As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] An Annihilator shot this thread straight through. [CLOSED]

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    This is why I run an ERSL in my head on the Cyclops. But yeah I always try to run one energy on my ammo mechs if possible.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    "Erlkönig wrote:
    edit - wait...but I am the Clans. oh crap... uh, nevermind, ignore everything I've said!

That reminds me: What's your favorite and/or favored ride on the Clan 'Mech side?

I need to know...for reasons.

10 days late, but clan side mech...
    Kit Fox or an Arctic Cheetah... you know me @Nips . strip it and make it go fast.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    "Erlkönig wrote:
    edit - wait...but I am the Clans. oh crap... uh, nevermind, ignore everything I've said!

That reminds me: What's your favorite and/or favored ride on the Clan 'Mech side?

Kit Fox or an Arctic Cheetah... you know me @Nips . strip it and make it go fast.

Thank you, and Congratulations on volunteering to be part of the Oosiks Clan Auxiliaries!

Please submit your sibko and geneline information via the secured channels. ;)

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    "Never Tell Me The Odds"
    v3yt8oj2upd8.jpeg

From someone doing career mode. Reddit post.

So my machine is back online and I had to try MWO out on it. Yep, works fine and I have to say that LB20Xs are my new fun thanks to the event. Slapped 2 of them and a bunch of ERMLs onto my Annihilator. Pushed ahead of my team and into the enemy murder ball. No skills and was twisting like Chubby Checkers leading the charge by my team to victory. Got that part done of the event but yeah runs like a champ. Now I'm ready for Thursday's Oosik Night.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    "Erlkönig wrote:

Thank you, and Congratulations on volunteering to be part of the Oosiks Clan Auxiliaries!

Please submit your sibko and geneline information via the secured channels. ;)

Question! What are the limits on this? Like, we talking "new line of minis" only? Only MWO models? Any clan mechs up to and including invasion era?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So to finish off the challenges I had to do stuff that I wasn't proud of.

Dual LB-20X on my Fafnir (won).
    Taking my 5xERLL WHM-6D into QP (surprisingly, won).
    Putting dual ERPPC on my Crab (did much much better than it should have).

But the end result is everything is done. Amusingly enough, just about everything else was done in faction play (cLB-20X part was easy when 3 out of 4 mechs in your deck are sporting at least one).

So, I have C-Bills burning in my pocket and need to spend them on something. I know the Rifleman IIC is dropping on Tuesday, and I'm going to pick up the base model for an ERLL boat, but I also need a straight forward Clan dakka heavy. Oddly enough, I can't find anything on suggestions for good ones. Mostly "play laser vom, or buy a hero."

One of the suggestions I did see was this one: SNS-D. Dual UAC/5, UAC/10, ECM. All weapons are on the right side which can suck if they take off my right torso, but it's the Nascar meta right now in QP so...

EDIT: Also just came across the NTG-B

No ECM, but better dakka and more ammo. Not as sure about the convergence or hardpoint locations.

Nobody on
    The only one I used to have is a 3UAC5 Hellbringer with ECM and a Ebon Jag with 3UAC5s, but never got them to work as well as other people do in them.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    Yeah, I haven't purchased computer hardware online since Newegg shipped me a faulty power supply that cooked my mobo. Then they charged me for the privilege of RMAing it, just to add insult to injury. Donno what's happened to them over the years. I think I'd ordered the parts for 3 or 4 complete computers from them since 2005 or so. But they aren't what they used to be.

It's about an hour drive to my nearest Microcenter, but it's still worth it.

Oh, good. Currently facing the dilemma of either starting to upgrade for MW5 (which I already paid for) and playing CoD with my brother (meet requirements, but barely), or giving up on PC and picking up a refurb XBone for CoD. I had settled on going the upgrade route, since I've got a big backlog on PC and I can do it $100-200 at a time vs dropping close to $400 at once to play one Xbox game, but my tech savvyness ends at "plug things into the slot that fits" and I have a very, very short fuse for troubleshooting...

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    "Never Tell Me The Odds"
    v3yt8oj2upd8.jpeg

From someone doing career mode. Reddit post.

Request immediate renegotiation of contract or else we will make sure the opposite of what you want happens.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    @monkeykins the PC Build Thread is your friend! We can give recommendations and help with troubleshooting

@monkeykins the PC Build Thread is your friend! We can give recommendations and help with troubleshooting

Tha what now? I kind of looked around for it, but I'll be honest, outside about 3 threads here I have no idea how this forum operates!

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    monkeykins wrote: »
    monkeykins the PC Build Thread is your friend! We can give recommendations and help with troubleshooting

Tha what now? I kind of looked around for it, but I'll be honest, outside about 3 threads here I have no idea how this forum operates!

