As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] An Annihilator shot this thread straight through. [CLOSED]

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    After we finished for the night I went ahead and got myself a RFL-IIC-2, set it up with 6 AC/2s and took it for a spin.

It was brutal, I shall call it MiniViolet

Nobody on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    After we finished for the night I went ahead and got myself a RFL-IIC-2, set it up with 6 AC/2s and took it for a spin.

Is the Rifleman IIc on sale right now? I'm curious about it since the mech looks really neat.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Is the Rifleman IIc on sale right now? I'm curious about it since the mech looks really neat.

Looks like it just opened up for Cbill purchasing this last Tuesday.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Initial cost isn’t bad, around 6.5 mil for most models

Granted, outfitting the isn’t cheap

Darn, well guess I can wait a bit.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    In BT, I managed to snag a Catapult C4. I have no idea how to outfit this thing since my current playstyle doesn't really use a lot of LRM cover anymore (though it certainly could, again, to soften up targets for the ML/MG Grasshopper I'm fielding).

I managed to get a LRM 20, and two LRM 10++ onto it; but I worry the armor is a bit on the low side.

I don't remember if it comes with JJs equipped, so that may be the next step to staple on more armor. Thoughts?

Also the Grasshopper's movement range is a bit lower than I expected. I've taken a bit more of a Reserve/"Come To Me" strategy in recent contracts so that my lance doesn't get all stretched out.

Mugsley on

I think total cost was in the neighborhood of 12 mil for mech, engine, and other bits and pieces

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    In BT, I managed to snag a Catapult C4. I have no idea how to outfit this thing since my current playstyle doesn't really use a lot of LRM cover anymore (though it certainly could, again, to soften up targets for the ML/MG Grasshopper I'm fielding).

I managed to get a LRM 20, and two LRM 10++ onto it; but I worry the armor is a bit on the low side.

I don't remember if it comes with JJs equipped, so that may be the next step to staple on more armor. Thoughts?

Also the Grasshopper's movement range is a bit lower than I expected. I've taken a bit more of a Reserve/"Come To Me" strategy in recent contracts so that my lance doesn't get all stretched out.

Sarna says that it's just the weapon loadout on the C4 got changed, it should still have the JJs in place.
    Maybe strip one or two of the JJs, and the small lasers to get more armor on there, but with the C4 I'd want to keep some of the mobility that jumping provides.

Though, if you're not using LRMs, the best move may be to just put it in storage until you need to pawn some stuff off to make ends meet. It's not going to be anything but a missile boat.
    On the other hand, it might be fun to make it an SRM boat, if you use those.

I was actually considering SRMs at one point. Though a bit low on armor, it would make a nice mobile shotgun.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

Always put your slowest brawler in the front of your lance and while you are moving around outside of combat don't let your faster mechs run past it. Should help a bit for the initial engagement.

I think total cost was in the neighborhood of 12 mil for mech, engine, and other bits and pieces

What is funny, after last night's queues I should just buy it if I want to pilot one.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I was actually considering SRMs at one point. Though a bit low on armor, it would make a nice mobile shotgun.

I know MWO isn't an exact translation, but check this out: CPLT-C4

The trick is likely your back armor. If it's maxed, reduce it. You probably only need it to be 1/3 to 1/2 your max front armor in that section. That can free up a LOT of tonnage. I think the CT slots on the C4 in BTech are probably support slots only, if that's true you just gotta decide. 2xSL is great for the occasional DFA attack, but if there's even one energy slot the single ML is probably preferable (still leaves room for a gyro upgrade).

If that doesn't work you can drop down to SRM-4s for a launcher on each side and that instantly gives you 2 more tons. Find specials that are +Stab damage and you're gonna hurt stuff bad.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Oh I definitely meant omnimech, my bad.

Looks like the Battle Cobra, Pouncer, and Stormcrow are all in there. I missed the first two because I started at 55 and skipped the Stormcrow because its ugly. By the time I'd gotten through all the 45-tonners I was like "bah!" and came here to complain instead.
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    There are a bunch more that are faster and a few that are slower.

The problem with faster is it costs too much weight. The problem with slower is it's ... well, slower!

I mean, you say that.

But Novas, Huntsmans (Huntsmen?), Black Lanners, and Mongrels all look like they'd be pretty decent in TT. In MWO, at least, the Huntsman is baller af, and Novas can be pretty fierce (well...heavy emphasis on the "can" part).

