As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I've been able to tune in for 15 minutes here and there throughout the day and relied on social media for the rest of my updates. Actually left it on for the past hour while I walked around the house doing chores and happened to walk in the room while the Ponyta (?) casually strolled across the screen...this is a great way to reveal a new Pokemon. I am glad they're changing it up this time around!

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    9se2knfcosfo.png

Decent picture finally.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Oh my god i want it.

I can't wait until they give us info on how shiny hunting works. I can't wait to do another shiny quest.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Its ok. I feel like its a tad redundant given the 5 other horse Pokemon but the UK demands a unicorn

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Popped on for the end of the stream and saw two live! The mane definitely lights up, colourful though not exactly rainbow.

iz9xuhfbubfx.png

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    The Ponyta on the right... doesn't have a tail?

Also, when the stream ended, just as the "camera" turned off, you could hear hoof sounds and Rapidash's cry.

It feels like "technical glitch you should ignore" but at the same time I don't know what kind of technical glitch would explain it. Maybe someone smarter than me?

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »

It feels like "technical glitch you should ignore" but at the same time I don't know what kind of technical glitch would explain it. Maybe someone smarter than me?

does it need to be something fancy/specific? I'd randomly guess bad rigging but there's a lot of reasons something would fail to animate

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    It seems like they "light up" and probably change color.

Local H Jay on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Popped on for the end of the stream and saw two live! The mane definitely lights up, colourful though not exactly rainbow.

iz9xuhfbubfx.png

...they are going to sell so many plushies of these. So. Many. Made the mistake of showing these to my niece and she wants about six, I imagine.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular

Male/Female difference, maybe?

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    No wonder Golisopod is so skittish.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Going to need more than that to top Sword's appeal.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Version exclusives are pretty much a negligible inconvenience in the modern era. The GTS makes it so easy to get version exclusives that they might as well not even exist.

edited October 2019
    Well, here's a trailer, but it doesn't really reveal any details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LcerbX5Qh8

Edit: oh, it's Psychic after all

Maz- on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Woah, psychic not fairy.

That's a surprise.

Shame I would rather psychic pony but not into other shield stuff.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i'm glad we finally have a reason to pick shield.
    i still want to see galarian rapidash and all the other version exclusives before i make any decisions, though.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Version exclusives are pretty much a negligible inconvenience in the modern era. The GTS makes it so easy to get version exclusives that they might as well not even exist.

Not everyone uses the online features and for plenty of people the act of finding and catching the pokemon they want is a big part of the game.

Hm, I prefer the Sword-exclusive Gym leader, but I definitely want Ponyta on my team, so I'm leaning towards Shield at the moment.

Not everyone uses the online features and for plenty of people the act of finding and catching the pokemon they want is a big part of the game.

I mean, version exclusives have existed since literally the beginning of the franchise. So if a person wants to do it "the old fashioned way" it still requires a trade, whether that trade comes from a friend, rando, or themselves with a 2nd game cartridge. It is and always has been impossible to catch them all by yourself on a single game cartridge.

My point is simply that the hassle of doing it the old fashioned way is largely irrelevant now. If a person chooses to ignore online features, that's on them. The option exists to very easily get the version exclusives that you don't have access to.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Or, depending on the person, the online features can’t be used.

• KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Remember gen 1 where breeding didnt exist so the easiest way to get all starters was to buy a second copy and then play the opening 10 minutes until you could trade and then repeat however many times it took to get all starters for you and your friend/s whose system you were using to trade?
    Good times.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    Remember gen 1 where breeding didnt exist so the easiest way to get all starters was to buy a second copy and then play the opening 10 minutes until you could trade and then repeat however many times it took to get all starters for you and your friend/s whose system you were using to trade?
    Good times.

Originally I highjacked my mom's Gameboy to play Pokemon Red constantly. Eventually she got both me and my brothers Gameboy Pockets and both of us a copy of Blue. I abused that so hard to get all the starters, plus extra for trades for other legendaries.

