's definitely being written as a narcissist and an opportunist. I also would argue that he's definitely mustache twirly evil, but does so in a calculated manner. If you're no longer listening to him to advance his agenda, he will eliminate you. He will (in his mind) get his way.
    * Eliminating Sarai and pinning it on Thunder gave him the pretext to get King Harrow to invade and get dragon stuff for dark magic. An invasion that Sarai would have probably fought against.
    * He stole the egg (likely a target of the invasion), and told King Harrow that it was destroyed.
    * Claudia knew about it; even defended her father by saying he 'saved' it. He probably told her as much.
    * Forcing the soul transference onto King Harrow after King Harrow pulled rank and let him know Virin is not King Harrow's equal (narcissist in Virin couldn't handle that).
    * Ordering Soren to kill the princes so that he can usurp the throne.
    * Ordering Claudia to bring back the egg at all costs; even if it meant sacrificing Soren.

And that's just in the first couple of episodes from Season 1.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Today I realized something. The scariest part of this journey for Callum might be going back home.
    He will have to tell his aunt he lied to her.

• Options
    Oh also this was renewed for a third season.

From the official twitter account.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Coming soon? Season 2 came out like two months ago.

Not complaining. I guess that's one upside to short seasons.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Coming soon? Season 2 came out like two months ago.

Not complaining. I guess that's one upside to short seasons.

I mean they got 8 seasons of Voltron out in under 3 years

Netflix is willing to give successful stuff the fast track

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I kinda wish there was more ambiguity regarding dark magic, especially given how they’ve treated the characters in terms of good/evil.

Claudia killing a deer to save her brother does not fly as crossing any kind of moral horizon for me. We literally kill deer to keep ourselves alive in the real world, so unless your intended audience is vegans the scene didn’t do much for me. Perhaps instead killing a particularly immoral or evil solider that could have been introduced earlier in the series. Someone bad enough to where killing them to save another gives it some kind of moral ambiguity.

“Dark magic itself isn’t evil: only more dangerous and prone to abuse.” just seems like where I expected the series to go instead of the “Dark Bad” that is seems to be doing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    I kinda wish there was more ambiguity regarding dark magic, especially given how they’ve treated the characters in terms of good/evil.

Claudia killing a deer to save her brother does not fly as crossing any kind of moral horizon for me. We literally kill deer to keep ourselves alive in the real world, so unless your intended audience is vegans the scene didn’t do much for me. Perhaps instead killing a particularly immoral or evil solider that could have been introduced earlier in the series. Someone bad enough to where killing them to save another gives it some kind of moral ambiguity.

“Dark magic itself isn’t evil: only more dangerous and prone to abuse.” just seems like where I expected the series to go instead of the “Dark Bad” that is seems to be doing.
    In this regard, I think it's the implied progression, rather than the deer itself - previously, we've seen Claudia kill bugs, and other small things, or use dead or inert bodily fluids of other things. Now, it's implied she's used a living , large mammal.

So, yes, it may not cross the moral event horizon yet, but it's implied she's getting closer to it.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Also after she casts the spell to heal Soren, it's implied that the cost entailed more than just the life of a baby dear. One of the themes with dark magic, is that it seems too easy, as if there is an unknown cost beyond the fact that the magic is being taken from other living things. We see that Viren was pretty much sucking out the lifeforce of magic butterflies as a quick fix.

Kind of curious if season 3 will get into how problematic dark magic is or if they'll keep that underwraps for a later season. Kind of curious to see if mirror dude has any relation to dark magic.

• Options
    I've been meaning to do Character profiles. So here we go.

Prince Ezran
    King Ezran

1550189229431-TDP_Ezran_Zym.jpeg?crop=0.7771xw%3A0.7759xh%3B0.049xw%2C0.0722xh&resize=2000%3A*

Ezran is the rightful heir to the Throne of the Kingdom of Katolis. Also of all the characters who are protagonists, Ezran seems to have the clearest idea of right and wrong and he sticks to it pretty consistently (unless pastries are involved).

Also according to Rayla he's a "very special little boy"
    Ezran can talk to animals. And they understand him. And he understands them. Not just intuitively, Ezran understands concepts from animals that could not possibly be passed along through body language. Like when FeFe says that she gets weaker the farther she gets from the Moon Nexus. Also there seems to be a telepathic link between Ezran and Zym.

Ezran can pretty much get any animal to do almost anything for him. But it seems to be based more on persuasion then mental influence. He doesn't command that creatures do things, he persuades them to do it like you would persuade anybody else.

This is made easier by the fact that Ezran does not treat Charisma like a dump stat. Also he has a pretty good wisdom stat.

The character sheet drawn up by one of the show's producers makes this clear.