@monkeykins https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/228062/pc-build-thread-video-cards-still-expensive-ryzen-still-awesome

Basically, unless you're after console exclusives (which is an area the Xbone has a distinct lack of aside from the Halos (currently, at least)) or you have friends who absolutely refuse to play on PC, there's no real reason to hop to a console over upgrading your PC.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    monkeykins the PC Build Thread is your friend! We can give recommendations and help with troubleshooting

@monkeykins https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/228062/pc-build-thread-video-cards-still-expensive-ryzen-still-awesome

Basically, unless you're after console exclusives (which is an area the Xbone has a distinct lack of aside from the Halos (currently, at least)) or you have friends who absolutely refuse to play on PC, there's no real reason to hop to a console over upgrading your PC.

Oh, I didnt even know the linked forum existed!
    Yeah, my brother has an xbox and won't be getting anything else. We were never close and he's been going through some life issues so despite a newfound distaste for "realistic" shooters i said I would play the new CoD with him. Since I already have a bunch of PC games and am very excited still about MW5, and there is cross play for CoD, I'd like to stick with PC.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    Yeah, I haven't purchased computer hardware online since Newegg shipped me a faulty power supply that cooked my mobo. Then they charged me for the privilege of RMAing it, just to add insult to injury. Donno what's happened to them over the years. I think I'd ordered the parts for 3 or 4 complete computers from them since 2005 or so. But they aren't what they used to be.

It's about an hour drive to my nearest Microcenter, but it's still worth it.

Oh, good. Currently facing the dilemma of either starting to upgrade for MW5 (which I already paid for) and playing CoD with my brother (meet requirements, but barely), or giving up on PC and picking up a refurb XBone for CoD. I had settled on going the upgrade route, since I've got a big backlog on PC and I can do it $100-200 at a time vs dropping close to $400 at once to play one Xbox game, but my tech savvyness ends at "plug things into the slot that fits" and I have a very, very short fuse for troubleshooting...

Don't let my bad experience sway you. Building a PC is easier than ever IMHO. No more bridging pins on the motherboard to set the CPU clock speed. There aren't multiple types of system buses anymore. Most hardware sellers bundle the CPU/Mobo/Ram which are the parts you are most likely to jack up.

To finish my story, after I went to Microcenter they hooked me the fuck up, didn't try to upsell me, and I walked out with a replacement CPU/Mobo/Ram combo to replace everything that got cooked in my old computer. And a new PSU. Plopped in the same HD's, video card and wifi and I was good to go.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy putting together my current computer was, outside of (still) not being able to figure out how the numbers work for GPU. Bigger numbers should always mean better!

But what if they get too big!

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    @htm I took on a mission and managed to headshot a Awesome. Currently equipped with 2x PPC and a MLaser + 3xPPC (srsly an energy hardpoint on the head sucks balls). Haven't tried it out yet, but I"m hoping for some sniping fun.

If you have an Awesome, be sure it has plenty of opportunities to take a nap.

More seriously, it's a really good platform for any LL+++ (+10 dmg/+3 acc) you might have. Headshot sniping is the obvious role, but you should keep an open mind. Whenever I play with a dedicated sniper, I leave it to shoot last, and then at the end of the turn, I check out any in-range targets for badly damaged limbs. A called shot with 4 LLs on a badly damaged leg is good odds for an easy knockdown that your brawlers can feast on at the start of the next turn.

htm on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    htm wrote: »
    If you have an Awesome, be sure it has plenty of opportunities to take a nap.

Okay, that was beautiful.

Orca on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Started another BT career mode run. The game gave me a Vindicator, Enforcer, Urbie, Jenner, and Cicada. The combined pinpoint between the Enforcer, Vindicator, and Urbanmech has made the starting planet pretty easy.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Started another BT career mode run. The game gave me a Vindicator, Enforcer, Urbie, Jenner, and Cicada. The combined pinpoint between the Enforcer, Vindicator, and Urbanmech has made the starting planet pretty easy.

That's a nice starting lance! Which Urbie and Cicada did you get?

My current career I started on a lark just to see what random lance I would get. I got two Centurions, two Panthers and a Locust. That's like getting triple cherries playing slots, so, you know, I just had to keep playing the career...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Sleepy Awesome reminds me of the Direstar:

https://youtu.be/iTlXw2qGB2w

Iolo wrote: »

My current career I started on a lark just to see what random lance I would get. I got two Centurions, two Panthers and a Locust. That's like getting triple cherries playing slots, so, you know, I just had to keep playing the career...

Did anyone happen to check if the ABC patch also screwed up new careers? Like if you started one, did you get more Centurions or Blackjacks?

edited October 2019
    Iolo wrote: »

R60 Urbie, which is a beast. And the Cicada 2A which embodies all the problems with the Cicadas, in that it takes the worst attributes of lights and puts them into a medium chassis. (Is the Cicada any good on the TT?) In this lance it only serves as a backup for the Jenner or perhaps punishment for any pilots who get out of line.

