As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I think Bill is the only modern companion to compete with Donna for my favorite

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Bill is probably the fastest I've ever warmed up to a new companion, she's fantastic right from the off. With the second being Graham which is ridiculous considering he had a starting point of being Bradley Walsh

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Witness puzzles with coloured electrical cables/switch boxes in that there newfangled VR game:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8OSltZ33mA

I like the silhouette cast by the Sonic Screwdriver when you're using it as a torch. Nice little detail.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    This is from the official Doctor Who YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vk6wtVigew

Well okay then.

i am so pumped for this

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I was honestly shocked how good Graham was. I was really dreading what the old white guy was gonna bring to the table

Also I couldn't deal with Nardole because I find Matt Lucas very off-putting

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Was mostly shocked Series 11 didn't
    have Graham killed off at the end. Felt like it was getting signalled pretty hard, was surprised (and happy!) it didn't go that way.

...then again, I was also surprised the final episode didn't end up looping back to The Ghost Monument. Was fairly sure that'd be the big weighty decision for the finale, the Doctor ends up causing Desolation and that's the reason her TARDIS got stuck there earlier, but non, is all fine, don't worry about it!

Oh brilliant
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Cyvros wrote: »

Well okay then.

i am so pumped for this

I am... ambivalent. But I'll give it a shot, I already know from the surviving audio that it's got a decent script so it's gotta be better than Devious.

Butler on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »

Well okay then.

i am so pumped for this

I am... ambivalent. But I'll give it a shot, I already know from the surviving audio that it's got a decent script so it's gotta be better than Devious.

that is
    a low bar to clear

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Who is playing the Doctor?

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

No one. It's an episode that's 100% Doctor-n-crew free.

Owenashi wrote: »

No one. It's an episode that's 100% Doctor-n-crew free.

What? I didn't know one existed.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Me either. It's likely the first 'Doctor-lite' episode of the show ever, though with absolutely no Doctor rather then them showing up for just a couple of minutes or so.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    And now, Nyssa and Tegan teach us how to make kippers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeA8L1y6fQM

There is really nothing else on YouTube quite like the way the official Doctor Who channel gets when things are quiet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-AjWi6j1fE

Edge of Time drops tomorrow! It will be available on PlayStation VR, Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest, HTC Vive and HTC Vive Cosmos.

Does... anyone have any of those?

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Ooh, I have PSVR. :)

Edit: Aaand bought. I'll try and post some impressions when I get the time to play it. :)

Zilla360 on
    Script writers announced for Season 12!

New writers:

- Nina Metivier
    - Maxine Alderton
    - Charlene James

Returning writers:

- Vinay Patel (Demons of The Punjab)
    - Ed Hime (It Takes You Away)
    - Pete McTighe (Kerblam!)

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Well those were probably the best episodes of S11, though Kerblam! felt weirdly neutered by the end.

I was very taken with The Tsuranga Conundrum too. I get the impression it was fairly disliked, but I dunno. Cute lil' goblin critter, no TARDIS, cool problem IMO.

But yeh, Demons of the Punjab and It Takes You Away were the strongest episodes for sure.

Oh brilliant
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I tend to find the "whoops we don't have a budget this week so we're trapped on another spaceship made entirely of corridors" episodes a bit boring

Tsuranga additionally suffered from none of the cast really being able to sell looking at/interacting with things that weren't there

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Besides having the most physically painful dialogue of season, Tsarunga gets 0/10 for the Doctor fawning over a god damn General. Yeah I know the Doctor's distaste for soldiers and weapons has varied over the years, but "I always wanted to meet you, it was so sick when you won all those battles brah" is just, COME ON. Especially since literally the previous episode she was saying "No direct killing, ever, even if you have to torture to death through inaction don't pull that fucking trigger!" Although my headcanon is that the government just pumped in some poison gas the next day because the Doctor probably isn't going to remember to double check.

Coinage on
    I mean, the episode before that the Doctor was cool with Ryan second degree murdering the Time Racist...

Consistency isn't Chibnall's strong point, apparently.

Oh brilliant
    I’m starting to think maybe we lucked out with two consecutive galaxy-brain giga-nerds in Davies and Moffat. Their problems, such as they were, were with style more than ability or enthusiasm. Last season it felt like Chibnall was in over his head.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I would argue that nothing is Chibnall's strong point, but...

I assume the beeb picked him cause Broadchurch was very good. His entire Doctor Who library was dogbuns.

Personally, I think Jamie Mathieson should get a go as the showrunner. His DW credits range from Very Good to Fucking Outstanding.

Oh brilliant
    I miss those surprises that Who used to have.

Oh hey, the TARDIS desktop got a little redesign for the new series. It's not much, but it looks a lot better IMO
    1.png

Oh brilliant
    Were the stairs (at the back) leading to a door there before? I'm guessing the less-blurry image on the right is the new design?
    It's better apart from the loss of the Gallifreyan glyphs on the base, I really like those.

More glowing purple roundels on everything! :)

Changes
    - staircase is indeed new! Looks like they're made of hexagons, natch.

- new roof and a stalactite above the time rotor (I thought this was always there, but apparently not?)

- crystal pillars have a new base, and lit up roundels on em.

- floor lights are off, maybe they're changing em to purple.

- ramp and the removed Gallifreyan symbols (I suspect this is temporary, they just covered up the symbols during the renovation, and the ramp is not part of the new set)

Oh brilliant
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Still not the hugest fan of the new TARDIS
    with the pillars where they are, the whole thing is just a bit claustrophobic. Especially with three companions, when they did shots inside the TARDIS it always felt so small

I like to think the TARIDS has those crystals because it sucked up minerals from sitting on that rock.

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Hey I just recently caught up and in my opinion, the strongest episodes of season 1 were Demons of the Punjab, It Takes You Away and the Ghost Monument.

Not hearing a whole lot about that last one but I thought the hook was pretty good? Even though it had the same extreme deus ex machina resolution problem almost every recent episode has had.

And Kerblam! is a really good 40 minutes followed by the most dumbass, shot-in-the-foot how could you undermine your own allegory this bad screwup ending I've ever seen and I'm kinda still mad about it.

sig.gif
    Coinage wrote: »
    I would argue that nothing is Chibnall's strong point, but...

I mean, that's what saves the day in most of his episodes

sig.gif
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Changes
    - staircase is indeed new! Looks like they're made of hexagons, natch.

- new roof and a stalactite above the time rotor (I thought this was always there, but apparently not?)

- crystal pillars have a new base, and lit up roundels on em.

- floor lights are off, maybe they're changing em to purple.

- ramp and the removed Gallifreyan symbols (I suspect this is temporary, they just covered up the symbols during the renovation, and the ramp is not part of the new set)
    If you take just the middle circle part, that is about the size of the classic Tardis interiors. They were always really small.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I like the changes a good bit! Kinda minor but effective. Though I’m not the biggest fan of the way the crystals bend still

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    yeah, still too facehugger for my tastes but getting there

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    The weird dimension episode was good.

The weird dimension episode was good.

Yeah that's It Takes You Away. Certified One of the Good Jodie Whittaker Ones.

sig.gif
    edited November 2019
    Oh Rosa was also pretty good.

Y'know, the season wasn't that bad. Arachnids in the UK and the Tsuranga Conundrum were the only real stinkers, but the main reason why it sticks out as mediocre is probably that the premiere, finale AND Resolution were all pretty middling.

...I guess Witchfinders was also pretty bad.

SimBen on
    sig.gif