I guess for me it's about highlighting every aspect of Clan tech superiority. Lots of medium IS 'mechs go 5/8, and carry decent weaponry. Clan 'mechs can carry more weapons and go faster, so I feel like that should be emphasized to really give the finger to the IS.
    When the Clans showed up in the inner sphere their mechs were nothing but advantages; their mechs used tech level 2 for all their energy weapons and ballistics and were consistently hitting harder, shooting farther and tanking absurd ammounts of heat.

And while people tend to focus on clan heavies like the mad dog, timber wolf and thor, the medium weights were a horror show in their own right; the Nova could vomit more damage then anything the inner sphere could field on mech's twice it's size, the Stormcrow B mounts a combo of Ultra AC20 and 6 ERM lasers that it can fire routinely, and the Adder can match an awesome's damage output despite weighing a meager 35 tons.

Hell, even the firemoth was a rude surprise being a mech that moved idiotically fast with Masc (216.4 kph!), allowing it to rapidly insert elemental points deep behind enemy lines.

Really, the only weaknesses that the clans had were in terms of logistics, adjusting to long term warfare and typically starting their bachalls at 2:1 odds against them.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Really, the only weaknesses that the clans had were in terms of logistics, adjusting to long term warfare and typically starting their bachalls at 2:1 odds against them.

I always liked how Tex sums it up in his video about the Mad Cat

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png

The devaluation of experience (older warriors were considered to be a waste) as well as their method of advancing officers based on their ability to fight a series of one on one combats rather than tactical acumen didn’t help.

I may have asked this before. I still don't understand how Resolve works. From what the game is telling me, I should start with around 40 Resolve once combat starts. However, the bar is invariably zero after enemy contact. Now, I can use the ship upgrades to allow me to gain more Resolve every round, but if the Resolve meter on the ship is at 40 or 41, that should be my starting level in a scenario, instead of zero.

Was this a change in 1.7? Am I doing something wrong? For a lance built around high tactics and gunnery, I'm basically at a disadvantage the first couple of rounds of every scenario.

Related: I heard on a YT vid at one point that weapons have an accuracy boost if they're mounted on arms vs. torso. Is this true or is this a TT rule that actually isn't in the PC game?

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Resolve is unintuitive.

In the ship you have a morale counter. As it increases, the rate at which you gain resolve increases.

You always start with the same amount of resolve each battle.

Weapons mounted in the arms get a 5% increase in accuracy.

The devaluation of experience (older warriors were considered to be a waste) as well as their method of advancing officers based on their ability to fight a series of one on one combats rather than tactical acumen didn’t help.

This isn't quite as cut and dried as it appears since clan warriors over the age of 35 didn't just disapear into the aether; those that earned a blood name contiinued to serve in front line galaxies from senior command positions while others who still wanted to fight were transfered to solhama galaxies and used as either shock troopers or garrison troops.

Those that didn't take combat roles used their expierience to help train future generations, ensuring that combat doctrine was persistently evolving as opposed to being rooted in decades old theory.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I may have asked this before. I still don't understand how Resolve works. From what the game is telling me, I should start with around 40 Resolve once combat starts. However, the bar is invariably zero after enemy contact. Now, I can use the ship upgrades to allow me to gain more Resolve every round, but if the Resolve meter on the ship is at 40 or 41, that should be my starting level in a scenario, instead of zero.

Was this a change in 1.7? Am I doing something wrong? For a lance built around high tactics and gunnery, I'm basically at a disadvantage the first couple of rounds of every scenario.

Related: I heard on a YT vid at one point that weapons have an accuracy boost if they're mounted on arms vs. torso. Is this true or is this a TT rule that actually isn't in the PC game?

Morale on the ship (0-50) controls how much baseline Resolve you gain per turn in combat. It's 0, 5, 15, 25, or 35 Resolve per turn depending on the Morale level you have. Eg, you need 31+ Morale to get 25 Resolve per turn. You also gain 10 Resolve destroying one enemy. You always start missions with 0 Resolve.