Dark_Side on
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    (Is the Cicada any good on the TT?)

It's a mixed bag. A lot of the early versions pay a tonnage premium for a big engine (8/12 speed on a 40-tonner), but mount Spider-like armaments and little armor in trade.

The -3M is cute with its UAC/5, but the -3F is a beast: much better armor, an 8/12/8 move profile with added jump jets, and an ER-PPC plus two MLs for guns. You pay a BV/C-bill premium on that one, though. Some of the other later-era variants are likewise good.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

https://youtu.be/iTlXw2qGB2w

I don't play MWO, but that is comedy gold.

Orca wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »

Direstar

I don't play MWO, but that is comedy gold.

b33f's old meme videos were pretty good. He was doing stealth locust before it was cool

He was the reason stealth Locusts became a thing though.

Now there are stealth Commandos, Fleas and Fafnirs.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited October 2019
    Okay

am I crazy? Or is the Shadowcat THE ONLY medium Clan omnimech in TT that goes 6/9 (~95km/h)? I seriously can't find any other ones

although I didn't look at any of the Dark Age 'mechs.

e: I meant omnimech, my bad!

Tox on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Battle Cobra, Clint IIC, Griffin IIC, Lobo, Pouncer, Shadow Hawk IIC, Hellhound, Ryoken and Goshawk?

I think 6/9 is actually the most popular speed for Clan mediums.

Tox wrote: »
    Okay

am I crazy? Or is the Shadowcat THE ONLY medium Clan battlemech in TT that goes 6/9 (~95km/h)? I seriously can't find any other ones

although I didn't look at any of the Dark Age 'mechs.

Just poking around on Sarna for Clan mediums that zip about at ~95 (95-97kph)...
    • Stormcrow
    • Vapor Eagle
    • Conjuror

There are a bunch more that are faster and a few that are slower.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited October 2019
    Oh I definitely meant omnimech, my bad.

Looks like the Battle Cobra, Pouncer, and Stormcrow are all in there. I missed the first two because I started at 55 and skipped the Stormcrow because its ugly. By the time I'd gotten through all the 45-tonners I was like "bah!" and came here to complain instead.

The problem with faster is it costs too much weight. The problem with slower is it's ... well, slower!

Tox on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Slow and steady wins the dakka.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    For me, for clan 'mechs, 50-55 tons and 6/9 speed is the way to go. Mostly because if you assume:

- Clan tech
    - roughly max armor (rounded to nearest half-ton)
    - given XL engine
    - EndoSteel frame
    - 6/9 speed

50 tonners will have 21.5 tons of podspace, while 55 and 60 are half a ton less. Of course, at 60 jump jets double in weight, so if you want something truly mobile 50-55 tons is the way to go, while if you just want some big and beefy, 60 tons will do.

Looks like the Battle Cobra, Pouncer, and Stormcrow are all in there. I missed the first two because I started at 55 and skipped the Stormcrow because its ugly. By the time I'd gotten through all the 45-tonners I was like "bah!" and came here to complain instead.

The problem with faster is it costs too much weight. The problem with slower is it's ... well, slower!

I mean, you say that.

But Novas, Huntsmans (Huntsmen?), Black Lanners, and Mongrels all look like they'd be pretty decent in TT. In MWO, at least, the Huntsman is baller af, and Novas can be pretty fierce (well...heavy emphasis on the "can" part).

edited October 2019

I mean, you say that.

But Novas, Huntsmans (Huntsmen?), Black Lanners, and Mongrels all look like they'd be pretty decent in TT. In MWO, at least, the Huntsman is baller af, and Novas can be pretty fierce (well...heavy emphasis on the "can" part).

I guess for me it's about highlighting every aspect of Clan tech superiority. Lots of medium IS 'mechs go 5/8, and carry decent weaponry. Clan 'mechs can carry more weapons and go faster, so I feel like that should be emphasized to really give the finger to the IS.

Tox on
    Ah well. My Enforcer, Vindicator & Urbie trinity isn't working out so hot anymore. For whatever reason it just can't seem to put the pain on early enemy lances like my old double PPC Vindicator/Panther core used to.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Ah well. My Enforcer, Vindicator & Urbie trinity isn't working out so hot anymore. For whatever reason it just can't seem to put the pain on early enemy lances like my old double PPC Vindicator/Panther core used to.

Early pilots can struggle with an AC dependent lineup before you get some points in Guts and mitigate the retire penalties. Maybe that's a factor?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    WOO!!! IT IS OOSIK NIGHT! I'll be dropping in hot tonight with my new rig. Come join me in stompy bot goodness.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Patching and soon will be launching for Oosik Night.

@Erlkönig @Nobody @Elvenshae @Maijinamuro

oosik_betsuni.png