As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
edited November 2019 in Games and Technology
lIWRtdC.png
Hello there! Welcome to the World of POKéMON. This world is inhabited by creatures called POKéMON! For some people, POKéMON are pets. Others use them for fights. And still others study POKéMON as a profession. First, what is your name?

What is Pokémon?

Pokémon is a HUGE multi-media franchise, with an anime series, yearly film releases, a trading card game, and tons of different video games. We mostly talk about the video games here.

Currently Available!
POKéMON SWORD and SHIELD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_dgvgpC8Nw
These games have new features such as: 4 Player Co-Op Dynamax Raid Battles, Open-World-ish Wild Areas, New Pokémon, and more! These are our "main-line" games and have the more competitive features long-time fans have come to expect. If you're confused about which game to get, its one of these.

POKéMON LET'S GO, PIKACHU! and LET'S GO, EEVEE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jRtpMKLsts
These games are HD remakes of the original Red/Blue/Yellow. Battles and Online features are simplified a bit, and you can only catch the original 151 (+a few extras). They are cute and fun for the more casual Pokemon fan.

Aren't there other games?

There are so many other games. One of them is literally just you watching Pikachu watch TV. You can talk about any of them! You can also talk about the TCG or Movies or Whatever. Except for Pokemon GO. Please use the Pokémon GO thread.

Now get out there and enjoy the world of Pokémon! Your journey has begun!

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
Let's Plays of Japanese Games
TDawg on

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Entries for the ULTRA FINAL ONLINE COMPETITION are now live!

nyy53qest8bp.jpg
    Click the picture to sign up!

Time: Oct 4-Oct 6
    Prize: SHINY TAPU KOKO! But it's not locked to Timid this time!
    Rules: Bring 6, Pick 3 Singles! ANYTHING Is allowed! Yes, even your Mew! Yes, bring 6 Arceus! Yes, even your Pokemon from Gen 3 via PokeTransporter! They don't care anymore!!!!!!!

Nice to end our time with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon on a high note with a fun tournament like this. I'm really looking forward to it.

TDawg on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya3CyVN5S_w

Next week there will be a livestream of the Glimwood Tangle in Galar. Put your research hats on!

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Everything about Sword/Shield has me at omega levels of hype.

I loved Sun/Moon simply for the graphical updates, quality of life updates, Alolan forms, and a lot of other "small stuff" but the games themselves never really resonated with me. I think that from a technical and mechanical standpoint, Sun/Moon are best in series. There's not really any question about that. But in terms of resonance and the game that I feel the greatest connection to, it would either be Ruby/Sapphire or X/Y. Or maybe ORAS which is basically the best of both of those.

And anyway, Sword/Shield is already resonating very strong with me and I cannot freakin' wait for that game to come out.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I don't think I am *that* hyped but I am very much looking forward to it. I really did love Sun a lot. I hope they can recapture some of that with this one. I'm mildly worried part of what I really loved about Sun & Moon was tied a bit too much to that specific setting (i.e. the setting was really different from past games + stuff like the island trials were kind of a refreshing change), but I mean, they are doing some neat things with this one so hopefully it also has that uniqueness that Sun & Moon had.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Eyy, a YouTuber found info about upcoming Gen 4 Merch, same thing started happening with the past merch before remakes came out. Going back to Sinnoh baybeee.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/345591-rumor-pokemon-merchandise-production-may-point-to-upcoming-gen?fbclid=IwAR30PorJroFWv4pfbxpLeFvVcSoZZGCOC_ec7WZ1NkTY7SQ9mXaL3JqPGwg

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Placing my bets on the names being EternalDiamond and InfinatePearl.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    So looks like Ash isn't retiring from the anime, but they are changing his design and the format of the show

The preview image hints at them returning to older locations like Kanto/Johto and Unova. I might be jumping the gun a bit, but I'm thinking they are rebooting him to the start of a new arc. His outfit even looks like his original design, with the blue jacket.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya3CyVN5S_w

Next week there will be a livestream of the Glimwood Tangle in Galar. Put your research hats on!

I'm guessing / hoping there'll be like 10 minutes of actual, new footage and that's just gonna loop for 24 hours.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I would bet a slightly more interesting usage of that time would be to have new pokemon pop in and show up all throughout the 24 hours. 10 mins looped would be a huge waste of the 24 hour live stream of the forest idea.

That way people can talk about what pokemon they saw and can share screenshots of the new pokemon they've found. Otherwise the 24 hour thing is honestly completely pointless.