This is different than the original morale system. Before the change, your ship Morale determined how much Morale you started a mission with. You also gained morale by damage, crits, knockdowns, and a number of other ways besides just kills. But the baseline per turn gain was like 1 Morale.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

This isn't quite as cut and dried as it appears since clan warriors over the age of 35 didn't just disapear into the aether; those that earned a blood name contiinued to serve in front line galaxies from senior command positions while others who still wanted to fight were transfered to solhama galaxies and used as either shock troopers or garrison troops.

Those that didn't take combat roles used their expierience to help train future generations, ensuring that combat doctrine was persistently evolving as opposed to being rooted in decades old theory.

Solamha were commonly used as cannon fodder, or in roles such as garrison duty and hunting pirates that were considered beneath young trueborns.

Warriors who ended up on the Solahma path tended towards fatalistic viewpoints, with those that were still allowed mechs to go for one last shot of glory, while others were reduced to being part of a squad of unarmored infantry that’d be thrown in the path of the enemy to give their forces a chance to regroup or flank attack.

Well I've gone from 0 Orions to 2 and 2/3. Show me your builds!

I have:
    AC20, MLs
    AC10, SRM6, and I think some MLs

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Finally got around to doing the Raven ECM flashpoint. Not half bad! Feels like that one was tuned far better than the one I tried in my last career mode.

Dark_Side wrote: »
    Finally got around to doing the Raven ECM flashpoint. Not half bad! Feels like that one was tuned far better than the one I tried in my last career mode.

So it's not too hard now that AI knows how to counter ECM? I remember the last mission being a total PITA even when ECM was a god-mode, though swinging towards the left side of the map made it a bit easier. It's really one of my least favorite Flashpoint missions but I do it every time anyways to stop that Flashpoint from taking up one of the active FP spots. IIRC it doesn't rotate like the other FPs, just pops right back up if it runs out of time.

Mirkel wrote: »

So it's not too hard now that AI knows how to counter ECM? I remember the last mission being a total PITA even when ECM was a god-mode, though swinging towards the left side of the map made it a bit easier. It's really one of my least favorite Flashpoint missions but I do it every time anyways to stop that Flashpoint from taking up one of the active FP spots. IIRC it doesn't rotate like the other FPs, just pops right back up if it runs out of time.

It did't seem too bad, but I cheese the shit out of base destruction missions by luring the lances away from the turrets.

• BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    I have totally skipped all the DLC for BattleTech so far. I'd played through the original campaign and then tabled it. (When I last played it was all LRM stability damage and knock-downs for days and felt a bit stale.)

Is it worth getting the the Season Pass or any of the DLC?

DS0mQJS.png
    BeornK wrote: »
    I have totally skipped all the DLC for BattleTech so far. I'd played through the original campaign and then tabled it. (When I last played it was all LRM stability damage and knock-downs for days and felt a bit stale.)

They nerfed stability damage quite a bit and changed Bulwark so the gameplay is better than back in the early days.

The DLCs are mostly for Career mode and even though I've gotten a lot of fun out of them I feel they are kinda pricey if you look at how much content they add. Doing the Flashpoints the DLCs add (tiny mercenary campaigns, mostly 3-4 missions long) does make careers a lot more fun since without them there's nothing but the usual missions. You even get to roleplay a bit, decide whether you want to help poor refugees who can't pay you or just ignore them etc.

It never freaking fails. Every single career mode run I do, the first time an enemy Hunchback shows up on the field, it one-shot's something important. This time my Enforcer got CT cored when I just happen to have mech destruction on.

BeornK wrote: »

They nerfed stability damage quite a bit and changed Bulwark so the gameplay is better than back in the early days.

The DLCs are mostly for Career mode and even though I've gotten a lot of fun out of them I feel they are kinda pricey if you look at how much content they add. Doing the Flashpoints the DLCs add (tiny mercenary campaigns, mostly 3-4 missions long) does make careers a lot more fun since without them there's nothing but the usual missions. You even get to roleplay a bit, decide whether you want to help poor refugees who can't pay you or just ignore them etc.

The thing with nerfing bulwark, was that by doing so they made the game more fluid (which isn't bad) but they also made late stage combat much more dangerous; There is simply so much damage coming your way from multiple heavy/assault lances that you are going to be spending scads of time/money repairing your mechs.

