As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Preview of that other VR game that they're making:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HDo-X-AW0E

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm finally watching Twice Upon A Time and in a few weeks I'll binge the latest season when my best friend comes to visit
    This is quite charming!

"You can't say things like that!"
    "Says who?"
    "Just about everyone you'll meet for the rest of your life."

I'm enjoying season 11 so far
    The one on the medical ship was the low point, every season must have one

Demons of the Punjab fucking DESTROYED ME, my friend and I just silently stared at the wall for a minute when that one was done

Jodie Whittaker is fantastic too, what a good choice

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Demons of the Punjab is probably the best episode of the season. That or the Witchfinders.

But I do think both of those episodes are slightly held back by the formula of Doctor Who requiring aliens in every episode. I think old school pure historicals would be great to bring back

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Yeah at least S11 had a couple of really strong episodes to show that the new format can work.

Bit of a tangent, but thinking back on it I wonder if one of the companions wasn't a late addition? Because so many of the episodes seemed to have no idea what to do with one of them, and it was usually Yaz. And yes, three companions is unusual for Doctor Who, but it's not that many main characters for a TV show and an experienced writer shouldn't have trouble working with that number - unless they'd already built the first draft of their script around a different number.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My only issue with the last season was that during the big talks the companions were all just standing in a line really awkwardly, evenly spaced. In every episode.

Relax guys! Mill about. Do something!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Someone stop Alan Cumming before he eats the entire set

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I want new episodes :[

They've been very, very quiet about next season. It's got the Judoon, and they've named a few guest actors, but nothing else has leaked.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Wait. Is this just for the season 26 release or is she also going to be in new episodes? I only ask since Ace is my favorite companion of the entire series.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited September 2019
    Wait. Is this just for the season 26 release or is she also going to be in new episodes? I only ask since Ace is my favorite companion of the entire series.

I think it is just a season 26 thing. I couldn't watch much of it. I am at work.

It seems like they really put some effort into a mature version of Ace. It hope she is in the new series.

Krathoon on
    edited September 2019
    Sophie must have been in her 20s when she played Ace. The series ended in 1989 and she is 57 now. So, she was 27 back then. So, mid to late 20s.

She looked more like an 18 year old.

Krathoon on
  • ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    I think our perception of how old people look has been slightly warped by television and movies casting generally older people.
    She definitely looked young when she played Ace but not like a teenager I think.

The friendship between Ace and the Doctor was pretty special. It was the old man and the kid dynamic. Like Marty and Doc Brown.

Ace carried a baseball bat and made her own high explosives. That automatically puts her into the top tier before you even get to her awesome characterization.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    The Doctor and Ace has some of my all time favorite stuff in Doctor Who

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    "I don't suppose you've completely ignored my instructions and secretly prepared any Nitro-9, have you?"

"What if I had?"

"Naturally, you wouldn't do anything so insanely dangerous as to carry it around with you, would you?"

"Of course not. I'm a good girl, I do what I'm told."

"Excellent. Blow up that vehicle."

edited September 2019
    Wasn't that from Remembrance of the Daleks?

I liked the kinetcally charged baseball bat.

Krathoon on
    it's from Silver Nemesis, actually!

Wasn't Nemesis the one with those other time travelers?

yeah, there's a couple of bad guys from old timey England who time travel in from the past

Nemesis is a weird one.

• ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Nemesis is a weird one.
    I love the part with the time travelling witch from the past who legit says “because I am e-vil” at some point with the most pronounced posh accent.

I'm a bit late here, but Terrance Dicks was an absolute giant of Doctor Who writing. He contributed an enormous amount to the show, especially during Jon Pertwee's run, and he was instrumental in modernising the show just when it most needed a kick up the arse.

Dicks was once asked what the secret to good writing was and gave the most brilliantly succinct answer: "Simplicity, clarity and pace." Sure enough, I don't think the man ever wrote a dull or confusing story in his life, but something that's often overlooked is that he also had a pretty good ear for writing humour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3CWXqUqPFA&list=PLKEzuOOEQvYMmeWiK_HaMGZPTF-_q8_fT&index=4

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    someone made a very impressive extended version of the Gallifrey Stands sequence from Day of the Doctor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtM_vcCoKYc

Wow it really wasn’t a fun time for him making that season. No wonder he doesn’t want to revisit it.

It sure didn't show in his acting. The regeneration was actually a nice ending to that season. It was a nice intro for people new to the show.

New trailer for The Edge of Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1BPCg75g_U

It looks pretty cool? I've never played a VR game so I have nothing to compare it to.

This is from the official Doctor Who YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vk6wtVigew

Well okay then.

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I'm up to S10E07 (The Pyramid At The End Of The World)

I really haven't been feeling Peter Capaldi's whole run overall, the plot has just been weak

but I think the monks might turn it around right at the end? I've really liked the last couple episodes.

sig.gif
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Capaldi's Doctor took an exceptionally long time to be done cooking. I'd argue he's not really himself until the last scene of Series 9, after Clara leaves.

Series 10 made him my favorite Doctor.

Oh brilliant
    You can really feel they started off going This Is Curmudgeon Doctor

then that didn't work and they completely shifted to Aging Rock Star Doctor in an extremely explicit way.

sig.gif
    also Bill and Nardole are about a hundred million times more fun to watch than Clara don't @ me

sig.gif