As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What is your favorite word?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Other
    that shit does not like being canned

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Other
    dog

VayBJ4e.png
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Yesterday’s guardian had ‘Eustachian tube’ as an answer and now I’m just tired.

what was the clue tho
    a hit tune, almost because somehow it connects to the listener

(it's an anagram, but a slightly ropey one).

i hate this

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Other
    Thistle, thatle

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Other
    chicanery is a good word

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Verisimilitude
    I like words that are what they mean.

Awkward is pretty awkward to write.

Esoteric always seemed kind of esoteric (at least at a lower education level).

Cutesy somehow feels cutesy.

Polysyllabic has a whopping five syllables.

Sesquipedalian literally means "a long word" (I had to cheat and look this one up, but I knew I'd heard it before).

Grandiloquent? It certainly is.

Obfuscation definitely doesn't seem clear or straightforward.

Oblong feels kind of round and wobbly.

I also like words that technically aren't onomatopoeias but "feel" like it. Round feels round, soft feels soft, sharp feels sharp, sludge and mud feel gross and sloppy, slow feels like it takes a while to say, quick comes out fast, etc. etc. etc. (I just learned these are called phonesthemes - neat!)

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Other
    Phonoaesthetics are a thing.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Verisimilitude
    I've always been vaguely irked that "palindrome" isn't one.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Other
    Jedoc wrote: »

How about “monosyllabic”? It has 5.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Poop
    Slurp

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I really like the word, "mana"

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Petrichor

I was about to say the same thing.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Other
    I like sanguine, it’s got a lot of fun meanings and is fun to say.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

I feel it's a bit cruel that "lisp" has an S in it

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of the word dink. It's insulting but still playful and not hurtful sounding.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Other
    I'm a big fan of the word dink. It's insulting but still playful and not hurtful sounding.

Also used to describe professional couples who don't have children - Double Income No Kids.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Moist

Also used to describe professional couples who don't have children - Double Income No Kids.

#relationshipgoals

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Other
    bowen wrote: »

#relationshipgoals

Read my self-help book entitled "How to own multiple investment properties, a nice yacht, and a collection of classic motorcycles" for more on the subject.

Moist

#relationshipgoals

Read my self-help book entitled "How to own multiple investment properties, a nice yacht, and a collection of classic motorcycles" for more on the subject.

how will I do that if I'm eating all this avocado toast

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Other

#relationshipgoals

how will I do that if I'm eating all this avocado toast

Easy - you just gotta marry someone else also with a moderate-level white-collar income and live together. Then you can have SO MANY avocados, like you don't even know!

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We're "Double Income, Lottsa Debt, One Son." What does that make us?

Other

Very expensive

edited October 2019
    Moist
    We're "Double Income, Lottsa Debt, One Son." What does that make us?

poor broke

changed it, poor sounded really mean for some reason

bowen on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dong
    Double income. 3 kids. Drowning in debt.

The American dream!

Mask was a great cartoon

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dong
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Mask was a great cartoon

I believe this too. But I have never gone back to watch it and I just think I never will.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Other
    Have we yet discussed

Alliteration's almost alarming allure.

Xaquin wrote: »
    Mask was a great cartoon

I believe this too. But I have never gone back to watch it and I just think I never will.

wise decision

Thundercats was a great cartoon

until I watched it again and learned that it was not a great cartoon

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    My favorite word has always been "snacks."

There's something about that s-n combo that just feels really pleasant to say, and also seems like a more rare sound in general. Then you add the crisp bite of the k, and end the word with a final s for a really tasty finale.

And, you know, it means food, often lots of it, in bite-size portions, and probably not all that great for you. Top tier word, would vocalize again.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    prebendate (third-person singular simple present prebendates, present participle prebendating, simple past and past participle prebendated)

(obsolete) To invest with the office of prebendary; to present to a prebend.

Oh come on

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Other
    prebendate (third-person singular simple present prebendates, present participle prebendating, simple past and past participle prebendated)

(obsolete) To invest with the office of prebendary; to present to a prebend.

Oh come on

for fuck's sake.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Other

Phonetic

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    The fucks a prebend

Other
    Penury

Yarmulke

Reticence

Fritter

Ganymede

Languid

Compliance

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hey Ganymede is someone's name that hardly counts

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Moist
    The fucks a prebend

Not much what’s a prebend with you

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Moist
    the portion of the revenues of a cathedral or collegiate church formerly granted to a canon or member of the chapter as his stipend.

Oh ok that clears things up I see why it’s largely out of use.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    edited October 2019
    Other
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Hey Ganymede is someone's name that hardly counts

ganymai- to please. medomai - to plan

Ganymede- meant to please.

All names are words, but this is less obvious in English due to the source of most English words being other languages.

sarukun on