As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Bad (old) news:

In 1492, Spain (est. 1479) decided to kick out all Jews (and Muslims) who wouldn't convert to Christianity. This ended more than 1500 years of Jewish presence on the Iberian Peninsula, and 800 years of Muslim presence.

The Most Catholic Majesties Isabella and Ferdinand of Spain also established (in a move no one expected) the Spanish Inquisition to find out if the alleged converts were secretly still practicing their forbidden faiths.

Some 200,000 Jews converted. 100,000 Jews were expelled, becoming Sephardic Jews. Today, there are about 3.5 million descendants of the expelled Jews.

Good (new) news:

In 2014 the Spanish government decided that any descendants of the expelled Jews could gain Spanish citizenship without rescinding their existing citizenships by applying. Applicants did not have to be practicing.

The deadline was last Thursday, and 130,000 Jews have applied. Of the applicats, 20,000 are from Mexico, 15,000 from Venezuela, and 14,000 fra Colombia. 3000 are Israeli Jews.

Story via Norwegian public broadcaster NRK (in Norwegian).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

His ruling on weed use is going to take ages

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    In bad news gone right of a more serious nature, former DPD officer Amber Guyger was found guilty of murder in the killing of Botham Jean. This was a major case on the radar of a lot of civil rights activists, and there was worry that the jury would let her off or go light, especially after the judge allowed her to use a castle defense even though the killing was in Jean's apartment.

In follow-up, The Onion found the perfect "ha ha only I'm going to shiver in extential dread now" take:

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The judge ruled that stand your ground was a valid defense, which is scary enough in and of itself. Thankfully the jury said, "Holy fuck what the fucking fuck seriously!?" to the defense.

But, seriously, as bad as "stand your ground" is, it should never apply when you're on the victim's ground.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    The judge ruled that stand your ground was a valid defense, which is scary enough in and of itself. Thankfully the jury said, "Holy fuck what the fucking fuck seriously!?" to the defense.

But, seriously, as bad as "stand your ground" is, it should never apply when you're on the victim's ground.

He most likely did so to remove that from any appeal.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

He most likely did so to remove that from any appeal.

Yes. Texas has laws about mistaken facts. As she was mistaken about fact that it was her apartment, castle doctrine applied, even if it was bullshit. If he'd not instructed the jury as such the case could have been thrown out or appealed on that basis.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    And she received ten years, which was apparently double the minimum and arguably a substantial sentence if you accept that this was the result of mistaken facts.

I think both the conviction itself and a sentence well above the minimum sends the message that Jean’s life mattered, while not going overboard in favor of retribution.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Its too bad that police arent taught more de-escalating measures so that lives arent lost when someone is over tired or confused.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Its too bad that police arent taught more de-escalating measures so that lives arent lost when someone is over tired or confused.

Well she was the one who was "confused" son that wouldn't have helped much

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    And she received ten years, which was apparently double the minimum and arguably a substantial sentence if you accept that this was the result of mistaken facts.

I think both the conviction itself and a sentence well above the minimum sends the message that Jean’s life mattered, while not going overboard in favor of retribution.

She’ll be eligible for parole after 5 and I’d be dead shocked if she wasn’t let out early. Can any lawyers here tell me if it is ever appropriate for a judge to hug a convicted defendant?

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Well she was the one who was "confused" son that wouldn't have helped much

Mcbane.jpg

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    LoisLane wrote: »

She’ll be eligible for parole after 5 and I’d be dead shocked if she wasn’t let out early. Can any lawyers here tell me if it is ever appropriate for a judge to hug a convicted defendant?

I heard about the brother of the victim hugging the defendant. Were there more hugs going around?

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    LoisLane wrote: »

I heard about the brother of the victim hugging the defendant. Were there more hugs going around?

The judge went and hugged the defendant right after the conviction.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    If I look at a stoplight and mistakenly see it as green when it is red, and then I proceed to plow through the stoplight and kill a family in a van, I will almost certainly get more than 10 years in jail.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    If I look at a stoplight and mistakenly see it as green when it is red, and then I proceed to plow through the stoplight and kill a family in a van, I will almost certainly get more than 10 years in jail.

Yes, but you're not a cop and didn't use a Smith & Wesson Model Freedom that shoots liberty bullets. Big difference.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, you gotta have a badge that says you're a member of a government organization that has gone without sufficient oversight for decades and then screams its head off that oversight puts cops at risk while cops are repeatedly getting caught intimidating citizens, planting evidence, and committing outright fucking murder.