What I would have really appreciated would have been a more dynamic approach to enemy force organization; mix more mediums and lights into late stage missions so that we don't have to deal with a zerg rush of 6 atlas, 3 king crabs and 3 awesomes.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Bulwark change didn't do much to change the late game but change things from standing still and firing to hopping between forested tiles and firing. You're still stuck bunkering up because of how dumb the difficulty system is set up; you have to have some way to mitigate the damage from those masses of LRM and long-range fire, or else you're just going to get shredded badly by the absurd piles of assault mechs.

Like, What makes those early missions so much easier isn't neccesarily that the Opfor is trying to overwhelm you with Locusts and spiders so much as them being god aweful in terms of stats and as such struggle to hit anything or stay standing when they get hit.

Having a system where the AI combines heavies and assaults to form a front line/fire battery while lights and mediums flank would make things much more interesting and much more accurate to the time period in question, particularly since in this part of the periphery at this time, their were probably around 70 active assault mechs tops due to them being expensive as hell to maintain and not particularly good for much other then garrisoning and making the planetary governor feel important.

That we're seeing whole companies of them deployed in random battles is a bit absurd.

I think HBS knows that the end-game 4-5 skull combat isn't that fun, which is why both the campaign and the flashpoints are mostly in 1.5 to 4 skull range. I don't know about others but I just finish my career runs once I have most flashpoints done and have a lance with good heavies. It's just all downhill from there in my experience.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I think HBS knows that the end-game 4-5 skull combat isn't that fun, which is why both the campaign and the flashpoints are mostly in 1.5 to 4 skull range. I don't know about others but I just finish my career runs once I have most flashpoints done and have a lance with good heavies. It's just all downhill from there in my experience.

I don’t (because Pokémon) but the game would be much better if I did.

Well I've gone from 0 Orions to 2 and 2/3. Show me your builds!

I have:
    AC20, MLs
    AC10, SRM6, and I think some MLs

Picked up a Orion-V variant that I'm currently setting up as a missile boat, ala my previous Centurions.

Almost got a Cataphract but I decided to grab weapons and mods instead.

Still waiting to see an Atlas.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    It never freaking fails. Every single career mode run I do, the first time an enemy Hunchback shows up on the field, it one-shot's something important. This time my Enforcer got CT cored when I just happen to have mech destruction on.

Yeah, Hunchbacks will absolutely, completely, and thoroughly fuck your shit. I alpha those fuckers really carefully when they show up until I'm in bigger stuff and even then I kinda poop myself a bit if a 4P shows up cause I don't care how big your mech is, that many Medium Lasers will still ruin your day pretty quickly. Stability damage is definitely your friend once you start getting into the tiers where HBKs start showing up so don't be shy with the LRMs and hang on to your called shots so a high gunnery/tactics alpha boat can roast them.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited October 2019
    That was the most frustrating part, I put 2 full rounds of damage into that bastard the minute he came out of fog, but the best I got was crit'ing his AC20, which he still pulled an insane luck shot off with. But that's been an issue this entire run, the lance is spreading damage like crazy; low hp parts are lasting forever and enemy mechs are surviving through round after round of focus fire.Though part of it is that I'm being lazy about lining up off to the side of enemy mechs to focus on torso removal.

Dark_Side on
    But that's been an issue this entire run, the lance is spreading damage like crazy; low hp parts are lasting forever and enemy mechs are surviving through round after round of focus fire.

That sounds like a case of bad tactics. Firing at enemy mechs from the front is usually a waste of time, you are often better off sprinting or jumping and bracing than just hoping for a good shot. Either fire from the side, from behind, do a precision shot or move, move, move.

Obviously there's tons of exceptions like tagging enemies when you are defending something or LRM boats that have no way of flanking enemy forces since they are far away.

My hope is that heavy metal does something to address this; not being able to insert supperior components into mechs for fear of multiple awesome/ctapult/LRM carrier lances gutting my team is up there with passing kidney stones and getting kicked by a horse on the list of things I want to do with my free time.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Has anybody made/released a mod that makes it so your "character creation" choices (faction, etc) affects what 'mech/variant you start with?

That'd be neat.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Has anybody made/released a mod that makes it so your "character creation" choices (faction, etc) affects what 'mech/variant you start with?

That'd be neat.

BE3025 CE changes what starting mechs you can get according to your faction. It also changes them to be mostly crappy lights so it just changes what particular flavor of crap you get. :P

I was always bummed they didn't design it so your starting mech switched up based on character choices, but I suppose people would just game the choices to get multiple shadowhawks and stomp the early campaign.