And then eventually I got Yellow and they gave away all the starters during the campaign and that was one of the first times I realized how much time I wasted doing dumb things in video games.

well unless you buy both games and play both to completion this is a very silly debate

camo_sig2.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

I only use Pokémon I caught myself and only trade Pokémon to fill out the 'Dex, so if I buy Sword I won't be using Princess Celestia Psychic Ponyta.

And I also won't because I'll probably need Nintendo Online to trade.

I mean, version exclusives have existed since literally the beginning of the franchise. So if a person wants to do it "the old fashioned way" it still requires a trade, whether that trade comes from a friend, rando, or themselves with a 2nd game cartridge. It is and always has been impossible to catch them all by yourself on a single game cartridge.

My point is simply that the hassle of doing it the old fashioned way is largely irrelevant now. If a person chooses to ignore online features, that's on them. The option exists to very easily get the version exclusives that you don't have access to.

See you came at this from completely the opposite side. I'm talking about picking the version that has the exclusives you want because they are already there not the ease of which can can acquire the other ones. The fact that those are the ones in the game you get is the important part and that is exactly the same as it has always been. I agree with that part for sure! But that is actually the same thing as I'm saying here.

I just trade for exclusives and then breed them for versions that i own.

Totally getting shield now. I need that ponyta

i'm still way into Sword, Sir'fetched is my dream

camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2019
    I'm getting both, but I'll start with whichever one it is that has the Ghost Gym.

I love the GTS and how easy it makes to get version exclusives. If I go with Sword, I'll just catch extra Sirfetch'ds and trade them for Galar Ponyta, and if I get shield I'll capture extra Galar Ponyta and trade them for Sirfetch'd. And so forth.

To me, it's all the other stuff that matters way more for version exclusive content. Locations, special vendors, things like that.

It's been a long while since I played White/Black, but as I recall those games had the White Forest and Black City. And there was a pretty big difference in those. That makes a much bigger difference to me for which game I'll play or main. I've gotten both versions of every game in the series since Gen 3. And if you count the remakes of Gen 1 and Gen 2, I own both (or all 3) versions of every generation.

Lucascraft on
    edited October 2019
    Yea when I play pokemon my goal isn't to catch them all or anything like that. I only want to catch the pokemon that I want to use so what pokemon are available for me to catch out in the wild is very important. I like catching that special pokemon and then raising them on my team for the entire rest of the game.

People play these games in SO many different ways.

DemonStacey on
    My favorite thing to do is Shiny hunt.

I'm very upset that my shiny collection is going to end up stuck on Ultra moon.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    You'll be able to trade them to Pokemon Home or whatever that new bank thing for Switch is called

And I bet you'll be able trade later with Sword/Shield 2 or Diamond/Pearl remakes or whatever the second set of games for gen 8 will be

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    edited October 2019
    And there was mention of old Pokémon being added to the game in patches.

Prepare for the Swanna service pack. :P

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

I don't think they ever said they were adding them in patches.

They said that omitted Pokemon could be added back in "in the future." That could mean future installments of the franchise. Like 10 years down the road, they might put Remoraid back in the game just for a good laugh.

edited October 2019
    They went out of their way to say that old Pokemon are not going to be in Sword/Shield at launch, or in the future, or ever. the missing Pokemon will return in, say, Pokemon Chicken and Pokemon Egg versions, and there will probably be others missing from that version (as sort of a rotation-ish aspect).

As for version-exclusives, Sun/Moon did throw a wrench in it with the different Rockruff evolutions. It was still fairly easy to get around it with online trading...but definitely more of a hassle than "trade once, breed in the future". I sort of hope that stuff doesn't exist again. Especially the Twilight Lycanroc, which required Moon players to wake up at like 5 AM in order to evolve it (unless they changed their 3DS clock).

TDawg on
    I don't think they ever said they were adding them in patches.

They said that omitted Pokemon could be added back in "in the future." That could mean future installments of the franchise. Like 10 years down the road, they might put Remoraid back in the game just for a good laugh.

My mistake. Thanks.

XBL - ArchSilversmith