As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The greatest film of all [chat]

wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated mediaRegistered User regular
edited October 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
We've determined the greatest video game of all time.

Now it's time to ask: what is the greatest film of all time?

wandering on

The greatest film of all [chat] 70 votes

An animated musical, like Beaty and the Beast of Pinocchio
10%
ElldrenMarathonMimmysticjuicerEddyOrcadoomybear 7 votes
A classic musical, like Sound of Music or Singin' in the Rain
11%
DarkPrimuselectricitylikesmeVishNubBogartronyaspool32cB557Tenzytile 8 votes
A musical with a bite, like Little Shop of Horrors or Sweeney Todd
15%
redxTcheldorMatevJebusUDBloodySlothTOGSoliddavidsdurions21stCenturydaveNYCNobeardIlpala 11 votes
A stealth musical, like O Brother Where Art Thou? or A Hard Day's Night
27%
tynicDoodmannRchanenElement Briansilence1186TTODewbackAnarchy Rules!Crimson KingRhesus PositiveLoserForHireXjungleroomxArchAtomikaSparvyAuralynxknitdanKanaBSoBOrphane 19 votes
A problematic but pioneering queer musical, like the Rocky Horror Picture Show or Hedwig
15%
Magic PinkElendilFeralXaquinFuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudwanderingTehSpectreBrodyBurnageAlazullSleep 11 votes
Another type of musical not listed here
20%
JazzGarthorP10ArbitraryDescriptorAiouaDesktop HippieHahnsoo1KruitePowerpuppiesJuliuszepherinRavenhpltc24discriderwafflesmagee 14 votes

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Jeremy Renner is in none of these

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    I'm partial to the spoken-word musicals. Like Ghostbusters.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Greatest movie? Untitled Goose Game. Which i'm gonna stream more of. Also I have a dedicated !honk button in my chat so that's pretty fun. (Also which of those is Les Mis? A classic?)

twitch.tv/sniperguygaming

beacons:

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    A problematic but pioneering queer musical, like the Rocky Horror Picture Show or Hedwig
    who can forget the classic Beaty and the Beast

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    But... I cannot pick all of them.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    d2souo3of1br.png

Gods of Egypt (2016)

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Big egyptology nerds will recognize that as Ra

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    wandering wrote: »
    who can forget the classic Beaty and the Beast

Warren Beatty’s unsuccessful attempt at playing an actual cartoon after playing “Dick Tracy”

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They cast Geoffrey Rush as Ra?

... I don't know why of all the old white guys to pick that one strikes me as particularly weird, but it does.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Chat I bought a 200 dollar foot massager

I'd regret it but I dunno I sat down and my feet hurt and I stood up and they didn't, so

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I didn't realize they did a special for Yamachan being maried to Aoi Yu.

Also I forget Torii-chan is not married in fact I think single.

Torii-chan,一緒にランチへ行かないか?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

He performed "We Didn't Start the Fire" on Jimmy Fallon with other Avengers: Endgame cast members in a sequence with the MCU logo and trademarks

Therefore

Avengers: Endgame is classified as a Stealth Musical

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Feral wrote: »

He performed "We Didn't Start the Fire" on Jimmy Fallon with other Avengers: Endgame cast members in a sequence with the MCU logo and trademarks

Therefore

Avengers: Endgame is classified as a Stealth Musical

It checks out boys

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    They cast Geoffrey Rush as Ra?

... I don't know why of all the old white guys to pick that one strikes me as particularly weird, but it does.

Geoffrey Rahsh

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I don't know who was asking about stuff to do in Albuquerque
    I will say it's not very nice here. But Blake's Aka Lottaburger is a great place for a green chili burger {you have to ask for it to be placed on} Little Anita's is a local fast food Mexican place that is good.
    Other than that I don't know what they will be doing so I can help with what I can

Also which of those is Les Mis
    hmm I would probably put that in the other category

Perhaps there should've been a "musical from the 70s or later" category

It's almost 40 years old, it can qualify as a classic.

I did, at least, spell Pinocchio correctly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD78dtBhwtw

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    The non musical. Movies with an incredible soundtrack, such as Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians of the Galaxy 2

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Casablanca has As Time Goes By and duelling patriotism, so it counts as a musical and is therefore best musical

Also best romance and best war film

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]

Also fulfills the “SO many white people” rule of thumb.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    https://youtu.be/JNlnQwHWSYw

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I am a man
    of constant
    sorrow

Bless your heart.
    The non musical. Movies with an incredible soundtrack, such as Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Hackers

Hackers

Reservoir Dogs

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    musicals more like i personally have a hard time suspending my disbelief for non-diegetic soliloquies and i'm not too big into show tunes so i've never gotten a lot of value out of a musical other than like be prepared from the lion king

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
    edited October 2019
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

the new Masterpiece Theatre series has some people of color and certain sectors of the internet shed as many delicious tears as you would expect

7d2uasr9ufy9.jpg
    (Javert on right)

j8ivo6cg3jza.jpg
    (Gavroche)

wandering on
    musicals more like i personally have a hard time suspending my disbelief for non-diegetic soliloquies and i'm not too big into show tunes so i've never gotten a lot of value out of a musical other than like be prepared from the lion king

God the new version of Lion King just fucked Be Prepared over

As a person who has watched Casablanca: it's good popcorn flick!

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    A god damn Barca came through the alps and caught me pants down in my Etruria game. I don’t know if the code is doped or if this was just the algorithm(tm) at work. The war was for Corsica, what was he doing up there?

Point taken though I can’t fight them, they can have the island. SEE IF I CARE!!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

the new Masterpiece Theatre series has some people of color and certain sectors of the internet shed as many delicious tears as you would expect

7d2uasr9ufy9.jpg
    (Javert on right)

j8ivo6cg3jza.jpg
    (Gavroche)

Is that McNulty on the left? Whoever cast him as Max Payne when he was the right age for it was absolutely on the money.

Ive seen a lot of productions of les mis but oddly one of the best was a high school production.

Granted it was one of those ludicrously wealth mega schools but still.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    MULAN SHOULD BE AN EXAMPLE

Those musical soliloquies are definitely diegetic around me. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    As a person who has watched Casablanca: it's good popcorn flick!
    it's got witty repartee, Nazi fightin', a moving musical number, bittersweet romance, astonishingly charismatic and pretty movie stars, and an ambiguously bisexual frenchman

God the new version of Lion King just fucked Be Prepared over

Glad that it's a Thing I Haven't Watched And Will Never Watch Or Even Acknowledge™

edited October 2019
    does Whisper of the Heart repeat Country Roads enough for it to count as a musical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ispeh2bW1AQ

wandering on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Rome is still a threat, but less of a threat. I can see the issue now is that in preventing Rome to get powerful there is nobody to poke Carthage.

PSN: Honkalot
    One of my best friends lives in the UK. I live in Ireland. We have a tradition of spending every Halloween chatting away to each other online while watching a selection of cartoons and movies. Some change year by year, but every year without fail we will watch It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, Ghostbusters and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

In fact we tend to do Rocky twice, as we have the movie and also a really great stage production recorded live that includes a bunch of guest narrators including Stephen Fry, Anthony Stewart Head and Mel Giedroyc.

Ive seen a lot of productions of les mis but oddly one of the best was a high school production.

Granted it was one of those ludicrously wealth mega schools but still.
    Best production of Little Shop of Horrors I've seen was a community theatre production, goosebumps the whole way through

I've also seen it on Broadway and it was garbage by comparison

This discussion has been closed.