You may not get a total get-out-of-jail-free card for toeing that thin blue line (and you had better damned toe the line, or else they strangle you with it for their own protection), but you definitely aren't going to get treated like a regular criminal if you ever manage to do something so blatantly illegal they can't cover it up.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

Yes, but you're not a cop and didn't use a Smith & Wesson Model Freedom that shoots liberty bullets. Big difference.

Also you definitely werent blitzed out of your mind and had your cop buddies cover it up.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Also you definitely wetrnt blitzed out of your mind and had your cop buddies cover it up.

But you did save a bunch of money on your car insurance.

• Options
    Some hairdos are hairdonts. This is an especially turgid example of such. (Potentially NSFW for pictures of evocative hairstyle.)

• Options
    edited October 2019

Will you? Where do you live?

First, she killed a single person. So one count. In California, a DUI Vehicular Manslaughter with Gross Negligence...the gravest form, basically street racing while drunk...carries a *max* of sixteen. Absent priors, you won’t get the max. The minimum charge for a vehicular manslaughter is a misdemeanor, and you would likely get no time at all for that.

In Texas, where this occurred, the gravest form of vehicular manslaughter carries a 2-20 year sentence, which is a lesser charge and sentence than the 5-99 she was facing. The minimum charge is also a misdemeanor, IIRC.

People grossly overestimate the harshness of sentence for accidental homicides. Often based on very small data sets (a story they heard, maybe two, often with the worst possible fact set against the accused). Unless you run over a toddler while drunk with a liquor bottle still in hand while street racing on a license that is suspended for previously street racing while drunk, you probably won’t get more than ten years for a vehicular manslaughter across most of the US.

A fairly normal fact set: man kills a baby (in another car) because he was texting and driving. Sentence: three years.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/3-year-sentence-in-fatal-kitsap-texting-crash/

Edit: I’m aware that this shooting was ruled a murder, rather than an accident, due to the intent to fire the gun and kill. But it was still based on mistaken facts leading to unjustified self defense, so skews closer to an accidental killing than malicious murder. And you specifically chose to compare it to vehicular manslaughter, so I thought exploring that crime was relevant.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Some hairdos are hairdonts. This is an especially turgid example of such. (Potentially NSFW for pictures of evocative hairstyle.)

Read the headline. Went in skeptical.

Yeah that’s a big ol’ dick.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

And a rather veiny one at that. Or one that has a Jacob's Ladder.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Remarkably symmetrical though.

• Options

Wait. They're not supposed to have a Jacob's ladder? I need to call my doctor.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Wait. They're not supposed to have a Jacob's ladder? I need to call my doctor.

Fresh from the factory, no. That's very much an after market modification.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Wendy's has released a new tabletop RPG.

Yes, that Wendy's.
    The nation of Freshtovia has been the lone beacon of hope in the land of Beef’s Keep for decades. However, the Ice Jester and his rogues gallery of frozen fiends threaten Queen Wendy’s reign of prosperity. Prepare your heroes for adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imlFxSr6oqw

I just...

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Ya at first my eyes were just focusing on the gap in the back and I was like, really internet? then my eyes pulled back and saw the whole this and ya , that's a dick.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    What's with these random fast-food restaurants putting out random games....?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

It puts their names in the news and in peoples' mouths.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

As long as they don't put their food in my mouth. Yuck.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Also comparatively cheap compared to the traditional ad channels. They're tossing some fraction of a percent of their advertising budget at some random indy developer/designer and hoping to go viral.

Which, ya know, we just were all talking about it so...

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'm still "what?" at it being a tabletop RPG, and I love Tabletop games, I just , how did they get to that point.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'm still "what?" at it being a tabletop RPG, and I love Tabletop games, I just , how did they get to that point.

Whatever intern Wendy's gave their twitter to had ridiculous success and probably has a fair amount of latitude. They were one of the original snarky brands on twitter who were willing to say things that traditional brand management wouldn't dream of doing. (I don't doubt it wasn't actually an intern and it was intentional but they put on a good show.)

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    At least they didn't go the dating sim route.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Whatever intern Wendy's gave their twitter to had ridiculous success and probably has a fair amount of latitude. They were one of the original snarky brands on twitter who were willing to say things that traditional brand management wouldn't dream of doing. (I don't doubt it wasn't actually an intern and it was intentional but they put on a good show.)

Kind of like how Arby's got a ton of Twitter and Facebook shares by just occasionally posting a photo of some papercraft anime or video game thing and with maybe a vaguely Arby's related pun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    The bacon of hope was right there and they didn't go for it.

For shame

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    If you look at the world map, there are city locations that signify content for future adventures:
    The Twin Cities of Carl.
    Lake John Silver
    Temple of Panda
    The Box

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    That sounds like a lot more effort compared what I watched of a lets play of the KFC game.

This discussion has been closed.