Ezran seems set up for some interesting conflicts in Season 3.
    With Ezran returning home to take up the throne. He may come into conflict with his Royal council, with Viren, and with the other human kingdoms. Viren started some nasty shit with magical reanimated Elven assassins right before he got captured. If they trace that back to Katolis there could be problems.

Also does anybody find it odd how everybody seems to just shrug off Ezran being able to talk to animals? Nobody else in the setting can do this from what I can tell. And yet everybody just seems to shrug as if the answer was "A Wizard Did It."

• Options
    edited October 2019
    So with a new season coming out, I better move it on those character profiles.

So up next

The Egg of the Dragon Prince

DtnbEkkUwAEbm6D.jpg

It's big. It's heavy. It's Shiny when it's healthy.
    Azymondias

latest?cb=20190215095212

So after a bit of trouble with dropping the egg into an icy lake, the egg has hatched. And now the group has to take care of Zym (I'm convinced that's an Invader Zim joke).

Zym acts like a puppy. Bouncy, interested in playing and having fun and easily startled and frightened by the unexpected.

After Callum fooled around in a storm and got Zym struck by lightning, we learned some things about Zym. He appears to not just be immune to lightning he appears to absorb it (and then redirect it into "shocky kisses"). Also he has learned to fly in about a week after hatching.

We've seem Zym's dad in flashbacks, so when we know what Zym is going to be like when he grows up. Also according to the official website Thunder could transform into lightning to move between the sky and earth in a flash. Honestly, seeing how powerful Thunder was, it raises a really good question.

How was his Father killed in the first place? Thunder was strong, fast, and could breathe lightning like it was a parlor trick. Viren threw some pretty nasty magic at Thunder. It proceeded to slow Thunder down for all of about 10 seconds.

In the upcoming season we will probably see a bit more concerning

Zym and other dragons
    Zym learning to be a dragon.
    Zym and Xadia, A land where magic is everywhere and where a dragon can be himself.

Of course first Zym has to get past Sol Regem...even Rayna did not sound happy to see him.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if Thunder might also be on a coin. It seems like a pretty vile magic and would also probably explain how it pulled it off and why no one found the guards. AKA they probably didn't run, they are probably also on coins.

• Options
    Mill wrote: »
    I'm wondering if Thunder might also be on a coin. It seems like a pretty vile magic and would also probably explain how it pulled it off and why no one found the guards. AKA they probably didn't run, they are probably also on coins.

Very possible.
    If Thunder is dead, then it's pretty much a guarantee that Dark Magic was involved. He could also be a coin. The guards are very very likely to be coins.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    So next profile

Rayla

runaanrayla.jpg

Rayla is a Moonshadow Elf, an Assassin, and essentially the heavy of the Trio of bipeds that make up our protagonists.
    Rayla's stats

Rayla has never killed anyone, despite being an assassin. In fact Rayla seems at her strongest, most determined and most skillful when she is trying to protect people. This ties into her parents who were part of the DragonGuard. Supposedly, her parents ran away and left Thunder to die. Considering that Viren has a bag full of coins made out of souls, it is possible that this is not what happened. If that turns out to be true, her reaction to it is anybody's guess. Probably not good though.

As stated before Rayla has never killed anybody. Despite this, I am confident in labeling her the heavy of the group. Rayla is strong, fast, tough and a good fighter. And while she doesn't want to/like to/wish to kill anyone, she has no ethical problems beating ten kinds of hell out of somebody when she feels it is necessary. She won't kill them. She will leave them needing a week or two to recuperate.

Rayla wields two short swords that can turn into climbing picks/pickaxes. Rayla does the best human impression.

She also appears to have a thing for Callum.

Season three should see some major character development for Rayla.
    Callum and Rayla might become closer friends. They seem to be getting along better as time goes by.
    Of course judging by the titles of the Chapter 3 episodes we are going to find out how Thunder died. So that could bring some conflict for Rayla. Or a lot of conflict. Since it is the central motivator of the plot so far.
    And now Rayla has to guide Callum through Xadia. A land where being a human is... not a good thing. It's a bad thing. It's a really bad thing.

And of course the worst thing of all. Now that we are in Xadia, we may never see Human Rayla again.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    And of course the worse thing of all. Now that we are in Xadia, we may never see Human Rayla again.
    That's it, I'm cancelling my Netflix subscription.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Human Rayla is the best character on the show.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    It could happen.

Some magical Titan: "Who dares trespass here? This place is forbidden to elven kind!"

Then she pretends to be lost on account of her poor eye sight and general sense of direction.

• Options
    Okay, time for the next profile. I will now tackle the main character of the show. The lead. The protagonist.

