As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A thread about our good friend Kaplar

2»

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Thinking of @Kaplar and making a silly breakfast in memory of him.

Toaster waffles with chocolate chips and cookie butter, and some pretzel sticks and peanut butter on the side. Big glass of milk to go with it all.

VXYt6qtl.jpg
    Love you, little brother.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I want to awesome that, but it feels awkward since it's about a deceased forumer...

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Follow your heart. Embrace the good and the memories. No judgements here. <3

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    What's cookie butter?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    What's cookie butter?

It's kind of like peanut butter, but made from cookies rather than peanuts. In particular, speculoos/Biscoff cookies. Use it similarly to Nutella.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookie_butter

Somebody dropped off a big tray of finger sandwiches at my parents' house. He loved those. We always raided the trays at parties. Ham and turkey only. Fuck that roast beef noise.

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Some years back, @Retaba, I believe, won a PA charity auction for an online tabletop campaign (13th Age) run by @Anialos. They needed some peeps to play with, so some of the old CF phalla crew including @jdarksun, myself, Erin, and Kaplar were invited to participate. I roll a tank. The campaign didn't finish, but we got a few dozen sessions in. I don't remember many details about the campaign other than it being a really good time and Retaba once almost blowing us all up by considering casting fireball in a methane-filled sewer.

Fast forward to today and Smof has an XCOM 2 Let's Play rolling. I get a character named after me and keep on brand by requesting a shotgun the heaviest armor available. Kaplar makes a quick comment referencing that's how I roll. The campaign ended years ago, but they remembered.

I'm sorry, Erin. Kaplar was a fantastic person.

So, I did some digging and found a thing. Davor's One Unique Thing was to be the only creature to have his soul rejected by the Lich King and placed back into his body. He also had a magical sword inhabited by the soul of a crusader. My belief is that Kaplar is out there somewhere in this world peeking in from some mundane object, encouraging others to do good.
    I have the basic character sheets for the whole party still if any of you want them.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    What's cookie butter?

It's kind of like peanut butter, but made from cookies rather than peanuts. In particular, speculoos/Biscoff cookies. Use it similarly to Nutella.

I now own a jar. And I picked up some waffles to try it out with, although I have no clue what to do with it past that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I always find it difficult to find the right words to express how I feel when it comes to things like this.

I'm glad that I had the opportunity to interact with him as much as I did, and yet I'm sad that I couldn't have made more memories with him.

Both on the forums and recording the podcast, he was always a welcome soul.

DarkPrimus on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    We need to buy Erin a waffle iron that puts Oglaf Guy on the waffles.

YL9WnCY.png
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Oh no, I am so sorry :(

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Oh Erin, I’ve been traveling and just saw this. I don’t have words, and I know all too well how meaningless they can sound but I’ll share in the chorus of condolences. Life is truly, deeply unfair in how it takes others out of this world. By all accounts and my own experiences your brother was a wonderful person and an amazing brother. For what it’s worth I have an unfortunate amount of experience in dealing with untimely loss and if you ever want to talk, or ramble, or just scream at me on it all, my door is open.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I have been left in a grim mood, and have been avoiding posting here, but I think silence would be a disservice.
    More than amazing food journeys, Kaplar was a collective friend we've experienced the gamut of life, jobs, games, and points of uncertainty with.

I don't have the words, beyond that we will miss them.

VayBJ4e.png
    What's cookie butter?

I now own a jar. And I picked up some waffles to try it out with, although I have no clue what to do with it past that.

Sliced apples are good. Or on toast. Or with some dark chocolate

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm so sorry, Erin.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    What's cookie butter?

Sliced Granny Smith apples are SO GOOD in a toasted sandwich. Do you have a jaffle maker?

What's cookie butter?

Sliced Granny Smith apples are SO GOOD in a toasted sandwich. Do you have a jaffle maker?

No clue what that is!

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    What's cookie butter?

No clue what that is!

it's like a panini press type deal, but it also seals the edges of the sammich so you keep all your ooey gooey goodness inside the little pouch of food.

Huh. He would have used the hell out of that for some grilled cheeses.

I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Bluh. I feel wrung out and just... Sore? I don't know. Something. Hurts.

We used to not be allowed to play on the same team for a lot of competitive board games (pictionary, taboo, etc) because we could basically finish each other's sentences without any difficulty.

He was the kind of person you could go months without seeing and he'd be able to pick up a conversation like you never missed a beat. He could reference stuff from way back and had such an easy way with people.

He was adventurous and loved food and was looking forward to so many things in the future.

The world isn't fair and it's shittier now without him in it.

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Fuck, I'm so sorry Erin. Many internet-hugs for you and those close to you.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Oh, Erin, all my love flying halfway around the world to you and yours.

I didn't even know he was your brother until he started updating us in the QUILTBAG thread about your surgery, and it was instantly clear how huge his love and support for you was. This is a tremendous loss, I am so sorry.

db1hi0r16hmv.png
    kczwdal3qdz6.png
    dwfdq97vzmx8.png
    nmq6hve95vxn.png

Fuck, it still doesn't seem real that he's gone. I keep expecting a goofy message on Hangouts or a silly or encouraging post here, or something.

I want this to all be some AWFUL joke

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I'm really sorry for your loss. My condolences. :(

https://www.gardenofmemoriesmetairie.com/tributes/Robert-Castillo

If anyone wants to leave a message or send flowers or anything, feel free.

Thank y'all for giving me a place to grieve and vent. This community and the kind people in it are more appreciated than I can put into words.
    <3

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I hadn't seen this until today

Christ

I'm so sorry for your loss, and the loss to this community, we will all miss him.

5zl8r3eu6ah6.jpg

p5ivkgaudsoy.jpg

We laid him to rest today. Got to see a lot of people who loved him very much, and say goodbye properly.

Today is really hard. Thank all of you for the kind words and sympathy. I told his wife that he was liked and appreciated here and that he'd be missed.

I'm gonna miss him so goddamn much.

💔

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I'm gonna miss him so goddamn much.

💔

Us too.

Thanks for sharing this.

Commander Zoom on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I know I am very late, but I just heard about this and I feel like I need to tell you that Kaplar made an impact on me with how good of a person he was on these forums. There are a few names that always stand out to me as trying to legitimately make the world a better place by being an example of goodness and kindness and he was one of them. Whenever I saw Kaplar's avatar, I knew the post was worth reading. I can only imagine how good of an impact he made on the people around him in real life.

I'm sorry for your family's loss.

ObiFett on
    Thanks, Obi. And all of y'all.
    It means a lot to know that he was appreciated and accepted and cared about in the community that HE cared about so much.
    It's kind of funny the random things that will bring him back into my mind and make me chuckle or cry or just say something out loud, hoping he can hear it somehow.
    Life is weird. Death is unfair.

Hug the people you care about as often and for as long as you can.

Love y'all.

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I also missed this thread when it was posted. I am truly sorry for your loss, Erin.

I did not know Kaplan well, but I do know our community is worse off then it was a couple months ago.