I imagine it will mostly be quiet, have a fair amount of pretty generic stuff we're already familiar with, a few new Pokemon, and a background blink and you'll miss it Legendary reveal somewhere around the 16 hour mark. Something that people will keep open and check in on from time to time throughout the day but sitting and watching it is what biologists get unpaid interns to do.

I could also see it being a more compressed version of that that lasts an hour or three and loops throughout the day.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea I would guess there would be lots of basic background footage to run through out the time. Just with the interesting stuff interspersed throughout the whole period.

I read a Kotaku article this morning about the new kid in the anime and they said his name is either "Go" or "Gou" depending on translation. And he looks like a Pokemon Go player. I actually really like his design. And depending on what they do with the relationship, I think it would be cool for them to move Ash into more of a mentor-like role and teaching this new kid from 20+ years of experience. That would be neat.

edited October 2019
    https://youtu.be/bcLScW_4RpU

In this Trailer, Gou says "Catching all the Pokemon, that's my dream!", so I'd say that it's going more of a Ash=Battles, Gou=Catching route, but it's really too early to tell.

TDawg on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Gou is the reincarnation of that collection-crazy villain from the Lugia movie.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    More of that PokeSouls fanart.

The last one was

Kind of surprised at myself for being interested in the game as the last one I played was Diamond

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Artorias + Sirfetch'd. Ha!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    New info from Serebii:

There's a major league and a minor league of gyms in Sw/Sh.

Totaling 18 gyms!

That's awesome.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    18? Thats crazy talk. That's more than GS.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »
    18? Thats crazy talk. That's more than GS.

Also conveniently the same number as there are pokemon types!

edited October 2019
    At the end of the season are 3 types relegated to the minor league?

Welcome Plastic, Glass and Computer types to the 2020 Championship. :P

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

Including some of the important Game Informer tweets from today in a spoiler for length-purposes, they talk about mechanics, not story/Pokemon reveals, so this isn't a "spoiler" unless you want to no nothing about the new games.

My big take-away is that it sounds like a few features I had dreamed up as too-good-to-be-true might actually be happening, like bringing in Pokemon from old generations and making them available for competitive play (I dont' care if they reset at level 1 with no moves, I just wan them!) and changing natures (so that when I catch my single legendary I don't have to fret over what nature it is so much, I can change my Timid Lele to a Modest Lele for a new team, etc.). More than just these being really cool features, it shows that they're really considering what kind of features players need in order to make competitive play more accessible. Which is super cool, and I hope the trend continues.

TDawg wrote: »

Just a reminder that today is the last day to sign up for the Ultra Super Duper Final Online Competition, and it starts tomorrow. Good luck, trainers!

Yikes.

That's a pretty big mistake.

Was that 24 hour stream yesterday or today? Has any new info come out of that?

Neither!

Oct 4th 13:00 UTC

edited October 2019
    Well, it's been 10 minutes, so far we've seen Pikachu and Morelull. Gotta go to work now, but it doesn't seem like I'll be missing much.

Edit: oh, just as I was about to turn it off, something new appeared, possibly. Could've also been a Mareanie though, kinda hard to tell.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    I turned the stream on, have randomly peeked at it here and there, so far have not seen anything at all.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Yeah... I'll stick to the cliffnotes

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Yea, it seems to be just as expected.

It's supposed to be like watching an actual stream in nature for 24 hours. Most just the forests with little surprises along the way and the internet with gather together all of those fun surprises for you so no need to worry about missing anything or even watching it if you don't feel like watching a forest.

It's a really cool way to do a few poke introductions imo. Mixes things up.

• CururuCururu Registered User regular
    The feed audio makes for some nice chill background music at least.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    That is definitely a Galarian-Ponyta.

Awesome.

LordSolarMacharius on
    Fire/Fairy?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

Awesome.

I reckon they've gone full current trend/meme and it's a rainbow unicorn. Bonus points if it has a backstory involving fighting some kind of lion (Galarian-Arcanine?) for a crown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_and_the_Unicorn

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Current trend?

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular

Awesome.

I reckon they've gone full current trend/meme and it's a rainbow unicorn. Bonus points if it has a backstory involving fighting some kind of lion (Galarian-Arcanine?) for a crown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_and_the_Unicorn

Unfortunately, they've already shown regular Arcanine.

(I suppose it could be a fake-out; after all, if there was a Galarian-Growlithe you'd still be able to trade forward another region's Arcanine. But... 'tis an ill sign...)

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Current trend?

Maybe it's just because I have two small children but there doesn't seem to be a single product in this world that you could not find for purchase somewhere with a rainbow unicorn design on it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Theres Unicorn pop tarts.

Even borderlands has one

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.