Article2Inline2.jpg

Bait.

Bait is a very grumpy glow toad.

There are no spoilers. Bait is exactly who and what he seems to be. There is no character development, Bait is living his ideal grumpy toad life.

Bait has a sweet tooth and is not above stealing sweet drinks (Rayla's berry juice) and sweet food (Jelly Tarts).

Bait is apparently delicious.

Bait related content relating to another character
    King Harrow was apparently pretty close to Bait. He named Bait and he knew that Bait loves tummy rubs.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Next character up. (I have a lot of these to get through and only a few weeks to do it)

Prince Callum

maxresdefault.jpg

Prince Callum is the elder half-brother of Ezran. He likes to read, draw, and take care of his little brother. He apparently has a very good memory. He also loves the ladies. Especially Claudia

He is awful at swordfighting and doesn't know anything about armor or horsemanship.
    Callum the Sky Mage.

Stats

So that love of reading, good memory and talent for drawing apparently make Callum a natural Mage. He hasn't been able to get his hands on a book of magic (except a book of Dark Magic in season 2 and he doesn't like to use that stuff), so Callum has had to learn spells by seeing other people doing them. And then copying their actions flawlessly. He's seen two spells so far and copied them perfectly.

Of course in the first season his primary discovery was that he was a mage. And that nobody likes a loud mage. He stole Claudia's primal stone and then smashed it to hatch Zym. Which is actually a cool moment of character definition for him. Callum loves magic, but not more than the lives of others. Which ties into the whole "No Dark Magic" thing he has going on.

In the second season, Callum continued to try to learn magic. He suffered some setbacks, because he wasn't born with an arcanum (a primal wellspring of magic) to draw on. In his quest to get an arcanum, he nearly got himself electrocuted in a rain storm, before realizing that dying in an attempt to learn magic would be stupid. But after a brief experimentation with dark magic, and a dark magic induced coma/vision quest (in which the show implied that if he didn't sort this out, he was going to die), Callum connected to the Sky Arcanum. He still only knows two spells, but he can use them at will now.

This may make Callum the only human primal mage currently alive. Maybe ever, maybe not for a long time.

There have been rumors and hints (mostly spread by me) that Callum might learn other Arcanum and spells. After all, if he can forge a connection to one Arcanum, why not others? We know of one mage who mastered all 6.

Callum is currently carrying the Key of Aaravos. Which any DM would tell you is a story hook the size of Windsor Castle.

As some of you might know, I like the Harry Dresden series. And I see Callum as the most Dresden like. Not in ruthlessness, and let's hope the series doesn't get as dark as the Dresden Files (I hope it doesn't get anywhere near that rough). But I see Callum as the most Dresden-like in his attitude towards magic. Viren treats magic like its a tool to solve problems. Claudia treats magic like a mystery to unravel. Lujanne treats her magic as a duty and a reflection of herself, as well as a philosophical extension of her beliefs. Callum loves his magic for the miracle it is. He wants to learn more and be able to do more with it, but I think he is delighted with magic because it's magic. It doesn't need to do anything else, just be magic and be something he can do. A spell to repair an old beat up book would be as fun for Callum as the ability to throw lightning.

Now I mentioned above that he likes Claudia. I think as of Season 2, Episode 7, that may be over. In that episode Claudia is warning him about the dangers of using dark magic if someone doesn't show you how to do it. Callum's response? A completely unemotional: "You already did." The opposite of love is not hate. It's apathy. Callum doesn't care anymore. Claudia had a trust/friendship budget and she's spent it.

On the new friends front, Callum is getting along better with Rayla. When he was writing a letter to King Harrow, he was quite fulsome in his descriptions of her. Though he did leave out how daring she is until prompted. In doesn't seem like romance, at least not from Callum's side, but he does seem to really respect her.

Up next for Callum in season 3
    More magic, more danger, more elves, more dragons. Poor bastard is going to want to lie down after all of this.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OGV93cEyfM

We might not see more Human Rayla, but Elf Callum could be alright.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Damn that looks so good.

I am going to enjoy this.

I hope they get to do the future seasons they are hoping to do.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

Damn that looks so good.

From the trailer, it looks more like they're trying to wrap it up with this season. a shame since it is a really well built world.

• Options

Damn that looks so good.

From the trailer, it looks more like they're trying to wrap it up with this season. a shame since it is a really well built world.

From their interviews that was always the plan.

If they get more seasons, then we get more on Aaravos.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Is that the mirror guy?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Is that the mirror guy?

Yup. Mirror Guy. Archmage (as in from what the show has told us, he is the only mage to have mastered all 6 primal magics).

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I guess I need to do a rewatch I don’t remember him saying that much about himself.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